Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$131.79
4 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$18.39
21 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Downton Abbey (Blu-ray)
$22.96
4 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Abominable (Blu-ray)
$22.96
4 hrs ago
One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 11-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #141
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
I remember the first Paranormal Activity being a big deal when it first came out. I don't remember very much about it now. It has been so long since I've seen it.
It's the movie where people stay in the house even after multiple events would lead sane people to get out and go crash on a friend's couch or even a bench at a bus station. I'd go sleep in my car after just the events of the first hour...by the end of it, the protagonists were so dense and even unlikable, I was rooting for the ghost/demon/evil spirit. At some point in certain horror films, characters can start acting like people continually climbing into a lion cage at the zoo. Lion gonna lion, ghost gonna ghost, demon gonna demon. Get out of the house.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #142
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Sacramento, CA

Lots of great titles being thrown out and here but at the moment for me it would be a toss up between The Strangers and Hereditary
Old 11-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #143

Jul 2012
New Orleans

My pick based off of what was said would be Get Out. I enjoyed seeing this so much at the movie theater that i went a second time and it was a completely different movie. You can watch it 100 times and still find stuff you didn't catch before.

I would also like to mention two that haven't been on the list

Maniac (2012) and Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #144

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMaza16 View Post
My pick based off of what was said would be Get Out. I enjoyed seeing this so much at the movie theater that i went a second time and it was a completely different movie. You can watch it 100 times and still find stuff you didn't catch before.

I would also like to mention two that haven't been on the list

Maniac (2012) and Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
All three of the films you mentioned are excellent and I'm happy to own them. Maniac, in particular, doesn't get nearly enough love.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:03 AM   #145
Expert Member

Nov 2016

Disclosure: I didn't really get into horror flicks until this decade, so the 00's for this genre is mostly a blind-spot for me.

One of these films that got me into horror is V/H/S/2. Is it the best? probably not, but it is my favorite. I had so much fun with this film.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:41 AM   #146
Banned

Nov 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dame View Post
The Others (2001)

Has everything a good horror film needs. It is scary, creepy, atmospheric, engaging and even a bit disturbing. Acting is outstanding, and the setting is brilliant. Simply perfect on all accounts.
The Others was a great horror film and for all the reasons you listed. I remember walking out of the theater at the time thinking "I wonder when I can buy that on DVD"! Such a great film on DVD, Blu-ray and I won't hesitate to pick up a 4K disc in the future (assuming there will be).
Thanks given by:
Leslie Dame (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:45 AM   #147
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014

1. Saw
2. Let the Right One In
3. Happy Death Day
Old 11-20-2019, 02:55 AM   #148

Dec 2011
Downingtown, PA

Green Room
Green Room alll daayyyyyyyyy boys. Shit had me floored when I saw it in the theater. Life altering.

Runner Ups
Session 9
Hereditary
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2
Inland Empire
28 Days Later
Wolf Creek
Kill List
Cabin Fever
Ichi The Killer (Horror? Idk)
The VVitch
Martyrs
REC
Anti Christ
Under The Skin
Lake Mungo
Old 11-20-2019, 03:17 AM   #149
Special Member

Apr 2016

Horror is not my genre. But it looks like I'm going to have to watch The VVitch and probably It Follows and Martyrs too (even the poster for Martyrs looked like it is too much for me).

Saw was an experience for me, I haven't seen any of the sequels, but man that first one was edge of your seat. I liked The Ring in a 'gadzooks let's hope I don't have to watch that movie again' sort of way. The Blair Witch Project was just out of the 20 year range, that one stuck with me.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #150

Apr 2019
Pennsylvania

Since I can't remember The Ring perfectly well, I think I'm still gonna choose it because it's fun and scary and takes you on a mystery that pays off in the end with the scary girl actually getting someone, but maybe I should actually say It Follows. You don't know what the hell it is trying to get them, but's scary as ****, a lot of it being because you don't know what it is, and the dread of it coming and getting you, the dread of it getting close, the dread of not knowing what it is or what it will do...plus, great characters and the story, maybe that's the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHarvest View Post
I'm going with Session 9. It has such a creeping dread associated with it. Incredible, underrated performances from everyone in front of and behind the camera.
I am bewildered. But my two close friends also liked it. I felt it was a movie where nothing happened. The best part was what the voice said at the end, but even that was just not something as scary as like a demon or a vvitch or an "it" out to get you, and coming so close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Haunting of Hill House for me, hands down, although think The Babadook was very good and smart.
Why did you think that about The Babadook?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #151
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Nottingham, United Kingdom

I can't see it mentioned but I think Drag Me To Hell is a masterpiece. And that ending. I'll go with that

But I do agree with Martyrs. I revisit it every year as its just a film I have to see to believe kind of thing.

The Hills Have Eyes is also great on the gore along with mutated monsters.

Last edited by Michael1989; 11-20-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #152
Banned

Oct 2013
Blackwater

Drag me to hell is excellent, its that pesky cgi that hurts it

Last edited by LegacyCosts; 11-20-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #153
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Dusty View Post

Why did you think that about The Babadook?
Because the Babadook comes on like a ghost/spooky demon movie, only to reveal itself as a metaphor for grief and guilt...the things people don't talk about but haunt them, tearing them apart, and the resolution of guilt and grief isn't trying to obliterate them, but to accept them and find peace. And it's pretty scary and frightening at times.

Sometimes, our favorite genre films are like a magic act, distracting you with one hand, while the other hand is doing something else, and that's the hand that's really doing the trick. Babadook is exactly like that -- distracting you pretending to be a film about a dark frightening presence, when the film is really about the psychological wounds of the two lead characters.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #154
Power Member

Oct 2014
Denmark

Quote:
Because the Babadook comes on like a ghost/spooky demon movie, only to reveal itself as a metaphor for grief and guilt...the things people don't talk about but haunt them, tearing them apart, and the resolution of guilt and grief isn't trying to obliterate them, but to accept them and find peace. And it's pretty scary and frightening at times.
Liam Gavin's A Dark Song shares similarities with The Babadook. Love them both.
Thanks given by:
Ernest Rister (11-20-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 12:09 AM   #155

Oct 2017

Quote:
It's the movie where people stay in the house even after multiple events would lead sane people to get out and go crash on a friend's couch or even a bench at a bus station. I'd go sleep in my car after just the events of the first hour...by the end of it, the protagonists were so dense and even unlikable, I was rooting for the ghost/demon/evil spirit. At some point in certain horror films, characters can start acting like people continually climbing into a lion cage at the zoo. Lion gonna lion, ghost gonna ghost, demon gonna demon. Get out of the house.
One of the plot points in the movie was that the Demon doesn't stop following the protagonist regardless if she changed location or not; hence why she continued to be haunted after the events in her prior life when implicitly her home was burned down by the demon.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #156

Dec 2011
WA

The Descent. Can't think of many other monster movies that are suspenseful before the monster shows up.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #157
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaguellyAlluring1 View Post
One of the plot points in the movie was that the Demon doesn't stop following the protagonist regardless if she changed location or not; hence why she continued to be haunted after the events in her prior life when implicitly her home was burned down by the demon.
She could have just bought a case of this...

Old 11-24-2019, 04:24 AM   #158

Apr 2019
Pennsylvania

Quote:

Sometimes, our favorite genre films are like a magic act, distracting you with one hand, while the other hand is doing something else, and that's the hand that's really doing the trick. Babadook is exactly like that -- distracting you pretending to be a film about a dark frightening presence, when the film is really about the psychological wounds of the two lead characters.
Ok, but I thought the monster itself was dumb. A top hat wearing all black man? What is that? It wasn't a ghost. It hadn't been human before. It wasn't a demon. What demon is like a man in a top hat? And it really is the stupidest idea for a monster because, again, what monster is like a man in a top hat? The emotional stuff didn't resonate with me. I don't know what guilt there even was for the two leads. And it ended with them feeding the monster which means feeding their grief and guilt was the solution according to you. Wtf?!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies