Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Murder She Wrote (Blu-ray)
€63.94
18 hrs ago
Thor: The Dark World 4K (Blu-ray)
€29.46
7 hrs ago
The Lion King 4K (Blu-ray)
€33.99

Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
€24.40

Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
€29.99

Hunter Killer (Blu-ray)
€8.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
€27.80

Us (Blu-ray)
€25.97

Apocalypse Now (Blu-ray)
€10.19
22 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
€13.91

The Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
€13.59

The Musketeers Season 3 (Blu-ray)
€7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 04-02-2011, 05:16 AM   #1

Aug 2008
Germany David Cronenberg's SCANNERS

Yes this is very great news ! Another classic Cronenberg coming to Blu-ray 10th of June 2011. I hope they make something good out of it.

http://www.amazon.de/Scanners-1-Unge...1720985&sr=8-3
Old 04-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Excellent...though I wish they had not altered the color of the original artwork, it's classic by now.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Out There

Great news, looking forward to this one.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Wow, great news thanks!

The only Cronenberg film I actually enjoy.

Distributor has a page up http://www.kochmedia.de/haendler/sho...DBM010001D.jsf

Cool with the cover (although old is nearly always best and those worrying about that "16" censor label every cover I've had with that is double printed so far).

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail...y/hnum/2661345
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B004UOWWDA
Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Power Member

Dec 2010
Germany

Great news. I will buy this day 1.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #7

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post

Wow, great news thanks!

The only Cronenberg film I actually enjoy.
That's strange, cause his earlier films are very similiar in tone.
I've always thought if you like one Croneberg film, then you like them all
Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil
I've always thought if you like one Croneberg film, then you like them all
His films are literally unwatchable for me in the main. I think that's his intention. I seen the wonderful Black Swan tonight and that to me is a Cronenberg film he would love to make but never could.

The Dead Zone is excellent, Videodrome is OK, The Fly is a director for hire (could be anyone behind the lens) but everything else is inaccessible to me.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #9

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post

[I] The Fly is a director for hire (could be anyone behind the lens)
Completely disagree. This is very much Cronenberg all the way, in my opinion.
Thanks given by:
RedHarvest (03-09-2018)
Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #10

Jan 2011
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
Yes this is very great news ! Another classic Cronenberg coming to Blu-ray 10th of June 2011. I hope they make something good out of it.

http://www.amazon.de/Scanners-1-Unge...1720985&sr=8-3
Excellent news!!! The pre-order has been made! Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

There is one single review about this Blu Ray on amazon.de. From what I understand (my German is not perfect), the reviewer says that the picture is okay, nothing special. The sound is less than stellar, although I think that he/she was talking about the German track, the English original seems to be better. But I guess the biggest disappointment is that there are 0 extras, not even a trailer.

I should be getting my copy within a couple of days. I hope that it at least has English subtitles, although I very much doubt it. Still, I look forward to getting this overlooked classic on Blu.

Last edited by I KEEL YOU; 06-09-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #12

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
There is one single review about this Blu Ray on amazon.de. From what I understand (my German is not perfect), the reviewer says that the picture is okay, nothing special. The sound is less than stellar, although I think that he/she was talking about the German track, the English original seems to be better. But I guess the biggest disappointment is that there are 0 extras, not even a trailer.

I should be getting my copy within a couple of days. I hope that it at least has English subtitles, although I very much doubt it. Still, I look forward to getting this overlooked classic on Blu.
I will get this today. I didn't expect miracles on this release. I'm happy when the sound en video is an approvement over the dvd's.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

Well, I got my copy today:

Which is nice, considering I wasn't expecting it no sooner than tomorrow. My impressions:

Picture:

Not great but okay considering the age/status of the movie. I was realistic and wasn't expecting much to begin with. The picture is bright, seems like they should've toned down the brightness a tad. It also has a very distinctive yellowish/orange tint. Not sure whether it was intended to be like this, but it doesn't bother me that much. One thing about the picture that has surprised me positively is the lack of grain. It has grain, but it is nowhere near as prominent as I feared. I am not a grain hater, in fact I want the older movies to have grain, but just not an extreme amount. Also, the picture isn't that sharp compared to your average Blu, and for this reason I am sure that it will get plenty of hate. But these are just unrealistic people not willing to realize that this simply isn't a huge movie. Because of this, some might even call it an upscaled SD, but it is definitely not that. You can be sure that it definitely looks better than any DVD release, although you might prefer the color scheme on the DVD if it's different.

Sound:

It sounds good to me, but I am far from the right person to ask about sound since I don't have a great sound system. German is the default language, and this might bother some, but it doesn't bother me, since you just have to press one button on the remote to change it.

Extras:

Nothing. Nada. Not even subtitles. The movie is only split into only 12 chapters. The only thing that I can say that is even close to a compliment in this area is that it has a cool animated effect on the menu screen on the picture of Revok (the same as the cover), where it looks like he's on fire. Looks pretty cool.

Overall, I am sure that some who are less than realistic than me will hate on this release. But all I can say is that if you're a fan of the movie, you should be happy that it was released on Blu Ray at all, something I really didn't think would happen.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #14

Aug 2010

Do you know if it is Region B locked?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
England

Looking forward to watching this again, Love Cronenberg
Old 06-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth_670 View Post
Do you know if it is Region B locked?
On the back, it says region B only. But it is far from certain that it is actually region locked, since there are many Blu Rays that say that there are a certain region on the cover, but are in fact region free. I don't have one of those region free players so I can't confirm whether it's region locked/free. It's best to wait and see if someone else can confirm this for you.

Anyway, I wanted to talk a bit more about the picture. In the earlier post, I said that the picture is a little too bright, but now that I watched it more, I feel that it is way too bright. I am really disappointed that they have the picture THIS bright and with this much green and yellow tint. I'm not even talking about the overall picture being bad, I'm only complaining about them not adjusting something as simple as brightness and color balance, something that can be adjusted on video software that you can download for free.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #17

Aug 2008

And it does not have a reversible cover, so those who hate the big rating logo will be dissapointed.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #18

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
On the back, it says region B only. But it is far from certain that it is actually region locked, since there are many Blu Rays that say that there are a certain region on the cover, but are in fact region free. I don't have one of those region free players so I can't confirm whether it's region locked/free. It's best to wait and see if someone else can confirm this for you.

Anyway, I wanted to talk a bit more about the picture. In the earlier post, I said that the picture is a little too bright, but now that I watched it more, I feel that it is way too bright. I am really disappointed that they have the picture THIS bright and with this much green and yellow tint. I'm not even talking about the overall picture being bad, I'm only complaining about them not adjusting something as simple as brightness and color balance, something that can be adjusted on video software that you can download for free.
What dvd version do you have ? Because all dvd's have this green/yellow tint except the MGM US DVD, wich looks more natural. So it seems they didn't use this for master.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
What dvd version do you have ? Because all dvd's have this green/yellow tint except the MGM US DVD, wich looks more natural. So it seems they didn't use this for master.
I don't own Scanners on DVD, but I don't remember it being this tinted.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #20

Aug 2008

I've compared the first 7 minutes to the Anchor Bay UK DVD and the result of this Blu-ray is very dissapointing ! It's a little more bright, the colors are same, not improved. Detail is very similiar maybe a tad better, but I didn't notice much difference. And the same framing.
small bars at top and bottom, BUT also small bars on the sides ! Same as with the dvd.
I noticed the same dirt and specs as on the DVD. So this is just a very poor release in my opinion ! Maybe I can be more positive once I've seen the whole film, but it doesn't look promising. This definately does not look like HD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany