Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (3 hours left)
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (2 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
16 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #201
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Same with Widows. Outside of Sony honestly most studios now seem to be using HDR in a more retrained way, which I actually like a lot. The contrast and texture it adds is what I'm really after, way more than the pop. Though pop here and there when appropriate... like when Hemsworth is introduced on the beach in Bad Times... isn't a bad thing.

It's a shame First Class has that red push and poor compression though, as it really takes away from it. I think it's a more flawed disc than The Fog.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #202
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I had the same thought about Widows and I hasn't even seen it yets!

re: FC, for me it just about hangs together in spite of its poorly compressedness, that it maintains a baseline of meh which I can deal with, whereas The Fog may well look better resolved for the most part but when it gets bad then it's quite literally some of the worst professional video encoding I've ever seen. The mapping screw-up during the burning cross finale is also a major black mark against it.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #203
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
re: FC, for me it just about hangs together in spite of its poorly compressedness, that it maintains a baseline of meh which I can deal with, whereas The Fog may well look better resolved for the most part but when it gets bad then it's quite literally some of the worst professional video encoding I've ever seen. The mapping screw-up during the burning cross finale is also a major black mark against it.
Yeah I wasn't thinking about the cross, that might put it below this since it's such a distracting error at a key moment. The compression is basically just a battle of severe moments versus overall poor. Subjective which is worse I guess, but I really like the consistent grain on the BD of First Class.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #204
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Agreed on the grain, the BD does handle it better.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #205
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Rewatched this last night. I think the movie is quite good even though I would've preferred a straight reboot with the real original team instead of the attempt to make this a prequel/retcon.

The 4K disc was disappointing but not bad. Looked a bit mushy and what little grain was left looked poorly compressed. I put the Blu-ray in afterwards and it does a much better job and representing the film's filmic look.
Thanks given by:
lgans316 (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #206
Power Member

Feb 2012
Australia

All of the reviews put me off this one, but I eventually grabbed it for $16 AUD - the Deadpool photobomb edition. Just for a laugh. The 4K presentation is fine, I don't hate it. Just looks more like an iTunes version than a disc. I haven't watched this for a few years, but I still love it. It's perfection. Shame it was followed up by the likes of Apocalypse and, ahem, Dark Phoenix.

All these Fox X-Men titles, and we only got two home runs: First Class and Logan. Yick.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #207

Sep 2013
Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
All of the reviews put me off this one, but I eventually grabbed it for $16 AUD - the Deadpool photobomb edition. Just for a laugh. The 4K presentation is fine, I don't hate it. Just looks more like an iTunes version than a disc. I haven't watched this for a few years, but I still love it. It's perfection. Shame it was followed up by the likes of Apocalypse and, ahem, Dark Phoenix.

All these Fox X-Men titles, and we only got two home runs: First Class and Logan. Yick.
I didn't mind Days of Future Past too much, especially the veteran actor's performances. But yeah Apocalypse was disappointing, to say the least. Haven't seen Dark Phoenix but it looks very average and a lot of reviews say it is too.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies