Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.53
12 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.53
12 hrs ago
Mexico Macabre: Four Sinister Tales from the Alameda Films Vault, 1959-1963 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
6 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.72
12 hrs ago
Blackhat 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
The Last of Us: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
12 hrs ago
Soundies: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
13 hrs ago
Insidious 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Time Bandits 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.67
1 day ago
Shazam! Fury of the Gods 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
scanachick scanachick is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
Belgium
178
3
Default bose lifestyle v10

Hello, can anyone confirm that this would decode PCM 5.1 over the HDMI cable from my BD player (as decoded from dts hd or truehd) ? Thx, Scan

PS: any other suggestions for a discrete system for a smallish TV-room in the €1000-2000 range?

Last edited by scanachick; 08-26-2009 at 12:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline
Senior Member
 
Al Bundy's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Chicago IL
7
113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanachick View Post
Hello, can anyone confirm that this would decode PCM 5.1 over the HDMI cable from my BD player (as decoded from dts hd or truehd) ? Thx, Scan

PS: any other suggestions for a discrete system for a smallish TV-room in the 1000-2000 range?
It a few min you will have posts about Bose, in how they are inferior product. I too was into Bose until I did a lil reading.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
SeanMF SeanMF is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
SeanMF's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Iowa
70
1428
2
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timhortons View Post
It a few min you will have posts about Bose, in how they are inferior product. I too was into Bose until I did a lil reading.
Mirage l/c/r speaker bar. Needs a receiver to power it. Then add whatever surrounds/subs you want. Onkyo has excellent htib. I would stay away from Bose and anything that has it's own power supply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
MacDaddyOJack MacDaddyOJack is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
MacDaddyOJack's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Richmond, VA PSNetwork: MacDaddyOJack Trophy Level: 12(4%)
12
71
23
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanachick View Post
Hello, can anyone confirm that this would decode PCM 5.1 over the HDMI cable from my BD player (as decoded from dts hd or truehd) ? Thx, Scan

PS: any other suggestions for a discrete system for a smallish TV-room in the 1000-2000 range?
PCM 5.1 has already been decoded, do mean accept over HDMI? I don't think Bose has anything that decodes the new advanced audio codecs. I'm not even sure if they will accept PCM over HDMI, although it's possible. However, Bose speakers leave a little to be desired. If you don't already have the Bose set, then consider something else. If you do already have it, then try to accept a 5.1 PCM signal and if it doesn't work, then the best you can do is lossy 5.1 over the optical connection.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
My_Two_Cents My_Two_Cents is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
My_Two_Cents's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....
40
35
507
19
1
4
Default

You really need to do a lot more research, particularly in the speaker section of this site. To be blunt, you need to just stay away from these Bose Lifestyle systems. They are crap (yeah, I said it) and are so overpriced it's not even funny. As someone mentioned earlier, you'd be waaaaaaaaaaay ahead purchasing one of the Onkyo HTiB's. The speakers would be better than anything in the Lifestyle package and you'd be able to accept and/or decode HD audio over HDMI. Add a powered sub and you'll be all set for about 1/3 of what you'd pay for the V10.

You've been warned.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Pelican170 Pelican170 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pelican170's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Newtown, CT
80
674
256
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe View Post
You really need to do a lot more research, particularly in the speaker section of this site. To be blunt, you need to just stay away from these Bose Lifestyle systems. They are crap (yeah, I said it) and are so overpriced it's not even funny. As someone mentioned earlier, you'd be waaaaaaaaaaay ahead purchasing one of the Onkyo HTiB's. The speakers would be better than anything in the Lifestyle package and you'd be able to accept and/or decode HD audio over HDMI. Add a powered sub and you'll be all set for about 1/3 of what you'd pay for the V10.

You've been warned.
+1, Bose sucks, stay away
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Another_Dude Another_Dude is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Another_Dude's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
191
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe View Post
You really need to do a lot more research, particularly in the speaker section of this site. To be blunt, you need to just stay away from these Bose Lifestyle systems. They are crap (yeah, I said it) and are so overpriced it's not even funny. As someone mentioned earlier, you'd be waaaaaaaaaaay ahead purchasing one of the Onkyo HTiB's. The speakers would be better than anything in the Lifestyle package and you'd be able to accept and/or decode HD audio over HDMI. Add a powered sub and you'll be all set for about 1/3 of what you'd pay for the V10.

You've been warned.
But what if my wife likes how the Bose system looks?


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
BStecke BStecke is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
BStecke's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
133
517
1
1
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Dude View Post
But what if my wife likes how the Bose system looks?


Does "Cash For Clunkers" work for wives?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
LoveHomeTheatre LoveHomeTheatre is offline
Member
 
Sep 2008
45
Default No highs, no lows, must be Bose, sound familiar?

The Bose will not accept lpcm 5.1 over HDMI, only 2.0. It won't even accept 1080p/24 so if you are planning to buy a system that is up to date with the latest technologies, look elsewhere.

You should try looking at other small systems like mirage, paradigm, onkyo, energy, and any other company that makes small, discrete systems. They are more than half the price for triple or more the performance.

Trust me, I know. We bought the lifestyle V30 due to advertisement and Bose name before we our research. Listen to the suggestions of these hd gurus and you will be on your way to enjoying your system rather than thinking about why you spent your money on crap that will disappoint you. (Technically, parents enforced Bose as they liked the commercials and spent their money). Hopefully in the future, I will buy my own system that I put together.

Lesson from this is stay away from Bose.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
scanachick scanachick is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
Belgium
178
3
Default

Thanks everyone for warning me!! Anyways, if it doesn't even take LPCM 5.1, it is a deal breaker for me. They are so freaking ignorant at shops telling me that this decodes hd audio (it doesn't even do PCM 5.1!), I knew I had to check this first - never trust those salesmen!! Best regards, Scan

Last edited by scanachick; 08-26-2009 at 04:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
HomeTheaterVirgin HomeTheaterVirgin is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2009
7
Default

Did he say BOSE
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
DC_Street DC_Street is offline
Power Member
 
DC_Street's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Denver, CO
142
40
Default

Bose and iPods are the same thing, the sales people will scam you into thinking that you HAVE to own them or else you are worthless, thus why I boycott BOSE and Apple
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline
Senior Member
 
Al Bundy's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Chicago IL
7
113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Street View Post
Bose and iPods are the same thing, the sales people will scam you into thinking that you HAVE to own them or else you are worthless, thus why I boycott BOSE and Apple
Don't agree. Apple has made advancements in tech toys that other corporations can only dream of.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
Beta Man Beta Man is offline
Moderator
 
Beta Man's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....
4
268
18
25
Default

If you purchase a separate AVR, here is a very affordable, small (and easy to find overseas) speaker package you should consider looking at.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=k1ht55ee
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
TenaciousDHo TenaciousDHo is offline
Active Member
 
TenaciousDHo's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Chicago, IL
57
531
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHomeTheatre View Post
The Bose will not accept lpcm 5.1 over HDMI, only 2.0. It won't even accept 1080p/24 so if you are planning to buy a system that is up to date with the latest technologies, look elsewhere.

You should try looking at other small systems like mirage, paradigm, onkyo, energy, and any other company that makes small, discrete systems. They are more than half the price for triple or more the performance.

Trust me, I know. We bought the lifestyle V30 due to advertisement and Bose name before we our research. Listen to the suggestions of these hd gurus and you will be on your way to enjoying your system rather than thinking about why you spent your money on crap that will disappoint you. (Technically, parents enforced Bose as they liked the commercials and spent their money). Hopefully in the future, I will buy my own system that I put together.

Lesson from this is stay away from Bose.
Agreed. I was just at a friend's house the other day and he was asking if I could run some speaker wire through in the wall for him. When I saw his Bose system (V30 I think), I said it probably wont work because the proprietary cables wont be long enough. Then he told me he paid almost $4,000 for it! I felt bad for him... Then suggested selling it and we can redo the whole system for way less, and it would sound 10x better.

To the OP, just saying "Bose" around people who really appreciate good audio and a good deal will start up a storm. Stick with separates, you'll be happy you did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
scanachick scanachick is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
Belgium
178
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Street View Post
Bose and iPods are the same thing, the sales people will scam you into thinking that you HAVE to own them or else you are worthless, thus why I boycott BOSE and Apple
Funny my Macbook didn't censor your post, stupid computer
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #17
scanachick scanachick is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
Belgium
178
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
If you purchase a separate AVR, here is a very affordable, small (and easy to find overseas) speaker package you should consider looking at.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=k1ht55ee
Thanks, looks really nice.

Now I know how to stir up this forum, simply by typing the 4-letter B-word
(it's even worse than misspelling Blu-ray)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #18
DC_Street DC_Street is offline
Power Member
 
DC_Street's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Denver, CO
142
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timhortons View Post
Don't agree. Apple has made advancements in tech toys that other corporations can only dream of.
and they overcharge their customers for it as well and have horrible reliability issues (#1 MP3 player that came in for service due to batteries and their hard drives). Also the iPods audio quality section is lacking quite a bit compared to MP3 players at a 1/10 of the cost. I worked in retail long enough to see it with my own eyes and hated it when customers came in asking for a iPod, I would try to recommend to them a SanDisk, Zune, or Creative MP3 player but they were so brainwashed by Apple that they refused anything else. That is all I have to say about that, Apple literally makes me feel sick inside .
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #19
Beta Man Beta Man is offline
Moderator
 
Beta Man's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....
4
268
18
25
Default

please keep on topic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
My_Two_Cents My_Two_Cents is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
My_Two_Cents's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....
40
35
507
19
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Dude View Post
But what if my wife likes how the Bose system looks?


Of course, wife trumps AV equipment unless you have your own dedicated 'man-cave'!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion > HTiB (all-in-one systems)

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
BOSE Acoustimass/Lifestyle systems - why you should steer clear!! Speakers dobyblue 672 12-14-2018 08:25 AM
Bose Lifestyle V20 And V30... Speakers Moefiz 145 03-13-2014 01:46 PM
Sony Blu-Ray, Bose Lifestyle 38 and PCM Blu-ray Players and Recorders parind 1 08-29-2009 08:41 AM
Bose Lifestyle V20 worth it or not? Home Theater General Discussion t2rules 130 05-08-2009 11:58 PM
Which Blu Ray with Bose Lifestyle?? Blu-ray Players and Recorders SCF2 29 11-24-2008 08:18 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 PM.