Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Judgment (PS4)
$51.94
9 hrs ago
Kill la Kill - IF (PS4)
$49.94
12 hrs ago
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$29.99

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94

LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$19.99

Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99

LEGO Marvel Collection (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Ni No Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom Collector's Edition (PS4)
$49.97

Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98

NBA 2K19 (PS4)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
They're just special effects added in to make people think it was sunny. Sony did it to show off the power of the PS4
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
There's not a single part inside the PS4 that comes close to being anywhere near as expensive as the BD drive and CELL were in launch PS3s.

There's nothing to suggest that the PS4 will warrent a price of 400 let alone 400+ so I'm very confident that it'll launce around 350.

If anyone was following the tech thread back in Feb would have seen the price breakdown for the parts and it was already about half the cost to build than the PS3 was. And that was before whatever markdown Sony will be given for their bulk orders.
Yes but aren't they packing the new Eye camera in with every system? That will certainly add to the expense. Also the controller is probably expensive considering the upgrades that have been made to the rumble and the glide pad.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Sorry if this has already been shown. This is the site I found when I decided to look up info on the PS4.

http://www.ps4playstation4.com/plays...ricing-details
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Yes but aren't they packing the new Eye camera in with every system? That will certainly add to the expense. Also the controller is probably expensive considering the upgrades that have been made to the rumble and the glide pad.
Bear in mind that the current Eye retails for $30 and is sold at a notable profit, so we're nowhere near the $100+ range for Blu-ray drive or Cell processor that the PS3 has.

The controller does have some nice extra features that will probably be a bit more expensive, but again seeing how the Dual Shock 3 is sold at ~$50 at a profit, we're still not in the same region of expensive.

I expect the PS4 to launch at somewhere around $400, and even at that price I doubt it would be losing much money at all. The parts are much more standard and inexpensive compared to the PS3 aside from 8GB of GDDR5 memory. Even the memory isn't going to break the bank "that" badly. Under $100 for sure.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

I can see PS3 launching at two Skus: one at $400 and a premium one at around $500.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

The way the PS4 was shown off strongly suggests you have to have the new camera and controller so I don't see where there could be a budget and premium version of the console; it has to have;

console
pad
camera
headset

What could a premium version offer other than a larger capacity drive which can probably be replaced by the owner anyway.

People have far more to spend their money on these days, consoles aren't the be all and end all of home entertainment and they will have to be priced in accordance with what consumers are willing to pay, not what Sony & MS think they are worth.

399 will buy you the entry level iPad which actually does more than a console ever will, it's portable too. The games and graphics are a moot point; the stats speak for themeselves, millions of people buy portable games and there are more and more "proper" games available for mobile devices.

Seriously, do you not think there will come a time when a AAA game gets a release on home consoles and tablets at the same time with little difference in the gaming experience? It's going to happen. Sony and MS know this (in fact they have an interest in it happening as they both have tablets on their product lists) so the launch price of these consoles could make or break the home console market.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

The safest bet would be 1 SKU with a 1TB HDD, PS4, EYE, DS4 and Wired Headset.

Japan has already been touting the 40,000 Yen price point from respectable sources. Thats about $417.

I don't see the PS4 costing more than $399.99 at launch and even then Sony will only be making a tiny loss with each console sold. If we go by the figures in the link posted above it costs about $500 retail for similair parts to those inside PS4.

Nw factor in the huge mass production discounts Sony will get on ever part, could be anywhere from 20-50% reduction in cost for Sony buying the parts in bulk.

Even at 20% of $500 would mean a $400 build cost for Sony.
This console will be cheap to build and will offer much better pricing options to Sony from the get go. I think a lot of people will be pleasently surprised when the price is announced
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
The way the PS4 was shown off strongly suggests you have to have the new camera and controller so I don't see where there could be a budget and premium version of the console; it has to have;

console
pad
camera
headset

What could a premium version offer other than a larger capacity drive which can probably be replaced by the owner anyway.

People have far more to spend their money on these days, consoles aren't the be all and end all of home entertainment and they will have to be priced in accordance with what consumers are willing to pay, not what Sony & MS think they are worth.

399 will buy you the entry level iPad which actually does more than a console ever will, it's portable too. The games and graphics are a moot point; the stats speak for themeselves, millions of people buy portable games and there are more and more "proper" games available for mobile devices.

Seriously, do you not think there will come a time when a AAA game gets a release on home consoles and tablets at the same time with little difference in the gaming experience? It's going to happen. Sony and MS know this (in fact they have an interest in it happening as they both have tablets on their product lists) so the launch price of these consoles could make or break the home console market
I disagree with you wholeheartedly about the notion that mobile phone and tablet gaming are a threat to home console gaming. They are two COMPLETELY different experiences for completely different markets! Nobody purchases 50" plasmas and LED TV's just to play Angry Birds and Temple Run. Likewise, nobody plays Halo on a tablet. There are certain games that lend itself well to tablets and there are games that are better on console. Mobile phone and Tablet gaming is more of a threat to the hand held gaming markets such as Nintendo 3DS and Vita.

You say look at the stats. Well here is a stat for you. This current generation saw sales of over 250 MILLION home consoles and still counting! Everyone saw the slowing down of console sales over the last couple of years as a sign of the tablet market taking it over. That's BS! In fact, "tablet panic" is exactly why I think Nintendo developed that cooky Wii U game pad and as a result, it's neither a great tablet OR gamepad! People forget that this console generation has ran well over the typical 5 year cycle and as a result, the market is saturated with current gen consoles. Pretty much everyone that wanted a console HAS one. The market has reached critical mass and now everyone is anticipating next generation. Once the PS4 and next Xbox are launched, the market will be booming again, just wait and see!

Last edited by Steelmaker; 04-23-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
The safest bet would be 1 SKU with a 1TB HDD, PS4, EYE, DS4 and Wired Headset.

Japan has already been touting the 40,000 Yen price point from respectable sources. Thats about $417.

I don't see the PS4 costing more than $399.99 at launch and even then Sony will only be making a tiny loss with each console sold. If we go by the figures in the link posted above it costs about $500 retail for similair parts to those inside PS4.

Nw factor in the huge mass production discounts Sony will get on ever part, could be anywhere from 20-50% reduction in cost for Sony buying the parts in bulk.

Even at 20% of $500 would mean a $400 build cost for Sony.
This console will be cheap to build and will offer much better pricing options to Sony from the get go. I think a lot of people will be pleasently surprised when the price is announced
I could see two sku's, one at 399.99 and one at 499.99.

399.99 sku

Console with 500 GB hard drive
1 DS4
Eye Camera
Wired Headset
1 HDMI Cable
1 Power adapter

499.99 sku

Console with 1 TB hard drive
1 DS4
Eye Camera
Wired Headset (or perhaps a Blue Tooth Headset)
1 Year PS Plus Subscription
1 HDMI Cable
1 Power Adapter
Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Quote:
Breakdowns of the PS4 aside, that PS4 is going to last longer than that iPad probably - just considering iOS upgrades and non-removable batteries.

I have a Kindle Fire HD and use it intermitently - the bigest thing I use it for is comixology. I use my PS3 and Vita much more. I watch netflix and movies and play games regularly on my PS3.

I get where you are going, but I wouldn't count consoles out just yet. If anything it seems like the initial novelty of tablets are wearing off - not to say that they aren't still useful and will continue to find a place in the home but the initial frenzy seems to have died down (in my opinion).

Quote:
Seriously, do you not think there will come a time when a AAA game gets a release on home consoles and tablets at the same time with little difference in the gaming experience? It's going to happen. Sony and MS know this (in fact they have an interest in it happening as they both have tablets on their product lists) so the launch price of these consoles could make or break the home console market.
Yeah, personally I doubt it will be any time soon. I think there are some substantial heat and battery gaps to cross before you see little difference between a top of the line console and a top of the line tablet - let alone how they will fit the bluray drive in the tablet.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

I know someone that has an ipad. I've used it some and absolutely hate it. I'll never even consider buying any kind of tablet.

Yesterday, after reading about and watching videos of the PS4 half the day, I had a funny dream that I was at Best Buy and they had them in stock early. The problem was I couldn't find any decent game for it. All they had available were little kids games, lol. No Drive Club, which is the one I'm planning to pick up when it launches.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 04-23-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #32
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

who knows, but do we know there will be a premium and if there is why would there need to be something else? look at the differences now (or at any other time) between the PS3's it is limited to HDD size, colour and games, and possibly controllers. Why would there need to be anything else between the different PS4 SKUs?

Quote:
399 will buy you the entry level iPad which actually does more than a console ever will, it's portable too.
that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, Last saturday was my nieces Birthday and my sister had a party for her, at one point the boys where taking turns playing motorstorm 4 at a time on the PS3, the girls playing Just dance 4 on the 360, can you tell me how you can have something similar on youur ipad.

Quote:
Seriously, do you not think there will come a time when a AAA game gets a release on home consoles and tablets at the same time with little difference in the gaming experience? It's going to happen.
Probably never but even if AAA title did come out on both at the same time it is immaterial, a tablet is seriously limited to single person use with a crappy interface for games, a console has the ability for multi user. Unless someone has no friends sooner or later he might want to play with them and then what?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

Woah there! I'm not console bashing!! But what I see is people buying tablets and doing more with them than they can on a console. Bluetooth game pads are now available and Sony are even making the DS3 compatible with some Android phones and tablets. In fact it's already possible to hook up a DS3 to some tablets and use that to play games.

My real point was that there is far more competition for that 400/$500 than there was when the 360 and PS3 arrived. That's why I think the pricing this time round will be more aggressive.

I'm well and truly in the camp that says consoles are the best way to play games, but you can't argue that millions are being spent on portable games; is the Vita really putting a dent into iOs or Android gaming? No way, it absolutely has not hit the sales Sony expected. And actually there are plenty of "proper" games on these platforms now, which is why the Ouya console was made and why some analysts expect Apple to launch a dedicated gaming peripheral for the home tv.

@Anthony P; There are plenty of decent racing games on mobile platforms, including EA's Need for Speed, etc. Combat games, FPS games, they are all there. Fifa is as complete on iDevices as it is on consoles. I'm not saying they are better, but game companies are moving into that space and I bet the next Fifa game is released on iOs around the same time it arrives on PS3/360.

I'll almost certainly be picking up a PS4, but what I'm saying is that consumers have more choice on what to spend that kind of money on and that will impact the price and sales numbers of the next gen gaming machines.

Sony would be mad to release PS4 anywhere near the launch price of the PS3; this time round they have all of the above to worry about as well as a near identical launch window for the next Xbox.

But it's a good thing; it should mean a low price from day one.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
My real point was that there is far more competition for that 400/$500 than there was when the 360 and PS3 arrived. That's why I think the pricing this time round will be more aggressive.
don't know about pricing but there is always competition for $, personally since I have a PC that can do way more than a tablet, I would rather spend my $ on replacing my console than replacing my tablet.

Quote:
I'm well and truly in the camp that says consoles are the best way to play games, but you can't argue that millions are being spent on portable games; is the Vita really putting a dent into iOs or Android gaming? No way, it absolutely has not hit the sales Sony expected.
don't know how well they both sell, but can you show us the $ figures for games bought on tablets and portable gaming devices? The reason I ask is that it takes a dozen 5$ games to make up for one 60$ game
Quote:
And actually there are plenty of "proper" games on these platforms now, which is why the Ouya console was made and why some analysts expect Apple to launch a dedicated gaming peripheral for the home tv.
so your explanation for consoles becoming extinct at the expense of tablets is that the tablet makers might be making their own consoles? I don't care what OS is on the box. The point was that the tablet experience is different then the console experience, it is mobile, like you said, but it is not comunal. I never said I cared who's console we are talking about

Quote:
@Anthony P; There are plenty of decent racing games on mobile platforms, including EA's Need for Speed, ...
yes I know and I have Need for speed undercover on my tablet (well the free version), it is annoying since it works with tilting the tablet (like a steering wheel) and the whole world tilts with it (obviously), you can't play more than one person in the room and you can't see it on the TV. So how does it compare favourably to what I described before (having 4 people entertained at the time racing while others have fun watching and waiting their turn)?
Quote:
Sony would be mad to release PS4 anywhere near the launch price of the PS3; this time round they have all of the above to worry about as well as a near identical launch window for the next Xbox.
will it be the same, probably not the PS4 won't be using expensive "futuristic" parts like the PS3 did. The PS3 was beast with cutting edge (BD drive, cell processor) when it came out with extremely expensive parts. The PS4 will be a powerful machine but none of its parts are as cutting edge and expensive today as the parts the PS3 had when it came out.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #35

Jul 2007

I have an Ipad and I don't like playing games on it, I always play my PS3 over Ipad games. Better games, better controls, multiplayer, and bigger screens.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

"consoles becoming extinct "

At NO point have I said this. You seem to be deliberately twisting what I'm saying as though I want PS4 to fail and that tablets are the future. Stop being so defensive and read what I've said again.

In summary: PS4 and nextBox will be cheaper at launch than Xbox360 and PS3 because consumers have far more choice about what they spend their entertainment budget on. This is a good thing for us console gamers because it almost certainly means the next set of machines will be much cheaper at launch than their current gen counterparts were.

That is it. That's all I'm saying.

The rest of my piece is simply about what else is out there to attract consumers wallets and you can't deny that those alternatives weren't available 6 or 7 years ago when Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft had the gaming/entertainment world to themselves and could set prices as they liked. They don't have that luxury now. Nintendo have gone from hero to zero in one generation by trying to mimic the tablet experience; but clearly people are buying actual tablets, not the Wii U.

I'm closing my posts on this now, I've made a simple point to suggest PS4 will have a great price at launch but for some reason it's getting people's backs up. Weird!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinstraka8282 View Post
I have an Ipad and I don't like playing games on it, I always play my PS3 over Ipad games. Better games, better controls, multiplayer, and bigger screens.
This is the reason tablets will never make consoles obsolete.

I do think that gaming consoles now have less room to expand their market because mobile gaming satisfies some part of the population, but even though that's a large market, they're not the hardcore enthusiast crowd who spend the most money on the hobby.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #38
Power Member

Nov 2007
Chicago, IL

I have tablet and fkn HATE gaming on it. The controls schemes suck, the screen is constantly getting dirty from my fingers, and the experience is just meh. My 55" plasma, audio system, and ps3 give a far better experience than any tablet every will, and I bet a lot of gamers feel the same way.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
[Show spoiler]"consoles becoming extinct "

At NO point have I said this. You seem to be deliberately twisting what I'm saying as though I want PS4 to fail and that tablets are the future. Stop being so defensive and read what I've said again.

In summary: PS4 and nextBox will be cheaper at launch than Xbox360 and PS3 because consumers have far more choice about what they spend their entertainment budget on. This is a good thing for us console gamers because it almost certainly means the next set of machines will be much cheaper at launch than their current gen counterparts were.

That is it. That's all I'm saying.

The rest of my piece is simply about what else is out there to attract consumers wallets and you can't deny that those alternatives weren't available 6 or 7 years ago when Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft had the gaming/entertainment world to themselves and could set prices as they liked. They don't have that luxury now. Nintendo have gone from hero to zero in one generation by trying to mimic the tablet experience; but clearly people are buying actual tablets, not the Wii U.

I'm closing my posts on this now, I've made a simple point to suggest PS4 will have a great price at launch but for some reason it's getting people's backs up.
Weird!
I've enjoyed reading your posts and I haven't once taken them how other people seem to be taking them! Just thought you'd like to know that!

EDIT: Here's hoping for a 299 launch!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticMutation View Post
I've enjoyed reading your posts and I haven't once taken them how other people seem to be taking them! Just thought you'd like to know that!

EDIT: Here's hoping for a 299 launch!!!
Those were the days
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4