Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
17 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
14 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93
 
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
17 hrs ago
The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Death and Return of Superman: The Complete Film Collection Giftset 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.01
 
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95
 
Annihilation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #201
david_blu david_blu is offline
Member
 
Jul 2011
Default

Superman is worse in UHD in my view. I have explained my reasoning in its own thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 AM   #202
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
138
452
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
People that still buy DVDS frighten me but I see many facebook comments laughing at people who want their movies to look good and buy UHD over streams so what do I know?

If I still had my original 500 movie blu ray collection I probably wouldn't upgrade either. I'm in a unique situation where I sold my films off a long time ago so they're all upgrades to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePreacher View Post
Nice.

I totally agree with you about people who buy DVD when the Blu-Ray is available. I don't get it.
People can buy DVDs if they want. Just don't try to have an opinion about it when talking to me in the movie aisle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #203
stvn1974 stvn1974 is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Oklahoma
17
Default

I think I like the Serenity BD better than the UHD. Chiwetel Ejiofor's black hair looks like he is wearing a helmet. Mal's coat is almost black instead of brown and River's dress goes from green to blue to black in some scenes. I have the BD on right now and you can actually make out the detail in Chiwetel Ejiofor hair.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-27-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #204
lgans316 lgans316 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
lgans316's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom
17
161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I think I like the Serenity BD better than the UHD. Chiwetel Ejiofor's black hair looks like he is wearing a helmet. Mal's coat is almost black instead of brown and River's dress goes from green to blue to black in some scenes. I have the BD on right now and you can actually make out the detail in Chiwetel Ejiofor hair.
Serenity is a hit or miss. The grain structure is less pronounced on the UHD alongside some weird application of HDR.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
stvn1974 (04-25-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-27-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #205
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
273
1848
146
19
69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_blu View Post
Superman is worse in UHD in my view. I have explained my reasoning in its own thread.
I think Superman overall looks better but its flaws are really distracting which might make the BD a better experience, not sure.

Kind of like Batman Begins and now Winter Soldier, when there's obvious flaws that bug you it might make the BD a better experience despite the UHD looking better most of the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #206
fighthefutureofhd fighthefutureofhd is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
fighthefutureofhd's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Dry County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
I should clarify. People that but DVDs when theres a blu ray or higher stream quality scare me. I bought ren and stimpy not too long ago. No blu ray for that
I'm sorry, but I will not buy or have anything to do with a higher stream quality if I can help it. For one, I can't stream. And two, I will not purchase a download if I can get the movie on disc. I don't care if it's only on DVD. I am for the most part strictly physical media only. I have on occasion bought movies on download for the 4K version, but I also bought the DVD version as well. If I ever do a download I make a point to counter that with a physical purchase of the same product if possible. Again sorry if that bothers people.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JEDGAR1000 (04-25-2019), stratford (04-27-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #207
singhcr singhcr is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
singhcr's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN
11
4
21
4
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I think Superman overall looks better but its flaws are really distracting which might make the BD a better experience, not sure.

Kind of like Batman Begins and now Winter Soldier, when there's obvious flaws that bug you it might make the BD a better experience despite the UHD looking better most of the time.
What's wrong with the PQ of the Winter Soldier UHD? Did they apply DNR to a frickin' digitally shot movie?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #208
JEDGAR1000 JEDGAR1000 is online now
Special Member
 
JEDGAR1000's Avatar
 
Aug 2017
United States
3
96
46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
I'm sorry, but I will not buy or have anything to do with a higher stream quality if I can help it. For one, I can't stream. And two, I will not purchase a download if I can get the movie on disc. I don't care if it's only on DVD. I am for the most part strictly physical media only. I have on occasion bought movies on download for the 4K version, but I also bought the DVD version as well. If I ever do a download I make a point to counter that with a physical purchase of the same product if possible. Again sorry if that bothers people.
Same here, I'll take a dvd over a HD or even 4k stream. Ownership comes first to me, followed by quality. Only time I've ever bought digital is if the disc is out of print and incredibly expensive.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Zoland2020 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #209
jh901 jh901 is offline
Power Member
 
jh901's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
PITTSBURGH PA
1
2
Default

There have been a small percent garnering forum consensus backlash, such as original Bourne series, T2, and Oblivion, but how many 2007/08 Blu-ray releases hold up against what we generally expect from standard Blu releases from the past few years? Does anyone believe that we'll have have a rationale for a re-release of nearly every early 4K UHD release 3 years from now?

So, this list must be very short! That's pretty terrific, frankly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #210
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
273
1848
146
19
69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
What's wrong with the PQ of the Winter Soldier UHD? Did they apply DNR to a frickin' digitally shot movie?
Yes, The Martian style.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #211
PeterTHX PeterTHX is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
12
Default

OR maybe it's just an absence of noise (compression/downconversion to REC709) and not DNR.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:06 AM   #212
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
273
1848
146
19
69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
OR maybe it's just an absence of noise (compression/downconversion to REC709) and not DNR.
Movies like Man of Steel look less noisy on UHD because of the better compression and resolution. Winter Solider, The Martian extended and others look less "noisy" because they've been DNR'd, and the difference is super obvious.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-27-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #213
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
426
1629
5
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
OR maybe it's just an absence of noise (compression/downconversion to REC709) and not DNR.
It's absolutely been de-noised. Me, I found it easy enough to overlook the worst moments of it and enjoyed the hell out of seeing my favourite MCU movie revitalised by the HDR.

Last edited by Geoff D; 04-26-2019 at 12:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #214
deanspot deanspot is offline
Member
 
Oct 2018
12
Default

King kong 4k disc seems to have overblown “white levels” and heavy DNR on select scene (see chapter 3) . i popped in the blu-ray, and the colors look more natural and cinematic .

anyone else thinks so?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #215
TXMoviebuff77 TXMoviebuff77 is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2017
San Antonio, TX
165
764
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I think Superman overall looks better but its flaws are really distracting which might make the BD a better experience, not sure.

Kind of like Batman Begins and now Winter Soldier, when there's obvious flaws that bug you it might make the BD a better experience despite the UHD looking better most of the time.
Aww man are you serious about the Winter Soldier? What about the other Cap movies & Avengers?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #216
Doctorossi Doctorossi is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Doctorossi's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
79
437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMoviebuff77 View Post
Aww man are you serious about the Winter Soldier?
Don’t despair before you see it. It’s not T2 and I (and many other enemies of excessive DNR here) think it looks great.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TXMoviebuff77 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #217
TXMoviebuff77 TXMoviebuff77 is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2017
San Antonio, TX
165
764
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Don’t despair before you see it. It’s not T2 and I (and many other enemies of excessive DNR here) think it looks great.
Well that’s a relief to hear
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #218
VirtuaBranson VirtuaBranson is offline
Member
 
Nov 2015
42
211
Default

Winter Soldier is fine and I honestly probably wouldn’t have noticed if not for people here pointing it out. It looks great and I only really noticed it like twice.

Last edited by VirtuaBranson; 06-06-2019 at 10:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 AM.