Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Hitchcock: British International Pictures Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49
9 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$56.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
18 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$23.49

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Angel Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Annabelle Comes Home (Blu-ray)
$18.97
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-26-2019, 02:48 AM   #621

May 2015

Now I know why this place gets made fun of...
Thanks given by:
ewsjr (07-26-2019), Shemp (07-26-2019), Videovore (07-26-2019), yourmomcalled (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #622
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar_balla21 View Post
A lot of people seem to be blaming Criterion but remember Toho has a reputation for not being easy to work with and may have had a hand in the lack of certain extras (like the extra dubs)
Yeah, I donít hand Criterion much blame for this setsí (aside from the awful graphics) perceived shortcomings. Toho has *always* undermined officially licensed non-Japan released home video releases of the Godzilla films. The whole debacle with Tokyo Shocks two Godzilla film Blu-rays is just one example. Part of it is Toho looks at the Godzilla franchise as their crown jewel like Disney does with their classic films and part of it is the unique Japanese nationalistic attitude and monolithic way of doing business that often seems self-defeating.

And Criterion has long wanted to do at least a few of the key, best Godzilla films as far back as the late 80ís laserdisc years. At one point, it looked pretty certain Criterion was going to do double laserdisc gatefold Japanese and English version sets of Gojira/Godzilla and Mothra vs Godzilla/Godzilla vs The Thing and when negotiations fell through, Toho did release exactly those two films in exactly the same format (although Godzilla was a LD box set) in *very* Criterionesque packages.

For better or worse, this set is the culmination of decades of back and forth between Toho and Criterion. The guys at Criterion undoubtably know this isnít the ideal collection they would want to release but at some point, a decision was made to go with what Toho was willing to offer and they went with it.

Knowing Toho, I wouldnít be surprised to see a roll out of vastly superior UHD/remastered Blu-ray releases of the series in a couple yearís time.
Thanks given by:
chriszilla (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #623

Oct 2010
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedihunter View Post
They clearly didn't care to include any new extras outside of a interview with some actor who has no ties to the franchise outside of a BBC documentary.

If Criterion really wanted to get American edits they could have as I know of people who have prints who reached out to criterion numerous times yet have never heard back over the years. They simply don't care to.
You seem to think Criterion had the power to shape this release in the way they saw fit, but just couldn't be bothered to go to the trouble.

If so, you would be incorrect. I can't even imagine the number of hoops they had to jump through to make this release happen. But since complaints about this set were inevitable, don't let me stop you...
Old 07-26-2019, 02:56 AM   #624

Oct 2012

So you get one audio track from Criterion - original mono. On my Japanese KKvG blu-ray, it comes with 4 audio tracks - original mono, a special 4.0 surround track that was done for the original release, a remixed 5.1 that sounds very good (the best track to me) and an isolated 4.0 musical score. It also has a 5th audio track but I ignore it because it's a Japanese commentary.

Many of the Japanese blu-rays also includes an alternative cut of the films, called the "Champion Festival" cuts which are shorter versions that played for Japanese kids during movie marathons. Not essential, but actually not bad to have especially for your own kids.

This is the kind of set I expected a mass market label to put out, not Criterion. The only thing "cool" about it is that it's the first time the whole thing has been offered in one set. But frankly, I couldn't care less about a "set".
Old 07-26-2019, 03:00 AM   #625

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
Knowing Toho, I wouldnít be surprised to see a roll out of vastly superior UHD/remastered Blu-ray releases of the series in a couple yearís time.
...and that's exactly what I will wait for. I'm not giving Criterion a dime. I'm saving the money (and then some) to get 4K UHDs or 4k Remastered blu-rays direct from Toho...and I'll have to pay them a ransom for it. Oh well. I'm a diehard Showa Godzilla fan. Can't be helped.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:06 AM   #626
Special Member

Aug 2013

Im a fan of the color they used in the art
Old 07-26-2019, 03:06 AM   #627
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaenos View Post
So you get one audio track from Criterion - original mono. On my Japanese KKvG blu-ray, it comes with 4 audio tracks - original mono, a special 4.0 surround track that was done for the original release, a remixed 5.1 that sounds very good (the best track to me) and an isolated 4.0 musical score. It also has a 5th audio track but I ignore it because it's a Japanese commentary.

Many of the Japanese blu-rays also includes an alternative cut of the films, called the "Champion Festival" cuts which are shorter versions that played for Japanese kids during movie marathons. Not essential, but actually not bad to have especially for your own kids.

This is the kind of set I expected a mass market label to put out, not Criterion. The only thing "cool" about it is that it's the first time the whole thing has been offered in one set. But frankly, I couldn't care less about a "set".
Itís worth mentioning that the Festival cut on the Toho Japan King Kong vs Godzilla is from a significantly better condition print than the uncut, complete version on that disc that as cobbled together from several sources.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:11 AM   #628

Dec 2009

Am I disappointed? A bit. I expected more from Criterion, just as many others did. But holy crap, what's all the whining about? Me, I own all of these films on DVD already. Not Blu-ray, sure, but the Showa era is by far my least favorite of the three series; it might have the first film, but it also has the worst ones by far with Son of Godzilla, All Monsters Attack, vs. Gigan and vs. Megalon, to name a few. This is also the era that garnered the series the reputation as cheap kiddie entertainment that was akin to garbage, hence the whining about the choice of films for spine #1000 over on the Criterion thread.

All of that said, I'm ecstatic for this set. I love the artwork; I would prefer a digibook a la the Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park sets, but the idea behind this set is neat. I appreciate Criterion taking the time and effort to gather these films for fans like myself into a nice package, in addition to jumping through the hoops with Toho and Universal to provide the two cuts of King Kong vs. Godzilla. Yeah, it's not definitive, but hell, when has a new edition of one of these films ever been? Even when Criterion released their initial disc for the original Godzilla I kept my Classic Media DVD for the extras therein. Doesn't look like anything's about to change. It could always be better, but it could also just not exist at all.
Thanks given by:
chriszilla (07-26-2019), ewsjr (07-26-2019), Kaiju23 (07-26-2019), LordStewie (07-27-2019), Mikezilla3k (07-26-2019), professorwho (07-26-2019), SuperFlyHighGuy (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 03:21 AM   #629

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
Itís worth mentioning that the Festival cut on the Toho Japan King Kong vs Godzilla is from a significantly better condition print than the uncut, complete version on that disc that as cobbled together from several sources.
Yep and that's the transfer they will be using as they didn't get the 4k remaster that was used from 35mm elements. Major problem with this set is nothing was clearly cleaned up at all they just used whatever Toho gave them which is extremely disappointing as aside from the amount of films. Much much smaller labels have done far more with these films.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:23 AM   #630
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

in my opinion this is one of the top 5 releases they have put out in the last few years.
The others would be the tree of life, olympics, bergman and lone wolf & cub set
Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 AM   #631

Sep 2009

It is the current mind set: get something you enjoy, complain that it is not enough, explain what it is lacking, defend your thought process that it should be better(i.e. you deserve better), disagree with others who do not share your specific views, then...…...………………...…...…………………………………………………………………… ………...………………………………………………………………………………...…………………...… ……..Squirrel!!!

This is a stellar release. I understand that some people view kaiju as a low cinematic artistic experience, as much as I do those who view it as a high. To each our own, I suppose.

Having a book format that is equal, in height to Bergman is cool(Bergman, Godzilla, and HG Lewis will rest on my shelf together) .

Absolutely a day one purchase.
Thanks given by:
LordStewie (07-27-2019), Nailwraps (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 03:50 AM   #632

Aug 2011
UCLA

People didn't seem to like the packaging of the new Godzilla Criterion set, so I'm starting a project to make each film a standalone cover using the vibrant pop art accompanying the set. As a proof-of-concept, here's the WIP 14th film in the series, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974). Keep an eye on the Custom Covers Thread for the rest of the set.
Thanks given by:
deltatauhobbit (07-26-2019), El_Fez (07-26-2019), fred25_Ca (07-26-2019), Kaiju23 (07-26-2019), limevista (07-26-2019), LordStewie (07-27-2019), Mikezilla3k (07-26-2019), Rzzzz (07-26-2019), Spooked (07-26-2019), yourmomcalled (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 03:56 AM   #633
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

this set is $149.99 on diabolikdvd, even cheaper then the criterion preorder
Thanks given by:
yourmomcalled (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:00 AM   #634
Power Member

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothercrow421 View Post
People didn't seem to like the packaging of the new Godzilla Criterion set, so I'm starting a project to make each film a standalone cover using the vibrant pop art accompanying the set. As a proof-of-concept, here's the WIP 14th film in the series, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974). Keep an eye on the Custom Covers Thread for the rest of the set.
Holy Sh*t, you are the man! That is beautiful! The art of the set is starting to grow on me and I like the book but I am looking at my blu ray shelves and thinking "Where the **** am I going to put this thing??" I will want one of your covers for each of these films. I will follow up this post with a pm so I can find out where I can make a donation for your time and trouble. GREAT WORK!
Thanks given by:
Justanothercrow421 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 AM   #635

Apr 2011
Montreal

Quote:
That is already so much better than what Criterion is doing, wow!

Edit: I just got excited for nothing, I just realised that there are multiple movies per discs. I was going to use these incredible covers and make one for each movies but what's the point if there aren't enough discs anyhow?
Any solutions?

Last edited by fred25_Ca; 07-26-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Thanks given by:
Rzzzz (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:12 AM   #636

Oct 2012

James Bond did it first and much better. The artwork is a joke.

Last edited by Qaenos; 07-26-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:13 AM   #637

Feb 2017

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of (some) English dubs. Iíd say most people buying this set grew up watching these movies on tv- and I think those English dubs are part of our memories of them.
Thanks given by:
Rzzzz (07-26-2019), Spooked (07-26-2019), Zillamon51 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:15 AM   #638
Power Member

Sep 2014

I understand being disappointed with certain aspects of this set (I happen to like the cover art, but I know that's a matter of personal taste), and I've certainly complained about certain boutique labels making avoidable errors or questionable omissions on their releases.

But from all we've heard and read about how Toho handles this particular IP, this set really is a monumental accomplishment by Criterion. I can't wait.
Thanks given by:
Chabrolesque (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:16 AM   #639

Aug 2011
UCLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred25_Ca View Post
That is already so much better than what Criterion is doing, wow!

Edit: I just got excited for nothing, I just realised that there are multiple movies per discs. I was going to use these incredible covers and make one for each movies but what's the point if there aren't enough discs anyhow?
Any solutions?
Correct, only about half of them would actually have a disc. But they'd sure look pretty on the shelf.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:20 AM   #640
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

Quote:
Correct, only about half of them would actually have a disc. But they'd sure look pretty on the shelf.
Why don't you make covers for the discs where it's what on the disks?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America