Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
22 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
18 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
13 hrs ago
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72
3 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Avengers: Age of Ultron 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.17
2 hrs ago
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Louisville, KY
Default Speaker sensitivity

Does a higher speaker sensitivity number mean a better speaker? What does sensitivity mean?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #2

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

No it doesnt. To find out more, check this Big Daddy sticky!

John
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

Dec 2008
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
No it doesnt. To find out more, check this Big Daddy sticky!

John
Thanks. I don't know how I missed that sticky.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Some of the finest loudspeakers are certainly not the most efficient in terms of 1w/1m baseline testing.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #5

Nov 2007

aside from an excellent sticky posted by Big Daddy, another thing to consider is that the sensitivity reflects how efficient a speaker is, instead of how better it is.

Horns are known to be quite efficient speakers, but i wouldnt call each horn a 'better' one comparitively.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomari View Post
aside from an excellent sticky posted by Big Daddy, another thing to consider is that the sensitivity reflects how efficient a speaker is, instead of how better it is.

Horns are known to be quite efficient speakers, but i wouldnt call each horn a 'better' one comparitively.
Yes, but those lucky son of a guns having efficient speakers with higher end magnificent sound will have a bit more headroom before their power amps start running out of juice.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #7

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwojtalewicz View Post
Yes, but those lucky son of a guns having efficient speakers with higher end magnificent sound will have a bit more headroom before their power amps start running out of juice.
Which begs the question: How much power do you realistically need to drive inefficient speakers (say anything at 89db or less) before you run out of headroom?

John
Old 09-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #8

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwojtalewicz View Post
i agree to a certain level, but this is once again subjective to the listener and his preference. i still love a good pair of horns. i wish i can afford true horns like Altecs voice of the theater ones.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Which begs the question: How much power do you realistically need to drive inefficient speakers (say anything at 89db or less) before you run out of headroom?

John
I would think that will be determined by the speakers over-all design and what they are capable of handling. I do think, the less efficient a speaker is, the greater the need for a "quality" amp !!!

For instance my speakers are rated at 89db's, and even though my amp is capable of 300 watts x two. When I listen to music I hardly ever go out of 15 class A watts. Plenty loud, believe me !!!

Eventually when I do a dedicated two channel setup, I will only be looking at highly efficient single fullrange driver speakers because I want a low powered tube amp. Plus I like what these designs do for the music I love most !!!

I think most people are looking for the "wow" factor, and though very good for home theater applications. Not so for music, or at least what I listen to. I like realism and honesty, not in your face slam......... How can I describe it best ???

But in the end "all" designs have there compromises, and there is no such thing as "perfect". The best thing for him to do is research, and go out and audition everything he can !!! Even if you don't think you will like it just give it a listen Eliminate the unknown, and let personal preference decide !!!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
I would think that will be determined by the speakers over-all design and what they are capable of handling. I do think, the less efficient a speaker is, the greater the need for a "quality" amp !!!

For instance my speakers are rated at 89db's, and even though my amp is capable of 300 watts x two. When I listen to music I hardly ever go out of 15 class A watts. Plenty loud, believe me !!!

Eventually when I do a dedicated two channel setup, I will only be looking at highly efficient single fullrange driver speakers because I want a low powered tube amp. Plus I like what these designs do for the music I love most !!!

I think most people are looking for the "wow" factor, and though very good for home theater applications. Not so for music, or at least what I listen to. I like realism and honesty, not in your face slam......... How can I describe it best ???

But in the end "all" designs have there compromises, and there is no such thing as "perfect". The best thing for him to do is research, and go out and audition everything he can !!! Even if you don't think you will like it just give it a listen Eliminate the unknown, and let personal preference decide !!!
I very much agree with this statement.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #11

Jun 2009

Speaker sensitivity and sound quality have very liitle to do with one another. The sound quality of the speaker is based upon the design principles of the manufacturer.

I currently use Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs a small monitor(15"x10"x11") with a single 6.7" mid-bass driver and a 1.1" tweeter. Wth an impedance of 6 ohms and sensitivity of 85 db these are a tough load. A low sensitivity/impedance small monitor is more demanding than a large speaker due to a lack of gain from the larger enclosure. I am driving these with a Krell KAV 300iL integrated amp that produces 200 wpc 8 ohms and 400 wpc 4 ohms and I think that it is a perfect match.

If you choose a demanding loudspeaker be prepared to ante up for a powerful high quality amplifier. Clipping of an amplfier destroys more speakers than does "overpowering" them. Be realistic when making your choice and ask yourself some questions: 1) My budget for speakers and possibly an amplifier?, 2) What is the main intended useage?, 3) How loud do I like to listen to music/movies?, etc, etc.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 AM   #12
Special Member

Mar 2006
Omaha, NE

Quote:

John
Most of your listening is done between 5-50 watts. Loud/demanding peaks do occur while listening to music or watching movies, but not as common as you would think.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokrman14 View Post
Most of your listening is done between 5-50 watts. Loud/demanding peaks do occur while listening to music or watching movies, but not as common as you would think.
+1

Even a modest 6dB gain in volume asks approximately 4X the power from the amplifer. Dramatic peaks can far exceed this. Most of the time, under typical listening conditions, sokrman14's statement is completely true, with an amplifier heavily vacillating in that 5 to 50 watt range, or very close to it. Occasionally higher (at reference volumes) and occasionally less (during silent or super-quiet moments).

Also, the 1w/1m sensitivity ratings may not make so much of a difference at louder volumes, such as near reference loudness. Rarely, if ever, are speakers "linear" in a ratio of input to output. A speaker rated at 92dB at 1w/1m may not necessarily be 4dB louder than another rated at 88db, when both are hit with, say, 10, 50 or 100 watts of typical program material.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers