Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Resident Evil: Complete Collection (iTunes)
$39.94

Glass/Split 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$14.99

Us / Get Out 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$14.99

Copycat (iTunes)
$4.99
11 hrs ago
Us (iTunes)
$9.99

Men in Black: International (iTunes)
$9.99

The Wind (iTunes)
$7.99
11 hrs ago
Happy Death Day 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$14.99

Creepshow (iTunes)
$4.99

Rocketman (iTunes)
$9.99

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (iTunes)
$14.99

Final Destination 5 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 10-26-2018, 03:40 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ
Default Vudu [UHD] added

Hey folks,

Just noticed that Alien: Covenant just jumped to the top of my list and upgraded to [UHD] for me on Vudu, had previously shown as [HD] for me.
Thanks given by:
monkeyjb1988 (Today)
Old 10-26-2018, 03:49 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBrowncoat View Post
Hey folks,

Just noticed that Alien: Covenant just jumped to the top of my list and upgraded to [UHD] for me on Vudu, had previously shown as [HD] for me.
Yes. Maze Runner: Scorch Trials upgraded as well. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...272239&page=93
Old 10-26-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXsdesdeXXX View Post
Yes. Maze Runner: Scorch Trials upgraded as well. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...272239&page=93
oops...read that thread as 'iTunes' and didn't realize it included UV too
Thanks given by:
XXXsdesdeXXX (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Dude, the amount of UHD Fox titles on Vudu has gone from 0 to 8 now. On a roll here.
Thanks given by:
XXXsdesdeXXX (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 05:22 AM   #5

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBrowncoat View Post
Hey folks,

How did that happen? I bought Alien Covenant almost a year ago on 4k and it redeemed only in HDX. How can you get it now in UHD?
Old 10-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #6
Special Member

Nov 2008

Alien Covenant and Maze Runner didn't upgrade yet, but Fury and Kick Ass did though!
Old 10-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by maperez1987 View Post
How did that happen? I bought Alien Covenant almost a year ago on 4k and it redeemed only in HDX. How can you get it now in UHD?
It only 'upgrades' to UHD now if you own the title in UHD on a connected Movies Anywhere account. These titles are ones that if you redeemed into iTunes, which offered free 4K upgrades, ported into MA as UHD and now Vudu. If you redeemed any code directly into Vudu then it will only redeem into HD because Fox codes from this era, even in UHD discs, were only ever HD (excepting for free iTunes upgrades). Vudu is not really offering 'upgrades,' it's just that these titles were added to Vudu as UHD today and so for those who own it in UHD in MA now available at that 4K level in Vudu. Upgrade is a misleading term since Vudu is just now reflecting the quality you're indicated as owning the title in in MA, likely by virtue of acquiring it on iTunes.
Thanks given by:
mlabonte21 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #8

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
It only 'upgrades' to UHD now if you own the title in UHD on a connected Movies Anywhere account. These titles are ones that if you redeemed into iTunes, which offered free 4K upgrades, ported into MA as UHD and now Vudu. If you redeemed any code directly into Vudu then it will only redeem into HD because Fox codes from this era, even in UHD discs, were only ever HD (excepting for free iTunes upgrades). Vudu is not really offering 'upgrades,' it's just that these titles were added to Vudu as UHD today and so for those who own it in UHD in MA now available at that 4K level in Vudu. Upgrade is a misleading term since Vudu is just now reflecting the quality you're indicated as owning the title in in MA, likely by virtue of acquiring it on iTunes.
Yes, there is a problem at the beginning of iTunes UHD upgrades when although you clearly owned the movie in UHD in iTunes Movies Anywhere will still register HD port from iTunes. Case in point:

Redeemed Alien: Covenant from 4K UHD Blu-Ray code code directly into iTunes, iTunes shows that I own the movie in UHD in iTunes, but Movies Anywhere shows it ported from iTunes in HD only. This movie is not upgrading in any of the other connected retailers in UHD.

Only recently, if you redeemed a movie in iTunes directly, it shows in iTunes in UHD and porting in MovieAnywhere in UHD.

At the beginning of the UHD upgrades, all movies although showing in UHD in iTunes, only show as ported in HD to Movies Anywhere and will not show correctly. I have disconnected iTunes and reconnected to Movies Anywhere with no change. Some examples of other FOX movies that were redeemed from UHD disc codes and show UHD in iTunes (but not in Movies Anywhere):

Alien: Covenant
Logan
Deadpool
Hidden Figures
Independence Day
Independence Day: Resurgence
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Quite a few others: Why Him?, Keeping Up With The Jones, Mike And Dave ...

All of these were redeemed from 4K UHD codes directly in iTunes back when they came out, all of them show in UHD on iTunes, all of them show as ported to Movies Anywhere in HD from iTunes ONLY. If any of them were redeemed today or recently in iTunes (from blu-ray code or 4K codes) they will port to Movies Anywhere from iTunes correctly in 4K UHD [I was forced to do that with Deadpool a couple of days ago, just to try and it ported in 4K UHD in Movies Anywhere]. This is very unfortunately as because they show ported incorrectly in HD in Movies Anywhere, now when Vudu starts adding them in UHD, they will not all upgrade to UHD, unless it shows ported from iTunes to Movies Anywhere in UHD, which it should have. This really sucks if you redeemed in iTunes back when the movie came out. Recent redemptions are OK.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraytchev View Post
At the beginning of the UHD upgrades, all movies although showing in UHD in iTunes, only show as ported in HD to Movies Anywhere and will not show correctly...
My understanding is that once a title transfers to Movies Anywhere it will only show in the original quality. For example, I bought the Harry Potter films years ago when UHD was not a thing and eventually got them upgraded to UHD in iTunes where I clearly own them in 4K but MA only shows the original HD redemption. At one point I called MA to see if the license could be upgraded and they declined. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring too or if there's more of a bug with early acquisition of UHD titles originating at 4K quality. I suspect the issue is people in iTunes owned HD titles and were later upgraded in iTunes only but had they of purchased/redeemed the title now it would get free UHD porting to MA. The system is unfair and arbitrary where redeeming the same code at different times nets different results but seems like how MA designed it.

Early Fox UHD discs only included HD quality codes and if the movie was not yet UHD on iTunes then it ends up stuck in HD limbo.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #10

Oct 2010

All true, I guess there is no winning this for old redemption. What I hope is that Vudu at some point grants UHD upgrades to people who own the same movie in HDX and either purchased it on their site or redeemed on their site. Google Play announced such free upgrades earlier this week. Unfortunately, 90% of my purchases or redemptions are on Vudu. iTunes granted free upgrades, Google Play granted free upgrades, I mean, Vudu cannot be greedy for much longer! If we bought the movie on Vudu or redeemed there, they should just give us UHD, you can't download it anyway (I know you can through their app, but who would do that!) and are just streaming it through their site.
Thanks given by:
AZBrowncoat (10-26-2018), flyry (11-01-2018), Undeadcow (10-26-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 02:30 AM   #11

Feb 2017

Mine are all UHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraytchev View Post
Yes, there is a problem at the beginning of iTunes UHD upgrades when although you clearly owned the movie in UHD in iTunes Movies Anywhere will still register HD port from iTunes. Case in point:

Redeemed Alien: Covenant from 4K UHD Blu-Ray code code directly into iTunes, iTunes shows that I own the movie in UHD in iTunes, but Movies Anywhere shows it ported from iTunes in HD only. This movie is not upgrading in any of the other connected retailers in UHD.

Only recently, if you redeemed a movie in iTunes directly, it shows in iTunes in UHD and porting in MovieAnywhere in UHD.

At the beginning of the UHD upgrades, all movies although showing in UHD in iTunes, only show as ported in HD to Movies Anywhere and will not show correctly. I have disconnected iTunes and reconnected to Movies Anywhere with no change. Some examples of other FOX movies that were redeemed from UHD disc codes and show UHD in iTunes (but not in Movies Anywhere):

Alien: Covenant
Logan
Deadpool
Hidden Figures
Independence Day
Independence Day: Resurgence
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Quite a few others: Why Him?, Keeping Up With The Jones, Mike And Dave ...

All of these were redeemed from 4K UHD codes directly in iTunes back when they came out, all of them show in UHD on iTunes, all of them show as ported to Movies Anywhere in HD from iTunes ONLY. If any of them were redeemed today or recently in iTunes (from blu-ray code or 4K codes) they will port to Movies Anywhere from iTunes correctly in 4K UHD [I was forced to do that with Deadpool a couple of days ago, just to try and it ported in 4K UHD in Movies Anywhere]. This is very unfortunately as because they show ported incorrectly in HD in Movies Anywhere, now when Vudu starts adding them in UHD, they will not all upgrade to UHD, unless it shows ported from iTunes to Movies Anywhere in UHD, which it should have. This really sucks if you redeemed in iTunes back when the movie came out. Recent redemptions are OK.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Personally, with GP now offering 4K upgrades, I’m waiting to see if Vudu follows suit and if D2D titles are included in the upgrades rather than re-purchasing or re-redeeming anything.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #13

Mar 2014
Michigan

Can anyone explain to me how 4 of my movies were upgraded to UHD from HDX on Vudu? I redeemed them originally on Vudu as HDX codes and over the past 9 months these titles were randomly upgraded. They are all Universal titles.

Logan Lucky
Get Out
Split
The Mummy
Old 10-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFalconer View Post
Can anyone explain to me how 4 of my movies were upgraded to UHD from HDX on Vudu? I redeemed them originally on Vudu as HDX codes and over the past 9 months these titles were randomly upgraded. They are all Universal titles.

Logan Lucky
Get Out
Split
The Mummy
Check your Movies Anywhere transaction history to see what quality it lists these titles from and what source they have you as purchasing or redeeming.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #15

Mar 2014
Michigan

They all sat iTunes 4k but I know I redeemed them in Vudu.
Thanks given by:
Undeadcow (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Quote:
Well, redeeming them into Vudu would have stuck you with only HD encodes so good thing it worked out like that. There is maybe an off chance when MA first started or iTunes was first connected through you it provided upgrades, but I;m not sure how likely that is.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
You must be mis-remembering. Or your redeemed them at both. Because it wouldn't say itunes if you didn't. You can even check your itunes history to see when you redeemed it. The dates will match up.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #18
Power Member

Aug 2007
Cincinnati, Oh

I've had Alien: Covenant, The Patriot, Fury, all update to 4k. Now if I can get my Hunt For Red October, which I've had on a ticket for 3 weeks, to upgrade to the 4k, that came with my 4k Blu Ray, I'll be in business!

I must say, it's nice to see Vudu moving on Fox titles I just wonder why they didn't have any 4k Fox titles before? I assume it must have been something contractual, but they are the last retailer to come to the game on Fox 4k titles.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:32 AM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I've read that both Kingsman movies have upgraded as well.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #20
Power Member

Oct 2007

One of my Kingsman movies upgraded (Golden Circle). So far it is the only one that has for me, even though I have a few of the others.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies