Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
4 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
3 hrs ago
Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
10 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
4 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Thunderbolt (Blu-ray)
$16.59
5 hrs ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99

Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Will likely get The General, Metropolis, and Nosferatu.

And I know this shouldn't matter at all, but I'm kinda bummed there is no unifying artwork theme with these releases, similar to Criterion, MoC, StudioCanal and BFI.

Oh well, at least I don't have the urge to buy everything they put out.
Saves my wallet some.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
Send a message via AIM to kndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post

And I know this shouldn't matter at all, but I'm kinda bummed there is no unifying artwork theme with these releases, similar to Criterion, MoC, StudioCanal and BFI.

Saves my wallet some.
Yeah, that would have been cool. But I think that with KINO releases, where Criterion and MoC fans buy everything, KINO has releases niche titles. You have those who enjoy the silents, those who enjoy classics or Noir but I think the difference from KINO and Criterion and other companies that serve a niche audience is that the releases are quite expensive.

I've always wanted to get their box sets but man, I've been observing some for years and they rarely go down. We can expect Criterions to go on sale from an online store and get them half-off or near half-off. But KINO's....man, I wish.

I swear if B&N.com does a KINO 50% off sale...I'm going to take advantage of that...hehe...

Last edited by kndy; 02-01-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #23
Special Member

Feb 2009

They have to release "The White Hell of Pitz Palu"!!! That movie is just wonderful and needs a blu transfer immediately.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #24

Oct 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Send a message via AIM to Cheerupemokid

I'm very excited for Fallen Angels coming out. That might be my favorite Wong Kar-Wai film (I haven't seen it in forever, but it always stands out on my mind) and I've wanted to get it for awhile now to, if nothing else, show my girlfriend. Glad I waited on the DVD, since obviously I'd much rather have it on blu.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #25

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post

Saves my wallet some.
Absolutely... KINO needs a serious branding upgrade. They offer a unique product at a premium price, an investment in consistent branding across their releases should be a given – plus people will part with their money far easier if an item is wonderfully packaged.

I’m grateful for KINO for some of their releases that I would not have been able to see otherwise, but some of them are seriously lacking not only in package design but more importantly in film restoration. The DVD design for Mirror is probably one of the worst I’ve ever seen, and unfortunatly their presentation of the film doesn’t look much better. As such I have ordered most of the Artificial Eye DVD releases of Tarkovsky’s films when Kino has been the only North American option.

KINO has improved in the last few years (I haven’t seen a blu ray from them yet, but they seem to be reviewed well). Their last DVD releases of Faust and Metropolis look excellent, and I know a consistent brand would help improve their credibility.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #26

Nov 2008

Well apparently I wasn't allowed to link to that days of being wild blu ray/dvd comparison. Its not like I take that site as gospel, just trying to be helpful. I ought to go back to lurking
Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie

So, is everyone all ready for the "Battleship Potemkin" release? Hehe....
Old 02-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #28

Dec 2009

I wish they would release The Piano Teacher on Blu-ray. The DVD is terrible. Non anamorphic, interlaced and horribly overpriced.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #29
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndy View Post
So, is everyone all ready for the "Battleship Potemkin" release? Hehe....
I sure am, I have a very bad DVD copy...I am hoping they will give it the restauration it deserve
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie

For those who can't wait to see the restored "Metropolis" (which hopefully is coming out this year on Blu from KINO), Roger Ebert has posted the following on Twitter:

The restored version of "Metropolis" streams Friday from Berlin Film Fest! Includes a great deal of newly-found material! See next tweet

"Metropolis" will stream here with French titles. Click on the bell icon to trigger e-mail alerts. http://www.arte.tv/fr/semaine/244,br...year=2010.html

"Metropolis" streams here Friday with German titles. Goggle the story and no titles are necessary. http://www.arte.tv/de/arte-magazin/3032192.html

Last edited by kndy; 02-09-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

May 2009
Naples, Italy.

Please, preserve 'STALKER'. That's the most spiritualistic movie of all time. The DVD kinda sucked, we need a restoration.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #32
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndy View Post
For those who can't wait to see the restored "Metropolis" (which hopefully is coming out this year on Blu from KINO), Roger Ebert has posted the following on Twitter:

The restored version of "Metropolis" streams Friday from Berlin Film Fest! Includes a great deal of newly-found material! See next tweet

"Metropolis" will stream here with French titles. Click on the bell icon to trigger e-mail alerts. http://www.arte.tv/fr/semaine/244,br...year=2010.html

"Metropolis" streams here Friday with German titles. Goggle the story and no titles are necessary. http://www.arte.tv/de/arte-magazin/3032192.html
I am still hoping for a showing from Arts Television here in Montreal sometime in the next few weeks
Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie

Whoo Whoo! "Fallen Angels" is out (positive review on blu-ray.com) and then "Happy Together"....but still waiting for "Battleship Potemkin"!!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie

DeepDiscount has a sale on KINO titles for 52% off through April 8th. Unfortunately, the blu-rays are not being offered but there are some rarities that I doubt will be released on Blu-ray, especially those old 1895-1930 films and box sets.

Went crazy with this sale and I think this is the first time I have seen a major KINO sale ever.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #35
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Coming on July 6, Buster Keaton's Steamboat Bill, Jr.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. Blu-ray

Pro-B

Last edited by Deciazulado; 04-16-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Send a message via ICQ to Harlock415 Send a message via AIM to Harlock415 Send a message via Yahoo to Harlock415

Managed to see that new restored print of Metropolis. Some scenes are still pretty damaged and scratched but for the most part it did add quite a bit to the power of the film. Twenty-five minutes is a lot. The film played with a full live orchestra playing the original score as composed for its 1927 release.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #37
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

I'm loving the Keaton films coming out on Blu.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie

Looks like "Battleship Potemkin" is receiving positive reviews:

DVD Talk

DVD Beaver

So, far the cheapest I've seen of the Blu-ray is for B&N members using the 15% off coupon taking it down to a little over $21. But Amazon has it at $25 which is pretty good.

Put my order in...definitely looking forward to watching this one!!!!

Also, just to add....some silents and classics added to Kino's $9 sale on their website. Not Blu-ray but some of those titles, probably will not be making it to Blu-ray for awhile or ever. Anna Karina fans may want to check "La Ronde", Murnau fans who don't intend to buy the box set will definitely dig "Haunted Castle", Eisenstein fans will probably want to dig "Que Viva! Mexico".

I watched "Jan Dara"...and I felt I was watching it more for Christie Chung than anything. Also, I've heard the "Billy Wilder Speaks" is very good but my only problem with it is that the telecast had 4.5 hours worth of footage while the US release has the 70 min. (although there is an additional 71 min. of more footage).

Last edited by kndy; 04-23-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Can we sticky this thread?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtdog View Post
What would be the point of that? More people here care about movies like Elektra and Terminator Salvation than they do about quality stuff like what Kino produces.
Well I could give a crap less what those people care about because they don't know nothing. Second, Criterion's page and StudioCanal's page is there, why not Kino? It is better that Kino gets a sticky thread so I don't have to go and find it all of the time. I think Kino's whole inventory >>>>>> an Avatar sticky thread. Just the world I have to live in.

Last edited by SpiderBaby; 04-23-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors