Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39
18 hrs ago
Dracula Untold 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.99
18 hrs ago
Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$4.99
18 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.99
15 hrs ago
Kin (Blu-ray)
$4.99
17 hrs ago
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

The Purge: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #61
Special Member

Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
It appears that 6 ohm mode may be your best option.
I feel idoit! I pull there speakers at 6 ohm. those speakers are original on receiver Panasonic SC-HT900 has 6 ohm Impedance. I've receiver Panasonic SC-HT900 called "Home Theatre Speaker". I moved those speaker to Family Room.

bookshelf speakers at 8 ohm by Energy Audio. I used the front speaker for L and R on my HD receiver.

later, I'll buy separates amplifier.....uh and PSB speakers.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #62
Power Member

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_King View Post
My 805 also has 6ohm mode which is for any speakers between 4ohm and 16 ohm. 4ohm mode is only if your speakers are 4 ohms or higher but less than 6 ohms so 6ohm mode sounds best.
where did you find this quote ?? never seen it before
just trying to get us all on the same page
Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #63
Special Member

Jun 2007
Houston,Tx

I have question I'm going to purchase new speakers CANTON 490 and the specs on the speakers says nominal impedance 4...8 ohms that means I have to set my receiver to 4ohms?
One more question what is the real power handling for this speakers because the specs show Nom/Music 150/320 watts?
Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #64
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearyt View Post
where did you find this quote ?? never seen it before
just trying to get us all on the same page
I got it off my copy of the Onkyo TX-SR805 model receiver manual. Apparently, my receiver only has 6 ohm and 4 ohm modes and was already on 6ohm mode.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #65
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapy View Post
I have question I'm going to purchase new speakers CANTON 490 and the specs on the speakers says nominal impedance 4...8 ohms that means I have to set my receiver to 4ohms?
Always set the receiver to match the lowest impedance of your speakers.

Quote:
One more question what is the real power handling for this speakers because the specs show Nom/Music 150/320 watts?
Thanks
The Music rating is a B.S. rating and is like the peak rating. It means the speaker can handle the peak of a musical instrument for a fraction of a second. It is used for marketing purposes.

The first number, Nominal, is more useful and measures how much the speaker can actually handle.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #66
Power Member

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

found the page (22)... the way I read it

"You can connect speakers with an impedance of
between 4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the
connected speakers is 4 ohms or more but less than 6,
be sure to set the speaker impedance to 4 ohms (see
page 45). If you use speakers with a lower impedance,
and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long
period of time, the built-in amp protection circuit may
be activated."

Key wording is "if any single speaker is 4-6 ohm, then set for 4 ohm"

Last edited by gearyt; 02-04-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #67
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearyt View Post
found the page (22)... the way I read it

"You can connect speakers with an impedance of
between 4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the
connected speakers is 4 ohms or more but less than 6,
be sure to set the speaker impedance to 4 ohms (see
page 45). If you use speakers with a lower impedance,
and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long
period of time, the built-in amp protection circuit may
be activated."

Key wording is "if any single speaker is 4-6 ohm, then set for 4 ohm"
Driver-King,

It looks like you may have have misunderstood the manual. If you are using your receiver with those Polk vintage SDAs, you should set your receiver to 4ohms. Alternatively, you can send the SDAs to me. I have external amplifiers and will take better care of them.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #68

May 2007

If you can tolerate one more ignoramus question , here it is:

I have a chance to buy some true "high end" speakers at a screaming deal bargain price. They are 4 ohm speakers. I've noticed that while mass market speakers are 8 ohm, a lot of audiophile speakers seem to be 4 ohm.

I think I understand the basic principle here: A 4 ohm speaker needs twice the current to play equally loud as an 8 ohm speaker, assuming the sensitivity of the speakers is equal.

I have a lower end receiver which is definitely not rated for speakers below 8 ohms. Can I hook the 4 ohm speakers up to it and just play them at a lower volume, thus keeping from overloading the receiver? I have a small listening room, and don't listen at super loud levels, so I feel like my receiver could probably output more power than I'm currently using, although I have no idea how much more.

I know I'll need to upgrade my electronics to do justice to these speakers, but I'm on a tight budget and need to shop very carefully.

On a related note, what in the world do the speaker "wattage" figures mean? My new speakers are supposedly 10-200 watts. I know they don't require 200 watts, but what about the 10 watts? Could you really run these speakers off a 10 watt amp? Seems unlikely. Or is 10 watts needed for the speakers to make any sound at all? I'm not quite grasping this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #69
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Yes, if you have a 10 watt amp that can handle 4ohm loads, you could absolutely power those speakers well. It's just that over time on amps made for 8ohm speakers and more will have trouble powering 4 ohm speakers and can hurt your amps life. My 805 is made to be able to power 4 ohm speakers and my SDA's are pretty efficient speakers. I will try 4 ohm mode then.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

By the way, what receiver and speakers do you plan to buy and what receiver do you currently have Texitura?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #71
Power Member

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

Quote:
Driver-King,

It looks like you may have have misunderstood the manual. If you are using your receiver with those Polk vintage SDAs, you should set your receiver to 4ohms. Alternatively, you can send the SDAs to me. I have external amplifiers and will take better care of them.
HEY !!, I found it... so I should take care of the speakers !!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #72
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texitura View Post
I have a lower end receiver which is definitely not rated for speakers below 8 ohms. Can I hook the 4 ohm speakers up to it and just play them at a lower volume, thus keeping from overloading the receiver?
Yes, your receiver will work. The amount of damage it suffers in the long run depends on how often and how loud you play your music/movies.

Quote:
I know I'll need to upgrade my electronics to do justice to these speakers, but I'm on a tight budget and need to shop very carefully.
You are correct. To do justice to the high-end speakers, you need a good amplifier. There are plenty of great used two-channel amps on Ebay and Audiogon. If your receiver has pre-outs, you can use it as the pre-amp and power the speakers with the amplifier.

Quote:
On a related note, what in the world do the speaker "wattage" figures mean? My new speakers are supposedly 10-200 watts. I know they don't require 200 watts, but what about the 10 watts? Could you really run these speakers off a 10 watt amp? Seems unlikely. Or is 10 watts needed for the speakers to make any sound at all? I'm not quite grasping this.
The speaker ratings, particularly the higher number is for marketing purposes. The 10 watt means that you need at least that much power for the speakers to make decent sound, but you really need a lot more headroom than the minimum 10 watts for the speakers to give you quality sound without clipping.

That second number is B.S. It means that the speaker can tolerate peak power of 200 watts for a fraction of a second, but if you feed it continuous power of 200 watts, it will distort badly and you may end up damaging the speakers. In most cases, you don't have to worry. If you feed your speakers 200 watts of continous power, you will need a new pair of ears.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 02-04-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #73

Oct 2008
Default Impedence not matched?

I have been looking at PSB Alpha series speakers. I am interested in a pair of B1 bookshelfs and a C1 center. I am confused over the impedance rating of these speakers. While they are apparenlty a matched set, the B1's are rated a 6ohms. The C1 is rated at 8. My receiver is a Sony STR-DG820 which is rated a 8 ohms (I believe). Am I safe in using these speakers with my receiver and will the difference in speaker impedance cause any sound issues?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #74
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
I have been looking at PSB Alpha series speakers. I am interested in a pair of B1 bookshelfs and a C1 center. I am confused over the impedance rating of these speakers. While they are apparenlty a matched set, the B1's are rated a 6ohms. The C1 is rated at 8. My receiver is a Sony STR-DG820 which is rated a 8 ohms (I believe). Am I safe in using these speakers with my receiver and will the difference in speaker impedance cause any sound issues?
The PSB speakers are excellent. The T1 series are rated 8 ohms, but the B1 series are rated 6 ohms. Although it is best to use a receiver or amplifer that can handle low-impedance speakers, as long as the volume is kept at a reasonable level, the Alpha's should not cause any problems for your receiver.

I believe your receiver should have enough current to provide the required power without overheating. The power requirements of Alpha B1's are very low.

If you can stretch your budget, buy a pair of T1 or Image B25. You may be happier in the long run.

The difference in impedance does not necessarily cause any sound issues. Impedance will not a big factor in determinig the quality of the sound that comes out of the speakers.

This Southern California dealer has a huge sale on PSB speakers. Scroll to the bottom and you will see some great package deals.

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

You can also find great deals on brand new PSB speakers on Ebay:

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/ite...s%27&_osacat=0

Read review:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2006.html
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #75
Special Member

Jul 2008

Would bi-wiring a 6 ohm speaker make it's effective impedance 3 ohms?

(I asked an associated question in the bi-wiring sticky, but this seems like an applicable place).
Old 02-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #76
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Would bi-wiring a 6 ohm speaker make it's effective impedance 3 ohms?

(I asked an associated question in the bi-wiring sticky, but this seems like an applicable place).
It all depends on how the receiver is designed. If your receiver has an A and B option for the receiver and advises you not to connect low impedance speakers, don't do it. Most probably, the receiver treats the two connections as two different 6 ohm speakers in parallel and the impedance may drop to 3ohm. My Denon receiver supports two side surround speakers (A & B) on the right and two on the left. This is in addition to the two rear surrounds. The manual specifically warns against using low impedance speakers. I us 4 side surrounds and power them with external amplifiers.

Bi-wiring does not really give you significantly better sonic results. If you want to achieve better results, use bi-amping. Using a different power source and bi-amping your speakers is the way to go. I tri-amp my Defenitive Technology super towers. They already have a built-in powered 15" subwoofer. They sound very good.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #77
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
It all depends on how the receiver is designed. If your receiver has an A and B option for the receiver and advises you not to connect low impedance speakers, don't do it. Most probably, the receiver treats the two connections as two different 6 ohm speakers in parallel and the impedance may drop to 3ohm. My Denon receiver supports two side surround speakers (A & B) on the right and two on the left. This is in addition to the two rear surrounds. The manual specifically warns against using low impedance speakers. I us 4 side surrounds and power them with external amplifiers.
The FAQ for my receiver confirms that it treats the two connections as two different speakers in parallel. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Bi-wiring does not really give you significantly better sonic results. If you want to achieve better results, use bi-amping. Using a different power source and bi-amping your speakers is the way to go. I tri-amp my Defenitive Technology super towers. They already have a built-in powered 15" subwoofer. They sound very good.
Good to know. I'll have to give bi-amping some consideration when the budget allows.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #78

Oct 2008
Default Pulled the Trigger

Quote:
The PSB speakers are excellent. The T1 series are rated 8 ohms, but the B1 series are rated 6 ohms. Although it is best to use a receiver or amplifer that can handle low-impedance speakers, as long as the volume is kept at a reasonable level, the Alpha's should not cause any problems for your receiver.

I believe your receiver should have enough current to provide the required power without overheating. The power requirements of Alpha B1's are very low.

If you can stretch your budget, buy a pair of T1 or Image B25. You may be happier in the long run.

The difference in impedance does not necessarily cause any sound issues. Impedance will not a big factor in determinig the quality of the sound that comes out of the speakers.

This Southern California dealer has a huge sale on PSB speakers. Scroll to the bottom and you will see some great package deals.

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

You can also find great deals on brand new PSB speakers on Ebay:

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/ite...s%27&_osacat=0

Read review:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2006.html

I took your advice and bought a a pair of T1's and a C1 this week. I love them. Best thing, my wife thinks they look great. Life is good. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #79
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
I took your advice and bought a a pair of T1's and a C1 this week. I love them. Best thing, my wife thinks they look great. Life is good. Thanks for the info.
Congratulations. If your wife likes them, that is the most important thing. Many women object to ugly black boxes, particularly subwoofers, in the room. PSB speakers are quite attractive. Now, I deserve an invitation for an evaluation of your new speakers.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #80
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

ok i think i understand as much as i can and ever will regarding ohms, let me just ask.... since a receiver that can power a 4 ohm speaker can also power a 6 or an 8, why would it not have all those options available? And if this is not a set in stone number and a klipsch speaker that says 8 ohms can dip as low as 2 (taken from another thread), does this means at times your receiver is easy going and at times its stressing regardless of volume or is this in response to volume?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers