Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Judgment (PS4)
$51.94
11 hrs ago
Kill la Kill - IF (PS4)
$49.94
14 hrs ago
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$29.99
 
LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$19.99
 
Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99
 
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94
 
LEGO Marvel Collection (PS4)
$19.99
 
Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$19.99
 
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94
 
Ni No Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom Collector's Edition (PS4)
$49.97
 
Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$49.94
 
Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
52
798
5
1
Default Sony confirms PS4 pre-owned DRM is 'up to third parties' - Online passes

DRM policy depends on "whether they think it's in the best stead"

Sony has said it will not dictate a pre-owned DRM policy, but the decision for third-party games will be up to publishers.

Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO Jack Tretton appeared on GTTV and fielded questions about the PlayStation 4, eventually tackling the issue of pre-owned games, trading and lending.

"The DRM decision for third-party games will be up to publishers," he said.

Asked what Sony will do if a third party publisher approaches the company and says it wants to restrict the trading of its games, Tretton responded: "We've certainly stated that with our first party games we're not going to be doing that, but we welcome publishers and their business models to our platform.

"There's going to be free-to-play, there's going to be every potential business model on there, and again that's up to their relationship with the consumer and whether they think it's in the best stead, so we're not going to dictate that, we're going to give them a platform to publish on."

He also said: "The DRM decision is going to have to be in the hands of the third parties, that's not something we're going to dictate or control or mandate or implement."

During its E3 press conference Sony seemingly confirmed the PlayStation 4 will be unequivocally free from any restrictions on pre-owned games.

"When a gamer buys a PS4 disc, they can trade in, sell it to a friend, or lend it, keep it forever," said Tretton.

"PlayStation 4 disc games don't need to be connected online to be play, or any type of authentication. PS4 won't require you to check in".

"It won't stop working if you haven't authenticated within 24 hours," he finished, referring to Microsoft's controversial used game policy.

However, it now seems that the door is open for third-party publishers to impose restrictions if they wish.

CVG has contacted Sony for comment and clarification.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...third-parties/
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
ezcobar411 ezcobar411 is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2007
Default

The door is just as open on the PS3. Why are people acting like what Sony said is some sort of half-truth when it is the current system in place on the PS3?

Insanity
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Trailbreaker77 Trailbreaker77 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Trailbreaker77's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Mary's Land
66
Default

Wait, I thought that is what was going on now, I mean the whole "EA Online Pass" was this BS right?

How is this any different than what is currently taking place?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
xXI GaMe IXx xXI GaMe IXx is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
xXI GaMe IXx's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
2
Default

So If I understand this correctly a company can require an online connection right or even a check in every 24 hours?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
3
640
61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcobar411 View Post
The door is just as open on the PS3. Why are people acting like what Sony said is some sort of half-truth when it is the current system in place on the PS3?

Insanity
Exactly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
xXI GaMe IXx xXI GaMe IXx is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
xXI GaMe IXx's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcobar411 View Post
The door is just as open on the PS3. Why are people acting like what Sony said is some sort of half-truth when it is the current system in place on the PS3?

Insanity
I'm sure if they see it benefiting on the ONE they will do it here too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
ezcobar411 ezcobar411 is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
I'm sure if they see it benefiting on the ONE they will do it here too.
The publishers may, but I doubt Sony will change course. They've built the PS4 on this.

From what has been said by some in various places, it is more of MS thing, than a publisher thing. Not trying to spread FUD, just stating things I have heard and read.

I believe the PS4 experience will be similar to the PS3. Publishers will just find ways to make you want to be online.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

All he did was basically say that publishers have the same right to do what they've wanted to on ALL Sony consoles, including the PS3. Unlike MS though, they wouldn't mandatory enforce such DRM policies in any shape or form.

Basically, if a dev does decide to do that, they're going to get the same boycott MS is about to get
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
3
640
61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
So If I understand this correctly a company can require an online connection right or even a check in every 24 hours?
Developers could do that now if they wanted to, but they haven't. Sony isn't programming the 24 hour thing into their system like MS is with theirs, but there's always been the possibility of disc-based or digital-code based DRM schemes.

This is a non-issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
xXI GaMe IXx xXI GaMe IXx is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
xXI GaMe IXx's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Developers could do that now if they wanted to, but they haven't. Sony isn't programming the 24 hour thing into their system like MS is with theirs, but there's always been the possibility of disc-based or digital-code based DRM schemes.

This is a non-issue.
Mark my words there will be publishers that will do it on PS4 I guarantee it! I'm still buying it cause Sont wont do it to their 1st party titles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
ezcobar411 ezcobar411 is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
Mark my words there will be publishers that will do it on PS4 I guarantee it! I'm still buying it cause Sont wont do it to their 1st party titles.
They'll do it in some unique way. Like Destiny. That game will likely require you always be online. Other games will have incentives to be online. If a company goes through the trouble to build in a 24-hour check thing...good for them. It is a waste of money, but good for them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

I don't think it is necessary for Destiny tbh, because I believe it has a single player component that you can then also play on a MMO type scale.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
xXI GaMe IXx xXI GaMe IXx is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
xXI GaMe IXx's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I don't think it is necessary for Destiny tbh, because I believe it has a single player component that you can then also play on a MMO type scale.
I thought destiny requires always online>
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
Trailbreaker77 Trailbreaker77 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Trailbreaker77's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Mary's Land
66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
Mark my words there will be publishers that will do it on PS4 I guarantee it! I'm still buying it cause Sont wont do it to their 1st party titles.
What would the publishers benefit from doing this? I'm asking because I honestly don't know why.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
I thought destiny requires always online>
It's an MMO so yes, you will need to be internet connected to play it. Players WILL have the option to play it as a single player experience in that they can still do quests and are not required to interact with other players who are online but the connection is still required. The reason being is that Bungie is making this an ever evolving, ever changing universe that will affect your story and your character.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
Bizdady Bizdady is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Bizdady's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.
21
209
1
38
Default

Seeing how EA is going away from the online pass since they saw how everyone went away from it I really hope publishers see these online codes SUCK!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
It's an MMO so yes, you will need to be internet connected to play it. Players WILL have the option to play it as a single player experience in that they can still do quests and are not required to interact with other players who are online but the connection is still required. The reason being is that Bungie is making this an ever evolving, ever changing universe that will affect your story and your character.
Ok, that could be where the confusion came from for me. I suppose it is like DCUO, where I pretty much did most of the content solo. Destiny looks awesome though.

God, I so hate the fact my net sucks donkey kong

Can't even move out of my area till I've actually started earning a load of money
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

My question in regards to the MMO's coming to PS4 such as Destiny, Elder Scrolls Online, etc is will these games be subscription based? I really hope they're not because frankly I don't think that business model will work with console gamers. I know PC gamers have been fine with it but when your'e already paying for the game, internet subscription, and network subscription I don't see how you charge gamers yet AGAIN just to play the game!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Ok, that could be where the confusion came from for me. I suppose it is like DCUO, where I pretty much did most of the content solo. Destiny looks awesome though.

God, I so hate the fact my net sucks donkey kong

Can't even move out of my area till I've actually started earning a load of money
The guy from Bungie compared to "Journey." Saying that you will obviously see other players online but it's not a requirement to interact with them. He said they recognize that there are gamers out there who like to be the "lone wolf" when it comes to gaming.

Destiny looked amazing last night! I will own that one day one as long as it's not subscription based.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
ezcobar411 ezcobar411 is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
The guy from Bungie compared to "Journey." Saying that you will obviously see other players online but it's not a requirement to interact with them. He said they recognize that there are gamers out there who like to be the "lone wolf" when it comes to gaming.

Destiny looked amazing last night! I will own that one day one as long as it's not subscription based.
Would you hate me if I said I'll have it day 1 even if it is... Please don't. I fell in love with that game last night
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:52 AM.