Best DigiBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The BRD Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Do the Right Thing (Blu-ray)
$22.97

Police Story / Police Story 2 (Blu-ray)
$27.97

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (Blu-ray)
$57.49

Blue Velvet (Blu-ray)
$22.97

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$22.97

A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman (Blu-ray)
$49.99

3 Films by Roberto Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Koker Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$68.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > DigiBooks, DigiPacks and Neo Cases

Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Connecticut
Default Wither The DigiBook?

Has this, my favorite packaging format, become a thing of the past?

It seems there are fewer and fewer Digis being released these days. I have only added a few Target Disney exclusives to my collection in the last year or so, and it doesn't seem like many more titles are on the horizon.

Too expensive? Insufficient demand? Overall drop in BD sales? Discuss.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

Using the same inferior release for digi releases doesn't help aka unforgiven, even though i bought it anyway. the last non Disney book I bought was full metal jacket I believe. Was a while ago
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Warner is the main studio that's still releasing them at a steady rate, but I think there's been a comparable amount released in the US compared to recent years, if not more. Last year saw more Universal ones because of its 100th anniversary, so that output can't be expected every year.

2013 releases off the top of my head (please add any I'm missing):

The Big Parade
The Jazz Singer
Cabaret
Cleopatra
Man of Steel
Hansel and Gretel
The Little Mermaid
Peter Pan
Epic
Rebel without a Cause
Giant
East of Eden
Schindler's List
The Hobbit
The Right Stuff
Halloween

Last edited by MifuneFan; 10-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2011
Reading, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k View Post

It seems there are fewer and fewer Digis being released these days. I have only added a few Target Disney exclusives to my collection in the last year or so, and it doesn't seem like many more titles are on the horizon.

i love digibooks as well and yes they have slowed down quite a bit. in the uk barely anything gets released as a digibook and i blame that on zavvi and there mass producing of steelbooks. i personally think people just want steelbooks>digibooks these days.

seems to me most of the digibooks being released are of really old films that im not really interested in. hopefully next year they will release more of new films as 99% of the time, if there is a digibook release i always choose that
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Special Member

Nov 2012

I never liked digibooks. I would hate to order one then receive it with busted corners or other damages. A lot of the titles I have no interest in, actor's filmographies and info get out of date, and it's a stange hybrid to me - putting discs into books.

I do have a few, only because I wanted those specific titles, and it's nice to have variety in a collection. But have you noticed that almost all of the movies in digibook, end with the main character dying or have a down note?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

I love Digibooks but only buy movies that I want to own, not simply to collect them. I like the wide, flat spines, since most of the time that's what I'm looking at on the shelves. Once in a while I get a damaged one from Amazon and simply return it for another. I don't read the booklet but once usually, but it's a nice deluxe version to own. I don't see the appeal of steelbooks myself, but to each their own.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2013

I've never had any inkling to buy a digibook. It would just look so out of place on my shelf. There's no consistent size to them and the spines are literally book-like. As mentioned above, the hybrid of discs placed in book packaging just seems so odd to me. And not many of the titles are appealing to me anyway, especially if they can be had as a slipcover or steelbook.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

I think there's an interesting unmentioned dynamic in play here...

I think there are about as many NEW RELEASE digibooks as steelbooks, at least as far as I can tell... by which I mean, movies coming out for the first time as either a digibook or steelbook.

BUT...

We have been treated to several waves of Warner and Universal re-releases in steelbooks.

So...

Digibooks seem to be new release only, or at least for the majority... and yes, I know Halloween was just recently a digibook BUT it is a new transfer of the movie so it is not the same one. There are exceptions, like Terminator, Goodfellas, Unforgiven, and a few others that Warner released later as digis...

But... it seems that IF we get a re-release of a catalog movie that has already been released previously... it is more likely to be a steelbook than a digibook IF it comes in special packaging.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong... but it seems like new releases are coming at a comparable rate... but it's the re-issues that we are seeing a bunch of new steelbooks and not so much new digibooks coming out.

I bring this up because... most of us aren't picking up those re-release steelbooks unless they are really cheap... and I think they can probably produce those steelbooks cheaper than they can the digibooks for those "budget" re-release waves... which probably explains why they do it...

Instead of selling a $5 movie... they put a couple of dollars into a new steelbook package and sell for $10-$15 and many of us will buy again... but I don't think they can make the same profit margin on a re-release digibook.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2009
Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to fiveseven4combat

There still seems to be a steady release of Digibooks, there just isn't too many newer titles. WB is releasing a lot, which is good because they use the better packaging
Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

I'm hoping that Gravity will have an optional Digibook release since it's WB.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Special Member

Jan 2013
Surrey, UK

I favour digibooks over any other format.

Pity living in the UK means we get a bum deal
Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k View Post

I think it's a combination of cost to produce, and a very small crowd of enthusiasts.
I agree, as digibook is my preferred packaging and I hope to see more in the future...but again costs vs. small demand!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millibar View Post
I favour digibooks over any other format.

Pity living in the UK means we get a bum deal
Most if not all of the Warner digibooks are region free..you can import them.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Special Member

Jan 2013
Surrey, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyHitchFan View Post
Most if not all of the Warner digibooks are region free..you can import them.
Thanks
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > DigiBooks, DigiPacks and Neo Cases