Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 12 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.96
6 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.32

Supernatural: The Complete Thirteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Forty Guns (Blu-ray)
$22.97
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #2161
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2011
Dryland

At least with The Dark Knight I can see/ understand why so many like it so much. With Black Panther I cannot see the appeal at all, apart from people being obsessed with Marvel.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #2162
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Rhode Island

When it comes to comic book movies, Sony is doing a good job lately of steering away from the pack. I like how they took the chance and made a movie featuring an anti-hero in Venom, which is my favorite comic book movie of 2018 to date. Also, instead of giving the audience a useless 20 second end of the credits scene, they showed around a five minute clip from the upcoming Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse movie. Speaking of which, I have heard nothing but rave reviews on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse. And now they drop this BrightBurn trailer, which looks like a comic book type of character but in a horror setting.

Of the trailers that were released within the past week or so: BrightBurn>Captain Marvel>Avengers: Endgame
Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #2163
Special Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blu View Post

Of the trailers that were released within the past week or so: BrightBurn>Captain Marvel>Avengers: Endgame
Guess we also need an "unpopular movie trailer opinions" thread
Old Yesterday, 02:48 AM   #2164
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

I sometimes wish there was a thread or even a subsection of this forum that could discuss the philosophy of movies. Something separate and away from all of the political and social animosity that could get down to the core of what we are actually witnessing. Movies are an art form. Even the mainstream blockbusters are a form of commentary on where we are as a society. Movie are trying to tell us something. I think if we all got down and actually talked to each other, we would find so many more things in common than we would differences, but what do I know.
Thanks given by:
AaronJ (Yesterday), Hellraiserfan (Yesterday), oilers73 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:22 AM   #2165

Jul 2018
In Nowhere

Half of Age of Extinction's Story is quite Solid and Optimus's Character/Character Arc was the best thing out of that film.

Also I didn't like any of Nolan's Batman films, I find his characters dull and boring(same goes for Dunkirk honestly).
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #2166
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Boulder City, Nevada

Superman III is at least better than IV.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM   #2167
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenOfEarth View Post
Fight Club is an overblown endurance test which you gave 5/5 stars, why is that?
I can't answer for her as to Fight Club, but I can give you the reasons why *I* think it's pure brilliance.

First and foremost, I believe it captures the essence of modern American society (then, back in '99 but probably even more right today) as no other film really does, or even attempts to. Society always has and always will have serious issues at its core. They change and morph as time rolls on, but I can't think of any film that just metaphorically grabbed American society at the time by the balls and said, "This is what you are!" like this film.

Then you have Fincher's typically brilliant direction and pacing. I will never, ever forget exactly how I felt at the ending while sitting in the theater, gobsmacked.

DO NOT WATCH THIS IF YOU EVER HAVE ANY INTENTION OF SEEING THIS FILM BUT HAVEN'T YET. SERIOUSLY, THERE ARE SPOILERS AND THEN ... WELL THERE'S THIS.

[Show spoiler]

When you look at the acting, even in this brief minute; the way the Pixies song and the explosions kick in; the visuals; the look on Marla's face; and the "You met me at a very strange time in my life," line -- which obviously is referring to America, not really to the narrator, a perfect ending line; even the handhold

The whole damn movie is full of stuff like that, full of brilliant moments, sequences, dialogues and monologues which should actually speak to everyone, but certainly to any young American male of the time -- though way too many people obviously didn't realize the ironic nature of the film and took the whole thing way too literally, which is unfortunate.

And the performances, from top to bottom were simply stellar. Norton, Pitt, Carter, Meat Loaf, EVERYONE was just amazing. But then, again, it's Fincher so that's no surprise. He tends to get wonderful performances from pretty much everyone in nearly every one of his movies.

Jeff Cronenweth -- as usual -- turns in a top shelf job as DP. He gives the film its unique, modern but still unsettling, look. He and Fincher make a memorable team when they work together.

Believe me, I could go on and on for pages and pages about why this is a masterpiece. But no one wants to read that. I'm trying to keep it short. I hope you made it this far.
Thanks given by:
CinemologyR (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #2168
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Boulder City, Nevada

Do you think it matters if people love or hate the film?

Last edited by DenOfEarth; Yesterday at 09:39 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #2169
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenOfEarth View Post
Do you think it matters if people love or hate the film?
Not to me. Why would it matter?

I know what the film is saying, what effect it had on me when I first saw it (and since), how perfectly it captures the society in which we live, and how much fun it is to watch. That's one thing I didn't mention in my other post: It's so damned funny!

If someone else doesn't feel that way, or even feels the opposite, then so be it. That's going to be the case with pretty much anything any one of us loves or hates: I think Last Year at Marienbad is genius. I'm not sure exactly what Resnais was getting at, necessarily. But I can completely understand how someone could watch it and be bored out of his or her mind.

Different strokes.

But how would people's opinions on Fight Club effect me? It surely isn't going to detract from the very high opinion I have the film, both from a content point-of-view and looking at it as brilliant craft. So, again, why would I care?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies