Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

DC 7-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$114.99
12 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.22

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

American Gangster 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Dracula Untold 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Stuber 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 AM   #41
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

I do wonder why my image is so dim then -- I noticed some did mention having Dynamic contrast on, but I'd also be interested to hear how it looks with it off (since I think some, me included, do tend to keep it off for everything)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
As someone mentioned, there is some grain/noise throughout the movie but again, it's minimal and not anything that bothered me....
This is another one that I found a bit different on my end -- some shots were fine.. oddly enough the night/indoor shots actually looked less noisy than the outdoor/daylight ones. The intro, especially, I found a very distracting level of rainbow'y noise/grain.

(I'll drop the subject after this - but would be interested to see why others have a completely different result though!)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #42

May 2017
Massachusetts

The intro does have a lot more grain than the rest of the movie.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #43

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
I do wonder why my image is so dim then -- I noticed some did mention having Dynamic contrast on, but I'd also be interested to hear how it looks with it off (since I think some, me included, do tend to keep it off for everything)
I was watching Blade Runner a couple of weeks ago, showing my tech-hungry sister 4k UHD for the first time, but at the end of the film, complained to her than it was too dark.

Then I remember that a month or so before, I had turned dynamic contrast off. This feature can be really annoying on films that have large/bold subtitles, with the contrast breathing as the titles come in and out.

But I had it on the default setting of "high". So after the BR watch, I turned it to low or medium (I forget which, but you should try both anyway to see which level you can live with) and it fixed it up.

So I watched AtU with this in mind, especially the I Wanna Hold Your Hand scene, and did not find it too dark.

YMMV, my TV in the sig, etc.

Ciao!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #44
Special Member

Dec 2012
Silicon Valley

Just came here from the site review- first I have heard of this musical. I see the std HD version is free on Amazon Prime so I'm going to give it a watch...
Old 04-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #45
Power Member

Aug 2008
Germany

UHD-BD (madVR/SDR/200 nits) left, BD (upscaled) right

Disclaimer:
[Show spoiler]Please note that the UHD-BD shots have been converted from HDR to SDR using special techniques, which drastically compresses the dynamic range of the original image (the color bit depth has been compressed as well). The UHD-BD shots are therefore not an accurate representation of the original HDR image - dynamic range, colors and contrast should be taken with a big pinch of salt and the main focus should be on comparing details. Typically the image will appear too dark and may lack a certain "pop" when compared to the BD shots. The SDR conversion should still give you a good idea of the actual image of the UHD-BD though and one should be able to at least catch a glimpse of the increased dynamic range. The BD shots have been upscaled for comparison purposes, but other than that should be accurate.

I also took a closer look at the BB code provided by imagebanana now and modified it to directly link to the images now (instead of the stupid html page), which should spare everybody the "view image" in the browser to view full size - I found that rather annoying myself. Hope I didn't screw up any links though.

Thanks given by:
birdztudio (08-08-2018), craigpb (08-12-2018), CYMBOL (08-12-2018), KazzPetrelli (04-04-2018), laz305 (05-26-2018), NotASpeckOfCereal (04-05-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 02:28 AM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Miami, FL.
Send a message via AIM to laz305 Send a message via MSN to laz305 Send a message via Yahoo to laz305

BestBuy has this for $17 now
Thanks given by:
IndyMLVC (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 02:34 AM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
BestBuy has this for $17 now
Thanks. Just picked it up!
Old 05-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #48

Aug 2013
SoCal (Anaheim)

Had such high hopes for this release. Most reviews lead me to believe it’s not worth it.
I find that it is necessary to mention if 4K films are upgrade-worthy (from blu-ray, not dvd), possibly on what size of a screen (which may be hard to do), because I think a lot of us are drooling for a stellar picture experience when we look forward to a catalog release in 4K. It seems though, that sometimes it simply isn’t. I mean, to say the 4K looks great, does not mean the blu-ray doesn’t look as good. But, then- that doesn’t sell 4K discs, or invite newcomers to the format.
Thanks given by:
Dubliner1 (08-11-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #49
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiTech View Post
Had such high hopes for this release. Most reviews lead me to believe itís not worth it.
I find that it is necessary to mention if 4K films are upgrade-worthy (from blu-ray, not dvd), possibly on what size of a screen (which may be hard to do), because I think a lot of us are drooling for a stellar picture experience when we look forward to a catalog release in 4K. It seems though, that sometimes it simply isnít. I mean, to say the 4K looks great, does not mean the blu-ray doesnít look as good. But, then- that doesnít sell 4K discs, or invite newcomers to the format.
I don't know, just revisited this the other day on Blu and it didn't look as good as I'd remembered. Those comparison screenshots show a massive increase in detail on the 4K disc!

I may import...
Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 AM   #50

Jul 2011
NJ

$14.99 for Prime Day
Old 07-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #51
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Atlanta

Took advantage of the Prime deal and watched tonight -- this UHD release is a big step up from the BD and, for me at least, was a much more immersive experience.

The original BD release was one of the first HD titles I purchased... happy to see the format maturing so nicely.

Edited to add: I was just reading some of the earlier comments about dimness of the picture. I did not experience this at all so I guess YMMV depending on your setup. I was viewing on an Oppo player and LG OLED.

Last edited by atlantajoseph; 07-22-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #52
Special Member

Jul 2011

$13.80 on Amazon
Thanks given by:
cynatnite (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #53

Sep 2009
Toronto, Canada
-
-

This is such an awesome movie. Right now it’s on sale guys pick it up!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Good price. Grabbed it.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #55
Special Member

Sep 2008

Me too.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #56
Power Member

Sep 2011
San Diego

went ahead & grabbed this to futureproof for 4K even though i'm not set up for it yet. love this movie, just saw it again in theaters at a special screening a couple weeks ago...

anyone else notice the reviewer misspelled the Beatles' name not once but twice?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2014
Malaysia
Sony Pictures

Damn, pretty cheap price!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2016

Picked this up last week when it was only ~$13 on Amazon and I just finished it. I don't think I've ever been so torn while watching a UHD before. It looks great. Another amazing Sony release that is wonderfully filmic with texture that just oozes from the screen. Incredible amount of detail to appreciate in nearly every shot. Very nice audio, too. Just another winner from Sony.

But boy oh boy did I hate the movie itself. It's been a long time since I've been so completely turned off by a film. I ended up not being able to finish it but I was pretty much cringing through every second of it that I did watch. For whatever reason it just felt like nails on chalkboard to me.

I wouldn't recommend this as a blind buy in case you have the same reaction as me to the actual movie, but if you've seen it before and liked it then this disc is a no-brainer. I can't imagine it ever looking or sounding better than this.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #59
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnoyes View Post
Picked this up last week when it was only ~$13 on Amazon and I just finished it. I don't think I've ever been so torn while watching a UHD before. It looks great. Another amazing Sony release that is wonderfully filmic with texture that just oozes from the screen. Incredible amount of detail to appreciate in nearly every shot. Very nice audio, too. Just another winner from Sony.

But boy oh boy did I hate the movie itself. It's been a long time since I've been so completely turned off by a film. I ended up not being able to finish it but I was pretty much cringing through every second of it that I did watch. For whatever reason it just felt like nails on chalkboard to me.

I wouldn't recommend this as a blind buy in case you have the same reaction as me to the actual movie, but if you've seen it before and liked it then this disc is a no-brainer. I can't imagine it ever looking or sounding better than this.
just out of curiosity, are you a BEATLES fan?
if yes then didn't you enjoy some of the musical numbers?
if no then why would you buy a film like this in the first place?
Old 08-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2016

I’ve always liked the Beatles well enough. Not a huge fan but I appreciate their music. But I don’t think I would have enjoyed this movie no matter who wrote the songs. The overall tone of the film and the way the songs are arranged and presented just rubbed me the wrong way. I also wish they would have at least used a cast that could have sang the songs without the liberal use on Protools/auto-tune that is present here. The movie felt more like a long episode of Glee more than an actual film. I also bought it since my wife typically likes musicals but she wasn’t a fan either.

No big loss since it was cheap and not all blind buys are gonna work out. But again, anyone who likes the film should certainly check out the disc because the presentation itself is great.
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (08-18-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies