Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Judgment (PS4)
$39.99

Kill la Kill - IF (PS4)
$49.94

Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99

Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98

Steins;Gate Elite Limited Edition (PS4)
$64.72
2 hrs ago
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94

LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$19.99

Fallout 76 (PS4)
$17.00

Divinity: Original Sin II (PS4)
$19.99

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$49.94

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #101
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
The truth hurts

I'm a Playstation fan no doubt, but I don't blindly support everything Sony does, and I'll call out their shortcomings when I see them. They're great when it comes to games, and creating solid hardware, but when it comes to "social" stuff, they're out of their territory.

I fear all of this social integration will just be an annoyance to the GUI and "expereince" more than anything. Hopefully it can all be disabled, and I can have a clean interface.
I'm not all that into the social aspect but my greatest fear is they'll screw up the UI. MS has so much more experience in the department. With the PS3, I thought the UI was great at first but as I wanted to do more and more with it, it became a pain to use so hopefully they've hired some good OS/UI programmers for the PS4. Basically, the PS3's UI was great at first but severely lacking later on. I hope they rectify that and especially so on the media interface aspect. They're still the only one I've pre-order so far so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but if things are cumbersome and especially slow like they are now, well, all bets are off.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #102
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

I think we already have a slight preview of sorts of what the interface may feel like with the revamped Playstation Store. Namely the way it stretches across multiple areas by moving the analog stick over different panels. It looks nicer, but it's much slower, and not very practical to navigate either.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #103
Banned

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Sony gives you the option to use your real name or your user name.
Hence why I was hoping they would also introduce a nickname option as I don't want to lie about my real name in my billing info etc, but no one uses my real name so I would prefer to use what people actually call me.

As for the above post, the current ps3 store UI is dreadful. The old UI didn't look as nice but was so much quicker and nicer to use which is far more important.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #104
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
I want an off button; this 'low power state' means the system will always be on, and always warm or hot - needs time to cool down.

Xbox Live is superior not due to its interface, but its: security, its ability to chat, dedicated servers to most AAA games, and most importanly to me: its timely handling of updates. They'll load a game at 4 am and ready to download; PSN 4p or later
Do you turn off your cable or other set-top-boxes?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...rk_.php?page=3
Quote:
There's also another custom chip to put the system in a low-power mode for background downloads. "To make it a more green hardware, which is very important for us, we have the ability to turn off the main power in the system and just have power to that secondary custom chip, system memory, and I/O -- hard drive, Ethernet. So that allows background downloads to happen in a very low power scenario. We also have the ability to shut off everything except power to the RAMs, which is how we leave your game session suspended."
I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 was more power efficient in its most active suspend state than most recording PVR's.

Some of your comparisons you're conveniently ignoring that they've already been addressed on PS Vita and demonstrated on PS4.

XBL's security was let down by social-engineering tricks rather than brute-force hacking (and apparently EA but I don't think that situation was ever made clear) there's no more reason to believe PSN will be hacked like before than XBL accounts will be stolen.

Dedicated servers on most AAA games... what? When did this happen?

PSN store updates, only SCEA struggles with that. They do have something to prove.

Quote:
You're confusing social media supply with social media demand. I'm not saying Sony hasn't made efforts to engage themselves in social networking, I'm saying the bulk of their gamers couldn't care less about that.
And you're basing this on...? I think you don't like it so much you don't want others to have it.

Quote:
They're essentially targeting a smaller percentage of gamers who want facebook notifications, twitter this, foursquare that, yet are making it a prime focus in their videos for the system. Thankfully they can and will be disabled on mine.
You've made this up, it's pretty clear you're so angry about the social media stuff you're emphasising stuff Sony isn't.

Quote:
I also admitted that this social integration is inevitable. Nintendo clearly demonstrated how much the casual demographic matters, so Sony will obviously have to pander to what that group likes. Most core gamers on the other hand can take it or leave it.
Nonsense, core gamers communicate through social media just like casual gamers.

Quote:
And about your logic about not applying features to an "8+ year old OS" and essentially saving it for the next gen. First of all, who said they couldn't have done some of this 5 years ago? And by your logic, Sony should have saved the following for the PS4:

Trophies
In-Game XMB (people forget the PS3 didn't have this for years)
Completely revamped Playstation store
Playstation Home
Facebook notifications
etc..

In other words, it's flawed logic. They can clearly add to, and improve the system in both functional and social ways throughout its life cycle. Chalking it up to them being a naive inexperience development team is just an insult to Sony more than anything.
Who did say they couldn't have done more? Not me.

They kept adding features, I suspect the ones they were most comfortable designing and implementing within the existing OS framework, memory and CPU constraints. And with minimal conflict with the hundreds of games already released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Have they said anything about the internet browser? Have they even confirmed that this will have one? It would be cool to be able to go on the internet in the middle of a game, as opposed to exiting back to the XMB to do that on the PS3.

Would also be cool if they partnered up with Google and utilized Chrome as the official browser this time.
It has a web browser and it's accessible with a game suspended, just like PS Vita.

Quote:
・Immediate Gameplay

PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130221a_e.html

The switch to X86 means there's a wealth of compatible code and people capable of keeping it up to date.

Last edited by Shin-Ra; 06-23-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #105
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas. Muggy & Hot 24/7/365

My only concern with the heat stems from concern with the Ps3 - it runs hot - Games that I play, Gears of War3, judgment play on dedicated servers; I thought Halo 4 did too, but I'd have to check it now

When my Ps3 is in standy mode, it feels warm. My cable box when in off mode, doesn't feel hot. This aint scientific, but I like what I like: an off button

PSN, in my opinion needs work, but from what I am seeing, looks like Sony is address some of those issues
Old 06-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #106
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas. Muggy & Hot 24/7/365

Wait, what happened to that other post before this one, LOL?!?!?!

Sony is clearly putting a lot of thought into the social side of things, which is great, if people start actually using chat, camera, etc....

I could care less about social aspects - a distraction to me from the main point: playing cool games
Old 06-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #107
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
My only concern with the heat stems from concern with the Ps3 - it runs hot - Games that I play, Gears of War3, judgment play on dedicated servers; I thought Halo 4 did too, but I'd have to check it now

When my Ps3 is in standy mode, it feels warm. My cable box when in off mode, doesn't feel hot. This aint scientific, but I like what I like: an off button

PSN, in my opinion needs work, but from what I am seeing, looks like Sony is address some of those issues
Halo 4's P2P just like the others as far as I'm aware. Games like Gears3/J and ResistanceFoM/Warhawk are the extreme exceptions. Even then I think Warhawk and Gears3 have a mixture of dedicated and player-hosted matches.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #108
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin-Ra View Post
Halo 4's P2P just like the others as far as I'm aware. Games like Gears3/J and ResistanceFoM/Warhawk are the extreme exceptions. Even then I think Warhawk and Gears3 have a mixture of dedicated and player-hosted matches.
Gears of war 3 dedicated servers are not even for every game mode and even then its only dedicated like 25% of the time and if you have all the DLC.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4