Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dracula Untold 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.99
19 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.99
16 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.22

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

American Gangster 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 04-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
100GB discs are more prone to this freezing. Make sure that the disc is as spotless as can be before playing it.
Yeah, I had freezing problems with The Last Jedi on my LG 870 player. Ejected the disc and saw a bit of "film-like" stuff on the edge of the disc. I cleaned it with a tissue and it played fine.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #42

Sep 2008
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
This too: Can you imagine if video stores were still existing; how many more 4K Blu-ray playback issues people would have from their rentals ...

The companies that manufacture 4K discs, and the companies that manufacture 4K BR players; they need to correct those 4K playback issues. It is their job, not ours to clean brand new discs or return them for exchanges two/three/four times ... and sometimes to no available solution. ...Or to return our 4K players for another one or for a refund.

Our job is done after we paid for our 4K players and 4K discs. The money we pay is for them to play.
If they don't play we don't like to be played with. It's similar with LG OLED TVs and burn-in issues.
It's similar with HDR issues with front projectors.
It's similar with Dolby Vision not playing right between all Dolby Vision 4K players and TVs. ...Brands.
Itís a hardware issue. I find it ridiculous that uhd needs to be perfectly clean in order to fuction properly. DVDs and BDs were more forgiving with light fingerprints, you could play them just fine without a hitch.
Thanks given by:
dcforsyth (12-15-2018), Globallove (04-18-2019), megal0maniak (04-03-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #43
Expert Member

Jun 2014

So far I have had slight skipping issues on disks 1 and 3 of westworld, and blade runner 2049. I noticed that the disks all had some dust on them, and some sort of residue. Should wiping the disks solve the problem?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:13 AM   #44
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Younger_Gang View Post
So far I have had slight skipping issues on disks 1 and 3 of westworld, and blade runner 2049. I noticed that the disks all had some dust on them, and some sort of residue. Should wiping the disks solve the problem?
It wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #45
Expert Member

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
It wouldn't hurt to try.
Yeah. I bought a soft glass cleaning cloth today. I am doing that. Like I said, the movies play fine. If they skip or freeze it only happened a few times and the movie resumed playing. Andit only happened with 4k disks.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:32 AM   #46
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Yeah. I bought a soft glass cleaning cloth today. I am doing that. Like I said, the movies play fine. If they skip or freeze it only happened a few times and the movie resumed playing. Andit only happened with 4k disks.
I have a thick microfiber cloth I use to clean my glasses and optical discs. I have had it for years and it works great.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:29 AM   #47
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I never tried one of those, but with 4K discs being stacked together by the manufacturers, getting scratched, leaving bad residues from the factory, poor handling, no quality control, three layers, blah-blah-blah, I'm thinking it might be time to take serious action.

We need better products, better quality 4K discs, not stacked, ever.
We pay very high dollars for them, so there's no reason to give us shitty products.
We need clean 4K discs, we need 4K discs that will play in all the 4K Blu-ray players, plain and simple, just like DVDs and Blu-rays before.

What's wrong with them 4K Blu-ray disc manufacturers, what kind of business are they running, who are they taking their customers for, who pay for their business to be rentable.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:33 AM   #48
Expert Member

Jun 2014

My 4k uhd player played westworld, blade runner, blade runner 2049 all uhds flawlessly. Today I played John Wick and it froze several times during the church scene. I see slight scratches and tiny dust on the disk. I used the soft cloth, but the dust seems to remain on it. Is there a non liquid way to solve this?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Quote:
Zero Dark Thirty a few tiny little specks when I took it out after an issue of freezing. I cleaned it and it worked great.

I was flabbergasted at the sensitivity and as I think I understand it, because of UHD's having more to them than your standard BD and DVD they will be more prone to this problem. It's why I'm the only one that handles them here at home. The less people that touch them, the better.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #50
Expert Member

Jun 2014

Did you just use a dry cloth? I dont like liquids because the disk gets smudged with humidity
Old 04-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Quote:
Did you just use a dry cloth? I dont like liquids because the disk gets smudged with humidity
I use a microfiber cloth, no liquid at all. It does a good job with smudges and specks.
Thanks given by:
OI8T12 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #52
Expert Member

Nov 2012
WA, USA

Has anyone had issues with discs that have small pinhole sized bubbles around the inner ring barcode area? At first I thought they were puncture mark but it was smooth to the touch so it must be under a layer.

Play tested the whole disc, no freezes at all.

I just hope it won't be a problem in the years to come.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post
Tons of people are complaining about the Sony X800 freezing. I read posts here, other forums, Amazon, they are everywhere. I was going to buy one but decided to pass because of this.
It seems both the Oppo 203/205 and Sony x800 have this same freezing issue the Panasonic players don't seem to have . Maybe they used the same brand ROM drive? Or perhaps a mediatek issue?
Old 04-17-2018, 03:21 AM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
We need clean 4K discs, we need 4K discs that will play in all the 4K Blu-ray players, plain and simple, just like DVDs and Blu-rays before.

What's wrong with them 4K Blu-ray disc manufacturers, what kind of business are they running, who are they taking their customers for, who pay for their business to be rentable.
I think you are assuming too much here. Why can the Panasonic players play many of these "dirty" discs with no issues that the Oppos and Sony have problems with?

I am thinking this is more likely a 1st gen player hardware issue and not a disc issue. The required cleaning etc is just a symptom of the problem (oversensitive 1st gen hardware). Would not be the first time, in fact I think this has occurred with virtually every format - gen1 rom drives are usually unreliable.

Last edited by Ruined; 04-17-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Thanks given by:
dcforsyth (12-15-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 03:41 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
It seems both the Oppo 203/205 and Sony x800 have this same freezing issue the Panasonic players don't seem to have . Maybe they used the same brand ROM drive? Or perhaps a mediatek issue?
You have a BDP-95 as your latest player correct and this extensive insight is derived from reading the forums . . .yes?
Old 04-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
I think you are assuming too much here. Why can the Panasonic players play many of these "dirty" discs with no issues that the Oppos and Sony have problems with?
Hmmm looking at AVS UB900 thread just now.

Quote:
Having a problem with Leon: The Professional 4K where there are several "freezes" in the same places. Examined disc and no scuffs or dirt, etc. Acquired a replacement from Sony and the first "freeze" occasion, which is near the beginning during the close up of Tony lighting cigar, is still a problem. I've played many dozens of 4K and standard Blu with no concern.
Quote:
If multiple discs of the same title skips on this player...then it's probably the title. I think I've seen 1 skip on this player in almost 2 years...and it wasn't repeatable.
Quote:
I have had no skips, but 1 3D title lock.
Quote:
Dirt films that can interfere with the laser are not necessarily visible to the naked eye: wash the disc with warm water and mild detergent and rinse throughly with a final distilled water rinse then try again. Even a fingerprint can cause interference
Gee whiz we have a match in the Panasonic UB900 thread. How'ed that happen?

I have many that played also without a issue on the 203, but occasionally one does, and being dirty as The Last Jedi was with 5 or 6 fingerprints, dirty residue seen when cleaning, also three scratches it played until one time point. Cleaned it, no issues.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:39 AM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Crossville, TN

My Batman Vs Superman & Wonder Woman & Secret Life Of Pets 4K UHD Blurays have frozen or pixelated on my Sony 4K UHD Bluray Player but other than that I've had no major problems from other discs that I've played so far. Now on my IT 4K UHD Bluray the sound drops out and there might be a slight pause during the slaughterhouse scene with all the arms sticking out.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Hmmm looking at AVS UB900 thread just now
Trends trends trends. I'm not saying Panasonics never have an issue, but for every 1 disc read issue I see reported on Panasonic there are literally 20+ on Oppo; additionally, for those who have both often a disc will skip or freeze on the Oppo but play fine on the Panasonic. Seems Oppo and Sony have largest difficulties reading discs and amount of difficulties may vary from unit to unit.

Collective data across multiple forums is more reliable than one person's experiences such as yours or mine. I even see people complaining about Oppo UHD skipping/freezing on non-AV forums. Objectively it's clearly an issue.

Last edited by Ruined; 04-17-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Thanks given by:
dcforsyth (12-15-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:

Trends trends trends. I'm not saying Panasonics never have an issue, but for every 1 disc read issue I see reported on Panasonic there are literally 20+ on Oppo; additionally, for those who have both often a disc will skip or freeze on the Oppo but play fine on the Panasonic. Seems Oppo and Sony have largest difficulties reading discs and amount of difficulties may vary from unit to unit.

Collective data across multiple forums is more reliable than one person's experiences such as yours or mine. I even see people complaining about Oppo UHD skipping/freezing on non-AV forums. Objectively it's clearly an issue.
I disagree, a party that has a player and actively discusses the usage of the player with others is more reliable. Some of the best knowledge in these threads is from an experienced user that owns multiple players and can equate their critiques of actual usage. From that you can gather a understanding of player to player comparisons.

Simply reading lots of forum posts lacks the experience of actual 4K playback usage. Go acquire yourself a 4K player and play a bunch of titles now, instead of being judgmental, you missing out on todays best home video/audio experience.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #60
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

John, it's natural for you to say that; you are heavily biased towards Oppo.
It's not a criticism it's a factual observation.

We don't know everything by having our own experience from owning one or all the 4K BR players. Oppo, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG, ... companies know better from the number (percentage) of 4K BR players fixed and returned and replaced.

What we read over the internet in forums is one gauge only. It still is a valid gauge for customers to make their choice. There are many elements to consider, not only the poor manufacturing of certain 4K discs they stacked with another disc. I truly hate that 4K discs stacking tendacy; it's a cheap way to do business with customers. It is insulting and disregardful from a premium product.

One thing important: Some people play a lot of 4K Blu-ray discs, others very very few.
And, nobody is connected the same. ...Or/and have all the same exact components in the audio/video chain.

The freezes from 4K discs are also different from the freezes when streaming.

Yes, the 4K Blu-ray player's manufacturers know best. And it's very sad that Oppo is exiting that market, but c'est la vie. Money talks bullshit walks.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology