Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Star Trek: The Next Generation… $24.49 (2 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pokťmon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch)
$36.80

Tennis World Tour (Switch)
$19.99

Kill la Kill - IF (Switch)
$49.94
10 hrs ago
LEGO DC Super-Villains (Switch)
$19.99

TT Isle of Man: Riding On The Edge (Switch)
$19.99

Crystal Crisis (Switch)
$24.99

V-Rally 4 (Switch)
$29.99

Sid Meier's Civilization VI (Switch)
$29.99

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch)
$41.86

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes (Switch)
$19.97

Owlboy (Switch)
$17.99

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster (Switch)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 05-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #121
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

The combat system in this one is GRAND.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #122
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

This is one I still keep meaning to pick up. I feel like Xenoblade sort of got lost in the shuffle in that amazing first year of Switch titles that came out. In hindsight it might have been better if Nintendo had held this one and instead released it last year, considering how drought- heavy the Switch's releases were in 2018.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:03 AM   #123
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

I beat this game last week. Honestly didnít expect to finish it when I started playing it as was intimidated by the reported size and tend to get bored when main quests start going well over 30 hours, but it wasnít nearly as long as I was expecting as I beat it in just over 39 hours and once I felt some of the drag come in, I was in the last few chapters and invested and close enough to see the game through.

Itís one of my favorite games on the Switch, there are some anime style cliches which I think are unnecessary (weird tonal shifts, sexualized female character designs) and games design choices which are flawed (cumbersome menus, the stupid field skills system), but the sights of the game, the music, the exploration, most of the story etc more than make up for its shortcomings. I played the prequel Torna game first (which I would recommend doing since it is nice to see the backstory of some characters before this game IMO, and while that does mean some spoilers I donít think it really gives anything away beyond the first third of this games story), and the battle system took till near the end of the 17 hours with that to really get to understand all of it, but with this I got into the battles right away.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #124
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

Torna is supposed to be played at the end of Chapter Seven, before Chapter Eight.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #125
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC

I'm trying to Max out all the Unique Blades before I get to the palace in Tantal.
To paraphrase Nia, "It's a slog!"
Old 05-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #126
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t play Torna before that point if you want to avoid any story spoilers, at least one is pretty major.

I thought it was more organic and rewarding to play it after completing the game in full.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #127
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Yeah I definitely wouldnít play Torna before that point if you want to avoid any story spoilers, at least one is pretty major.

I thought it was more organic and rewarding to play it after completing the game in full.
I think the only major spoiler in there is
[Show spoiler]the Pyra/Mythra dual identity
and thatís revealed about a third into the game. Really the only other one I can think of is
[Show spoiler]you know right at the start that Malos is a villain, but thatís the opening mission and pretty clear there is something fishy with that mission anyway

While I first played Torna not knowing if I would get XC2, and got that after enjoying it (and went with Torna cause had always been interested in the series and it was both a smaller money and time commitment), I felt it was nice to already be familar with many of the characters first and then see how their story progresses in XC2
[Show spoiler]thought it was cool to see a couple characters be good in Torna, fall to evil in the time between the games, and get something of a redemption near the end of XC2
. But really I think there is no wrong choice in playing either in chronological or release order.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:36 AM   #128
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Your first spoiler is the one I meant; my friends who played it were so happy they didnít know about it beforehand.

It is definitely a personal choice depending how you feel about those kind of things. I sadly knew about ahead of playing and would have loved to have that revealed in the game.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #129
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

The music is so dang good in this one. The map, not very useful. On chapter 4 right now.
Thanks given by:
Diesel (06-01-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #130
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Just defeated
[Show spoiler]Amalthus
and
[Show spoiler]Jin
died. I imagine I have to be close to the end.

In typical Xeno fashion weíre getting to the walk five steps and watch a 10 minute cutscene part of the game. Not complaining as itís got me hooked but the end pacing is atrocious.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:29 AM   #131
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Just defeated
[Show spoiler]Amalthus
and
[Show spoiler]Jin
died. I imagine I have to be close to the end.

In typical Xeno fashion weíre getting to the walk five steps and watch a 10 minute cutscene part of the game. Not complaining as itís got me hooked but the end pacing is atrocious.
Yep, not too much further left gameplay wise. Tons more cutscenes though

Curious to hear your final thoughts once you wrap it up.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #132
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

I'm not finished but it's not like these negatives will change by end game. They seem to have fixed a lot with patching so some of these surprise me they're still in there.

The field skill system. You can have tons of Blades but you have to make sure you have the correct ones equipped to do these. Very frustrating when you have to climb something to get to a jump point only to find out you don't have the right ones equipped. Wouldn't be so bad if you can get into the menu to do so but when you're climbing the pause screen cannot be used. Also points with multiple checks. The menu system is bad enough. Having to figure out who has what skills for each check and writing everything down is annoying. This entire system could be done better.

The Blade affinity chart. When playing you get a prompt that the Blade has developed a new skill. Problem is, that skill doesn't become active until you go into the affinity chart and watch the animation.

Didn't know you could replay Merc missions until the
[Show spoiler]Poppi QT
sidequest. A couple of times I had clicked on a finished mission and got the prompt it was already done and figured you couldn't replay them since you see the prompt the first time retrying any mission. It's not until you try a second time that you can replay them.

Season pass/advanced options is done in a totally Japanese way and the reason why I put it off for so long. The extra menu is a dlc item that needs to be opened before it can be used. really?

Most side quests are just like BotW. Pointless.

The female character models. It fits with the rest of the horny Japanese trope that is Masterpon but it's borderline cringey.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #133
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
I'm not finished but it's not like these negatives will change by end game. They seem to have fixed a lot with patching so some of these surprise me they're still in there.

The field skill system. You can have tons of Blades but you have to make sure you have the correct ones equipped to do these. Very frustrating when you have to climb something to get to a jump point only to find out you don't have the right ones equipped. Wouldn't be so bad if you can get into the menu to do so but when you're climbing the pause screen cannot be used. Also points with multiple checks. The menu system is bad enough. Having to figure out who has what skills for each check and writing everything down is annoying. This entire system could be done better.

The Blade affinity chart. When playing you get a prompt that the Blade has developed a new skill. Problem is, that skill doesn't become active until you go into the affinity chart and watch the animation.

[Show spoiler]Poppi QT
sidequest. A couple of times I had clicked on a finished mission and got the prompt it was already done and figured you couldn't replay them since you see the prompt the first time retrying any mission. It's not until you try a second time that you can replay them.

Season pass/advanced options is done in a totally Japanese way and the reason why I put it off for so long. The extra menu is a dlc item that needs to be opened before it can be used. really?

The female character models. It fits with the rest of the horny Japanese trope that is Masterpon but it's borderline cringey.

Yeah, I agree with and pointed out virtually all those complaints (you can see my impressions upon finishing the game), but still loved the game. I think it was good I waited playing until after Torna and I had the pass, as I believe updates and DLC fixed many of the issues that were even worse before (I also played the whole game in handheld mode and I heard that mode had a lot of frame rate/visual problems before the updates). While I always had some merc missions going, I basically ignored the side quests. Good because as you say I find the side quests pretty pointless, and that helps the pace over Torna where you have to do the vast majority of side quests to progress near what should be the end.

As for time left, I think the final chapter took me 2.5-3 hours (total completion was a bit over 39 hours and I think I was between 36 and 37 entering that) with probably at least half the time being cutscenes. Though I really liked the final chapter in both story and setting.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #134
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC

Quote:

[Show spoiler]Poppi QT

You forgot the main one...
100+ blades and that damn specific one needs to be active in order to fill the affinity chart while a few can have theirs done in reserve status

This is what is making the damn game take so long, filling out those specific Blades!

Menu design is also bull!
XC1 had a much better menu! Why change it if not broken?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #135
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

And thatís a wrap. About 78 hours. Loved the music as Iíve said a number of times. That combined with the anime is happening story really made me feel like I was playing the jrpgís I loved as a kid. There were tons of times I was just smiling while playing.

Really wish there was more to the ending. After all the info dump in the lead up I expected more from the actual ending. And while itís a nice bow tie ending when itís all said and done I might have preferred they ended with
[Show spoiler]the core crystal starting to glow
or just keeping
[Show spoiler]Pyra/Mithra gone.
Not a main concern though as the happy ending works.

The only unbeaten game I have left on Switch is Torna. Not sure if I want to get right into or wait. Iíve read it can be finished in about 20 hours. I may put it off and get to Days Gone.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:50 AM   #136
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
And thatís a wrap. About 78 hours. Loved the music as Iíve said a number of times. That combined with the anime is happening story really made me feel like I was playing the jrpgís I loved as a kid. There were tons of times I was just smiling while playing.

Really wish there was more to the ending. After all the info dump in the lead up I expected more from the actual ending. And while itís a nice bow tie ending when itís all said and done I might have preferred they ended with
or just keeping

The only unbeaten game I have left on Switch is Torna. Not sure if I want to get right into or wait. Iíve read it can be finished in about 20 hours. I may put it off and get to Days Gone.
Yeah, Torna took me 17 hours to beat, and since there was some learning curve by playing that first whereas with XC2 I could hit the ground running since I knew the gameplay mechanics, Iím thinking at most the main story mode is 40% of the length, probably more like 1/3.

As for extra stuff, the main post game content if you want is New Game Plus and trying to beat all the tough unique monsters, since you will have to do most side quests already to complete the main story (as you didnít like field skills and affinity charts to progress same as me, note you will have more of that in this game with requirements for some of the side quests).
Old 06-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #137
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:

[Show spoiler]Poppi QT

Quote:

or just keeping

I canít say I really disagree with most of your issues above, the game definitely needed some QoL improvements, a number of which happen in Torna. Despite the flaws I loved the game very much especially the more I thought about it after finishing.

The story had me hooked from the beginning and I was actually very happy it ended the way it did to give it a definitive wrap up since weíll never see another game set in this world probably.

Torna took me 26 hours to complete the story and all side missions plus the unique monsters. There are 4 super boss monsters you can unlock that I didnít defeat though that maybe Iíll go back and do one day. Torna definitely fixes the field skill issue since the only blades and skills available are the ones the story gives you so no need to worry about making sure you have the proper set up.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #138
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

The nod to the first game
Quote:
"Today we use our power to fell a God"
was pretty rad. I really liked how they tied them together.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch