Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Prince of Darkness 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.96
1 day ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$39.98
1 day ago
Coming to America 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Beverly Hills Cop 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
The Conjuring Universe: 6-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.50

Three Films by Luis Bu˝uel (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Lupin III: The First (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Evil Dead / Evil Dead 2 (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 day ago
Sergeant York (Blu-ray)
$17.99
14 hrs ago
The Town (Blu-ray)
$14.00
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #1581
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008
Wakanda

I want Snow White and Fantasia but do no want to pay the high prices. Hopefully these are rereleased soon.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #1582

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeagles5039 View Post
I want Snow White and Fantasia but do no want to pay the high prices. Hopefully these are rereleased soon.
They'll finish their Diamond Edition line before re-releasing Snow White. Aladdin won't be released until October, then probably pinocchio in the fall.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #1583
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeagles5039 View Post
I'm guessing this Diamond line and the concurrent line of Special Editions could quite possibly be the last time these films are released on physical home media.
There's every chance you may only have a Digital-only option in a few years time.

That's why everyone's so antsy about the remainder of these canon titles being released. At the pace things are moving and the way things are changing re: physical home media, it kind of feels like it's now or never for these titles.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #1584
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsays View Post
They'll finish their Diamond Edition line before re-releasing Snow White. Aladdin won't be released until October, then probably pinocchio in the fall.

It would be a boon to the UHD Blu-ray format if the next classics cycle started with 2160p, 10 bit, cinema DCI-P3 color, and Dolby Atmos or DTS:X immersive audio (they already remix to 7.1, so why not go all the way?).

Animation would POP off the screen in UHD.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #1585
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
It would be a boon to the UHD Blu-ray format if the next classics cycle started with 2160p, 10 bit, cinema DCI-P3 color, and Dolby Atmos or DTS:X immersive audio (they already remix to 7.1, so why not go all the way?).

Animation would POP off the screen in UHD.
I honestly don't see the UHD format lasting long on physical media, there'll be a hue push to digital.

I was at a seminar with Jeffrey Katzenberg last year and he mentioned that the industry is moving towards strictly no physical media within the next 10 years. It'll be completely digital and you'll pay for titles depending on the size of your screen.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #1586
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
I honestly don't see the UHD format lasting long on physical media, there'll be a hue push to digital.

I was at a seminar with Jeffrey Katzenberg last year and he mentioned that the industry is moving towards strictly no physical media within the next 10 years. It'll be completely digital and you'll pay for titles depending on the size of your screen.
That happens and you will be on your knees begging for the return of physical media.

And besides, 10 years is about the life cycle of a format anyway. What I think he's saying is that UHD Blu-ray will be the last of the physical media. The infrastructure isn't there for that kind of internet load at this time.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:46 AM   #1587
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

Quote:
God that sounds absolutely dreadful.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not 100% anti-digital. It CAN be great. Like, I love using Netflix because it IS very convenient for when I just wanna have something on in the background and not have to worry about switching discs and stuff, but I also like being able to watch what I want to watch when I want to. I hate the idea of not having access to something just because it's taken off a server or there's a bad Internet connection or something.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:19 AM   #1588
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
God that sounds absolutely dreadful.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not 100% anti-digital. It CAN be great. Like, I love using Netflix because it IS very convenient for when I just wanna have something on in the background and not have to worry about switching discs and stuff, but I also like being able to watch what I want to watch when I want to. I hate the idea of not having access to something just because it's taken off a server or there's a bad Internet connection or something.
I knowww, I'm really not looking forward to it!

It's just another way of controlling how and when we watch everything.
Disney would have an absolute field day, you'd buy a film from the classics canon for a limited time and then have them dump it off the server (back in the vault), revoke your rights to it for 7 years then make you pay for a limited license again. Sad thing is I can actually see that happening.

In the seminar Katzenburg also touched on films soon having very short three week runs at the cinema then being made available on digitally either immediately after the cinema run (day after!) or concurrently with the cinema run... So you'll have the choice to watch a new release in cinema or at home.
Sounds really sucky.
Anyway, enough on that, I guess this isn't the forum for such discussion...
Old 05-15-2015, 02:32 AM   #1589
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Mr. Katzenberg has been having a rough time of late, four write-downs for box office failures, losing production space, firing 500 employees...He's still the guy who said there was no future in computer animation, so I don't have much faith in his crystal ball.
Thanks given by:
disneywildcat (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #1590
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
In the seminar Katzenburg also touched on films soon having very short three week runs at the cinema then being made available on digitally either immediately after the cinema run (day after!) or concurrently with the cinema run... So you'll have the choice to watch a new release in cinema or at home.
While I don't doubt he said that, the fact that we haven't heard it again since then makes me believe it was merely an idea being tossed around that he let spill. Movie studios are a fairly dim group, but they love money and this strategy would absolutely KILL box office grosses. The masses would avoid paying the premium prices of seeing a film at a cinema and wait three weeks to watch it at home. Pirating would also become a much bigger problem than it is now. If HD digital files of the film were released three weeks after their theatrical debut and people had a choice to pirate the film or pay $20 for a digital copy of it, a huge amount of people would go the free route just out of convenience. This would be a mistake that could cost studios hundreds of millions of dollars. Not a risk I see any major studios taking any time soon.

Let's look at Avatar as an example as it's the highest grossing film of all-time. It made roughly $760 million domestic. $379 million in the first three weeks. $381 million in weeks 4 through the end of its run. Had they removed it from theatres and released it digitally at that point they would have missed out on over half of the total domestic gross, Plus, you'd have to take in to account the probability that box office numbers wouldn't be as good during the three weeks due to the fact that a digital home version was coming in less than a month. Sure, $20 per digital copy times millions of home viewers would make up for some of the lost cash, but when you factor in the number of Blu-rays and DVDs the film sold, digital likely wouldn't be enough to even scratch the surface of the potential full-run theatrical + physical media earnings.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #1591

Jun 2012
Default Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD)

Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD):

Release date: August 18th, 2015

This is a collection of the recent WDAS shorts including Frozen Fever, Tangled Ever After, Paperman, Feast, etc. They probably realized they can cash in on Frozen Fever instead of throwing it on another Blu-ray release as a bonus feature.

Cover art:

Source:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-...n=786936846447

Let's just hope the rest of the canon films will also be announced for August 18th.
Thanks given by:
MJW (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #1592
Power Member

Feb 2011

Ok, so this sucks.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #1593
Expert Member

Sep 2010

Snore.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #1594

Apr 2009

Or, we can support it and show them that there is a market for Wdas shorts on blu...
Thanks given by:
HD Canuck (05-16-2015), MJW (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #1595
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Urghhhh... Surely if this has just been announced the other titles should just be right around the corner?? Perhaps sometimes later this afternoon??
Old 05-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #1596

Dec 2010

I'm curious about the full list for this shorts release. The cover shows "Lorenzo," which has not been released on disc before, so I hope we'll get some more rarities.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #1597
Power Member

Oct 2012
NC

Surprised there hasn't been official for Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection release. I already knew about this set a few months ago which Disney was working on (couldn't say but made a hint on the Frozen threat). This is all I know and the shorts that would be included unless Disney made some changes.

Shorts on this set:
-John Henry
-Lorenzo
-The Little Matchgirl
-How To Hookup Your Home Theater
-Tick Tock Tale
-Prep and Landing: Operation Santa
-The Ballad of Nessie
-Tangled Ever After
-Paperman
-Get A Horse
-Feast
-Frozen Fever

Unsure about bonus features. I'm guessing an official announcement would be soon (maybe along with other titles). DVD is also in the works for those DVD buyers unless Disney scratch that plan. If sales are good there's a possibility of Volume 2.
Thanks given by:
HD Canuck (05-16-2015), movieben1138 (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #1598
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmEntertainment View Post
Unsure about bonus features. I'm guessing an official announcement would be soon (maybe along with other titles). DVD is also in the works for those DVD buyers unless Disney scratch that plan. If sales are good there's a possibility of Volume 2.

And a lot of those shorts were rendered in 3D and of course there's no 3D Blu-ray, being Disney and all.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #1599
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
AZ, USA
Default Official Disney Animated Films on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
And a lot of those shorts were rendered in 3D and of course there's no 3D Blu-ray, being Disney and all.

It would only affect 5 of these shorts. That would have a runtime less than 40 minutes.

Either way, let's show Disney that shorts should be released on physical media!
Old 05-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #1600
Expert Member

May 2011

Disney can eat my shorts for all I care. Just give me the package movies and TBC already!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
animated, animation, canon, classics, disney, official, pixar, release, status