Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Resident Evil: Complete Collection (iTunes)
$39.94
2 hrs ago
Creepshow (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
Resident Evil: Afterlife (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
Night of the Living Dead (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
The Return of the Living Dead (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
Dawn of the Dead (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
World War Z (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
Resident Evil (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
World War Z (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
Prince of Darkness (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
Glass/Split 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$14.99

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (iTunes)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 07-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

Jul 2010
USA
Default Finally converting to all digital movies

After years of using both, today i decided to mostly use digital services for watching (VUDU, Netflix). I was "physical media or death" for decades but once i reached 257 movies on Vudu and several shows, it was time to bite the bullet. The cost of 4K discs is too expensive to justify upgrading my existing blu ray copies and buying new ones. The quality of the 4K streaming may not be as good as disc but the price makes it worth it. Its just a liberating feeling to finally get rid of (most) of my discs. Only keeping a handful of discs for offline watching.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 PM   #2

Jul 2010
San Antonio, TX

Ive been slowly switching. If it's a movie I really love I will still keep/buy the discs. For most titles that I just want, Im doing digital now.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

Isn't there a digital site for this topic?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

I am as pro physical media as they come, but the OP and those sympathetic to his views are in the digital movies section of this website discussing their opinions about digital movies, so it seems appropriate to me. I do not share the OP's views, but he is welcome to express them and he is in the right place for it.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-31-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:02 PM   #5

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr3584 View Post
After years of using both, today i decided to mostly use digital services for watching (VUDU, Netflix). I was "physical media or death" for decades but once i reached 257 movies on Vudu and several shows, it was time to bite the bullet. The cost of 4K discs is too expensive to justify upgrading my existing blu ray copies and buying new ones. The quality of the 4K streaming may not be as good as disc but the price makes it worth it. Its just a liberating feeling to finally get rid of (most) of my discs. Only keeping a handful of discs for offline watching.
I go back and forth... I’ve sold off stuff then missed having discs and buying physical media. There are things that aren’t on streaming I love so I can’t go completely streaming. I do like the lack of clutter that digital brings, but there are many films also that don’t include the special feature and discs are often cheaper at this point than digital. I get where you are coming from though

For example I have some British tv shows I love that are only on disc, and a lot of foreign films
Old 07-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #6

Jul 2010
USA

If it was just me watching movies I'd have no problem going to the shelf and squinting at the small spines to find something to watch. But now I'm mostly watching with family and friends and its way easier to find a movie and scroll through the collection with digital. I won't give up physical for the big movies I love but when you get hundreds upon hundreds of films its just a better, cheaper option.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #7

Aug 2010

I have slowly been doing the same thing. I go through some criteria with it. Depending on what it is, depends on if I go 4k, blu-ray or digital.

1. I am typically 4k if it is steelbook and effects style movie - think blockbuster where I want the higher bitrate.
2. If current bluray disc is "plain". Basic packages with nothing or minimal features. I can go digital and sell disc.
3. Movies that are not high on the like list and I can get cheap digital, no discs needed.
4. Some TV shows where packaging takes a ton of space, going digital makes sense.
5. Current blu-rays in nicer box sets or packaging, I am keeping.

Slowly, my footprint is getting smaller.
Thanks given by:
huskersports (08-05-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #8

Dec 2010
Asheville, NC

Yes I have Vudu as well but I have it for certain movies that are not on bluray such as Three Men And A Baby, Career Opportunities which has a horrible DVD lol. I've been switching DVDs to get on vudu. Still a physical media guy but just with 4K and regular bluray!
Thanks given by:
njdevil254 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #9
Special Member

Jan 2013

if its not available on disc, I generally will purchase digital, or if its only on dvd and I can get HD, I will get digital. But I still love my discs...
Thanks given by:
bdmckinl (08-02-2019), huskersports (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:17 AM   #10

Jun 2011
West Des Moines, IA

Shelf space for my discs hit its tipping point a couple of years ago. My criteria for the last few years:

1. Disc bonus features same as digital extras - Digital purchase
2. NO features (other than a trailer) - Digital purchase
3. Disc bonus features greater than digital extras - Disc purchase
4. Sweet looking steelbooks or packaging - Disc purchase

One irritant that pushed me more towards digital is the trend of releasing new titles in Steelbook form ONLY on 4K and catalog release steelbooks ONLY on 4K. I was going to buy the Solo: A Star Wars Story steelbook version until I found out there wasn't going to BE a non-4K steelbook. Same with the Incredibles 2: no non-4K steelbook. I gritted my teeth a bought the Black Hawk Down 4K steelbook, however, just so I could have the legacy bonus features from the 3-DVD set, on Blu! How hard would it have been to just put out the Blu-ray with the legacy bonus features?! Also bought Field of Dreams 4K steelbook because it was frickin' sweet looking, but that's neither here nor there. I've sold probably 200 discs to Half Price books in the last year or so to thin out the collection I've replaced with iTunes, Vudu, Movies Anywhere and Prime Video. Didn't matter what $$ I got for them, they're out of my house.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:06 AM   #11

Mar 2019
Canada

I have a huge DVD library that I have been upgrading to HD.

In December of 2017, one of my techs introduced me to the AppleTV 4K and I was impressed enough with the output that I shifted my upgrade plan almost completely to digital (I still buy some UHDs on disc).

Thanks to this website I can easily find the deals every week and my library has been building rapidly.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #12

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersports View Post
3. Disc bonus features greater than digital extras - Disc purchase
They have to be much greater for me to keep the disc (e.g., favorite Bond movies). So many special features aren't that special. I've lost interest in commentary tracks over the years -- I'll give them one listen max.

Currently, I'm also retaining the discs with superior sound (e.g., musicals), but I expect that eventually either the streaming companies will improve the sound or I'll make do with the somewhat lossy sound.

And of course, I'm keeping the discs of movies that aren't available in digital format.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #13
Special Member

Apr 2013

I'm also leaning towards this direction, but don't know what to do with the large amount of blu-rays and dvds I have. I don't want to go the ebay route because it's a pain. I wish there was a local place I could go with a box or 2 but I don't think there is any
Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay View Post
I'm also leaning towards this direction, but don't know what to do with the large amount of blu-rays and dvds I have. I don't want to go the ebay route because it's a pain. I wish there was a local place I could go with a box or 2 but I don't think there is any
Yes, you waited a little too long, no one wants those Discs anymore. I guess you can wait a little longer until they become Collector Discs or until the Disc people wear theirs's out and pay more for the good ones you have. For now you can do Disc to Digital!
Old 08-06-2019, 02:58 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Yes, you waited a little too long, no one wants those Discs anymore. I guess you can wait a little longer until they become Collector Discs or until the Disc people wear theirs's out and pay more for the good ones you have. For now you can do Disc to Digital!
Yeah, "no one" wants discs; that explains why more titles get released every year.

http://www.dvdandblurayreleasereport.com/pdf/28.pdf

^Scroll to page 34

I have never "worn" a disc out. Not even a laserdisc. They're not vinyl records after all.

I get the best of both with my disc purchases, but I can seldom be bothered with redeeming the included codes. I have more codes sitting unused than your entire digital collection several times over.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #16

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay View Post
I also haven't gone the eBay route yet. If they sell for more than $10 on Amazon, I list them on Amazon Marketplace, which makes the process pretty easy. Otherwise, I donate them to the library.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
Power Member

Apr 2018

I'm leaning towards the direction of just not buying films anymore. Most films I own are available on one of the several streaming sites I pay for. And I rarely have the time or desire to re-watch my older content. I'll be much more selective in my purchases going forward. Life is too short to buy and store mediocre content.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #18

Dec 2010
Asheville, NC

One thing with digital is you do not own your content. They are a license
Old 08-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #19
Power Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggould1975 View Post
One thing with digital is you do not own your content. They are a license
who cares. in 10 years blu rays will be more worthless than regular dvd's are now
Old 08-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
who cares. in 10 years blu rays will be more worthless than regular dvd's are now
I care; movie purchases, disc or digital, are not investments. I do not give a damn what they are worth 10 years from now; I did not buy them with plans to resell them later. What is a digital purchase worth 1 second after you buy it? What resell value has any digital purchase ever had? Exactly no value whatsoever; any single one of my slipcovers are worth more in resell value than any digital purchase that you have ever made.

I prefer to have actual possession of what I buy. It gives me complete control over the content that I bought. It can not be taken away from me for any reason buried in the terms of service and EULAs governing digital purchases nor can it be altered afterwards. I am not dependent upon my shitty ISP and their stingy data caps to watch them, either.

Discs have only two restrictions: don't make copies and don't do public exhibitions. Digital purchases have lengthy terms of service requirements associated with them and not one of these rules are beneficial to the consumer.

The only reason I redeem any of my codes at all is just for the ease of access when I am not at home; they provide convenience and nothing more as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Vilya; 08-06-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Ray HD (08-29-2019), brentsg (08-10-2019), OldGoat (08-10-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies