Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
16 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ratatouille 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
14 hrs ago
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Finding Nemo 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
16 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Avengers: Age of Ultron 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.17

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #41
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonDragon View Post
DNR being applied isn’t a problem when done right. I haven’t seen much complaint outside Uber pixel peepers. And I was referring to The Dark Knight, not Batman Begins.
You said "your issue with his 4K films", the plural would imply films other than the one you're talking about, so I did. There are varying levels of grain management applied to the Nolan UHDs, Begins is the German sausage (i.e. the wurst) of the bunch with a fair bit of it on TDK, although mercifully that one stops short of going full Melting Butler - you never go full Melting Butler - and it still pisses all over the dreadfully oversharpened Blu-ray from the highest of heights.
Thanks given by:
Agent Kay (09-06-2018), EbonDragon (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #42
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

My processor will be getting the IMAX enhancement via a firmware update in October. Hoping Sony has an update for their tv's too. Although getting any info out of Sony is like stepping on a toy at 3am your kid has left out. Curse you, Mermaid Barbie, and your razor like tail.
Thanks given by:
ablu (10-21-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #43
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

If a movie is not shown on a real 76ft x 96ft IMAX screen, and presented in a real IMAX theater, then it's fake. A genuine IMAX image cannot be replicated on a Blu-ray disc whatsoever...It's simulated! If anybody wants to see a movie in IMAX, go to a IMAX theater, to see and hear the Real McCoy. If you don't have a dedicated home theater room with a 76ft x 96ft screen, an IMAX projector, and a thunderous, earth shaking sound system then it's not IMAX. A true IMAX presentation CANNOT be replicated at home. That's what makes IMAX theaters so unique because, it cannot be experienced anywhere else. They're only commercial! So if anyone think they can get a real IMAX presentation at home, you're only fooling yourselves because you can't, unless you are a multi-millionaire or billionaire, and can easily afford to have your own private, IMAX theater build on your estate.

Last edited by slimdude; 09-08-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (12-11-2018), gkolb (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
My processor will be getting the IMAX enhancement via a firmware update in October. Hoping Sony has an update for their tv's too. Although getting any info out of Sony is like stepping on a toy at 3am your kid has left out. Curse you, Mermaid Barbie, and your razor like tail.
Have they detailed what will get updates??
Old 09-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #45
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

Sony's displays certified for use with IMAX® Enhanced content, including the three newly announced projectors, the new A9F OLED and Z9F LED MASTER Series TVs, the A8F and A1E OLEDs, and the X900F lines; this new certification and licensing program combines Sony's premium 4K HDR home cinema projectors with IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS® audio technologies to offer consumers a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences for the home

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...018-1027514780
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:28 AM   #46
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You said "your issue with his 4K films", the plural would imply films other than the one you're talking about, so I did. There are varying levels of grain management applied to the Nolan UHDs, Begins is the German sausage (i.e. the wurst) of the bunch with a fair bit of it on TDK, although mercifully that one stops short of going full Melting Butler - you never go full Melting Butler - and it still pisses all over the dreadfully oversharpened Blu-ray from the highest of heights.
My bad, that’s both a bit of miscommunication on my part as well as a poor choice of words twice. Since this is just my anecdotal experience I’m taking that judgment from my experience with The Dark Knight, and in doing so I said it was a perfect recreation which is a bit hyperbolic. To my eyes, it’s ACCURATE which is what I should have said. Additionally, I said your issue was “likely” when I should have said “maybe your issue with his films is”. But back to the topic, I understand that since you guys have lived through THX that it’s not looking positive but from the vague details we know so far, this seems like more of an attempt to compete with Dolby than a simple money grab especially taking into account their intent on rereleasing content mastered for their IMAX Mode. I admit it could still end up being trash but I’m hopeful.

Also, you’d think if they wanted to put their best foot forward, they’d mandate that remastered IMAX films keep their aspect ratio.
Thanks given by:
Mr. Explorer (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 05:04 AM   #47
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
Have they detailed what will get updates??
AFAIK, it's only certain D&M models at the moment.

On a side note - A quick trip to Sony's website has revealed the 'IMAX Enhanced' logo on both the A1E and 900f's feature list. But sadly nothing on the Z9D's or 940e's, which use the same processor as the aforementioned sets.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore
-
-

Quote:
Dat buttah face.
Wonder if they can get the 12 channel mixes into DTS X
Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
Yeah I’m confused as to what this is supposed to do or add. Is it a new HDR format (like Dolby Vision) with a variation of DTS-X that will add more channels (from the current limit of 11)? Or just simply a certification like THX?
Quote:
Auro 3D runs over the DTS codec
IMAX surround runs a little bit differently from regular cinemas and home theatre. Their 6 channels surround are the five satellites that we know, plus a height centre channel. This usually works best with 15/70mm (and IMAX Laser) where the screen is much taller than, 1.44:1. It has a subwoofer, but it's not a dedicated LFE channel, and all speakers are full range drivers.

So when it boils down to it, the closest on Blu-ray is 5.1. Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD doesn't matter.

IMAX 12 channels is the six previously mentioned above, plus two side wall speakers, and four overhead speakers. The closest configuration on home theatre is 7.1.4, which the DTS X supports. All we're really missing is the front centre height channel, which I was told is not used very frequently in Hollywood features.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #49
Power Member

Apr 2018

I can't imagine many people wanting any of this Imax certified stuff other than actual content
Old 09-08-2018, 02:25 AM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
AFAIK, it's only certain D&M models at the moment.

On a side note - A quick trip to Sony's website has revealed the 'IMAX Enhanced' logo on both the A1E and 900f's feature list. But sadly nothing on the Z9D's or 940e's, which use the same processor as the aforementioned sets.
I’m very curious to try this new imax enhanced format, I just found out my marantz (8012) will get the update so just crossing my fingers that the Z9D somehow gets it too.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:14 AM   #51
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
I’m very curious to try this new imax enhanced format, I just found out my marantz (8012) will get the update so just crossing my fingers that the Z9D somehow gets it too.
I'm curious too. Join us in the Marantz thread. It's a bit more glass is half full regarding the IMAX update.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=301025
Thanks given by:
BLMN (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 03:15 AM   #52
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

At CEDIA two exhibits had a new IMAX Enhanced UHD/HDR BDs demonstrated.

My favorite IMAX Enhanced demo was in the Sound United booth. The system was a dream consisting of Sony's new VW990ES HDR Laser projectors with Panasonic's UB820 BD player and Marantz's AV8805 flagship processor connected to 3 MM8077 power amps. driving 7.1.6 speakers. They actually had 7 subwoofers, but because it's just one LFE channel the seven subs only count as one channel.

Things are moving very quickly in the high-end a/v business with content and equipment that makes this hobby more fun and the content more immersive than every imagined.

I'm working on getting this new IMAX Enhanced disc for our TV Shootout as I'd love to use some of the clips to help evaluate the latest flagship TVs.
Thanks given by:
Lion (10-12-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #53
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Was this that big news you were planning to tell us about, Robert? If so, do you have any idea on how the "Enhanced" visual side of things is supposed to work? Purely a pre-encode mastering job or some special sauce that's transmitted along with the video, perhaps embedded within the signal (like the immersive extension to Atmos and DTS:X) so it can be encoded using existing UHD Blu specs?
Old 09-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #54
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Not looking good for owners of the 930E, 940E and Z9D sets getting the IMAX upgrade.

Quote:
One slightly strange thing about this list is that it only includes a
small selection of the Sony TVs (the A8F, X900F, and A1E) that use the
brand’s X1 Extreme processor. Other older X1 Extreme models such as
the X930E, X940E and Z9D sets are not listed. And it doesn’t seem that this
is an oversight.

I asked a Japanese Sony engineer contact why the Z9D wasn’t on the list,
and was told that it was not going to be IMAX Enhanced ‘since it is two years
old’. Though a little confusingly, the same contact also told me that “IMAX
programs are compatible with HDR10, and the Z9D can decode IMAX programs
by its performance’…
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#51b2141548a0
Old 09-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #55
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
At CEDIA two exhibits had a new IMAX Enhanced UHD/HDR BDs demonstrated.

My favorite IMAX Enhanced demo was in the Sound United booth. The system was a dream consisting of Sony's new VW990ES HDR Laser projectors with Panasonic's UB820 BD player and Marantz's AV8805 flagship processor connected to 3 MM8077 power amps. driving 7.1.6 speakers. They actually had 7 subwoofers, but because it's just one LFE channel the seven subs only count as one channel.

Things are moving very quickly in the high-end a/v business with content and equipment that makes this hobby more fun and the content more immersive than every imagined.

I'm working on getting this new IMAX Enhanced disc for our TV Shootout as I'd love to use some of the clips to help evaluate the latest flagship TVs.
Sorry Robert, no offense to your new mission, but personally I’m not that interested in the ‘IMAX Enhanced’ nor ‘Netflix Calibrated’ features for movie content until the ‘Amazon Calibrated’, ‘Warner Bros. Pictures Enhanced’, ‘Paramount Pictures Enhanced’, etc. offerings also launch along with my next TV being Eurofin Digital certified too - https://www.displaydaily.com/press-r...ation-and-logo

I am curious of one thing though, was Phil presiding over the demo at the Sound United booth? I heard he was scheduled to do a roundtable yesterday too - https://metrahometheater.com/cedia.html

P.S.
Forgot, as I wasn’t truly comprehensive above.
In order to especially get the most bang for my buck out of my next TV, I’m holding out for the ‘HBO Calibrated’ HDR mode despite me being aware that no matter the final distributor, content is graded to standard SDR or HDR specifications.

Last edited by Penton-Man; 09-08-2018 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added a P.S.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #56
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Old 09-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #57
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Geoff, make your hobby your career. I think this position has not yet been filled - https://pixelogicmedia.workable.com/j/7C59D9BCD0
Old 09-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #58
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

is there going to be a deluxe Darbee edition via firmware at some point?!?
Old 09-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #59
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
An IMAX Drablet!?
[Show spoiler]

Old 09-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #60
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
imax