Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
His Dark Materials: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Requiem for a Dream 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$115.99
10 hrs ago
Mandy (Blu-ray)
$5.00
1 hr ago
The Flintstones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.98
1 day ago
Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.96
12 hrs ago
Gladiator/Braveheart 2-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.93
1 day ago
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Gamera: The Showa Era (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-21-2020, 05:11 AM   #1

Jan 2019
Default TV settings/ color question

Hi all!

I got this tv and Iíve had this issue where colors are......Smearing? Splotching? Overtaking each other? Donít know the right phrase, but it seems like certain gradients (especially red/orangeish ones) arenít transitioning well into the next color

It doesnít happen a lot but itís extremely noticeable and jarring when it does. I attached a few pics for refrence
(Spider-Man pic is standard, Monsters Inc is HDR)

I tried to adjust the color on the tv, but that only intensifies the issue, and it exists even at the default values for every picture mode, itís a Roku tv so the options are pretty limited.

This is on both HDR and Standard, but staying default color settings seems to get it somewhat under control for standard mode,(barring some exceptions like the Miles picture) no such luck with HDR

Itís a Roku Tv, RCA 5522 to be exact. Anything I can do to get under control?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 222.jpg (95.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 223.jpg (83.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Jaysheth1080p; 11-21-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

How are you playing the movies? Bluray player, xbox/ps4, streaming app...?

What picture mode do you use? (Movie, Vivid etc)

Have you tried adjusting the picture settings?
Old 11-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

I'd make sure that all post processing is turned off. It might also be worth checking the video settings of the devices connected and seeing what bit depth is selected. Stick to Movie mode and Warm 2 if you can.

It might be worth trying a new HDMI cable, but banding can be caused by inaccurate colour reproduction in some cases, but you'd get some posterization as well.

If you can run some test patterns to see how smoothly they transition, if they stand out calibration may help, but check reviews to see how your TV does afterwards. If professional calibrators can't get great results it might not be worth it.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:01 PM   #4

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
How are you playing the movies? Bluray player, xbox/ps4, streaming app...?

What picture mode do you use? (Movie, Vivid etc)

Have you tried adjusting the picture settings?
I've been playing the movies through streaming on the built in Roku apps, though the issue persits even on other devices, like games on a Ps4 or in the picture slideshow on a chromecast.
The adjustments I've made are setting it to warm and bumping up the contrast. I flip between Movie mode and Normal mode depending on the content, though I've seen the issue on both.

Quote:
I'd make sure that all post processing is turned off. It might also be worth checking the video settings of the devices connected and seeing what bit depth is selected. Stick to Movie mode and Warm 2 if you can.

It might be worth trying a new HDMI cable, but banding can be caused by inaccurate colour reproduction in some cases, but you'd get some posterization as well.

If you can run some test patterns to see how smoothly they transition, if they stand out calibration may help, but check reviews to see how your TV does afterwards. If professional calibrators can't get great results it might not be worth it.
It does seem like all processing is off (Game mode is off, theres no motion smoothing on this tv) Most of the reviews I've seen for this tv praised the color accuracey, and it does look good most of the time so I'm probably doing something wrong.

It seems like adjusting color is the main factor. Pushing it up makes it more intense and down descreases it, but there's not really a point where colors are natural and the issue goes away.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:24 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Please post your setting for:

Sharpness
Brightness
Contrast
Color
Tint
Backlight

Please tell us the max setting. Example

Sharpness: 60/100
Brightness: 70/100

etc.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:20 AM   #6

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Please post your setting for:

Sharpness
Brightness
Contrast
Color
Tint
Backlight

Please tell us the max setting. Example

Sharpness: 60/100
Brightness: 70/100

etc.
Sure,

HDR Normal:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Backlight 100/100
Brightness 50/100
Contrast 60/100
Sharpness 40/100
Color 55/100
Tint 0
Tempreture: Warm
Gamma 2.4

Standard:
Picture Mode: Normal (Same for Movie when I switch to it)
Backlight 100/100
Brightness 49/100
Contrast 60/100
Sharpness 50/100
Color 50/100
Tint 0
Color temp: Warm
Game Mode: Off
Gamma: 2.4

(I know sharpness should technically be set lower, but I always prefered it pumped up a tad)
I used to swear by Movie mode on my older displays, but I found Normal to be more natural in terms of colors for this particular tv
Old 11-22-2020, 03:53 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Put on something colorful (HD or 4K)

Set the SHARPNESS to "0"

Set the COLOR to "0"

You should be looking at B & W images with no color. Look to see if you are getting any "light bleed" from your backlight (blooming on the edges). Examine images to see that they are crisp with no bleeding or smearing.

Slowly raise the COLOR level until you are just starting to see color in the images. Make a note at what level this happens at. Are the colors stabilized? No smearing or bleeding. Now raise the COLOR level 10 more. Everything still OK?

What is the COLOR level? XX/100?
Old 11-22-2020, 04:35 AM   #8

Jan 2019

Quote:
Put on something colorful (HD or 4K)

Set the SHARPNESS to "0"

Set the COLOR to "0"

You should be looking at B & W images with no color. Look to see if you are getting any "light bleed" from your backlight (blooming on the edges). Examine images to see that they are crisp with no bleeding or smearing.

Slowly raise the COLOR level until you are just starting to see color in the images. Make a note at what level this happens at. Are the colors stabilized? No smearing or bleeding. Now raise the COLOR level 10 more. Everything still OK?

What is the COLOR level? XX/100?
When set to 0 everything looks to be all right, no light bleed or smearing
Setting to around 35/100 is when the smearing begins,
38, 39, 40, onwards it starts creeps up very noticeably
Old 11-22-2020, 04:45 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysheth1080p View Post
When set to 0 everything looks to be all right, no light bleed or smearing
Setting to around 35/100 is when the smearing begins,
38, 39, 40, onwards it starts creeps up very noticeably
Please post screen shots with COLOR set to 30 first, then 35, then to 40.

Is this a brand new TV? Can you return it?

Last edited by Lee A Stewart; 11-22-2020 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:13 AM   #10

Jan 2019

Quote:
Please post screen shots with COLOR set to 30 first, then 35, then to 40.

Is this a brand new TV? Can you return it?
TV was a gift so I don't think I'll be able to return it,
Here are some comparison pics, I used Monsters University as a refrence since this is where I found it most noticable (HDR Normal Mode, through streaming on the built in Roku Disney Plus app)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 229.jpg (91.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 228.jpg (91.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 227.jpg (91.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 226.jpg (86.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 225.jpg (85.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 05:24 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
TV was a gift so I don't think I'll be able to return it,
Here are some comparison pics, I used Monsters University as a refrence since this is where I found it most noticable (HDR Normal Mode, through streaming on the built in Roku Disney Plus app)
I am very familiar with MU. One of my all time favorite movies.

It looks like the "sweet spot" should be around 32 or 33. That's where I would leave the COLOR setting.

Now you can adjust the SHARPNESS level. Keep in mind that the higher you set it, the more you "blow out" the very high frequencies which produce the highest resolution. Sharpness does it work in the middle high frequency range which makes the images appear sharper - but they really aren't.

Personally, I would leave it at "0". It takes a bit to get used to but you will see the very fine details that you normally don't see when it's set to the level you have it at: 50.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

I 'm going to try to head off a question you may pose about the much lowered COLOR setting on your TV.

Not all TVs are the same. Some respond to changes in the color level in small gradients while others require large increases in the color level to make changes. Yours is the former.

The COLOR Level control is one of the most misused controls. Sharpness is #1.

Most uninformed people set their color level too high. It's a color TV right? It should look colorful right? Setting the color level too high does a number of negative things to the images:

1. Introduces color smearing and color bleeding
2. Reduces resolution by color over saturation

When they say the resolution of your TV is 3840x2160 that is the B & W resolution called the Luma. Because ALL consumer home video formats us a Chroma (color) Subsampling of 4:2:0 the actual color resolution (which is separate from the B & W resolution) is 50% lower. Professional Video is 4:4:4 with both the Luma and Chroma resolutions equal.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:03 AM   #13

Jan 2019

Quote:
I am very familiar with MU. One of my all time favorite movies.

It looks like the "sweet spot" should be around 32 or 33. That's where I would leave the COLOR setting.

Now you can adjust the SHARPNESS level. Keep in mind that the higher you set it, the more you "blow out" the very high frequencies which produce the highest resolution. Sharpness does it work in the middle high frequency range which makes the images appear sharper - but they really aren't.

Personally, I would leave it at "0". It takes a bit to get used to but you will see the very fine details that you normally don't see when it's set to the level you have it at: 50.
I was thinking about just keeping it set to 33ish, but it makes the other colors too washed out, like barley above black and white almost

I guess what I could do is keep one picture mode where color is low and avoid smearing and keep one where color is good, and just leave the smearing as it is since it doesnt affect most colors too much, and I can just swap between them if it ever becomes a problem one way or another

I'll set sharpness at 0 and see if I get used to it.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:10 AM   #14

Jan 2019

Quote:
I 'm going to try to head off a question you may pose about the much lowered COLOR setting on your TV.

Not all TVs are the same. Some respond to changes in the color level in small gradients while others require large increases in the color level to make changes. Yours is the former.

The COLOR Level control is one of the most misused controls. Sharpness is #1.

Most uninformed people set their color level too high. It's a color TV right? It should look colorful right? Setting the color level too high does a number of negative things to the images:

1. Introduces color smearing and color bleeding
2. Reduces resolution by color over saturation

When they say the resolution of your TV is 3840x2160 that is the B & W resolution called the Luma. Because ALL consumer home video formats us a Chroma (color) Subsampling of 4:2:0 the actual color resolution (which is separate from the B & W resolution) is 50% lower. Professional Video is 4:4:4 with both the Luma and Chroma resolutions equal.
That makes sense, on my previous display I had it set to around 60/100 and when I got this one the first thing I did was set it the same to match, and discovered the smearing after that under the assumption that most tvs handle HDR content the same way
Old 11-22-2020, 06:21 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Set the COLOR to 38 then post a screen shot showing the entire image without the COLOR adjustment menu. Pick a daytime shot from MU. Like when the "boys" are in the quadrangle looking at all the newspapers plastered all over the place with them on the front cover all covered in paint.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
That makes sense, on my previous display I had it set to around 60/100 and when I got this one the first thing I did was set it the same to match, and discovered the smearing after that under the assumption that most tvs handle HDR content the same way
They absolutely DO NOT handle HDR the same way. HDR has become one of the biggest brouhahas because each TV manufacturer handles it differently. And some are definitely better than others by a long shot.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #17

Jan 2019

Quote:
Set the COLOR to 38 then post a screen shot showing the entire image without the COLOR adjustment menu. Pick a daytime shot from MU. Like when the "boys" are in the quadrangle looking at all the newspapers plastered all over the place with them on the front cover all covered in paint.
Here it is set to 38, with sharpness at 0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 232.jpg (93.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 231.jpg (100.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 230.jpg (108.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Here it is set to 38, with sharpness at 0
I see what you mean when you say the color is under saturated. I also notice the contrast (white level) seems too high as is the brightness (black level.)

First try reducing the brightness level by 10 and then by 15. It will interact with the color level so we can see how it affects color.

Please post two more screen shot at those two levels using the third scene from your post above - the wide shot.

Do you watch your TV in a darkened room?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Instead of going back and forth which will take a lot of time and effort, here is a photo that you can compare to when making adjustments to your TV.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #20

Jan 2019

Quote:
I see what you mean when you say the color is under saturated. I also notice the contrast (white level) seems too high as is the brightness (black level.)

First try reducing the brightness level by 10 and then by 15. It will interact with the color level so we can see how it affects color.

Please post two more screen shot at those two levels using the third scene from your post above - the wide shot.

Do you watch your TV in a darkened room?
Here it is with reduced brightness with color at 38
The room gets pretty bright during the daytime, at night I try to keep it dark (It's night currently)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 235.jpg (109.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 236.jpg (110.2 KB, 4 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion