Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Columbo: The Complete Series (DVD)
$28.99

Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Monk: The Complete Series (DVD)
$28.99

Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (DVD)
$28.99

The Great Escape (DVD)
$29.49

Ray Donovan: Season Six (DVD)
$17.31

Doctor Who: The Matt Smith Collection (DVD)
$14.99

The Nanny: The Complete Series (DVD)
$62.87

Little Women (DVD)
$17.95
6 hrs ago
Will Ferrell 3-Movie Collection: The Other Guys / Step Brothers / Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (DVD)
$5.96
3 hrs ago
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (DVD)
$17.96
16 hrs ago
Hallmark 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$10.29

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 09-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #61
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman3 View Post
I really want to own the original 2011 Blu-ray release, and not the cheap-o Disney re-release that's widely available now.

My only fear is once I purchase the Blu-ray set, chances are a 4K collection will be announced.

All I'm saying is with a possibility of a nine-film 'Skywalker Saga' set, Disney better deliver on the bonus features. Though I doubt that will ever happen and they'll give us a bare bones release.
They're not going to release the original versions...so why bother with any of the poor quality options being suggested here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeWorldwide View Post
Despecialized isn't an option for those that want to own an official release. But for purists, I wouldn't recommend Despecialized. There are scans out there of the original theatrical prints with nothing altered and original audio as well.
Well, it *IS* an option. It's got more detail on it. Either one will do. It just comes down to aesthetics and preferences.
Thanks given by:
jw007 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Another movie is coming out in three months and an eventual re-release of three trilogies for home media three or four months after that. Who knows what that will bring?

Disney knows there is demand there for the original trilogy. They are also struggling with new movies that feel less like a trilogy now anyway, and more like an ongoing serial.

When they decide that STAR WARS needs a hype injection, they know what they need to do to get the OG fans back into the fold.

Maybe it will be a Disney+ exclusive?
Thanks given by:
jw007 (09-09-2019), mikeyfridebuzz (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #63
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post

Bite

Your

Tongue
Thanks given by:
spoonlamp (11-17-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #64
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Reading these comments has made me realize I've been right the entire time. I've held off on buying the blu-ray editions of the OT after I learned about the sequel trilogy at the time they were about to produce. Now that the 9th and final (?) movie of the sequel trilogy (ST) is nearly here (Rise of SkyWalker), I'm for sure just going to wait until these are all available in one big blockbuster 4K set. And it would be a dream come true if Disney included a restored HD (1080p) version of the OT as well (I doubt it will see 4K but I'll take an official 1080p version any day).

I'm in no hurry to wait until the "definitive" edition is released. Even if I don't live to see that day, I don't care. I've watched all of these films enough to remember them in my everlasting memory.
Thanks given by:
spoonlamp (11-17-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #65

Mar 2009
Vegas

I'd personally say just hold out for an eventual box set (hopefully 4K) with all the movies. Guessing we'll probably see one around the time The Rise of Skywalker hits home formats.
Thanks given by:
jw007 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #66
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

Quote:
Shhhh. Donít give them any ideas.

I mean, I'm already signed up for three yearsí worth of Disney+, but I want to actually OWN the movies too lol.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (09-09-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #67

Aug 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw007 View Post
...it would be a dream come true if Disney included a restored HD (1080p) version of the OT as well (I doubt it will see 4K but I'll take an official 1080p version any day).
I heard a rumour that George Lucas burned the original prints and personally bought every copy of OT footage and burned it, laughing as he did so...
Old 12-07-2019, 03:06 AM   #68

Jan 2009
Bronx, NY

I own the 2008 blue cover dvd re-release that contained the OT as bonus discs.

These of course are sourced from the laserdisc versions and are non- anamorphic.

Recently however, I caved in and purchased Harmyfilm's despecialized editions (720p but they look great!) off a seller who makes nice fan made blu-ray editions with inserts,covers, and criterion blu-ray cases. I am quite pleased with the quality.

I take blu-ray collecting very seriously, however, this is the ONLY case where I would actually recommend getting a non-official release.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 AM   #69
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Bite

Your

Tongue
Coco on Disney+ is presented in two fashions...and there's always that "Extras" button. But I'd think they'd hit the home market first. Then again, they bypassed physical media entirely for the remastered Melody Time on Disney+. I think Star Wars is a little more popular than Melody Time. Just slightly.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:15 AM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Streaming is the Holy Grail for all studios.

No printing, manufacturing, inventory, retailers or piracy concerns.

They retain the films. Everyone else pays per view so they get ongoing monthly revenue.

On top of that everyone else pays to download and view it from them to essentially eliminate all the former 'middle men' in between.

Home video was always a means-to-an-end for Disney.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:42 AM   #71

Apr 2013
City On The Edge Of Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded Man View Post
I own the 2008 blue cover dvd re-release that contained the OT as bonus discs.

These of course are sourced from the laserdisc versions and are non- anamorphic.

Recently however, I caved in and purchased Harmyfilm's despecialized editions (720p but they look great!) off a seller who makes nice fan made blu-ray editions with inserts,covers, and criterion blu-ray cases. I am quite pleased with the quality.

I take blu-ray collecting very seriously, however, this is the ONLY case where I would actually recommend getting a non-official release.
Just a minor nitpick, but those DVDs are sourced from the home video master that the 1995 "Faces" LaserDiscs used. They are also the only official home video release to have the original title crawl for Star Wars that does not have the 'A New Hope' tagline. The first VHS release in 1982 included the tagline. Since the 1995 master did have the tagline, someone in 2006 got an original print, and slapped it onto the DVD.

In the end, still an awful way to watch the films.
However, I will bear my sins and admit I like the 1997 Special Edition LaserDiscs. They look amazing, and have absolutely killer audio.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:46 AM   #72
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Streaming is the Holy Grail for all studios.

No piracy concerns.
Thanks given by:
dr. wai (01-02-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies