Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dracula Untold 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.99
19 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.99
16 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.22

Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
10 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

American Gangster 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 10-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Fiber well always be more reliable and faster then wireless. Version still plans on offering Verizon FIOS service.

Fiber can offer over 1,000TB per second speeds if needed. As long as there is no health issues, 5G is a awesome technology that can offer up to 1GB per second speeds and perhaps one day 10GB or higher. With portable devices those types of speeds would be nice. The backbone for all wireless Internet is wired fiber going between cities and under the ocean to other countries. Some on 5G might only be able to get 100Mbps to 300Mbps speeds due to distance between the tower and the portable device. There is also interference issues with wireless, etc.

5G is a major wireless breakthrough that Verizon, Sprint and others can offer in areas that do not have Verizon FIOS, or other form of 1Gbps Internet speeds. However many rural areas including some cities in Alaska have 1Gbps speeds over Fiber and in bigger cities in the USA, residential 10Gbps speeds over Fiber. In the very extreme rural areas where ADSL landline Internet is offered with 16Mbps download and 1Mbps upload is where 5G could have a big impact. Also 5G is ideal for delivery services like UPS, FedEx, and the Post Office. A powerful wireless vehicle server could be used with 5G to have a endless database of package information. I look forward to a nationwide or worldwide 5G roll out that well force some wired Internet providers to increase their speed to 10Gbps and 100Gbps in the decades to come.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-23-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Getting back to the thread topic. I look forward to perhaps one day a nationwide roll out of ATSC 3.0 that increases virtual bandwidth as long as the FCC does not auction off some more physical RF over the air TV bandwidth spectrum.

Cable companies might come out with a improved QAM technology with HEVC setup boxes to increase their virtual bandwidth without needing to add physical RF bandwidth.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #43

Oct 2010

I'm looking forward to what 5G can offer in the wireless realm. When we moved into our new house, we were all set to get internet from CenturyLink. The neighborhood is new and has three different builders. It turns out the builder of our home didn't want to help with the cost of installing the fiber, so we ended up with Comcast only. Our neighbors five houses down have gig fiber, but not us. Pretty lame.

It should also be noted that Sinclair stands to make a pretty penny if/when ATSC 3.0 takes off as they have several patents on the technology. Even if you avoid their TV channels and strong political opinions, you will still be lining their pockets just for supporting the format.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

The issue is one day in the years to come all TV sets might get a FCC mandate to have ATSC 3.0 tuners built in. Then one is forced to support ATSC 3.0 if they want to purchase a new TV.

Well need to see what happens but most likely in 2020+ all new tuners well drop the NTSC feature and in its place there well be only tuners with ATSC and QAM and then one day only ATSC 3.0 and QAM.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:20 AM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

I didn't attend the NAB sessions on ATSC 3.0, but in September, I attended a SMPTE (or maybe it was an AES) meeting on the subject.

One of the differences between ATSC 3.0 and the analog to digital conversion is that the latter was mandated by the FCC (although HD wasn't mandated) and ATSC 3.0 is completely voluntary. And that sets up a chicken and egg situation, which I believe will get in the way of this really happening.

At the meeting I attended, they claimed the following:
- Robust transmission: higher capacity with better spectrum efficiency
- Better coverage and easier reception
- Better picture/sound
- Internet protocol transport
- HTML 5 web based interactivity
- Integrated Broadcast and Broadband delivery
- Scalability: base layer optimized for mobile; enhanced layer optimized for UHD
- Resolution up to3840x2160, Wide Color Gamut BT2100, HDR, HFR up to 120
- Audio transmitted as objects so (for example) music and six can be transmitted as one object and multiple language dialog tracks can be sent as multiple other objects, so OTA multiple languages can be supported. Or, a consumer could choose between "home" and "away" sports announcers. In addition, because these are separate objects, consumers could change the level of the dialog track.
- Dynamic ad insertion: potential for different ads to different audiences
- Synchronized second screen delivery
- Personalized graphics

There are currently experiments going on in Cleveland, Dallas, East Lansing, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh and Washington.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:26 AM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Fiber well always be more reliable and faster then wireless. Version still plans on offering Verizon FIOS service.
Verizon FIOS is only Fiber into the "modem". It's then standard coax out of the modem to the TV STB.

And they only come close to their advertised speeds if you use wired Ethernet. Using their wireless router, I'm getting about half the advertised GB speed, but that's far better than I was getting with RCN's gigabit service, although with Verizon, I also get fast upload. With RCN, upload was usually under 10Mb
Old 10-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #47

Jun 2016

So will we be able to buy an external ATSC 3.0 tuner in the future to work with our UHD tv's that do not have 3.0 built in to it?
Old 10-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #48
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Yes, we'll be importing LG's Zenith ATSC 3.0 set-top-boxes for the USA.
Thanks given by:
afr52 (10-26-2018), HDTV1080P (10-27-2018), JohnAV (10-25-2018), wxman2003 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #49
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

I’m reading a lot about SHVC lately, is this a viable way of receiving a 4K broadcast or 1080p HDR broadcast without copromising bit rates too much? In other words can it cram in more channels into the same space allotment but not come at the expense of quality.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #50
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

I'm no expert on SHVC, but from what I've been told it's a scaleable version of HEVC that can be employed over IP, but not commonly used for OTA. HEVC is the compression standard that will be used with ATSC 3.0.

Another standard that is set for ATSC 3.0 transmission is OFDM modulation. OFDM is the method that the ATSC 3.0 signal will be modulated. OFDM will greatly improve OTA reception in our homes as it travels through and around your home without degrading the signal from reflected signals. It's likely the most robust and efficient RF modulation scheme.
Thanks given by:
afr52 (11-01-2018), RScottyL (06-09-2019), Steedeel (10-28-2018), ZoetMB (11-02-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #51
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
I'm no expert on SHVC, but from what I've been told it's a scaleable version of HEVC that can be employed over IP, but not commonly used for OTA. HEVC is the compression standard that will be used with ATSC 3.0.

Another standard that is set for ATSC 3.0 transmission is OFDM modulation. OFDM is the method that the ATSC 3.0 signal will be modulated. OFDM will greatly improve OTA reception in our homes as it travels through and around your home without degrading the signal from reflected signals. It's likely the most robust and efficient RF modulation scheme.
Thanks for that. Maybe it could be employed in the future for OTA?
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (10-28-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:20 AM   #52
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Based upon this article I feel most if not all broadcasters will use the ATSC spectrum to make money by utilize the bandwidth for everything other than UHD HDR TV.

Sinclair's ONE Media tries to sell FCC on ATSC 3.0's role in 5G

https://www.fiercevideo.com/broadcas...-3-0-s-role-5g
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 AM   #53
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Thanks Paul. This validates my OP when I started this thread while in shock when I first learned the USA TV Broadcasters intent to use ATSC 3.0 for FHD SDR. Just like we have today and maybe add some HLG when available.

All they spoke able at NAB NY was 2nd screen and 2-way feedback and the sub-carries to broadcast more revenue generating content. Little to nothing about 4K HDR, which is what I naively thought we would see with the rollout of ATSC 3.0. ):
Old 11-01-2018, 04:16 AM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Hopefully some broadcasters well broadcast in native 4K Ultra HD with HDR for the main channel and with lossy Dolby ATMOS sound. Many of the sub channels could support 1080P which is better then the 1080i we have today. People into sports would like 4K and 1080P.

We well have to see what happens, but if there is not at least a few 4K and 1080P channels to watch some people well choose not to upgrade their equipment.

I plan on buying a ATSC 3.0 tuner as soon as broadcasts start in this area. Some rural areas of the United States may need to wait 5-10+ years for ATSC 3.0.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #55
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Quote:
Sinclair: Future Of 3.0 May Be On The Road

Sinclair and its ONE Media innovations group announced key deals with Harmon and Korea’s SK Telecom at CES this week to jointly develop and commercialize broadcasting-based automotive technology using the ATSC 3.0 standard. “The whole vehicular space is one that is increasingly connected,” says Sinclair’s Mark Aitken.
https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-...-3-0-may-road/
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 AM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Ai Yi Yi. Two steps sideways to try and make one step forward.

Wonder if any 4K tv content will be sent OTA to my house in my lifetime?

(Unless I decide to move to a beta test city.)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:42 AM   #57

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
O&O stands for Owned and Operated. It is used exclusively for the Networks, ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

By FCC regulations each of the 4 O&Os (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX) can have only 8 TV OTA Stations each across America. So they pick the most dense areas to locate there stations.

O&Os can have affiliate stations, that are not owned or operated by the Network, but they use the logos, call signs, and most of the programming with local news added in.

We also have Independents and PBS stations, like in NY we have WWOR (Channel 9) and PIX11.

So ATSC 3.0 is for all O&Os in the 8 cities they operate and all of the hundreds of affiliates that use the network branding and also the small independence and finally all of the PBS stations. Lots of TV Broadcasting in our country.

I did not forget about the thousands of low power broadcasters as I'm including all low power broadcasters in the "Independence" category. I'm hoping to get ATSC 3.0 (and 5G BTW) in Scarsdale NY for our two Scarsdale Channels, the High School and Government channels.

Let's all become activists for all of our local broadcasters to step up to ATSC 3.0 ASAP.
You want 5G? That health risk? Don't get me wrong I get why, but, 1) They haven't even fully figured 4G out. 2) They seem to be rushing it out with little care to research health risks.

Last edited by Jameron4eva; 01-24-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Thanks given by:
ray0414 (01-24-2019), Robert Zohn (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #58
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

I am concerned about 5Gs possible health risks and would like to learn more about the 5G millimeter frequency and its effect on public health.

Anyone with articles please PM me or post them on this thread.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #59
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

The main concern in my area is since 5G on high frequencies don't travel very far there is a need for mini-towers mounted on street light or utility poles. Homeowners have complained about the proximity of these mini-towers to their home. Montgomery County, MD is trying to establish guidelines that will meet FCC requirement as to the minimum distance to a residence and the maximum height.

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/c...zta-links.html
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

ATSC 3.0 is as safe as the current ATSC technology since it uses the same TV frequency. Maybe a new thread on 5G should be created to keep the topics separate.

For those that do not known 5G well be used by the Smartphone companies to offer high speed Internet while one is away from home.

However if one is working in the office or at home the Fiber optic cable offered by todays cable TV and telephone companies well be faster and more reliable when compared to 5G. Fiber can offer 10GB per second and in the future over 100GB per second for residential customers.

5G is ideal for Smartphone users that are seating parked in their car away from a public place that does not offer good WI-FI. However if one is next to a good WI-FI connection that is sourced from 10GB residential Internet, then WI-FI well be better then 5G. Some people are worried about the unknown health problems that 5G wireless might cause. Some people feel 5G is completely safe while others feel it might be 10 years or later before we know more about the risks of 5G. 5G has a fiber backbone and is nothing more then a improved version of WI-FI but with a monthly subscription. Some people on 5G might cancel their cable TV service Internet because they mainly use a Smartphone and not a Desktop or Laptop computer. Other people well keep both for reliability.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 01-24-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (01-24-2019), Robert Zohn (01-24-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
atsc 3.0, hdr, nab, uhd/hdr tv system, value electronics