Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42

2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
14 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Logan Lucky 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.44

Reign of the Supermen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Justice League vs The Fatal Five 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

The Mule 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

The Maze Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.71

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #8501
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
I'm considering purchasing my first 4K TV.

OLED and 3D are a must I'm afraid, which as best I can tell leaves me with the 2016 LG OLEDs as my only option. Most likely I'll go with a 55E6.

What sort of HDR experience should I expect to get from this TV, specifically combined with a Sony X700?

I have read about a number of worrying issues with HDR that are apparently display dependent. Goodfellas in HDR for example looks very poor on certain displays. I've researched the reasons why but I've been unable to figure out which displays would produce the problem. Would the E6?

Dolby Vision is also apparently very problematic on some displays, specifically a raised blacks issue? Is this something I would expect to suffer from with the E6? I ask because I understand the E6 is not a very bright TV, and that I should not expect much when it comes to bright HDR scenes, and that instead DV would give better results overall, even forced DV in some cases. But this seems pointless if DV ruins the black levels on certain displays, especially an OLED, which is sort of the whole point...
I don't have a 3D OLED TV, but reading from the people who do, it's the best 3D experience ever from an OLED TV...the last of the Mohicans...2016 LG OLED 3D model, near top in line...E6. We are in 2019, I thought they didn't sell 2016 models anymore? You found one on eBay, a used one from a friend, one in a pawnshop, in storage, ...?

Check in the LG E6 3D OLED TV 4K UHD HDR thread where the owners share their experience with passive 1080p 3D ... like here @ forum.blu-ray.dot.com/

Lucky if you get a brand new LG OLED HDR 3D TV from 2016. If LG was still making those but with the 2019 more advanced technology they would probably rule the world. ...More than all the oil, guns, telecommunication network (5G cells) industries combined together.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 02-19-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #8502
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
The US is a very small fraction of the global 3D vision.
I have high hope in Alita for the North American 3D Blu-ray release.
But I also have zero illusion. And it doesn't bother me one single bit.
It's very easy to do business in the UK, in France, anywhere in the world where they are open for real business...(((3D)))
Wherever there are Blu-ray 3D releases, I will be there! . Wait a moment! Didn’t you say you don’t care about disc releases? Less plastic in the world is a good thing in Your book?

Last edited by Steedeel; 02-19-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #8503
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...e#post16043142

^ -> this too (from not too long ago)…..

(https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745960...=tt_cl_sm#cast)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #8504

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
All I know is I have always got top value for money from TC. He seems to have high standards for himself every time he signs up for a new movie and I respect the heck out of that. He just wants to give the best he can I think.

Thanks for the posts by the way.
Tom Cruise intensely researches the role and experiences as much as he can firsthand, so as to make the characters he plays better for audiences, e.g. from last September - https://twitter.com/chaosinhere/stat...12261146521600
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #8505

Apr 2007

Quote:
¤ https://www.redsharknews.com/technol...ojector-screen
....Let's ask the industry insider experts right here...Penton, Kris, and other video gurus calibration staff.
sorry, no time now to read that article and discuss, meanwhile -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLr0qsdKXRE#t=38m14s
(https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...t#post15777410)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #8506
Expert Member

May 2017
Earth v1.1, awaiting v2.0
Talking This post only applies to Salty, your mileage may vary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Staying Salty, your turn
bedtime for me
Today I viewed Alita for the third time. The last time I felt this way for a movie, was when a star destroyer flew over my head in 1977 and it took months for me to pick my jaw off the ground. I eventually saw Star Wars 17 times in the theater. So no need to go into detail of my impressions here, on the beauty of the Alita movie.

My general comments: I saw this movie twice in IMAX 3D last week and today in a new theater with a laser projector, 2D, and Atmos sound. I thoroughly enjoyed the 3D presentation. Today’s 2D presentation took it to another level however. The screen was much brighter than the 3D and the detail that could be seen in Alita’s face and the texture of her clothes was just phenomenal. I certainly believe it will be even better on a high end 4K display. I also liked the Dolby Atmos sound better than the IMAX sound.

So Salty’s rating on a scale of one to five:

IMAX 3D , laser projection 2D , and my eventual home experience
Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM   #8507
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Wherever there are Blu-ray 3D releases, I will be there! . Wait a moment! Didn’t you say you don’t care about disc releases? Less plastic in the world is a good thing in Your book?
4K and Dolby Vision and HDR you can stream.
3D ... try to stream 3D on Netflux, YouTube, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Vudu, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google, FOX, ...

* Plastic as in 4K BR players made by Samsung. ...To be more exactly precise in the context I said it in that exact time frame.

No I am a phan of fysical discs, no doubt...4K, 3D, BR, SACD, BR Audio, DVD Audio, LP, CD, HDCD, 33, 45, 15, ... Maxwell.
Thanks given by:
PaulGo (Yesterday), Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM   #8508
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
It's ok Penton, it's not very important anyway...it's only for front projector people, the minority of the video film movie cinema IMAX Dolby Cinema Cineramax 70mm wide screen aspect ratio business industry for large movie screens to experience moving pictures in grand class @ home and maybe @ the larger cinema venues in addition to direct large LED flat panels from any size, in 4K HDR ... 300 inches wide if you like. ...All with perfect pitch dark blacks in high dynamic range plus, and DV and all that movie jazz in black & white like the film 'Cold War' that I recommended to you prior, and even if it's not Tom Cruise or Chuck Norris or Top Gun: Maverick.

Tom Cruise is worth way more money than the film director of 'Cold War' who cannot afford color cameras and is monitoring on old 4:3 screen aspect ratio monitors.
Even his actors couldn't get into one language for all; he had to let them all speak their own languages...six of them all together in his film.

Carbon Black would probably never fly anyway, unlike Maverick.
Those Navy guys sure well know how to make/invent fake stories on Facebook and Twitter.
It's a good thing that they have Navy officials to direct them in the proper order.
Discipline is important on a Navy ship, very.
Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM   #8509
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
4K and Dolby Vision and HDR you can stream.
3D ... try to stream 3D on Netflux, YouTube, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Vudu, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google, FOX, ...

* Plastic as in 4K BR players made by Samsung. ...To be more exactly precise in the context I said it in that exact time frame.

No I am a phan of fysical discs, no doubt...4K, 3D, BR, SACD, BR Audio, DVD Audio, LP, CD, HDCD, 33, 45, 15, ... Maxwell.
Ah, ok. My bad sorry.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM   #8510

Apr 2007

Quote:
It's ok Penton,...
not sure if the over than 100,00 views in less than 2 weeks since 2/7 - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...n#post16059461

has been mostly related to exclusive postings about Top Gun: Maverick or HDR, 4K and beyond, but congrats to all the contributors for the past couple weeks
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #8511
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Ah, ok. My bad sorry.
I never saw any bad.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM   #8512
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
not sure if the over than 100,00 views in less than 2 weeks since 2/7 - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...n#post16059461

has been mostly related to exclusive postings about Top Gun: Maverick or HDR, 4K and beyond, but congrats to all the contributors for the past couple weeks
No doubt you are noticing the same statistics than I do.

My guess: HDR certainly as it is the main title, but more importantly your positive feedback on all things fun in life, including Top Gun: Maverick, your educative and fun insights, the good contributers/members/readership who all appreciate all good stuff, filmmaking, moving pictures, fighter jets, behind the scenes, photos, videos, articles, great links, humorous lines and YouTube videos, somehow all chain related together in a spirit of harmony, good camaraderie, smart advancement in living life happy and more knowledgeable.

Penton-Man you are number one and you encourage team work.
That @ the end is what pays off, what brings a large audience to your positive vision sharing all things HDR and beyond.

That's my best guess.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM   #8513
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

...And of course Bruce, the thread starter, less than three years ago.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...28&postcount=1

His opening is/was . . . perfect.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #8514
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
...And of course Bruce, the thread starter, less than three years ago.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...28&postcount=1

His opening is/was . . . perfect.
Both Penton Man and Bruce are huge contributors. No doubt about that. Both offering different but equally interesting content.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #8515
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

They are both avant-gardistes in the visuel evolution of best moving pictures on all levels...HDR and 8K included. It suits everyone else with a similar vision.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #8516

Apr 2007

underway
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #8517
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
underway
where?
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM   #8518

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
where?

anything beyond that ^ -->

I will tell you this though – “SMPTE's Essential Technology Concepts Webcast Series will cover topics such as human perception, imaging physics, the fundamentals of color science, sound systems, and more.”
(https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/.../02/04/UN42021)

more” includes an upcoming free (open to all) webcast planned on the newly bolded –
Quote:

Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #8519
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

116,000 views in two weeks. That's 8,285.71428571 views on average every single day.
Old Today, 01:42 AM   #8520
Power Member

Nov 2006
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
underway
Not on a sub though, or there would be no posting! Hope you don't get seasick on that easy target you're riding on!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology