Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Tarantino 6-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Captain Marvel (iTunes)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Fast & Furious: The Ultimate Ride Collection (iTunes)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
Stanley Kubrick 7 Film Collection (iTunes)
$34.99
14 hrs ago
Pet Sematary (iTunes)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 5 - 8 Collection (iTunes)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Inglourious Basterds (iTunes)
$6.99
14 hrs ago
High Life (iTunes)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Overlord (iTunes)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (iTunes)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
The Counselor (iTunes)
$4.99
14 hrs ago
The Predator (iTunes)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008
Default Will HBO shows redeemed in Flixster show up in VUDU?

So I'm getting conflicting reports on this. I had one person emphatically tell me that they will NOT show up in VUDU if you redeem in Flixster, and I had someone else tell me that while they weren't 100%, they were sure they would, and that there was a discussion on here about that very topic.

I couldn't find the discussion, so I figured I would make this thread and we can discuss it in here. I just tried to redeem Boardwalk Empire Season 2 in Flixster and (after getting an error that invalidated the code) it showed up on UVVU, but hasn't shown up on Flixster.

In UVVU it has a Flixster logo but NOT a VUDU logo, while other shows I have have the VUDU logo.

Ironically enough, UVVU does not display my Boardwalk Empire Season 1, just Season 2. Go figure.

So what is the deal with HBO shows not porting over to VUDU? I thought most if not all movies/shows redeemed via Flixster would do so.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo The Perverted View Post
So I'm getting conflicting reports on this. I had one person emphatically tell me that they will NOT show up in VUDU if you redeem in Flixster, and I had someone else tell me that while they weren't 100%, they were sure they would, and that there was a discussion on here about that very topic.

I couldn't find the discussion, so I figured I would make this thread and we can discuss it in here. I just tried to redeem Boardwalk Empire Season 2 in Flixster and (after getting an error that invalidated the code) it showed up on UVVU, but hasn't shown up on Flixster.
They will assuming that the titles in question are 1) UV compliant and 2) Vudu has the title listed with the UV logo.

Here's a recent example, with Game of Thrones Season 2 you can redeem your digital copy through Flixster, which has it listed as UV complaint, thus it shows up on your UVVU.com list. However, Vudu currently doesn't have this title listed with the UV logo thus even though this title is in your UV list it won't show up on Vudu. When and if Vudu adds the UV logo to this title then yes the title will then show up on Vudu.

Now the work around for this specific title is that HBO allows you to redeem another copy of the digital rights on Vudu as well which grants you Vudu rights. But these are two different and distinct things.

Quote:
In UVVU it has a Flixster logo but NOT a VUDU logo, while other shows I have have the VUDU logo
The logo that shows up on UVVU is the logo of the service which was used to redeem the digital copy and not where it's available to stream. So if you redeem the title through Flixster the Flixster logo will show or if you redeem the UV title through Vudu then the Vudu logo will be displayed.

Quote:
Ironically enough, UVVU does not display my Boardwalk Empire Season 1, just Season 2. Go figure.

So what is the deal with HBO shows not porting over to VUDU? I thought most if not all movies/shows redeemed via Flixster would do so.
Vudu currently doesn't have UV rights for Boardwalk Empire Season 1 or 2. If Vudu doesn't display the UV logo on those titles then they won't be able for streaming from Vudu even if they're on your UV list.

Last edited by rdodolak; 03-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post

Vudu currently doesn't have UV rights for Boardwalk Empire Season 1 or 2. If Vudu doesn't display the UV logo on those titles then they won't be able for streaming from Vudu even if they're on your UV list.
Really? Because I have Season 1 in my VUDU and I've streamed it via my PS3 App. It was redeemed via the VUDU portion though, not the Flixster.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

It varies from HBO title to title. They have apparently sold off their digital streaming rights on a piecemeal basis to different providers.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Really? Because I have Season 1 in my VUDU and I've streamed it via my PS3 App. It was redeemed via the VUDU portion though, not the Flixster.
Yep, no UV logo next to HBO.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!overvie...mpire-Season-1

Sounds like the reason why you have the Vudu copy is because you redeemed directly through Vudu and thus the reason why it doesn't show up on UVVU.com. Similar for me on GoT:S2.

Now it's been previoulsy stated in the past when Vudu does get UV rights to a movie/title that Vudu automatically added those titles to a person's UVVU.com list (not so much with CinemaNow).

However, you should be able to redeem through both Flixster and Vudu. Atleast I was able to on GoT:S2. Some have mentioned they were able to redeem through Flixster, Vudu, and iTunes with the same code.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

Jan 2013
-

Games Of Thrones Season 2 redeemed in flixster , does NOT show in my VUDU account.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinShadow View Post
Games Of Thrones Season 2 redeemed in flixster , does NOT show in my VUDU account.
It doesn't show in Vudu because Vudu doesn't have UV rights. However, as I previously mentioned go back to

http://www.hboselect.com/ecopy/selec...3-3D3C3AD5DDEF

You can also select an additional digital copy in additional to your UV copy through Flixster. The additional copies are either through iTunes, Amazon, or Vudu.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
It appears you can also select both a UV copy through Flixster and an iTunes or Vudu copy for Boardwalk Empire.

http://www.hboselect.com/ecopy/selec...7-ADE49B64ECDA
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
It appears you can also select both a UV copy through Flixster and an iTunes or Vudu copy for Boardwalk Empire.

http://www.hboselect.com/ecopy/selec...7-ADE49B64ECDA
You can actually do all three - Flixster, Vudu, and iTunes - if you skip the HBO Select site and entire the code directly for each of them (via the Flixster and Vudu sites and through iTunes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinShadow View Post
rdodolak already explained it pretty well in the second post in this thread. But since there appears to still be some confusion, here's a quick description of how it breaks down for HBO shows:

Redeem through Flixster: You get a UV copy, but Vudu doesn't recognize UV copies of HBO shows, so you won't see it showing up in your Vudu account (if your accounts are linked through UV). As of right now, Flixster will really be the only place you can watch/download the UV copy.

Redeem through Vudu: You get a Vudu copy, but since Vudu doesn't recognize UV copies of HBO shows, you do not get a UV copy. This copy will only be viewable/downloadable through Vudu.

Redeem through Flixster and Vudu: You get a UV copy and a Vudu copy, so all of your bases are covered.

You can also still redeem the code directly through iTunes as well if you want an iTunes copy.

So basically, skip the HBO Select site and put your code in directly through each service. That way, you'll have an accessible copy in each location (except for Amazon - you have to go through the HBO Select site for that, and you may lose the ability to get iTunes and/or Vudu copies with the same code). Some of this could always change, particularly if Vudu starts recognizing HBO titles as UV, but for the time being, that's how things redeem.

Last edited by bsweetness; 03-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #10

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
You can actually do all three - Flixster, Vudu, and iTunes - if you skip the HBO Select site and entire the code directly for each of them (via the Flixster and Vudu sites and through iTunes).

rdodolak already explained it pretty well in the second post in this thread. But since there appears to still be some confusion, here's a quick description of how it breaks down for HBO shows:

Redeem through Flixster: You get a UV copy, but Vudu doesn't recognize UV copies of HBO shows, so you won't see it showing up in your Vudu account (if your accounts are linked through UV). As of right now, Flixster will really be the only place you can watch/download the UV copy.

Redeem through Vudu: You get a Vudu copy, but since Vudu doesn't recognize UV copies of HBO shows, you do not get a UV copy. This copy will only be viewable/downloadable through Vudu.

Redeem through Flixster and Vudu: You get a UV copy and a Vudu copy, so all of your bases are covered.

You can also still redeem the code directly through iTunes as well if you want an iTunes copy.

So basically, skip the HBO Select site and put your code in directly through each service. That way, you'll have an accessible copy in each location (except for Amazon - you have to go through the HBO Select site for that, and you may lose the ability to get iTunes and/or Vudu copies with the same code). Some of this could always change, particularly if Vudu starts recognizing HBO titles as UV, but for the time being, that's how things redeem.
I only redeemed on flixster and it wouldn't let me do it on vudu
Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymonk View Post
I only redeemed on flixster and it wouldn't let me do it on vudu
Is it a code from a Blu-ray set that you purchased yourself, or did you buy the code online? If you bought the code online, it's possible that someone redeemed the Vudu portion already. If the code came from a set that you purchased yourself, you should contact HBO. Even the HBO Select site clearly states that you can redeem the code through both Flixster and Vudu.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
Power Member

Oct 2008

I redeemed by Game Of Thrones Seasons 1 & 2 through VUDU first and didnt have any issues, I then went to iTunes to redeem both of them and they said the codes were valid. I emailed Apple and they were useless, I have sent in a web support to HBO and havent heard back yet. Does anybody have any ideas I should add I didnt go through the HBO site to redeem my copies through VUDU, I went to VUDU directly, and then iTunes directly
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
The Endurance #YCC

I redeemed the Flixster portion of my Game of Thrones Season 2 and it ONLY shows on Flixster and not Vudu. I had traded the Vudu portion to someone else and made sure they'd redeemed it before I proceeded to use the Flixster portion. The iTunes part of the same code was also traded and worked perfectly for that person.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmutt View Post
I'm interested to explore this further. If I have a GoT S1 or S2 code that has been used directly on iTunes, Flixster, and Vudu, is it possible that it will still work on Amazon through the HBO redemption site?
I haven't seen a confirmation where someone has tried it, so I guess we'll know when someone gives it a shot. If it's already been redeemed directly through the other services, it certainly won't hurt anything to try.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
I haven't seen a confirmation where someone has tried it, so I guess we'll know when someone gives it a shot. If it's already been redeemed directly through the other services, it certainly won't hurt anything to try.
I can't be sure, but I had a code that supposedly was only redeemed on the 3 big ones, and the HBO site would not also redeem it for Amazon. I'm not sure this is definitive proof, but it's a data point at least.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #16

Dec 2010
NYC
Send a message via Yahoo to theguru14

I read every post so far and I think understand but I am going to list what I have.

Boardwalk Empire Season 2
I redeemed it through Flixster.
It is not playable on Flixster.
It is listed in my UV account with the Flixster logo.
It is listed in my VUDU with no UV logo and I get this message when I try to watch an episode on IE, but works fine on Firefox-->There was a problem authenticating your account for movie playback. [#3343]

Game of Thrones Season 1&2
I redeemed it through VUDU.
It is not listed in my UV account.
It is listed in my VUDU and with no UV logo.

NON HBO SHOW ISSUES

Fringe Season 4
I redeemed it through Flixster.
It is not playable on Flixster.
It is listed in my VUDU and has a UV logo and I get this message when I try to watch an episode on IE, but works fine on Firefox-->There was a problem authenticating your account for movie playback. [#3343]

Big Bang Theory Season 1,2 & 5
I redeemed them through Flixster.
They are all playable on Flixster and VUDU.
The weird thing is Season 1 is listed as playable and not playable on Flixster.
It is listed in my VUDU and with no UV logo.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #17

Jan 2013
Virginia
Default Game of Thrones S1 and S2

Before I start redemption on codes for these seasons I wanted to verify if it matters which order you redeem in? I want to redeem on Vudu, Flixster and iTunes but I mostly want Vudu so I was going to redeem there first in case there is a glitch and I can't redeem all 3 options.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Just make sure you redeem in each respective area and don't use the HBO select. You shouldn't have an issue
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #19

Sep 2007

I always do vudu then iTunes. I ignore flixster whenever possible. In theory if you redeem as uv in vudu it should carry over to Flixster but that seems to be the pipe dream that is UV.

I have never had an issue with Vudu then iTunes. If you do iTunes first there is a much larger chance of it not working apparently.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

I had gotten the Game of Thrones season 1 code from someone who had already redeemed the iTunes version directly through iTunes. I did the UV Flixster but then I wanted to do the Vudu. It worked on all three and it was done in that order.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies