Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Judgment (PS4)
$51.94
11 hrs ago
Kill la Kill - IF (PS4)
$49.94
14 hrs ago
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$29.99

LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$19.99

Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94

LEGO Marvel Collection (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Ni No Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom Collector's Edition (PS4)
$49.97

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$49.94

Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default Sony confirms PS4 pre-owned DRM is 'up to third parties' - Online passes

DRM policy depends on "whether they think it's in the best stead"

Sony has said it will not dictate a pre-owned DRM policy, but the decision for third-party games will be up to publishers.

Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO Jack Tretton appeared on GTTV and fielded questions about the PlayStation 4, eventually tackling the issue of pre-owned games, trading and lending.

"The DRM decision for third-party games will be up to publishers," he said.

Asked what Sony will do if a third party publisher approaches the company and says it wants to restrict the trading of its games, Tretton responded: "We've certainly stated that with our first party games we're not going to be doing that, but we welcome publishers and their business models to our platform.

"There's going to be free-to-play, there's going to be every potential business model on there, and again that's up to their relationship with the consumer and whether they think it's in the best stead, so we're not going to dictate that, we're going to give them a platform to publish on."

He also said: "The DRM decision is going to have to be in the hands of the third parties, that's not something we're going to dictate or control or mandate or implement."

During its E3 press conference Sony seemingly confirmed the PlayStation 4 will be unequivocally free from any restrictions on pre-owned games.

"When a gamer buys a PS4 disc, they can trade in, sell it to a friend, or lend it, keep it forever," said Tretton.

"PlayStation 4 disc games don't need to be connected online to be play, or any type of authentication. PS4 won't require you to check in".

"It won't stop working if you haven't authenticated within 24 hours," he finished, referring to Microsoft's controversial used game policy.

However, it now seems that the door is open for third-party publishers to impose restrictions if they wish.

CVG has contacted Sony for comment and clarification.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...third-parties/
Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Special Member

Dec 2007

The door is just as open on the PS3. Why are people acting like what Sony said is some sort of half-truth when it is the current system in place on the PS3?

Insanity
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Mary's Land

Wait, I thought that is what was going on now, I mean the whole "EA Online Pass" was this BS right?

How is this any different than what is currently taking place?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

So If I understand this correctly a company can require an online connection right or even a check in every 24 hours?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcobar411 View Post
The door is just as open on the PS3. Why are people acting like what Sony said is some sort of half-truth when it is the current system in place on the PS3?

Insanity
Exactly.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcobar411 View Post

Insanity
I'm sure if they see it benefiting on the ONE they will do it here too.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Special Member

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
I'm sure if they see it benefiting on the ONE they will do it here too.
The publishers may, but I doubt Sony will change course. They've built the PS4 on this.

From what has been said by some in various places, it is more of MS thing, than a publisher thing. Not trying to spread FUD, just stating things I have heard and read.

I believe the PS4 experience will be similar to the PS3. Publishers will just find ways to make you want to be online.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

All he did was basically say that publishers have the same right to do what they've wanted to on ALL Sony consoles, including the PS3. Unlike MS though, they wouldn't mandatory enforce such DRM policies in any shape or form.

Basically, if a dev does decide to do that, they're going to get the same boycott MS is about to get
Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
So If I understand this correctly a company can require an online connection right or even a check in every 24 hours?
Developers could do that now if they wanted to, but they haven't. Sony isn't programming the 24 hour thing into their system like MS is with theirs, but there's always been the possibility of disc-based or digital-code based DRM schemes.

This is a non-issue.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Developers could do that now if they wanted to, but they haven't. Sony isn't programming the 24 hour thing into their system like MS is with theirs, but there's always been the possibility of disc-based or digital-code based DRM schemes.

This is a non-issue.
Mark my words there will be publishers that will do it on PS4 I guarantee it! I'm still buying it cause Sont wont do it to their 1st party titles.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Special Member

Dec 2007

Quote:
Mark my words there will be publishers that will do it on PS4 I guarantee it! I'm still buying it cause Sont wont do it to their 1st party titles.
They'll do it in some unique way. Like Destiny. That game will likely require you always be online. Other games will have incentives to be online. If a company goes through the trouble to build in a 24-hour check thing...good for them. It is a waste of money, but good for them.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I don't think it is necessary for Destiny tbh, because I believe it has a single player component that you can then also play on a MMO type scale.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I don't think it is necessary for Destiny tbh, because I believe it has a single player component that you can then also play on a MMO type scale.
I thought destiny requires always online>
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Mary's Land

Quote:
What would the publishers benefit from doing this? I'm asking because I honestly don't know why.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
I thought destiny requires always online>
It's an MMO so yes, you will need to be internet connected to play it. Players WILL have the option to play it as a single player experience in that they can still do quests and are not required to interact with other players who are online but the connection is still required. The reason being is that Bungie is making this an ever evolving, ever changing universe that will affect your story and your character.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.

Seeing how EA is going away from the online pass since they saw how everyone went away from it I really hope publishers see these online codes SUCK!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
It's an MMO so yes, you will need to be internet connected to play it. Players WILL have the option to play it as a single player experience in that they can still do quests and are not required to interact with other players who are online but the connection is still required. The reason being is that Bungie is making this an ever evolving, ever changing universe that will affect your story and your character.
Ok, that could be where the confusion came from for me. I suppose it is like DCUO, where I pretty much did most of the content solo. Destiny looks awesome though.

God, I so hate the fact my net sucks donkey kong

Can't even move out of my area till I've actually started earning a load of money
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

My question in regards to the MMO's coming to PS4 such as Destiny, Elder Scrolls Online, etc is will these games be subscription based? I really hope they're not because frankly I don't think that business model will work with console gamers. I know PC gamers have been fine with it but when your'e already paying for the game, internet subscription, and network subscription I don't see how you charge gamers yet AGAIN just to play the game!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Ok, that could be where the confusion came from for me. I suppose it is like DCUO, where I pretty much did most of the content solo. Destiny looks awesome though.

God, I so hate the fact my net sucks donkey kong

Can't even move out of my area till I've actually started earning a load of money
The guy from Bungie compared to "Journey." Saying that you will obviously see other players online but it's not a requirement to interact with them. He said they recognize that there are gamers out there who like to be the "lone wolf" when it comes to gaming.

Destiny looked amazing last night! I will own that one day one as long as it's not subscription based.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
Special Member

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
The guy from Bungie compared to "Journey." Saying that you will obviously see other players online but it's not a requirement to interact with them. He said they recognize that there are gamers out there who like to be the "lone wolf" when it comes to gaming.

Destiny looked amazing last night! I will own that one day one as long as it's not subscription based.
Would you hate me if I said I'll have it day 1 even if it is... Please don't. I fell in love with that game last night
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4