Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 05-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #521

Jun 2013

I am no expert when it comes to image quality and all the terms for all the different things that go into making up a good image. I have an LG OLED and an Oppo 4K player. The extent of my tweaking of the settings is to turn off all the abracabrada features that fux an image but I would never go in and start messing around with changing individual settings here and there.

I bought this disk last week in a sale in Australia and I have to say it was a horror to my eyes more so than a horror movie. The Fog is one of my fav movies ever and I have a number of releases I have bought over the years on blu ray. I was pumped to see this in 4K but dear lord! The first example of a cheap cash grab made by a studio that slapped 4K on the box and didn't put any effort into its production at all.

In the same week I watched Alien 4K and what a revelation by comparison. Sublime

The ending of The Fog where the ghosts are standing in the church about to claim back the gold was painful to watch. So much so that I took the disk back to JB Hi Fi the next day and exchanged it for something else.

Such a shame. At least the Scream Factory disk I have looks great on my set up.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:18 AM   #522

Mar 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie The Robot View Post
I am no expert when it comes to image quality and all the terms for all the different things that go into making up a good image. I have an LG OLED and an Oppo 4K player. The extent of my tweaking of the settings is to turn off all the abracabrada features that fux an image but I would never go in and start messing around with changing individual settings here and there.

I bought this disk last week in a sale in Australia and I have to say it was a horror to my eyes more so than a horror movie. The Fog is one of my fav movies ever and I have a number of releases I have bought over the years on blu ray. I was pumped to see this in 4K but dear lord! The first example of a cheap cash grab made by a studio that slapped 4K on the box and didn't put any effort into its production at all.

In the same week I watched Alien 4K and what a revelation by comparison. Sublime

The ending of The Fog where the ghosts are standing in the church about to claim back the gold was painful to watch. So much so that I took the disk back to JB Hi Fi the next day and exchanged it for something else.

Such a shame. At least the Scream Factory disk I have looks great on my set up.

Yeah, this is hands down the most disappointing 4k release thus far for me and it's not even close. To make it even more frustrating, the other Carpenter releases they did at the same time all look very good to great.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:05 AM   #523

Jul 2008
Melbourne, Australia

Watching this on My C9 OLED with the Panasonic 820, The dark scenes at the beginning and at the church are flickering badly. I turned of Dolby vision but it didn’t make any difference. But if I turn down the brightness to 48-47 the problem seems to diminish. I love this movie and am annoyed I have to play with the settings to resolve this issue.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:22 AM   #524
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycj View Post
Watching this on My C9 OLED with the Panasonic 820, The dark scenes at the beginning and at the church are flickering badly. I turned of Dolby vision but it didn’t make any difference. But if I turn down the brightness to 48-47 the problem seems to diminish. I love this movie and am annoyed I have to play with the settings to resolve this issue.
Wait til you see the finale...
Old 07-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #525

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hype88 View Post
Yeah, this is hands down the most disappointing 4k release thus far for me and it's not even close. To make it even more frustrating, the other Carpenter releases they did at the same time all look very good to great.
Prince of darkness 4k has only one scene with flickering black levels and Halloween 4k has a few of them as well. Only movies on 4k i ever experienced having this issue is with studio canal 4k transfers of Johns movies (except They live and Escape from New york). No other 4ks every did this eh. Hope for some better releases of Fog and Halloween later down the road
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #526
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Colorado, USA

That Halloween issue seems to be set-up dependent. No issues on my end.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:11 AM   #527

Jul 2008
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidian View Post
Wait til you see the finale...
Oh god how can they say there is nothing wrong with this release?
Worst 4K transfer I have seen to date, but I haven’t watched T2 yet.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:51 AM   #528
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycj View Post
Oh god how can they say there is nothing wrong with this release?
Worst 4K transfer I have seen to date, but I haven’t watched T2 yet.
It's not the worst transfer. it's actually a wonderful transfer.
it's just shithouse compression and a few instances of botched HDR.
Thanks given by:
fuzzymctiger (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #529

Jul 2008
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty100 View Post
I believe it’s not the worst out there, and yes there are some great scenes. Those botched scenes should have been addressed.
Thanks given by:
fuzzymctiger (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #530
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

It's f***ing wonderful compared to the previous SC version I had.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=12536&d2=12525&c=4925
Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #531
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
It's f***ing wonderful compared to the previous SC version I had.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=12536&d2=12525&c=4925
Even syphilis is wonderful compared to that piece of shit SD upscale that masqueraded as a 'Blu-ray' for so long. See also: the previous SC Blu of EFNY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty100 View Post
And even those things are either ameliorated or outright fixed when watching in Dobly.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies