Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$54.99
20 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
7 hrs ago
Herzog: The Collection, Vol. 2 (Blu-ray)
$45.99
20 hrs ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
20 hrs ago
Kill Butterfly Kill & American Commando 6 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
19 hrs ago
Streets of Fire 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
20 hrs ago
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar (Blu-ray)
$13.99
20 hrs ago
Summer School (Blu-ray)
$15.99
20 hrs ago
The Flash 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Silver Bullet 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.00
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2022, 03:43 AM   #1
WahooFan86 WahooFan86 is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2022
Default The best 43" 4K TV right now?

As the title says...

A 43" is the biggest display I can fit in my studio apartment. I tried a TCL 4 Series, but the speakers were tinny and I found the TV screen darker than I preferred.

Looking at a Vizio V-Series, but not sure if I should wait for the forthcoming "2023" models, or get a current "2022" model.

Also open to Hisense or Insignia, though I've been warned off of Toshibas. Soundbar isn't an option, as my neighbors would complain.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #2
Panson Panson is offline
Power Member
 
Feb 2021
44
277
53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooFan86 View Post
As the title says...

A 43" is the biggest display I can fit in my studio apartment. I tried a TCL 4 Series, but the speakers were tinny and I found the TV screen darker than I preferred.

Looking at a Vizio V-Series, but not sure if I should wait for the forthcoming "2023" models, or get a current "2022" model.

Also open to Hisense or Insignia, though I've been warned off of Toshibas. Soundbar isn't an option, as my neighbors would complain.
2022 Samsung QN90B 43"

2022 LG C2 OLED 42"
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:35 PM   #3
slimdude slimdude is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooFan86 View Post
As the title says...

A 43" is the biggest display I can fit in my studio apartment. I tried a TCL 4 Series, but the speakers were tinny and I found the TV screen darker than I preferred.

Looking at a Vizio V-Series, but not sure if I should wait for the forthcoming "2023" models, or get a current "2022" model.

Also open to Hisense or Insignia, though I've been warned off of Toshibas. Soundbar isn't an option, as my neighbors would complain.
The 2023 models of all brand new TVs are going to cost more because they're new. The 2022 or older TVs will be the cheapest. If you can wait until the end of November- December, there will be some good deals on TVs for Black Friday through Christmas. If I were in the market to buy a new TV, I would wait a couple more months.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-01-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 03:33 AM   #4
unberechenbar unberechenbar is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
May 2021
USA
5
324
324
295
3
Default

Since you posted this in the LCD thread, I'm guessing you're not interested in an OLED. In that case the Samsung QN90B is the best TV you can get.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:45 PM   #5
Spooked Spooked is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Washington
2
128
567
104
94
27
3
13
3
Default

I'm actually in the same boat, but I'm getting confused by all the options. I've got total light control in the room, so that's never an issue. Considering I'm using my TV for movies and occasional streaming only, I've managed to narrow it down to these three:

Sony - 42" class BRAVIA XR A90K 4K HDR OLED Google TV
LG - 42" Class C2 Series OLED evo 4K UHD Smart webOS TV
Samsung - 43 Class QN90B Neo QLED 4K Smart Tizen TV

How the heck is $1000 now the entry point? It's kind of nuts. Does anyone have any experience with these?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #6
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
I'm actually in the same boat, but I'm getting confused by all the options. I've got total light control in the room, so that's never an issue. Considering I'm using my TV for movies and occasional streaming only, I've managed to narrow it down to these three:

Sony - 42" class BRAVIA XR A90K 4K HDR OLED Google TV
LG - 42" Class C2 Series OLED evo 4K UHD Smart webOS TV
Samsung - 43 Class QN90B Neo QLED 4K Smart Tizen TV

How the heck is $1000 now the entry point? It's kind of nuts. Does anyone have any experience with these?
The demand for small screen TVs has probably dropped significantly making the remaining options more expensive. The emphasis is on ever larger screen sizes.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 07:26 PM   #7
Spooked Spooked is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Washington
2
128
567
104
94
27
3
13
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The demand for small screen TVs has probably dropped significantly making the remaining options more expensive. The emphasis is on ever larger screen sizes.
Tell that to my 60" wall space!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:30 PM   #8
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
Tell that to my 60" wall space!
I would tell it that there are a whole slew of options in the 55" screen size. Many of which are very competitively priced.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-01-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 09:14 PM   #9
Spooked Spooked is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Washington
2
128
567
104
94
27
3
13
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I would tell it that there are a whole slew of options in the 55" screen size. Many of which are very competitively priced.
True, but it's a corner wall with an open doorway on the other side. I've done the measurements, and 42"-43" is it. A 48" could technically fit, but it'd look terrible. You're right though, there aren't a whole lot of options. (Which should make it easier, really.) I was hoping someone here had some experience with one or more of the models I listed above.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:23 PM   #10
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
True, but it's a corner wall with an open doorway on the other side. I've done the measurements, and 42"-43" is it. A 48" could technically fit, but it'd look terrible. You're right though, there aren't a whole lot of options. (Which should make it easier, really.) I was hoping someone here had some experience with one or more of the models I listed above.
It wouldn't be me. I moved up to a 85" TV and there's just no going back. 43" feels like a computer monitor to me now. I am spoiled rotten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:32 PM   #11
MechaGodzilla MechaGodzilla is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
MechaGodzilla's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Sweden
79
635
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
I'm actually in the same boat, but I'm getting confused by all the options. I've got total light control in the room, so that's never an issue. Considering I'm using my TV for movies and occasional streaming only, I've managed to narrow it down to these three:

Sony - 42" class BRAVIA XR A90K 4K HDR OLED Google TV
LG - 42" Class C2 Series OLED evo 4K UHD Smart webOS TV
Samsung - 43” Class QN90B Neo QLED 4K Smart Tizen TV

How the heck is $1000 now the entry point? It's kind of nuts. Does anyone have any experience with these?
I'm pretty sure you've got all the high-end options for this size class (in the US market) covered there, yes.

Personally, I'd lean towards the Sony A90K. Sony are known for having the best processing and the most accurate color reproduction out-of-the-box.

On top of that, the Sony OLEDs are supposed to have very good built-in sound, but I don't know how relevant that is in your case (it's not very important if you use a soundbar or AVR + speaker setup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The demand for small screen TVs has probably dropped significantly making the remaining options more expensive. The emphasis is on ever larger screen sizes.
For a while, high-end 43" TVs nearly went extinct. But they've actually come back in the last couple of years, with LG Display starting to manufacture 42" OLED panels. As it turns out, demand is pretty high and they sell well, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
True, but it's a corner wall with an open doorway on the other side. I've done the measurements, and 42"-43" is it. A 48" could technically fit, but it'd look terrible. You're right though, there aren't a whole lot of options. (Which should make it easier, really.) I was hoping someone here had some experience with one or more of the models I listed above.
You may already know this, but just making sure you're aware TV screen size is measured diagonally and not by width. So a 65" TV is actually closer to 55" wide, for example. A 55" TV is around 48" wide.

Just want to make sure you're aware of this, so you're not overestimating how large a TV of a certain size class actually is.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #12
Spooked Spooked is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Washington
2
128
567
104
94
27
3
13
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
I'm pretty sure you've got all the high-end options for this size class (in the US market) covered there, yes.

Personally speaking, I'd lean towards the Sony A90K. Sony are known for having the best processing and the most accurate color reproduction out-of-the-box.

On top of that, the Sony OLEDs are supposed to have very good built-in sound, but I don't know how relevant that is in your case (it's not very important if you use a soundbar or AVR + speaker setup).



For a while, high-end 43" TVs nearly went extinct. But they've actually come back in the last couple of years, with LG Display starting to manufacture 42" OLED panels. As it turns out, demand is pretty high and they sell well, too.



You may already know this, but just making sure you're aware TV screen size is measured diagonally and not by width. So a 65" TV is actually closer to 55" wide, for example. A 55" TV is around 48" wide.

Just want to make sure you're aware of this, so you're not overestimating how large a TV of a certain size class actually is.
Thank you for your helpful (and thorough) response. I'm definitely leaning hard towards the Sony, but I hadn't even thought about the sound - good point! (And I am measuring correctly, but thank you for checking. Sometimes it's easy to get over-focused on minute details and forget the obvious stuff. )
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 07:43 PM   #13
MechaGodzilla MechaGodzilla is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
MechaGodzilla's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Sweden
79
635
235
Default

Yep, Sony A90K remains my recommendation, then. It's the all-around best-performing set, and if you need the TV's built-in audio, then that's just one more thing the A90K does better than the other two!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (10-03-2022), Spooked (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:25 PM   #14
Robert Zohn Robert Zohn is offline
Retailer Insider
 
Robert Zohn's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY
2
Default

@Spooked, good timing, just today Sony's 42A90K and the 48A90K are on promotion for $1,249 and $1,299 respectfully.

All prices include delivery to your home and they are in stock.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:45 PM   #15
Spooked Spooked is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Washington
2
128
567
104
94
27
3
13
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
@Spooked, good timing, just today Sony's 42A90K and the 48A90K are on promotion for $1,249 and $1,299 respectfully.

All prices include delivery to your home and they are in stock.
Thanks, Robert!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (10-03-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #16
Spooked Spooked is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Washington
2
128
567
104
94
27
3
13
3
Default

Just pulled the trigger this morning on the 48" Bravia XR A90K direct from Sony. Required a little "joint financing", but Christmas has come early!

(I may or may not be moonwalking on Cloud 9 right now.) Hopefully this feeling will still be with me when it arrives and I find myself trying to set it up. It's been 8 years since I've set up a television, and it was confusing as Hell back then.

I really appreciate all your help, guys. Thank you!

Last edited by Spooked; 10-04-2022 at 04:22 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (10-05-2022), Robert Zohn (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:54 PM   #17
Panson Panson is offline
Power Member
 
Feb 2021
44
277
53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
Just pulled the trigger this morning on the 48" Bravia XR A90K direct from Sony. Required a little "joint financing", but Christmas has come early!

(I may or may not be moonwalking on Cloud 9 right now.) Hopefully this feeling will still be with me when it arrives and I find myself trying to set it up. It's been 8 years since I've set up a television, and it was confusing as Hell back then.

I really appreciate all your help, guys. Thank you!
Nice call. A distinct bump on its relation, the A80K.

Me? I may have coal in my stocking. Thinking X85K 43" for a small room.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (10-05-2022), Spooked (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 10:41 PM   #18
Spooked Spooked is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Washington
2
128
567
104
94
27
3
13
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Nice call. A distinct bump on its relation, the A80K.

Me? I may have coal in my stocking. Thinking X85K 43" for a small room.
Well hopefully not. (Regarding the coal. )

But the X85K certainly isn't a slouch, either. It's actually surprisingly hard to find a high-quality television under 50" any more. I think we're all spoiled.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Panson (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #19
MechaGodzilla MechaGodzilla is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
MechaGodzilla's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Sweden
79
635
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
Just pulled the trigger this morning on the 48" Bravia XR A90K direct from Sony. Required a little "joint financing", but Christmas has come early!

(I may or may not be moonwalking on Cloud 9 right now.) Hopefully this feeling will still be with me when it arrives and I find myself trying to set it up. It's been 8 years since I've set up a television, and it was confusing as Hell back then.

I really appreciate all your help, guys. Thank you!
Congrats! So I see you went for 48" over 42" in the end.

Feel free to start posting in this thread here. The whole reason I start those dedicated threads is for owners and people interested in the relevant TVs to have a place to discuss them.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (10-05-2022), Spooked (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 06:41 PM   #20
Spooked Spooked is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spooked's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Washington
2
128
567
104
94
27
3
13
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
Congrats! So I see you went for 48" over 42" in the end.

Feel free to start posting in this thread here. The whole reason I start those dedicated threads is for owners and people interested in the relevant TVs to have a place to discuss them.
Oh wow. Thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46 AM.