Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Judgment (PS4)
$39.99

Kill la Kill - IF (PS4)
$49.94

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98

Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94

Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)
$19.99

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$49.94

Divinity: Original Sin II (PS4)
$19.99

LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$19.99

Rage 2 (PS4)
$59.99
15 hrs ago
Farming Simulator 19 (PS4)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default PlayStation 4 - What's in the box Everything you'll get when you buy your PS4

The PlayStation 4 will be out this Christmas at a price of $399 / €399 / 349. But what exactly does that get you?

Here's your definitive guide to everything that comes included in the PlayStation 4 box, according to Sony. It's worth noting there's no PlayStation Eye camera included - that's sold separately and will set you back $59 / €49 / 44.

The PlayStation 4

Fairly obviously, the most important thing in your PlayStation 4 box is the console itself. It's packing a 500GB hard drive (though Sony points out that the actual disk space you'll have to play with is less than that because some space will be reserved for system processes). It's got 8GB of GDDR5 memory, an eight-core x86-64 AMD Jaguar CPU, a 1.8 TFLOPS Radeon GPU, two USB 3.0 ports and a six-speed Blu-ray drive.

DualShock 4 controller

You'll get one DualShock 4 controller with the console. As with the DualShock 3, it has a built-in rechargable battery that charges via USB. If you want to buy extra controllers, they'll set you back $59 / €59 / 54 each.

Mono headset

The PlayStation 4 has a strong emphasis on sharing and multiplayer, so this time around the PS4 will come with a headset (something sold separately for PS3), allowing everyone to use voice communication right out of the box.

Cords and cables

Finally, the box comes with three cables. There's your standard AC power cord to power the system, there's an HDMI cable to plug it into your TV, and there's a USB cable, presumably to charge the DualShock 4 controller.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

So cliched, but so tempting...What's in the Box???

Kind of ambivalent about the headset, as I'm going to get called the N-word and the fa-word the way I currently do on Live, but it's better it be there than not. Bit of a shame about the Eye, I'm no fan of Kinect, but cameras do provide a few advantages.

Last edited by ariakon; 06-11-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

No camera, no problems.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010

Can't wait to have one
Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_nebula View Post
Can't wait to have one
You and me both dude! I want one NOW
Old 06-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
No camera, no problems.

Kind of expected given the 399.99 sticker price. Still, this all but guarantees zilch support for it!

The more I think about it, the more surprising it is to me. The way Sony talked about the camera back in February, they made it sound like it's an integral part of the PS4 gaming experience. Now it's just an afterthought peripheral? WEIRD!

Last edited by Steelmaker; 06-11-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Kind of expected given the 399.99 sticker price. Still, this all but guarantees zilch support for it!

The more I think about it, the more surprising it is to me. The way Sony talked about the camera back in February, they made it sound like it's an integral part of the PS4 gaming experience. Now it's just an afterthought peripheral? WEIRD!
Given that a lot of the same games will be developed with the Kinect in mind, I would be surprised if there weren't a lot of games with optional PS Camera support.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #8

Jun 2013
OH

Great idea on the HDMI and Headset. Cant wait!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

May 2009
Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Wait, so no PS Plus voucher for newbies to play online?

Shame.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Does this mean the Eye will not be a REQUIRED peripheral in order to get on and play like it was imposed back in Feb? If it's not a requirement, I don't see me needing to fork over the extra dough for one right away.... would rather use the $59 to buy another DS4 instead.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoofykindasuperman View Post
Does this mean the Eye will not be a REQUIRED peripheral in order to get on and play like it was imposed back in Feb? If it's not a requirement, I don't see me needing to fork over the extra dough for one right away.... would rather use the $59 to buy another DS4 instead.
I can't recall, did they really say it was required back then?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Not bad!

Is it known if the hard drive is upgradable like with the PS3? 500 GB will likely be plenty to start out with, but there was a time early in the life of the PS3 where 60 and 80 GB sounded like a lot, and I'm sure many of us have upgraded our hard drives since. A similar need will likely occur down the road for PS4.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Not bad!

Is it known if the hard drive is upgradable like with the PS3? 500 GB will likely be plenty to start out with, but there was a time early in the life of the PS3 where 60 and 80 GB sounded like a lot, and I'm sure many of us have upgraded our hard drives since. A similar need will likely occur down the road for PS4.
Yes it's upgradeable just like with PS3.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I can't recall, did they really say it was required back then?
No but they sure gushed over it like it would a huge intregal part of the PS4. I'm still sort of scratching my head over this one.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:

It will get as much support as the PS Eye got, which IMO is enough

Little Big Planet will support it and some other games. I'll be buying it for sure, but it was definitely the wrong move to force it on everyone which in turn jacks the price up of the console
Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #16

Jul 2007

Quote:

I think it'll get enough support.

Things like FPS like in Killzone, Infinite, and Portal 2
Fitness and Dancing games are pretty much a given as well, both from Sony and 3rd parties. There's no reason to think games like Dance Central and whatever Fitness games are coming won't come to PS4 as well. The camera is more capable than Kinect 1, AFAIK.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:

Even if the camera were included it's retail price is only 44 so it would still cost less than an XBone even if it was added in

I dont want the POS gimmick personally so I'm more than happy it's not being forced down my throat and saving me 40+ at the same time.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #18

Jul 2012

Quote:
Yes it's upgradeable just like with PS3.
Excellent. I'm only getting one of the next gen consoles at launch and Sony made the choice easy for me.

So game installs are mandatory for PS4 games as well?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mal View Post
Excellent. I'm only getting one of the next gen consoles at launch and Sony made the choice easy for me.

Probably the same as the PS3 does it now with some data being installed to make the transitions in game more smooth. I beleive the only difference this time around is it will install in the background so you will be able to play right away instead of waiting for a couple GB install to finish. It wouldn't work with a mandatory install for this system considering you could no longer own the game and would still be able to play it since the draconian laws of the Xbone aren't in play here.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mal View Post

No, I don't see why full game installs would be since there's no DRM on PS4 like they have on XBone.

It should at least give you the option to install the full game. If not then I'd expect the usual game data install we have already with PS3 games.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4