Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.97
6 hrs ago
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99
2 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.22
 
Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Avengers: Age of Ultron 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.17
 
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 04:36 AM   #21
jess1581 jess1581 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
May 2016
New Bedford, Massachusetts
1
1687
50
Default

Its just exhausting really. Buying the same movie over and over... I've done it more times than I can count. Right now I've rebought movies based on better mastering like what they've done with Labyrinth and Jumanji, where the format is being utilized to its full potential updating older blu rays from when the format was larval. Still cheaper than getting a new tv, player, and ungodly amounts of double and triple dipping.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Crispy0009 (01-06-2018), Ggould1975 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:44 AM   #22
Vixen of the Night Vixen of the Night is offline
Senior Member
 
Vixen of the Night's Avatar
 
May 2013
Default

I'm not planning to go 4K anytime soon. I think blu-ray is great and 1080P is the perfect resolution for home video. 4K is just a gimmick right now on the home market at least. Seeing a 4K presentation in a movie theater, that'd be worth checking out(though most theatrical prints are 2K). 4K is overkill for home-video though in my opinion.

The difference between vhs to dvd to blu-ray was quite drastic. The difference between blu-ray and 4K is less drastic in my opinion, at least on the home video market. Since I'm not planning to stare at the screen with my eye up against it so I can see the extra sharpness/detail that may be visible compared to the 1080P version. It seems like a waste of money right now.

I do have a camcorder that shoots 4K and it looks amazing. But other than that, I'd have no use for a 4K TV at the moment, and the footage looks great once down-sampled to 1080P, so that's the one benefit of shooting in 4K despite delivering at a lower resolution.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Crispy0009 (01-06-2018), JonnyG1 (01-12-2018), lothda (04-08-2018), Vw Driver (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #23
1234567? 1234567? is offline
Special Member
 
1234567?'s Avatar
 
Sep 2016
Michigan USA
81
1758
303
4
Default

Me, I'm not refusing. I'm just waiting. Right now it's mostly mainstream titles getting 4k and I collect hard to get cult titles. All the 4k titles are not going out of print. They are readily available and in time will be cheaper. So for me, now is the best time to wait on upgrading and focus on collecting cult blu ray titles. Don't get me wrong I do want Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, Dracula, Leon, and many more in beautiful full reference 4k Video and top notch sound. But that stuff will be readily available and will be cheaper say by fall this year. So I'm just waiting it out. Might get better stuff to as TV's are improving in quality rapidly.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
trojandan (04-10-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:01 AM   #24
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
170
494
3
Default

wow where did this thread come from? haha. Judging from the replies it had to have been moved here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:07 AM   #25
formula_nebula formula_nebula is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
formula_nebula's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
216
832
74
324
10
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
wow where did this thread come from? haha. Judging from the replies it had to have been moved here.
That's a bingo
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:09 AM   #26
Axl Rose Axl Rose is offline
Special Member
 
Axl Rose's Avatar
 
Dec 2014
Superunknown
8
5
3
Default

Im in no rush to upgrade. Very few titles available that i would actually be interested in owing.

I'll hold off until 4k builds its catalog and prices come down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:09 AM   #27
1234567? 1234567? is offline
Special Member
 
1234567?'s Avatar
 
Sep 2016
Michigan USA
81
1758
303
4
Default

Quote:
I'm not planning to go 4K anytime soon. I think blu-ray is great and 1080P is the perfect resolution for home video. 4K is just a gimmick right now on the home market at least. Seeing a 4K presentation in a movie theater, that'd be worth checking out(though most theatrical prints are 2K). 4K is overkill for home-video though in my opinion.

The difference between vhs to dvd to blu-ray was quite drastic. The difference between blu-ray and 4K is less drastic in my opinion, at least on the home video market. Since I'm not planning to stare at the screen with my eye up against it so I can see the extra sharpness/detail that may be visible compared to the 1080P version. It seems like a waste of money right now.

I do have a camcorder that shoots 4K and it looks amazing. But other than that, I'd have no use for a 4K TV at the moment, and the footage looks great once down-sampled to 1080P, so that's the one benefit of shooting in 4K despite delivering at a lower resolution.
I feel the same. The 4k format is not going to benefit the type of films that I like, some maybe. But lets face it, most would need extensive restorations to benefit 4k. So for most of the obscure cult stuff that I like I think blu ray will be the best option for now. For newer films though 4k might be great and can work for newer films. I do think some of the more popular cult horror title will get 4k releases as a lot have had 4k scans done. But I guess right now the 4k market is vary little and it will be maybe 5 years until studios can put that kind of stuff out. I agree though blu ray is perfect for the home. For me the interest of owning a 4k setup would be to have my own theater room with a 75 in or bigger screen. I know I would enjoy it. But like you said right now it's like a gimmick. Only for AV enthusiast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #28
90s_kid 90s_kid is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2017
slipcover city
-
-
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1581 View Post
Its just exhausting really. Buying the same movie over and over... I've done it more times than I can count. Right now I've rebought movies based on better mastering like what they've done with Labyrinth and Jumanji, where the format is being utilized to its full potential updating older blu rays from when the format was larval. Still cheaper than getting a new tv, player, and ungodly amounts of double and triple dipping.
You really don't need to upgrade every movie you own.. you can just continue collecting new movies in 4K.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (01-06-2018), guachi (01-06-2018), heavyharmonies (01-06-2018), JRomulus (01-06-2018), Vw Driver (01-05-2018), YourFunnyFriend (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:15 AM   #29
Moonlight Shadow Moonlight Shadow is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2007
Default

I've started collecting movies on Super-8 mm film, than VHS, than Laserdisc, than DVD, than Blu-ray.
4K-UHD ist the first new format that I'm not interested in.
My next TV will probaby be 4K compatible, MAYBE I will get a UHD player then if it doesn't cost much more than a Blu-ray player. But it's not something that I'm actively pursuing.
I'm mainly watching older movies and they don't benefit much from UHD since HDR makes them look weird.
Classic movies look more authentic without HDR. That leaves the higher resolution as the sole benefit of UHD and that is hardly noticeable for me on normal screens.
I don't want to have a giant screen in my living room, I can't see myself ever buying a TV larger than 65'.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 AM   #30
formula_nebula formula_nebula is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
formula_nebula's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
216
832
74
324
10
10
Default

Anyone thinking they need a gigantic TV to notice a difference is ill informed. I'm watching 4k content on a 50" screen, and the difference is there. Some movies it may be a mild difference, and others a tremendous difference. Dunkirk for instance, looks phenomenal. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to upgrade at some point. Those 1080p sets aren't gonna last a lifetime you know. Technology tends to move forward. Not backwards, and i'm happily right there with it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
BladeRunner86 (12-01-2018), Catnip (09-17-2019), flyry (01-05-2018), Geoff D (01-05-2018), gkolb (01-05-2018), guachi (01-06-2018), heavyharmonies (01-06-2018), i_max2k2 (01-05-2018), Leonidas_King (01-05-2018), LoSouL (01-05-2018), nateynate87 (01-05-2018), Optimus (01-05-2018), reanimator (01-05-2018), Scarriere (01-05-2018), Staying Salty (01-06-2018), StrayButler91 (01-05-2018), super56k (01-06-2018), TheProf89 (01-05-2018), trojandan (04-10-2018), tysonmax (01-16-2018), Vashetti (01-05-2018), YourFunnyFriend (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #31
Brandon K Brandon K is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2015
Canada
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
wow where did this thread come from? haha. Judging from the replies it had to have been moved here.
Yeah, it was started in the Blu-ray Movies - North America forum. It kind of makes more sense over there, or in some general forum that's more about formats and less about specific movies.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Nothing371 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #32
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
170
494
3
Default

I totally understand not wanting to spend the money to upgrade.

But the people that talk about being against it sound just like the people who say that DVD looks as good as BD.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
azmodeous (01-05-2018), heavyharmonies (01-06-2018), trojandan (04-10-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:30 AM   #33
DJJez DJJez is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2011
Reading, England
24
648
2273
1
9
Default

The people in this thread

Please remove yourself from the 4k section. Nobody cares about ur excuse why you don't want to upgrade. Why are you in the 4k section in the first place when you are all being negative as hell and making excuses. This thread is an absolute waste of space and just promoting negativity to the 4k format . Please go back to the dvd and blu ray threads and leave us 4k enthusiasts in peace. Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
newtonp01 (01-05-2018), ronboster (01-05-2018), trojandan (04-10-2018), tysonmax (01-16-2018), Vashetti (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:31 AM   #34
AGH AGH is offline
Power Member
 
AGH's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Seattle
1223
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon K View Post
Yeah, it was started in the Blu-ray Movies - North America forum. It kind of makes more sense over there, or in some general forum that's more about formats and less about specific movies.
Agreed. It also allows Bluray supporters to respond since we generally donít cross over to the 4K area. I came over here simply because I was curious what the responses were.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 AM   #35
jess1581 jess1581 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
May 2016
New Bedford, Massachusetts
1
1687
50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_nebula View Post
Anyone thinking they need a gigantic TV to notice a difference is ill informed. I'm watching 4k content on a 50" screen, and the difference is there. Some movies it may be a mild difference, and others a tremendous difference. Dunkirk for instance, looks phenomenal. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to upgrade at some point. Those 1080p sets aren't gonna last a lifetime you know. Technology tends to move forward. Not backwards, and i'm happily right there with it.
tv's are one thing, of course eventually I'll have to get what is available in the near future when my current tv kicks the bucket. I'm not going out of my way to upgrade though since my tv is still going strong after almost 6 years, and blu ray discs as long as they're treated right will last forever...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #36
formula_nebula formula_nebula is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
formula_nebula's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
216
832
74
324
10
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1581 View Post
tv's are one thing, of course eventually I'll have to get what is available in the near future when my current tv kicks the bucket. I'm not going out of my way to upgrade though since my tv is still going strong after almost 6 years, and blu ray discs as long as they're treated right will last forever...
I agree! As long as a 1080p set is functioning right, then there is really no need to upgrade the TV yet. It's an individuals choice though really. My TV was on it's last leg, so I upgraded to 4k last August. Been very happy with the TV and content so far.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Crispy0009 (01-06-2018), jess1581 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #37
BigBlue10989 BigBlue10989 is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2011
196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJez View Post
The people in this thread

Please remove yourself from the 4k section. Nobody cares about ur excuse why you don't want to upgrade. Why are you in the 4k section in the first place when you are all being negative as hell and making excuses. This thread is an absolute waste of space and just promoting negativity to the 4k format . Please go back to the dvd and blu ray threads and leave us 4k enthusiasts in peace. Thanks
The thread was moved by a mod from the Blu-Ray forum. Loosen up a bit.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Rhino73 (07-02-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #38
jess1581 jess1581 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
May 2016
New Bedford, Massachusetts
1
1687
50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJez View Post
The people in this thread

Please remove yourself from the 4k section. Nobody cares about ur excuse why you don't want to upgrade. Why are you in the 4k section in the first place when you are all being negative as hell and making excuses. This thread is an absolute waste of space and just promoting negativity to the 4k format . Please go back to the dvd and blu ray threads and leave us 4k enthusiasts in peace. Thanks
You cared enough to comment though, how sweet.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Rhino73 (07-02-2018), stigdu (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #39
Leonidas_King Leonidas_King is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Leonidas_King's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
17
150
1847
36
185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90s_kid View Post
I don't think it matters much Ex Machina was shot in 4K and is a "true" 4K title, but the aesthetic of the film doesn't really showcase what UHD can do. Meanwhile The Shallows was up-converted from 2K and that's one of the best-looking titles IMO.
But have you seen Ex Machina in 4K though? Because it is a stunning looking disc and the difference between the standard Bluray and the 4K is quite impressive/noticeable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:16 AM   #40
MartinScorsesefan MartinScorsesefan is offline
Active Member
 
MartinScorsesefan's Avatar
 
Sep 2015
55
1017
655
Default

I've been watching UHD discs on a 1080p Epson 4030 pj with the Oppo 4k player, and I think the format is good even for those who don't have a 4k set. The better compression and codecs make the picture noticeably better on my projector. Even the lack of HDR doesn't hurt my setup; the Oppo has conversion to SDR, and though some say it crushes blacks, I haven't seen that on my setup. Now I did have the Samsung player, and I experienced black crush with that. But I watched Blade Runner, Split, Dunkirk and Batman Begins, and I had no issues.
When I need a new projector, I plan on a Sony, and I'm saving my pennies for that. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying at least some of the benefits of the new format without a 4k TV. When it comes to new home video formats, resistance is futile.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:34 PM.