Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Insidious 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
49 min ago
Blackhat 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
49 min ago
Max Fleischer's Superman (Blu-ray)
$27.99
49 min ago
The Last of Us: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
49 min ago
The Running Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Time Bandits 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
29 min ago
The Last of Us: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
49 min ago
The Rules of the Game 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
49 min ago
The Godfather Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Italian Job 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
49 min ago
All Quiet on the Western Front 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
1 day ago
Jesus Revolution (Blu-ray)
$27.99
49 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #1041
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
It does have pre-outs, 5.1. but they dropped the zone 2 pre-outs, which I think used to be assignable to SBR/SBL... IIRC.
I remember reading something about dropping some kind of pre out feature when the MRX 310 was made only a 5 channel avr. Since my Anthem experience I haven't paid close attention to what the new products are like as I have no intention of ever buying an Anthem product again.

I think you were right on the money in an earlier post about not buying any hdmi products right now, I completely agree. There's just too many changes on the horizon. I'd put money into the speakers now and a new avr after the dust settles in regards to the new hdmi specs, just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #1042

Sep 2014

I did listen to the 310 not the 710, but for my current speakers the 310 will have more than enough juice, it certainly did with Paradigm Studio 20's and my speakers need even less.

The 310/710 have exactly the same components inside, besides the toroidal power supply in the 710. No higher quality parts or DAC's in the higher model. I can't see the extra power giving any noticeable difference for me with my setup.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #1043
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
I remember reading something about dropping some kind of pre out feature when the MRX 310 was made only a 5 channel avr. Since my Anthem experience I haven't paid close attention to what the new products are like as I have no intention of ever buying an Anthem product again.

I think you were right on the money in an earlier post about not buying any hdmi products right now, I completely agree. There's just too many changes on the horizon. I'd put money into the speakers now and a new avr after the dust settles in regards to the new hdmi specs, just my opinion.
Well I will personally wait until we have fair chunk of available movies in 4k native before I change my TV and AVR, all oher features to me other than a quality amp section ar completely useless, I know some people use them but not me, a good room correction software is great but for me it's not a must with proper room treatment.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #1044
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
I did listen to the 310 not the 710, but for my current speakers the 310 will have more than enough juice, it certainly did with Paradigm Studio 20's and my speakers need even less.

The 310/710 have exactly the same components inside, besides the toroidal power supply in the 710. No higher quality parts or DAC's in the higher model. I can't see the extra power giving any noticeable difference for me with my setup.
The bigger PSU could actually improve sound a 510 might just nail it for you.

Glad you were able to appreciate the natural musical sound of the Arcam AVR.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #1045

Sep 2014

Sorry BigAl, but what do you mean by PSU?

Just out of curiosity, if I decided to go with the 710, what would a typical deal/discount be on Anthem products? The 710 lists for $2199 here, but I have bought 2 subwoofers from this dealer in the past and have gotten decent deals on them too. Would a 20-25% discount be out of the question? That would take the 710 down to $1700-1800 range, I think I could live with that.

P.S. Yes, I understand now why you went for the Arcam BigAl.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #1046
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, if I decided to go with the 710, what would a typical deal/discount be on Anthem products? The 710 lists for $2199 here, but I have bought 2 subwoofers from this dealer in the past and have gotten decent deals on them too. Would a 20-25% discount be out of the question? That would take the 710 down to $1700-1800 range, I think I could live with that.

I wouldn't bother with the 710, the amount of additional power isn't worth the extra cost over the 310. Your money would be put to better use with an external amp vs the more expensive avr. Having owned the MRX 700 and used it with and without external power amps I found the added cost of the only slightly more powerful amps included in the avr just don't compare to a nice power amp.

It really depends on the dealer on what type of discount you might receive, some give nice discounts, others don't. If I were you I'd be looking for at least a 15% discount, of course 25% would be better. Push for the largest discount you can get.

Is ARC now done via usb? Or is it still using a serial cable?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:41 AM   #1047
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:

Power Supply Unit. Your dealer is able to work something out with you at a price that they cannot advertise. Typically here in QC they take the taxes off but since you have only GST to pay I would think your dealer might be able to slash another 10%. Give or take a total of 15% for a price of $1869 before GST.

BTW, I was tipically receiving 20% discount after building a good relationship with a dealer, it keeps the customer happy and faithful and keeps the dealer happy because you go back to them.

If you plan on using an external amp later then don't even bother with the 710, the 310 just has as good processing as the 710 does. Worse case I would settle for the 510 and avoid paying too much for nothing like Aces High says.

Glad you were able to recognize the musical sound of the Arcam, even used as a prepro it keeps the same Humph factor.

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-05-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #1048
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:

PSU = power supply unit.

Not sure what type of discount you could expect, but I'd say hey before you gave me 20% off, wats my bottom line price and see what they say.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #1049
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
IIRC Anthem dropped the pre out feature on the entry level avr. ( MRX 310 ) If you want to add an external amp at a later date you'll have to step up to the MRX 510.

Tell me you are not seeing the 5.1 preouts and I'll call you a liar

I can clearly read MRX 310 on the back panel

TWM, just go with the MRX310 and add a power amp later, the unfair thing is you listened to studios on Anthem gear, They are made to go together like peanut butter and jam.

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-05-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #1050
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post

Tell me you are not seeing the 5.1 preouts and I'll call you a liar

I can clearly read MRX 310 on the back panel

TWM, just go with the MRX310 and add a power amp later, the unfair thing is you listened to studios on Anthem gear, They are made to go together like peanut butter and jam.
I could have sworn I read that somewhere, obviously I was wrong. I don't pay attention to anything Anthem does anymore.

Last edited by aces high; 10-05-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #1051
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
I could have sworn I read that somewhere, obviously I was wrong. I don't pay attention to anything Anthem does anymore.
No problem Andrew.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #1052

Sep 2014

I think you guys are right, it makes sense to go for the 310 because I will most likely be adding a power amp later. Even the 710 would probably benefit from a power amp with most of the more demanding speakers anyway. Plus as you said, same processing/DAC's in all the models, so no benefit there.

I know it's kind of unfair to use the Anthem with Paradigm, but at least I heard all the receivers on the same speakers... plus before I buy I will take the anthem home for a week to try with my setup, and if I have time I may take it to my Dynaudio and Totem dealers and see if they'll hook it up to them for me. If I still like it as much at home and with those others, then I'll go for the 310.

Just out of curiosity, I was interested in maybe some better quality speaker wire/cables to get with the new receiver. I am just using normal speaker wire right now. Is there a good set of cables you guys would recommend with the Anthem. Not bi-wireable, just a normal single binding post set. I think the Dyn Focus 110's just had single binding posts too not sure about the bigger Dyn bookshelfs. Or should I wait until I know what speakers I will be upgrading too, though it may be a while before I get them, so a nice set of speaker cables to go with the Anthem and my Energy's would probably do me for a while.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #1053
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
I think you guys are right, it makes sense to go for the 310 because I will most likely be adding a power amp later. Even the 710 would probably benefit from a power amp with most of the more demanding speakers anyway. Plus as you said, same processing/DAC's in all the models, so no benefit there.

I know it's kind of unfair to use the Anthem with Paradigm, but at least I heard all the receivers on the same speakers... plus before I buy I will take the anthem home for a week to try with my setup, and if I have time I may take it to my Dynaudio and Totem dealers and see if they'll hook it up to them for me. If I still like it as much at home and with those others, then I'll go for the 310.

Just out of curiosity, I was interested in maybe some better quality speaker wire/cables to get with the new receiver. I am just using normal speaker wire right now. Is there a good set of cables you guys would recommend with the Anthem. Not bi-wireable, just a normal single binding post set. I think the Dyn Focus 110's just had single binding posts too not sure about the bigger Dyn bookshelfs. Or should I wait until I know what speakers I will be upgrading too, though it may be a while before I get them, so a nice set of speaker cables to go with the Anthem and my Energy's would probably do me for a while.
all Dyns are single wired. As for wire... anything 12 gauge will be fine, if you can get blue jeans cables up where you are, the belden cable is good, and blue jeans will put nice banana plugs on them. Otherwise, Audioquest, Kimber Kable, Oyaide will be good and inexpensive.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #1054
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
all Dyns are single wired. As for wire... anything 12 gauge will be fine, if you can get blue jeans cables up where you are, the belden cable is good, and blue jeans will put nice banana plugs on them. Otherwise, Audioquest, Kimber Kable, Oyaide will be good and inexpensive.
You know what Steve audioquest has the intelligence to offer some great entry level cables at low prices, I mean they range from 30$ to +$5K so you really can find something for all budgets. If TWM would buy some 160, It would not be a bad thing to even go with the Nordost White Lightning. Audioquest type 4 retails at 5$ a foot and is well recommended by stereophile so when you need 15 feet, 7.5 for each side it will cost only 75$ without terminals.

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-06-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #1055

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Also check with your dealer. A good audio shop should have a selection of cables that you can buy by the foot.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #1056
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Also check with your dealer. A good audio shop should have a selection of cables that you can buy by the foot.
yup Audioquest has their type 2 and type 4 that can be sold by the foot for a fair amount of money.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #1057

Sep 2014

Yeah, Audioquest, Kimber and Nordost are the main ones I've heard about. I would probably need three 6-7ft lengths for the center and front right/left. Want to stay around $200 total, so $60-70 per 6-7ft length would be great.

Guess it really depends on what amp/speakers combo you are using, but is there a specific model of cable you guys would recommend for that price range that is kind of all purpose or works well with a lot of different setups?

Like I said, just single cables no bi-wiring and non of those little boxes they sometimes have halfway through the cable, I think they are called "balanced"...

http://www.stereophile.com/images/ad.../balanced.html
Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #1058
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Yeah, Audioquest, Kimber and Nordost are the main ones I've heard about. I would probably need three 6-7ft lengths for the center and front right/left. Want to stay around $200 total, so $60-70 per 6-7ft length would be great.

Guess it really depends on what amp/speakers combo you are using, but is there a specific model of cable you guys would recommend for that price range that is kind of all purpose or works well with a lot of different setups?

Like I said, just single cables no bi-wiring and non of those little boxes they sometimes have halfway through the cable, I think they are called "balanced"...

http://www.stereophile.com/images/ad.../balanced.html
AQ type 4 is sold by foot without terminals at $5.00 a foot, if you need 21 feet would cost you $105, you could add AQ terminals the basic ones there and it would be around 35$ per set of 4 bananas for $105, would run you a total of $210, I will say this the type 2 is cheaper but it only totals 17Gage so I find it thin a bit.

Type4

BFA-SILVER

For example the Nordost White Lightning in 2 meter would run you $375 us maybe $425 in Canada but they are terminated.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-40915-n...cables-pr.aspx

Balanced connectors are for analog Interconnects. from source to your amp for example.

Last edited by BigAl87; 10-06-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:40 AM   #1059

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
at that price I would go for the Focus.
Well, you probably knows what your saying, I boughet the 110 last friday and I must say damn I'm so happy that I got them.
Even tough they are in their burn in stage they sound so good, every instrument is placed on stage and easier to locate and drums and bass guitar have fuller body( compare to the dm2/6).
The mids still haven't opened and the highs sometimes can sound a little too high (-: I hope it'll get better.
I must say that even tough the focus 110 are better than the dm2/6 in every aspect the dm2/6 are very very damn good speakers and can stand proudly against speakers twice the dm2/6 price.
Thank you for your help.
Now I'm after energetic dac.

Last edited by Bguy; 10-07-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:03 AM   #1060
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bguy View Post
Well, you probably knows what your saying, I boughet the 110 last friday and I must say damn I'm so happy that I got them.
Even tough they are in their burn in stage they sound so good, every instrument is placed on stage and easier to locate and drums and bass guitar have fuller body( compare to the dm2/6).
The mids still haven't opened and the highs sometimes can sound a little too high (-: I hope it'll get better.
I must say that even tough the focus 110 are better than the dm2/6 in every aspect the dm2/6 are very very damn good speakers and can stand proudly against speakers twice the dm2/6.
Thank you for your help.
Now I'm after energetic dac.
The DM2/6a are very good speakers. I love mine, but they act as surrounds for me only now that they're mounted. The mids will open up and the highs will smooth out. There were times with both my X16s and the 160s where I thought they were too bright, but they always smoothed out. I've heard the 110As, and they did have some good bass.

I'd suggest you get a handle on the 110s sound and then find a dac that will compliment you're current setup to your tastes.

Last edited by callas01; 10-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers