Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Kill la Kill - IF (Switch)
$49.94

Pixark (Switch)
$19.99

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch)
$36.80

LEGO DC Super-Villains (Switch)
$19.99

Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch)
$29.99

Sid Meier's Civilization VI (Switch)
$29.99

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch)
$41.86

V-Rally 4 (Switch)
$29.99

Crystal Crisis (Switch)
$24.99

Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
$49.94

Carnival Games (Switch)
$14.99

Nelke & The Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of The New World (Switch)
$44.57
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #181
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Old 06-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #182
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Mega Evolutions and Z Moves confirmed to not be in the game.

I'm good with Mega Evolutions being cut as I personally think they looks nearly universally stupid. I don't actually know what Z Moves are so...
Old 06-13-2019, 04:10 AM   #183
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Still doesn't feel like they have gone all in with Pokemon as a console quality game.

Those pixel icons are just really dated and lazy looking on a console as powerful as the Switch is. The menu is really basic looking and flat too. Really hope they buck their ideas up for the next game. Not holding my breath though.
Agreed. I was hoping for something big out of these games and I'm not seeing it. I'm at a point where I need more than "its a new Pokemon game" to convince me and TPCI/Gamefreak haven't done a good job with that. Breath of the Wild set the bar way too high.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #184
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Agreed. I was hoping for something big out of these games and I'm not seeing it. I'm at a point where I need more than "its a new Pokemon game" to convince me and TPCI/Gamefreak haven't done a good job with that. Breath of the Wild set the bar way too high.
I think your looking into this a bit to much. The Open world had a very Breath of the Wild feel to it. The challenge and tournament stuff looked great, and the Pokemon combining into 1 or upgrading mid fight looked totally new. This game is going to be off the charts and the DLC expansions which will obviously add tons more Pokemon will be well worth it down the line.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #185
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Guess I am just glad I haven't played a Pokemon game in awhile cause this game looks hella fun to me. Can't wait. Hoping this game gets lots of post release support to make everyone happy.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #186
Power Member

Jun 2010

I'm really looking forward to this. I've never been big into Pokemon, had really only played Y and some Go. But I've really gotten into Let's Go Pikachu recently and now I'm pretty excited to play a more traditional Pokemon RPG this fall/winter.

A lot of diehards are bummed by the limited roster, but as a casual player it's fine by me. I already struggle to remember strengths and weaknesses and have a website up on my iPad next to me to search as needed when playing Let's Go. A huge roster just overwhelms me more. Though I totally get why diehards want as many as possible, and it's definitely a bummer for them.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #187
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

This Reddit post is 100% how I've felt about Pokemon games for the past few years. To see it reach 17.5K upvotes means it isn't just me, that's reassuring.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/com...see_gamefreak/

"I love these games and have beaten almost all of them. Pokemon is one of my favorite series. But for many years, I've had growing issues with the series. Unfortunately many people have simply insisted I just don't like Pokemon or that I'm just looking to hate the games.

In a way it does feel good to finally see people not settling for a substandard job. GameFreak has demonstrated they no longer consider themselves capable of delivering the Pokemon experience fans want, and I think it's either time for GameFreak to change or to no longer develop the games.

I personally think Nintendo should work with Creatures to buy their third of The Pokemon Company and develop future games in house. I wouldn't be opposed to them having a well trusted developer like Bandai Namco do it either. Unfortunately, I just don't have faith in GameFreak right now, and I think it's fair for me to feel that way."
Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #188
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Feel bad for GameFreak for doing such had work just to get shat on by fans. Luckily this game will sell huge so the chances of changing developer won't be happening.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #189
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
Feel bad for GameFreak for doing such had work just to get shat on by fans. Luckily this game will sell huge so the chances of changing developer won't be happening.
Yeah nothing is ever going to change, that's clear. It'd have to sell poorly and that won't happen. Kids will eat up anything you give them and they're the main focus of the Pokemon franchise.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #190
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

The fundamental problem with Pokémon currently is the strained relationship between Nintendo and Game Freak. The Pokémon Company is sort of the overarching name for Pokémon in general, shared by Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures (who do side games).

In short, Pokémon makes a ton of money, but Pokémon games make less than you’d think. From 2013-2015 The Pokemon Company pulled in about $16 million selling games like Black and White 2 and X and Y. In 2016, when Pokemon GO came out, they made $144 million, almost 26 years worth of profit. Video game sales have made up only 19% of Pokemon's absurd total gross since 1996. Everything else goes through TPC and gets split three ways (as best we know).

Nintendo stands to make money on Pokemon in four ways: merchandise, game sales, console sales, and additional game sales via new console owners (you'll probably pick up a Nintendo game if you buy Switch mostly for Pokemon).

Game Freak stands to make money on Pokemon in two ways: merchandise, and game sales.

Nintendo mostly want Pokemon to sell merch and sell consoles, which is why there's always been a new Pokemon game to launch alongside new handhelds. The quality of the games themselves don't really matter too much to them.

Game Freak makes the games, but they’re a much smaller studio than the size of Pokémon would suggest. Nintendo and TPC can’t force Game Freak to get bigger, and don’t have any technical say in what they develop, just control over whether or not it gets to be called Pokemon. Nintendo have huge sway over Game Freak due to their sheer size and sole ownership of the trademark. If no more Pokémon games or merch were made during a legal battle, Nintendo would be fine and Game Freak would not.

This means Game Freak has huge pressure to keep making the game fit the new systems. Can't really help sell the 3DS if your game is 2D. Being pushed off the 2D ledge into 3D was a huge mistake for Game Freak, since they now had to stop all game design and throw bodies at making 721 high resolution 3D models (and that's just the Pokemon). It's clear looking through X and Y that they were bumping up against the technology more than their own incompetence. Black and White 2 had huge sprawling routes, completely new environments, and cool, complicated dungeons. X and Y put Mewtwo in a hallway. The game was clearly rushed, and while you can't say definitively, stuff like Mega Evolution has been a huge hit for merchandising, and there's been guesses that it was "suggested" down from on high. Both BW and XY didn't have too many marketable Pokemon (which is why Greninja got trotted out so often) and you could see why Nintendo might push for a guaranteed hit (Mega Charizard alone has probably made TPC $10 million).

Not to mention that every ten years Game Freak is asked to remake the games they've already made. FireRed and LeafGreen were remakes in order to have a Kanto game compatible with Gen 3's hard lock on transferring Pokemon. While you can tell that Game Freak enjoyed remaking Gold and Silver based on just how much love is put into that game, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire show what happen when a game studio already feeling pushed to the brink is asked to skip their third version of poorly-received games to remake one they've already made. Zero Battle Frontier, removed all of Emerald's improvements, more megas, etc.

It’s not said aloud, but there’s been more and more tension between GF and Nintendo. With Pokémon Go’s popularity, Nintendo can see the profitable future without being beholden to GFs artistic decisions, which is also why they’re now launching tons of Pokémon apps (Masters, Quest, Sleep). GF feels like they’re being pushed out, and are hoping they can launch another franchise that Nintendo doesn’t have a stake in. Since BW2, they’ve developed four games without Nintendo, stretching their already short staff thin. They famously ask “what non-Pokémon game would you make that would sell well?” to new applicants.

They can't try to hold Pokemon hostage by not making games anymore since Nintendo can make tons of money without them, and they can't make Pokemon games unless it's by Nintendo's decree.

Have you seen the trailer for their new game "Town"? Which game does it look like they're more excited about making?

Most of this was explained to me by someone working at TPC international when I worked with them, most of it is stuff you can look up yourself. Understanding who owns what and who stands to profit from each type of decision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/com...m_source=share
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (06-14-2019), Mythical Victini (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #191
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

The backlash is much deserved. The games have been steadily going down hill for years now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/com...ng_mediocrity/
Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #192
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pok...ield-interview
Old 06-15-2019, 01:41 AM   #193
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
It's disappointing but this is what happens when a franchise gets too big. They can't delay these games or else the TCG, anime and general merchandise will be delayed too. Pokemon is more than a video game at this point and has been for a years. Nintendo wasn't about to give Gamefreak a pass on missing the holiday season.

I hope something changes one of these days but I doubt it. I've slowly become that "back in my day" guy when it comes to Pokemon. I had a blast with X & Y but after that, the disappointment began. Black and White felt like the last true Pokemon games to me.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #194
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

messed up how the giant Pokémon explode when they faint.

https://twitter.com/jtitaein/status/1139146662541025280
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #195
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Looks like it has the honour of being the most hated game of E3 (based on YouTube Dislikes) lol

Old 06-16-2019, 01:40 AM   #196
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

And rightfully so. Pokemon is a big deal to a lot of people. None of us want to sit here and watch Gamefreak steer it downhill. It's crazy because never in a million years did I imagine I'd feel this way towards Pokemon of all things. Something I grew up with and followed throughout every installment, now turned to something that I barely pay any attention to. I didn't even watch the E3 clips/footage. I scrolled through whatever Wario and Serebii tweeted on their profiles. It was enough to keep me 100% turned off from Sword and Shield.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:50 AM   #197
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Come to think of it, these problems began when they started forcing Pokemon to be a yearly release game. Black 2/White 2 were the last "good" Pokemon games. X/Y had so much potential but were very clearly cut short. It's obvious that we were supposed to get a Z version to expand upon Zygarde and everything else that was left unexplained in Kalos. TPCI/Nintendo probably forced GF to scrap Z and move directly into the rush job that was OR/AS. Instead we had to collect Zygarde cells in Alola for some reason.

Hoenn remakes should've been a hell of a lot more memorable but instead they fell flat. OR/AS should have been HGSS round 2, the next batch of fan favorite games, but nope. These were remakes of only Ruby & Sapphire and not Emerald. HGSS took elements from Crystal and that's what OR/AS should have done with Emerald. Why was there no Battle Frontier? Why did they tease it and then do nothing? More meddling by TPCI and Nintendo I assume? Gotta rush out the next new region for marketing, no time to improve upon what already is.

Sun & Moon were decent but not very memorable imo. My real problem with Gen 7 is Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Completely wasted and pointless games used to milk the upcoming holiday season. These had maybe 30 minutes of new content and it should have been DLC. It was what, 2017 when they released? Not 2005. DLC is a thing and that's what the USUM add-ons should have been. $5 bucks on the eShop and done, that would've made sense and been respectable. More corporate greed, seeing a trend here?

I had a great time with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, so I won't harp on these games. But everything within these games was given a pass with the expectation that Gen 8 would be better. We were all expecting a leap like BOTW/Odyssey and it didn't happen. It's because GF is being stretched to keep a yearly release going and they don't have time to make the games any better than mediocre. It's disappointing really because the first 5 Gens all had aspects that made them special and have replay value, I can't say the same for Gen 6 onward.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #198
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

The games look fun, I’m happy if they deliver on what I’ve already seen

Myself and my group of friends are all buying for the first time in years (besides Let’s Go). I haven’t bought a mainline Pokemon game sense Silver.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 AM   #199
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Another great write-up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/com...ional_dex_cut/
Old 06-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #200
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

- Cotton Down activates on non contact moves, unlike Gooey
- Dynamax mons only get an HP boost
- Max Guard blocks Max moves entirely, including their additional effects