Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (3 hours left)
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (4 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fantastic Beasts 2-Film Collection (iTunes)
$14.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$79.93

Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

300: Rise of an Empire (iTunes)
$4.99

Shazam/Aquaman 2-Film Bundle (iTunes)
$24.99

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (iTunes)
$4.99
22 hrs ago
The Dark Crystal (iTunes)
$4.99

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (iTunes)
$4.99

Justice League / Batman v Superman (iTunes)
$24.99

Tully (iTunes)
$4.99

Labyrinth (iTunes)
$4.99

Westworld: Season 1-2 (iTunes)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Default PS3 VUDU Player

Anyone use this? Download the app on PS3 and get $5 credit. Not sure if this is still valid.

First off, I blind buy a lot of movies. Now, I'm more into collecting UV digital copies, and I think it's great to save some money so I don't end up buying the BD just in case I didn't like the movie after blind buying it. The VUDU player works great on the PS3 so I can sit back and relax rather than holding a phone or tablet to watch a movie before deciding to buy it on BD.

I can always rent, but why not own it by redeeming codes and buy from the trading forum for a few bucks and play on your PS3 whenever!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Nov 2012
USA -> maryland
Send a message via Skype™ to RandomNinjaAtk

I use the app on the Xbox 360 and other devices. I prefer to buy the disc and either D2D or redeem though. I have faith that UV isn't going anywhere and is here to stay for the future. But I feel more protected if I have the disc because if everything falls apart, I can always make my own rips from the disc without restrictions. This is what I used to do, but UV has changed that....

Last edited by RandomNinjaAtk; 12-07-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

It's better than using mobile Vudu:
With the PS3's hard-drive, you can use the option to download the complete file first--I only have a casual connection, that's not much better than a good-looking SD for streaming, but if I patiently download the 4-6G file to two days, I can get my rentals in full near-Blu HDX resolution.
Which, I've noted, I can't do on Amazon or CinemaNow.

...Not to mention, where ELSE does Vudu expect us to play the 3-D titles?

Last edited by EricJ; 12-07-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Special Member

Sep 2012
Los Angeles

I watch it on my ps3 as well since the roku I have doesn't have that app. I like the option of downloading movies but the hdx fills up the hard drive pretty quickly. I'm mad that the $5 credit I got for linking the ps3 expired before I got a chance to use it.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Jan 2011

Just started using VUDU myself. Is there any benefit to downloading if you already have the highest connection speed possible for streaming? The connection test showed me at the maximum (I'm on ethernet with a gigabit switch and router). However, if downloading still offers any bump in PQ or audio quality, I'll take it. If there TRULY is no difference though, I'll just stream and save the HDD space.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

I downloaded an HDX copy to watch a movie, but after I decided to check out the streaming version and I couldn't tell a difference between the two.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #7

Jan 2013

Sounds just like me. I love the convenience and affordability. Now that the UV is getting more popular there are a lot of movies I have on dvd that I don't necessarily want to pay to upgrade to blu-ray and it's a good alternative. I'll buy a title now also and wait till it drops in price. I'm in Canada and an example is Dredd 3d was 29.99 and now $11.49 on blu. got the hdx for $2.50 so it works out like a rental. I get buffering if I'm doing wifi and hdx but I've watched a couple lately with the cable run to my ps3 and it streams fine. If buffing an issue you can drop it down to HD instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCruz View Post
Anyone use this? Download the app on PS3 and get $5 credit. Not sure if this is still valid.

First off, I blind buy a lot of movies. Now, I'm more into collecting UV digital copies, and I think it's great to save some money so I don't end up buying the BD just in case I didn't like the movie after blind buying it. The VUDU player works great on the PS3 so I can sit back and relax rather than holding a phone or tablet to watch a movie before deciding to buy it on BD.

I can always rent, but why not own it by redeeming codes and buy from the trading forum for a few bucks and play on your PS3 whenever!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

I have a slow connection and need something to download the HDX file to. I think only the WD Live Hub and Ps3 do it, just wondering which is better. I know at one point the PS3 app was RGb output only and this can be a problem for some displays.

Just wondering if anyone had any more input.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies