Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$29.99

LEGO Marvel Collection (PS4)
$19.99

Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$19.99

Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98
21 hrs ago
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94

Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)
$19.99

NBA 2K19 (PS4)
$14.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Anthem (PS4)
$14.99

Ni No Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom Collector's Edition (PS4)
$49.97

Warhammer: Chaosbane (PS4)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-
Default Neogaf: PS4 Cost Analysis

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514688

Quote:
APU (CPU/GPU) - 65-80
8GB GDDR5 - 80-105
OS Chip (supposedly ARM based) - 10-18
Video encode/decode chip - 0 (included in OS chip, we figure)
Blu-ray drive - 25-35
Hard drive - 30-35
I/O - 9-12
Wireless chip + antenna - 4
HDMI+HDCP - 11-15
Other - 10-30
DS4 - 20-29
Mono headset - 3
Cabling/misc - 3

Total parts/silicon - 272-364

Other costs:

Internal PSU - 27-40
Cooling - 33-50
Assembly - 15-20

Total estimated system cost (no shipping and packaging) - 390-430 (Does not include PS Camera since it is not bundled)

Accessories:

PS4 Eye -12-20

All figures in USD.

Please, please, please remember that this is based on the specification only and cost prices that we know, without a PS4 in the hand there will be mistakes.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Special Member

Jun 2009
Austria - Land of the Alps!

but Pachter says 275$

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pacht...prices/0116535

Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Given that they are not Sony and cannot know the level of volume discount they are getting, I'd say that if they are anywhere in the real ballpark, what it shows is that Sony is probably breaking even at worst, and posibly getting a small profit at best (also the cooling cost listed seems way high to me).

Crazy, and well done Sony.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Given that they are not Sony and cannot know the level of volume discount they are getting, I'd say that if they are anywhere in the real ballpark, what it shows is that Sony is probably breaking even at worst, and posibly getting a small profit at best (also the cooling cost listed seems way high to me).

Crazy, and well done Sony.
thread starter posted this later in the thread. so it's probably somewhat believable

Quote:
I'm actually an analyst, and I have quite a large team that works for me. Our clients are, well, interested to know how much the PS4 costs as it will be a very large part of Sony's potential business (and losses) over the next couple of years. Obviously I have anonymised the data so it doesn't get back to me, but I can assure you a lot of banks with investment divisions will be doing the same stuff right now.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
starter posted this later in the thread. so it's probably somewhat believable
if anything that makes it less believable. I have worked with many money managing firms.

1) why would anyone care about the manufacturing details of one product in one division that sells in the millions when Sony is a company that revenue and expenses in the billions/year

2) manufacturing costs and sales price is not fixed. I am sure the BD drive included in the PS3 today is costing them a fraction of what it did in 2006

3) stock prices are affected a lot more by speculation than anything else. That is why after E3 MS stock dropped and Sony's went up. So anyone that says we need to brake down the cost because my client needs to know if Sony will be making/losing money on each PS3 is not really in the financial sector.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
if anything that makes it less believable. I have worked with many money managing firms.

1) why would anyone care about the manufacturing details of one product in one division that sells in the millions when Sony is a company that revenue and expenses in the billions/year

2) manufacturing costs and sales price is not fixed. I am sure the BD drive included in the PS3 today is costing them a fraction of what it did in 2006

3) stock prices are affected a lot more by speculation than anything else. That is why after E3 MS stock dropped and Sony's went up. So anyone that says we need to brake down the cost because my client needs to know if Sony will be making/losing money on each PS3 is not really in the financial sector.
how about now?

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=137
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post

Because PS3 as a project lost Sony $5bn.

Quote:
And?

Quote:
Investors that take a long term view look at stuff like RoE and a high profile product launching after the PS3 that lost $5bn for the company and dented future profitability will be investigated like this by a lot of companies. It really is the most high profile Sony product launch in about 5 years and the stated division business model is to lose money up front. Investors want to know just how much they are losing.

Again, this stuff is not out of the ordinary, I can look in my own employer's database for historical product cost price information as estimated by our network of partners. I can see 7 PS3 entries (redone every year with the latest model) and two Vita entries. Tracking specific high profile products from companies allows investors to build up a picture of baseline profitability within them.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

So bottom line, either Sony is making or losing a little bit of money, and when all is factored in (consoel sold with 1 game, possibly 1 accessory like anotehr DS4), probably at worst breaks even?

Big departure from the PS3 days
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
not sure what you are asking. you said "thread starter posted this later in the thread. so it's probably somewhat believable". My point was that if someone did not believe the spec/costs to begin with that would not make it any more believable but to anyone that has ever worked with a money manager firm it would be even less credible. Max saying he thinks the cost is probably right does not change anything.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Because PS3 as a project lost Sony $5bn.
so? I am not sure of your point. I don't know where the 5B came from and so what it implies but if it is on console and includes R&D then we are talking ~ 10 years (there were a few years of R&D before the launch) that averages to 500M$ a year that is the cost of a couple of movies a year. the company made roughly 80B in revenue last year (fiscal 2012). We are talking chump change to the bottom line.

Quote:
And?
my point is that it is constantly changing will the guy be recalculating this in 6 months or in 12 months.... If not why would the money managing firm care now but not in 6months or 12 months....

Quote:

Investors that take a long term view look at stuff like RoE and a high profile product launching after the PS3 that lost $5bn for the company and dented future profitability will be investigated like this by a lot of companies. It really is the most high profile Sony product launch in about 5 years and the stated division business model is to lose money up front. Investors want to know just how much they are losing.

don't get me wrong, I did not say investment firms don't look at info, I am sure those companies looked at the E3 stuff and are reading what is happening between xbone and PS4, I am sure they pay attention to annual and quarterly reports as well as the PR. I am also not trying to downplay the PS4 either, it is a big division of Sony, but Sony has many big divisions. It is just that hiring some bozo to guess at the COB before the final specs are even known is doubtful. That some guy in charge of a team won't know better than posting his results on the internet and risk his job as well as being sued makes the rest even more doubtful.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4