Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Star Trek: The Next Generation… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Running Man (Blu-ray)
€14.97
9 hrs ago
The Neon Demon 4K (Blu-ray)
€12.97
9 hrs ago
Das Boot (Blu-ray)
€34.97
9 hrs ago
Babylon Berlin Collection Staffel 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
€26.97
9 hrs ago
Louis de Funès - Die Gendarmen-Blu-ray-Box (Blu-ray)
€24.97
9 hrs ago
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K (Blu-ray)
€17.97
9 hrs ago
Sherlock: Seasons 1 - 3 (Blu-ray)
€22.97
9 hrs ago
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Blu-ray)
€7.00

Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€88.97

Captain Future Komplettbox (Blu-ray)
€42.97
9 hrs ago
Billy Wilder Filmkollektion (Blu-ray)
€29.97
9 hrs ago
Bud Spencer & Terence Hill: 20er Mega Blu-ray Collection (Blu-ray)
€74.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 01-19-2015, 03:40 AM   #381
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

I know I'm late to the party but I just ordered the Re-Animator/Bride of Re-Animator steelbook from Amazon de.

£13.53 including shipping to UK was just too good a price to pass up, for unrated versions of these two classic films on good looking blu-rays.

Hopefully the poor sound quality of Bride won't be too distracting?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #382
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Had an enjoyable Re-Animator double bill yesterday. Wow, Bride really does sound pretty darn bad. Can't really complain considering the price I paid (was like buying a special edition of the original film with the sequel in HD as a bonus feature). But if I'd bought the more expensive 3 disc Bride of Re-Animator mediabook, then yes - I'd have been very unhappy indeed.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #383
Special Member

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

Maybe I need to re-watch my Bride mediabook version, I can't remember it having particularly bad audio
If it is poor I will have to get the Arrow UK version due this year (hoping not to double dip if I can help it though, although the Arrow version will have a booklet I can read)
Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #384

Feb 2013

I didn't think Bride sounded THAT bad. Dialogue may have been slightly muffled, but certainly better than my old Pioneer DVD. I don't remember this film ever sounding spectacular so I wonder if the issues aren't inherent to the original source.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #385
Special Member

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

Good point - I havent compared the audio to my pioneer dvd either and I really dont want to re-buy this movie again so soon

If the Arrow version has the same extras as the mediabook I will be ok, if not ... *checks wallet*
Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #386
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post
I didn't think Bride sounded THAT bad. Dialogue may have been slightly muffled, but certainly better than my old Pioneer DVD.
I thought that it sounded pretty awful compared to my previous dvd copy. I once sold off a 700 piece dvd lot to a UK firm, so that I could start investing in a blu-ray collection, a fair number of years ago (but I did keep my Dario Argento dvds!). Unfortunately I can't recall which uncut and unrated dvd version of Bride that I actually owned. But I'm pretty certain that it didn't sound anywhere near as bad as this and I'm also fairly sure that the forthcoming Arrow blu-ray will sound a hell of a lot better.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #387

Mar 2012
Monrovia, Indiana U.S.
Default U.S. blu-ray plans?

Didn't I read somewhere that Lionsgate's U.S. rights were about to expire? That was last year. I'm hoping for a nice U.S. blu of BRIDE.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #388
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

While the German release easily beats the (not that terrible) US BD, I just got the Japanese Reanimator which has the film on a MPEG-4/AVC encoded BD-50, and the bonus features on a seperate DVD. Though it appears to come from the same transfer as the US disc, PQ and the overall look is much better, IMO. I suppose it benefits from a superior encode. To my eyes it even has a more pleasing, cinematic appearance than the German release, with earth tones and skin tones looking more natural, and the reds & bright colors pop beautifully. Blacks are deeper and contrast is stronger than the US without looking pushed. These things can be subjective I know.
I updated the product listing here, but don't know how to figure an average or total bitrate. Checking the display on my Oppo, the bitrate is in the same ballpark as the US but not identical.
I will certainly keep watching both the JP and German discs alternately, but prefer the JP one even though it's from a 1080p (or 2K?) transfer. (I only have a 42" set, but sit really close, and can still appreciate the benefits of higher res transfers & bitrates, but might escape issues that people with much larger sets would notice.)
The JP BD has both HD 5.1 and LPCM 48/16 original stereo, both commentaries, as well as a Japanese dub.
Unless I missed something, it has all the special features on the German and US BDs. It also has the Storyboard sequence and a 10 minute stills gallery which I can't remember are on both the DE and US blu-rays or not.
The Japanese sell the alternate "Integral" expanded cut seperately. I won't be buying that one, as I already have the German set, and will only watch this cut with the deleted hypnosis element as an occasional curiosity.
Also, there is no optical censoring of genitals, which is a problem on some other JP BD titles (Warhol's Frankenstein, Holy Mountain).

Last edited by billyearle; 01-09-2016 at 04:25 AM. Reason: has both commentaries, rental version had 1, & a typo
Old 06-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #389

Mar 2010

Any info on whether the regular amaray case version of Bride has both the unrated and the r-rated versions as with the media book version?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #390
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyearle View Post
I will certainly keep watching both the JP and German discs alternately, but prefer the JP one even though it's from a 1080p transfer.
What do you mean by this?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #391

May 2014

The japanese BD was made from the old 2k (=1080P) master that was used for the US disc. The German disc (and the UK as well) used a new 4k scan.

How one can prefer a BD using the old crappy master from anchor bay over a BD using the German 4k transfer is totally beyond me:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ID=753#auswahl
Thanks given by:
lolwut (06-30-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:53 AM   #392
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
The japanese BD was made from the old 2k (=1080P) master that was used for the US disc. The German disc (and the UK as well) used a new 4k scan.

How one can prefer a BD using the old crappy master from anchor bay over a BD using the German 4k transfer is totally beyond me:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ID=753#auswahl
Well, you could say it's subjective, and also equipment sensitive. Better looking isn't only a matter of superior numbers. For someone with more tech-creditbility, I just read another of Dr. Svet's reviews here where he prefers an older 1080p release to a new 4K transfer release for various reasons, color timing or saturation, balancing of brigtness & contrast etc (this time it was Arrow's BD of 3 Women). And there are many instances where people lament the messed up or faded colors on a new BD over previous DVD releases. Again, you can't really use stats to back that up.
I'm a painter, so I tend to focus on subjective things like the balance of blacks & whites, & color schemes & saturation, or framing (meaning more info on screen isn't necessarily better). Not saying you need to be an artist to appreciate those things, or act superior, just explaining where I'm coming from on this. And I only have a 42"!!!
Like I said, I'm not tossing my German BD, I might change my mind on preference even.
Although it's from the same (2K) transfer, I think the JP BD looks very different from & better than the US one. Better encoding I suppose, looks more colorful with deeper blacks and more contrast, but still having a filmlike appearance to me. I'm guessing the somewhat lackluster look of the US BD is more down to the encoding than the transfer. But everyone has different equipment and eyes, so a huge YMMV.
I would only confidently recommend the JP BD to people that are solid enough fans of the film to be interested in an alternative. I can't argue with superior numbers. I'm really happy to have gotten it.

Last edited by billyearle; 07-01-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:32 AM   #393
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
USA

So im looking into buying Bride of Re-animator on Blu-ray. I was all set to grab the German version but then I saw the one from Spain. It supposedly has a 5.1 English HD track. Any info on this? https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bride...lu-ray/102915/
Old 07-02-2015, 02:41 AM   #394
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
USA

Just read upthread about the one coming from Arrow. Is that still happening?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #395

May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyearle View Post
Well, you could say it's subjective, and also equipment sensitive. Better looking isn't only a matter of superior numbers. For someone with more tech-creditbility, I just read another of Dr. Svet's reviews here where he prefers an older 1080p release to a new 4K transfer release for various reasons, color timing or saturation, balancing of brigtness & contrast etc (this time it was Arrow's BD of 3 Women). And there are many instances where people lament the messed up or faded colors on a new BD over previous DVD releases. Again, you can't really use stats to back that up.
I'm a painter, so I tend to focus on subjective things like the balance of blacks & whites, & color schemes & saturation, or framing (meaning more info on screen isn't necessarily better). Not saying you need to be an artist to appreciate those things, or act superior, just explaining where I'm coming from on this. And I only have a 42"!!!
Like I said, I'm not tossing my German BD, I might change my mind on preference even.
Although it's from the same (2K) transfer, I think the JP BD looks very different from & better than the US one. Better encoding I suppose, looks more colorful with deeper blacks and more contrast, but still having a filmlike appearance to me. I'm guessing the somewhat lackluster look of the US BD is more down to the encoding than the transfer. But everyone has different equipment and eyes, so a huge YMMV.
I would only confidently recommend the JP BD to people that are solid enough fans of the film to be interested in an alternative. I can't argue with superior numbers. I'm really happy to have gotten it.
This has nothing to do with numbers. Look at the increase in fine Detail alone in die 4k-Transfer. You can own the best equipment you want and have perfect eyes and the old transfer would still loose big time.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #396
Power Member

Oct 2013
-
-
-

Quote:
How one can prefer a BD using the old crappy master from anchor bay over a BD using the German 4k transfer is totally beyond me
Don't worry about Billy, he's got a few of those infamous TC Entertainment JP BD upscales in his collection, including "Il Grande Silenzio" and "I Giorni dell'ira" (the latter being one ugliest DNR atrocities I've ever seen, while Arrow's is one of the best 2-perf Techniscope transfers on the format). I'd say his opinion about any "transfer" is more than invalid.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #397
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
This has nothing to do with numbers. Look at the increase in fine Detail alone in die 4k-Transfer. You can own the best equipment you want and have perfect eyes and the old transfer would still loose big time.
No doubt. Not disagreeing with that. Just saying there are other things than detail. The JP one does look a lot better than the US one though. I think you may be judging the transfer based solely on the weak US BD. I'm not saying the German one isn't great or isn't technically superior.
In short, while the German one has obvious technical advantages, I find myself liking things about the Japanese one, it's differences in color and such. Not saying anything against the German one, I love it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
Don't worry about Billy, he's got a few of those infamous TC Entertainment JP BD upscales in his collection, including "Il Grande Silenzio" and "I Giorni dell'ira" (the latter being one ugliest DNR atrocities I've ever seen, while Arrow's is one of the best 2-perf Techniscope transfers on the format). I'd say his opinion about any "transfer" is more than invalid.
Actually, since I had seen most of those Westerns not too many years ago on DVD, I haven't yet been in the mood to watch them again on Blu-ray, so I did't know about those problems. Looks like I'll have to be buying those again at some point, if my finances ever get better. I also have a number of DVDs I won't be able to upgrade, much as I'd like to.
Re-Animator is a favorite though, so I don't mind having an alternate version.

Last edited by billyearle; 07-03-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #398
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetMasterBlu View Post
Just read upthread about the one coming from Arrow. Is that still happening?
Anyone?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany