Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Superman I-IV 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$97.99
 
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Cliffhanger 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
15 hrs ago
Heat 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
2 hrs ago
Watchmen 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
20 hrs ago
Zack Snyder's Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
2 hrs ago
Jesus Revolution (Blu-ray)
$30.40
1 day ago
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
65 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.16
 
Assassin's Creed 4K (Blu-ray)
$5.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default Object Based Broadcasting/Perceptive media

This technology could change film forever and not in a good way. Film and tv that changes according to a individualís preferences, in other words no longer a shared experience. This technology is still being developed and is expected this decade from several big companies in the U.K. and US.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/12/4/9...hoever-watches

Essentially, instead of a film being edited then sent to mass audiences, it will be divided into objects such as a frame of film, a line of dialogue, a piece of music, an onscreen object etc..
This is then rearranged according to a individualís profile and preference with metadata being attached to each object to suggest how it could be rearranged. It sounds dreadful.

It will ruin the shared experience of film in the HT or living room as every individual would have a unique profile.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #2
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
615
2124
37
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Just too much,

Maybe this is why there are several channels or several movies instead of just one that becomes exactly what you want.

I think the best reason not to worry about this idea is because it's patently ridiculous. It may be easier just to create the Matrix.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Just too much,

Maybe this is why there are several channels or several movies instead of just one that becomes exactly what you want.

I think the best reason not to worry about this idea is because it's patently ridiculous. It may be easier just to create the Matrix.
According to them itís going to be subtle. Inserting your favourite pizza store in a scene (via advertising kiosks or whatever a character walks past or changing the colour grading of a scene to alter the mood. Also, using music you like (in Spotify or Apple Music) to play over a dramatic scene.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
615
2124
37
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
According to them it’s going to be subtle. Inserting your favourite pizza store in a scene (via advertising kiosks or whatever a character walks past or changing the colour grading of a scene to alter the mood. Also, using music you like (in Spotify or Apple Music) to play over a dramatic scene.
I do like ads for things I like or especially things I already own.

I really don't like ads though.

So this is a way of pitching ads .... that makes sense.

I think if you willingly use some services now it's practically an interactive ad.

-Brian
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Surprised more people don’t know about this. It’s going to be as big as colour, stereo sound and DVD. It’s not just another tech, it’s intended as a replacement for the old ways of broadcasting and streaming. It’s going to shake things up forever, for good or bad.

It would be wrong to think of it as just a opportunity for targeted ads though, it’s meant to be hyper focussed on personalisation.

Let me give you two examples. One subtle, one dramatic

Subtle

A woman stands by a merry go round, she seems lost in thought. Music changes from cheery, upbeat stuff in one scene to dark and broody. The colour grading alters also, one scene is bright and colourful, one is desaturated and shot with dull browns and green tint.

In other words, the same scene but with two different reels to match your mood or profile for that moment.

Dramatic

A character is being stalked in his/her home by a masked man. When the phone rings it’s the villain on the other line but rather than phoning the character being stalked, the film has actually phoned your mobile. When you pick up, it’s the villain speaking to you and asking something. Your reply impacts the victim and what the villain does next.

The subtle example doesn’t require interaction at all

The dramatic example is just one of the possibilities that will be available. Alternatively it could use your Alexa to add subtle effects such as whispering to the dialogue or maybe increase the loudness of certain sound effects depending on where it’s placed.

If you are using a tablet, you may be able to look at the same data that a onscreen character is researching. The tv would display the action and your iPad could give you a detailed view of whatever the character is looking at. This could all be done via layered objects in the stream or broadcast.

My opinion is that it stinks of gimmicks but I can see the subtle version being a success sadly. Maybe even the extreme side of things.

Last edited by Steedeel; 07-16-2021 at 02:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
513
4682
3706
1265
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Surprised more people don’t know about this. It’s going to be as big as colour, stereo sound and DVD. It’s not just another tech, it’s intended as a replacement for the old ways of broadcasting and streaming. It’s going to shake things up forever, for good or bad.

It would be wrong to think of it as just a opportunity for targeted ads though, it’s meant to be hyper focussed on personalisation.

Let me give you two examples. One subtle, one dramatic

Subtle

A woman stands by a merry go round, she seems lost in thought. Music changes from cheery, upbeat stuff in one scene to dark and broody. The colour grading alters also, one scene is bright and colourful, one is desaturated and shot with dull browns and green tint.

In other words, the same scene but with two different reels to match your mood or profile for that moment.

Dramatic

A character is being stalked in his/her home by a masked man. When the phone rings it’s the villain on the other line but rather than phoning the character being stalked, the film has actually phoned your mobile. When you pick up, it’s the villain speaking to you and asking something. Your reply impacts the victim and what the villain does next.

The subtle example doesn’t require interaction at all

The dramatic example is just one of the possibilities that will be available. Alternatively it could use your Alexa to add subtle effects such as whispering to the dialogue or maybe increase the loudness of certain sound effects depending on where it’s placed.

If you are using a tablet, you may be able to look at the same data that a onscreen character is researching. The tv would display the action and your iPad could give you a detailed view of whatever the character is looking at. This could all be done via layered objects in the stream or broadcast.

My opinion is that it stinks of gimmicks but I can see the subtle version being a success sadly. Maybe even the extreme side of things.
It really won't amount to anything. This is just you over reacting to another imaginary threat. You view every new idea as a mortal danger to our very way of life. I could make a mile long list of all the different things that you have said would be the end of one thing or another. You have blamed everyone and everything from vegans to millenials to Quibi for all manner of impending dooms. So much , so little substance.

Relax. No one is replacing anything. Shared viewing experiences are safe and sound. Having new choices does not automatically mean the elimination of existing ones. No one is going to make you do anything that you do not want to do. You said in your first post that OBB sounds "dreadful", then the solution is just don't use it. It's really that simple. Don't do things that you dislike doing.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-16-2021 at 03:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #7
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

I Googled Object Based Broadcasting/Perceptive media and found almost all the articles and PDFs are related to the BBC and the UK. I found nothing for the US. So is this a regional proposal?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:06 PM   #8
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
I Googled Object Based Broadcasting/Perceptive media and found almost all the articles and PDFs are related to the BBC and the UK. I found nothing for the US. So is this a regional proposal?
It was but I believe US companies are onboard now. Comcast owned Sky are involved with the audio side (Object based audio) which is at a far more advanced stage.

This is a tech that will be rolled out globally once itís proven to work and at scale.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:56 AM   #9
unberechenbar unberechenbar is online now
Blu-ray Duke
 
May 2021
USA
5
255
255
215
3
Default

This feels like a last gasp of broadcast television to be relevant. I don't see it replacing or being adopted by the film industry or streaming services since on-demand content is all the rage right now. And technically speaking, isn't Dolby Atmos already an example of object-based audio? It would be unfortunate if it fell victim to being used for such a nefarious purpose.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 04:07 AM   #10
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
This feels like a last gasp of broadcast television to be relevant. I don't see it replacing or being adopted by the film industry or streaming services since on-demand content is all the rage right now. And technically speaking, isn't Dolby Atmos already an example of object-based audio? It would be unfortunate if it fell victim to being used for such a nefarious purpose.
Broadcast TV is getting a HUGE face lift with ATSC 3.0. TVs equipped with 3.0 tuners will be out in Q4.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 04:13 AM   #11
unberechenbar unberechenbar is online now
Blu-ray Duke
 
May 2021
USA
5
255
255
215
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Broadcast TV is getting a HUGE face lift with ATSC 3.0. TVs equipped with 3.0 tuners will be out in Q4.
I'd like to be excited for it (have the X900H with an ATSC 3.0 tuner) but from what I've read in areas that have upgraded to it (mine hasn't yet) the broadcasts are still in 1080 resolution. That said it's still early days and I'm hoping they do more with it in the coming years, whether it's adding HDR, increasing resolution, or improving audio quality.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #12
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
This feels like a last gasp of broadcast television to be relevant. I don't see it replacing or being adopted by the film industry or streaming services since on-demand content is all the rage right now. And technically speaking, isn't Dolby Atmos already an example of object-based audio? It would be unfortunate if it fell victim to being used for such a nefarious purpose.
Yep, Atmos is object based.

I’m not so sure, I certainly hope it doesn’t have impact but it seems to big a deal to me.
The service will be IP driven as BBC already have a very popular internet service (BBC IPlayer). Technically, it’s a on demand streaming service that would carry this tech, not traditional broadcast via a box or digital Arial.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Broadcast TV is getting a HUGE face lift with ATSC 3.0. TVs equipped with 3.0 tuners will be out in Q4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
I'd like to be excited for it (have the X900H with an ATSC 3.0 tuner) but from what I've read in areas that have upgraded to it (mine hasn't yet) the broadcasts are still in 1080 resolution. That said it's still early days and I'm hoping they do more with it in the coming years, whether it's adding HDR, increasing resolution, or improving audio quality.
There is no way they will focus on 4K with this stuff. It will be more like trying to squeeze more HD channels in there. I donít see a massive uptick. Just more channels with obvious compression.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
There is no way they will focus on 4K with this stuff. It will be more like trying to squeeze more HD channels in there. I don’t see a massive uptick. Just more channels with obvious compression.
They will offer 4K HDR. It just won't be native. It will be 1080P HDR upscaled to 2160P HDR. Same way the Super Bowl was shown. Just like many of the UHD-BDs that are available.

Keep in mind that ATSC 3.0 is a combo of OTA and IP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #15
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
They will offer 4K HDR. It just won't be native. It will be 1080P HDR upscaled to 2160P HDR. Same way the Super Bowl was shown. Just like many of the UHD-BDs that are available.

Keep in mind that ATSC 3.0 is a combo of OTA and IP.
History has taught us that they go for cost savings and more channels.

There may be one or two showcase 4K channels but that will be it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:43 AM   #16
cheez avenger cheez avenger is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
374
1050
9
Default

The article in the OP is from 2015, so what's come of it since in 2015 in 2021? The only thing I can think of is when you rate stuff (like/dislike) on Netflix and other streaming services. I know they had interactive episode(s) of Black Mirror and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but that's about it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Vilya (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 05:28 AM   #17
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
513
4682
3706
1265
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
The article in the OP is from 2015, so what's come of it since in 2015 in 2021? The only thing I can think of is when you rate stuff (like/dislike) on Netflix and other streaming services. I know they had interactive episode(s) of Black Mirror and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but that's about it.
2015! If OBB was going to take the world by storm you'd think it would at least be a blip on the radar 6 years later in 2021. It isn't.

There was other big news in 2015: Physical media's imminent death was being predicted back then, too. Hasn't happened last I looked. Everyone knows the future.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lee A Stewart (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #18
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
The article in the OP is from 2015, so what's come of it since in 2015 in 2021? The only thing I can think of is when you rate stuff (like/dislike) on Netflix and other streaming services. I know they had interactive episode(s) of Black Mirror and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but that's about it.
This is not interactive in that sense, it’s a new way of streaming content that changes content in relation to the viewer’s mood or preferences in real time. It’s not ‘choose your own adventure’. The reason some articles are old is that it’s been in development since 2012. This is about a whole new way of transmitting and it was never going to be overnight. The first examples are expected to be simple stuff like adjusted audio for each individual or clearer graphics for the vision impaired. It will know if you are hard of hearing and automatically offer a signer or captions of your choice. The more it knows about you, the more advanced it will become. Content creators over time will adapt the technology to be more immersive. This will include music tastes, personalised content integrated into streams (local weather, colour grading to reflect your mood, your favourite food and drink etc..

The timeline was around 2023-2024. Of course, Object based audio is already here as Dolby Atmos and has been implemented in several cable and satellite services.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 02:38 PM   #19
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
513
4682
3706
1265
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
This is not interactive in that sense, it’s a new way of streaming content that changes content in relation to the viewer’s mood or preferences in real time. It’s not ‘choose your own adventure’. The reason some articles are old is that it’s been in development since 2012. This is about a whole new way of transmitting and it was never going to be overnight. The first examples are expected to be simple stuff like adjusted audio for each individual or clearer graphics for the vision impaired. It will know if you are hard of hearing and automatically offer a signer or captions of your choice. The more it knows about you, the more advanced it will become. Content creators over time will adapt the technology to be more immersive. This will include music tastes, personalised content integrated into streams (local weather, colour grading to reflect your mood, your favourite food and drink etc..

The timeline was around 2023-2024. Of course, Object based audio is already here as Dolby Atmos and has been implemented in several cable and satellite services.
You're really reaching for something that just ain't there. If OBB had any legs, we would see some footprints by now. We haven't. You are basing this entire thread on an ancient 6 year-old article that is about as long and as substantive as a tweet. If there was anything to this story, you really should be able to offer something recent about it.

Trying to use Atmos audio as evidence that object based broadcasting has begun to have an impact is ridiculous; there is nothing interactive about Dolby Atmos; it is just an audio track option. You either play it or you don't: that's the limit of your choice. It in no way changes the narrative structure of the movie being watched and it is not "personalized" by any choices made by the viewer.

The people that insisted that physical media was doomed back in 2015 use the same defense that you just did for OBB's lack of growth: it was not going to happen "overnight." Those that predicted the certain death of discs back in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and still in 2021 have been saying the exact same thing: it won't happen "overnight." You sound just like them; your and their predictions can't possibly be wrong; they just haven't happened yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #20
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
You're really reaching for something that just ain't there. If OBB had any legs, we would see some footprints by now. We haven't. You are basing this entire thread on an ancient 6 year-old article that is about as long and as substantive as a tweet. If there was anything to this story, you really should be able to offer something recent about it.

Trying to use Atmos audio as evidence that object based broadcasting has begun to have an impact is ridiculous; there is nothing interactive about Dolby Atmos; it is just an audio track option. You either play it or you don't: that's the limit of your choice. It in no way changes the narrative structure of the movie being watched and it is not "personalized" by any choices made by the viewer.

The people that insisted that physical media was doomed back in 2015 use the same defense that you just did for OBB's lack of growth: it was not going to happen "overnight." Those that predicted the certain death of discs back in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and still in 2021 have been saying the exact same thing: it won't happen "overnight." You sound just like them; your and their predictions can't possibly be wrong; they just haven't happened yet.
Dolby Atmos is actually built on Object Based Audio technology. It literally IS object based audio.

The interactive side of it comes from the choice of enhancing certain sounds within a stream. For example, increasing spatial audio for crowds or enhancing instruments for a concert. You may want to give vocalists more emphasis or even backing singers.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...mos-we-explore

This explains it better. I have been following this stuff for years, I know what Iím talking about mate.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:08 AM.