Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 12 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.49
 
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
 
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Supernatural: The Complete Thirteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.32
 
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99
 
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Forty Guns (Blu-ray)
$22.97
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #501
Christian Muth Christian Muth is offline
Expert Member
 
Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
given how much raw footage Malick generally shoots, that's really not that surprising that additional non-integrated footage would wind up in the trailer.
No doubt, but I wonder if those scenes were in that earlier "finished" version, which I suspect was the source of the Interpositve that Criterion mentions in their technical notes re: the extended cut. The scene with the Chastain dialogue falls in the screenplay which can be found on-line on pages 47-49, BTW, in case anybody wants to check it out.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #502
JohnCarpenterFan JohnCarpenterFan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
JohnCarpenterFan's Avatar
 
Jun 2015
294
Default

I can see why the extended version didn't receive much coverage in reviews. I watched it and could barely spot anything that was different from my last viewing of the theatrical cut despite it being a whopping fifty minutes longer.

That's not to say it's bad but it's definately not like a new movie like I've heard it be promoted as. Think I'll just stick with the theatrical cut from here on out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #503
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
297
15
37
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post
I can see why the extended version didn't receive much coverage in reviews. I watched it and could barely spot anything that was different from my last viewing of the theatrical cut despite it being a whopping fifty minutes longer.

That's not to say it's bad but it's definately not like a new movie like I've heard it be promoted as. Think I'll just stick with the theatrical cut from here on out.
Watched the extended cut the other night and I completely agree with you.

The idea that this version contains some sort of alternate narrative was just a clever marketing ploy by Mulvaney and Co.

Terry just added a bunch of deleted scenes that expand on what’s already there.

The only difference between ToL and Fire Walk With Me is that David Lynch presented his deleted scenes as a separate special feature, instead of putting them back in the movie.

Still a great cut though.

...the extra scenes are worth the price of admission.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #504
Dortmunder Dortmunder is offline
Active Member
 
Dortmunder's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
1
Default

Criterion feature on the process for the new release ~

https://www.criterion.com/current/po...w-tree-of-life

"The Tree of Life" archive...? ~




.

Last edited by Dortmunder; 10-02-2018 at 01:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #505
Arawn Arawn is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Arawn's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Default

* Indiana Jones theme music plays *
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dubstar (10-02-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #506
Pieter V Pieter V is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Pieter V's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Netherlands
1
14
Default

https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=4907
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #507
IXOYE1989 IXOYE1989 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aug 2015
Dream within a dream
-
-
-
-
-
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
Is it just me, or do the colors look different from the theatrical cut vs the extended cut from the same Criterion release?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #508
Jospef Jospef is offline
Active Member
 
Jospef's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Prague
-
-
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXOYE1989 View Post
Is it just me, or do the colors look different from the theatrical cut vs the extended cut from the same Criterion release?
From Criterion - Getting to the Root of the New Tree of Life:
Quote:
An entirely new sound mix had to be created for the new cut, for which the services of the film’s original sound editor, Joel Dougherty, were enlisted.
And once The Tree of Life’s Academy Award–winning cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki, sat down for a consultation with the colorist, he decided the entire film—not just the new footage—needed to be color-graded from scratch.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
IXOYE1989 (10-18-2018), postmodel (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #509
Keepitreal Keepitreal is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2017
Default

It's VERY strange this looks worse on the new 4K scan



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #510
mikesncc1701 mikesncc1701 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
mikesncc1701's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL
15
1405
706
572
1
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitreal View Post
It's VERY strange this looks worse on the new 4K scan



Are you taking into account that the bitrate is gonna suffer because of all the new footage? Other than a tiny bit more compression, it's almost negligible. Or are you talking about the slight color change?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #511
Keepitreal Keepitreal is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesncc1701 View Post
Are you taking into account that the bitrate is gonna suffer because of all the new footage? Other than a tiny bit more compression, it's almost negligible. Or are you talking about the slight color change?
Slight color change? negligible? the older transfer (TOP) has way higher detail and sharpness in every part of the frame. you cant even mistakenly think it looks the same
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #512
amoergosum amoergosum is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
438
9
Default



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #513
mikesncc1701 mikesncc1701 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
mikesncc1701's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL
15
1405
706
572
1
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitreal View Post
Slight color change? negligible? the older transfer (TOP) has way higher detail and sharpness in every part of the frame. you cant even mistakenly think it looks the same
I never said it looked the same. I was just pointing out the obvious. Of course there's going to be a slight decrease in detail due to the addition of 50 minutes of footage hence, more compression. You said it was "strange" but taking in all the factors, it actually makes sense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #514
sebaswerty sebaswerty is offline
Member
 
sebaswerty's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesncc1701 View Post
I never said it looked the same. I was just pointing out the obvious. Of course there's going to be a slight decrease in detail due to the addition of 50 minutes of footage hence, more compression. You said it was "strange" but taking in all the factors, it actually makes sense.
There's no extra compression though. Both cuts have virtually identical bitrates, the extended cut is about 11gb larger than the original cut.

That being said, even blown up to a large screen, I don't find the extended cut to look unsharp at all, in fact I think it looks great.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mikesncc1701 (10-19-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 AM.