Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99
 
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$29.99
 
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94
 
Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$19.99
 
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94
 
LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
LEGO Marvel Collection (PS4)
$19.99
 
Ni No Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom Collector's Edition (PS4)
$49.97
 
Warhammer: Chaosbane (PS4)
$29.99
 
Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98
 
God of War (PS4)
$19.99
 
Anthem (PS4)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
R3P0 R3P0 is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
R3P0's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
46
Default The Uninformed Gaming Community

I hope that these retail stores do a good job of educating there customers about these new game systems. Today on my local sports am radio show somehow they got into a discussion about Xbox One and Ps4. They of course complained about the price, and equated it to someone buying a TV or Radio back in the day. Once caller said it was Ps4 that had all the gaming restrictions, thankfully someone called and corrected him. Another said ppl were upset because both consoles are 600 dollars, and another called and complained they have to "update" there gaming system every 2-3 years.

Even after someone did correct and say it was Xbox One with Kinect pissing everyone off people still got it wrong and the hosts began making fun of gamers. This does not bode well for this generation of gaming consoles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
RaijinUT RaijinUT is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
RaijinUT's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
140
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT
Default

Ex sport jocks making fun of gamers? Never....

But I do agree the communities are extremely uninformed. I have know I had to correct a lot of friends and co-workers the past two days on exclusivity, system policies, etc.

Honestly I can not blame people for being misinformed right now. The info coming out is all over the place.

Last edited by RaijinUT; 06-12-2013 at 12:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
jedilips jedilips is offline
Senior Member
 
jedilips's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
525
Default

F 'em. If they can't take the time to educate themselves on a $400+ purchase, they deserve all the misery they get if it's not what they wanted. There's plenty of time between E3 and release to get the info.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Matt S Matt S is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Matt S's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Texas. Muggy & Hot 24/7/365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
I hope that these retail stores do a good job of educating there customers about these new game systems.
Who's going to do that? The 19 year olds that retailers hire?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Blu-Benny Blu-Benny is offline
Michael Bay's #1 Fan
 
Blu-Benny's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny
39
517
108
138
Default

this is why i'm on a forum like this!!

i'll ask all my questions here......there is more than enough info on these boards to make the right decision (ps4)

the internet is a wonderful thing!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Goodintentions Goodintentions is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Goodintentions's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilips View Post
F 'em. If they can't take the time to educate themselves on a $400+ purchase, they deserve all the misery they get if it's not what they wanted. There's plenty of time between E3 and release to get the info.
+1. If your dumb enough to just blind buy ANYTHING without researching it you deserve what you get. I never buy anykind of expensive item without doing my own research first.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
R3P0 R3P0 is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
R3P0's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
Who's going to do that? The 19 year olds that retailers hire?
The retailers should be informing there employees. Hell my job is tech based and I keep up on most technology because I am asked about it constantly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
R3P0 R3P0 is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
R3P0's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodintentions View Post
+1. If your dumb enough to just blind buy ANYTHING without researching it you deserve what you get. I never buy anykind of expensive item without doing my own research first.
How would you guys feel if it was your niece or nephew that got hoodwinked into buying something that was not good because of a bad customer service rep or marketing ploy. I am simply stating that saying screw them they deserved it is not a proper thing to say IE HDDVD/Blu-Ray, this is a similar situation where we as informed consumers and retailers need to properly educate those that need it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Another_Dude Another_Dude is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Another_Dude's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
191
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
Today on my local sports am radio show...

Headline: Almost a dozen people were given incorrect information regarding gaming consoles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Another_Dude Another_Dude is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Another_Dude's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
191
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
The retailers should be informing there employees. Hell my job is tech based and I keep up on most technology because I am asked about it constantly.

I need to inform you that the correct word to use in that situation is "their" and not "there". Normally I wouldn't care, but the irony of you consistently making that mistake in posts about people giving misinformation was to, err two, err too much to bare, err bear.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Goodintentions Goodintentions is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Goodintentions's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
How would you guys feel if it was your niece or nephew that got hoodwinked into buying something that was not good because of a bad customer service rep or marketing ploy. I am simply stating that saying screw them they deserved it is not a proper thing to say IE HDDVD/Blu-Ray, this is a similar situation where we as informed consumers and retailers need to properly educate those that need it.
Then it would go double for them because being related to me then they really should know better. I dont feel bad for people who just want to look cool saying thwy have something that they know nothing about
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
jsteinhauer jsteinhauer is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
jsteinhauer's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
120
66
Default

Good customer service comes at a price.

Maintaining informed employees who are interested in passing knowledge along to customers is more expensive than keeping clerks who just take your money. I would wager that 99% of you would not spend $10 more on your console to buy it from a knowledgeable and helpful sales clerk.

It doesn't matter anyway. People believe who and what they want to believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
jedilips jedilips is offline
Senior Member
 
jedilips's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
Good customer service comes at a price.

Maintaining informed employees who are interested in passing knowledge along to customers is more expensive than keeping clerks who just take your money. I would wager that 99% of you would not spend $10 more on your console to buy it from a knowledgeable and helpful sales clerk.

It doesn't matter anyway. People believe who and what they want to believe.
It does go both ways... was in line at Best Buy yesterday for the first time in like a year and had 2 of the dumbest customers I've ever seen trying to return things they didn't understand when they bought them.

One was returning Geek Squad installations and warranties for her entire home theater (because her son set it up for her - um, maybe you could have asked him BEFORE you spent $1000s on unnecessary BS). The other was returning a Pacific blu ray set because it "wouldn't play on her DVD television" - said it wasn't clearly marked, though the giant blu ray logo on it was a probably a clue.

Consumer electronics purchases should not be done lightly or by the uneducated, but they all want that stuff without doing any of the legwork. We complain about terrible employees (rightfully so), but there are more terrible customers.

Last edited by jedilips; 06-12-2013 at 03:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
GeneticMutation GeneticMutation is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
GeneticMutation's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
United Kingdom
6
146
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilips View Post
It does go both ways... was in line at Best Buy yesterday for the first time in like a year and had 2 of the dumbest customers I've ever seen trying to return things they didn't understand when they bought them.

One was returning Geek Squad installations and warranties for her entire home theater (because her son set it up for her - um, maybe you could have asked him BEFORE you spent $1000s on unnecessary BS). The other was returning a Pacific blu ray set because it "wouldn't play on her DVD television" - said it wasn't clearly marked, though the giant blu ray logo on it was a probably a clue.

Consumer electronics purchases should not be done lightly or by the uneducated, but they all want that stuff without doing any of the legwork. We complain about terrible employees (rightfully so), but there are more terrible customers.
Well said, agree 100%! I work in a bank sorting customer complaints and you would not believe some if the stuff I have to deal with!

Sorry a bit off topic!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Snicket Snicket is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Snicket's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
80
587
1
26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Dude View Post
Headline: Almost a dozen people were given incorrect information regarding gaming consoles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
142
1436
1362
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
The retailers should be informing there employees. Hell my job is tech based and I keep up on most technology because I am asked about it constantly.
While I agree with the overall sentiment that retail employees should be informed and give the customer the proper info, the other thing to consider is that for better or worse, retail outlets have a vested interest to sell everything that they have in stock to the best of their ability.

While you and I would like to see an informed sales clerk steer people in the direction of PS4, and I'm sure at least some will (whether it's by knowing actual facts or by way of their own ignorance by luck swinging a customer in favor of PS4), the problem is that ultimately the retailer wants to sell both systems to keep stock moving. So if they see the Xbox One systems not moving as well, they'll probably try to push their employees to push them more on customers, which of course sucks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
Lovemy3D Lovemy3D is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Lovemy3D's Avatar
 
May 2010
2
Default

I know it. The majority of people have access to the internet now days, and are using it. All one has to do is type what they're interested in into their little search engine there. And there you go. All the information there is about said item pops up for you, lol.

People often mistakenly believe store clerks know what they're talking about. Sometimes they seem to think they do, and tell you things that are outright false. I actually had to learn the hard way myself.

One example of many I've had at Best Buy. I wanted to buy a web cam. I didn't look up web cams and read about them. I just went into Best Buy and started looking at them. I asked the guy working in that area what the difference between cams was, and which ones were better? His answer. "There is no difference, they are all the same."

I'm thinking that seems weird since there are so many different price ranges. Since they are all the same I'll just get the cheapest one lol. So I did and what a piece of crap, total garbage picture quality.

So of course after that I looked into it online and found out Logitech makes some good cams. Went and returned that piece of crap and paid a little more to get a lower end Logitech. Turned out to be a good cam with great picture quality. Though it doesn't have a real wide view. But like I said, it's a lower end Logitech. I think it was like $40

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 06-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
jsteinhauer jsteinhauer is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
jsteinhauer's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
120
66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
I know it. The majority of people have access to the internet now days, and are using it. All one has to do is type what they're interested in into their little search engine there. And there you go. All the information there is about said item pops up for you, lol.

People often mistakenly believe store clerks know what they're talking about. Sometimes they seem to think they do, and tell you things that are outright false. I actually had to learn the hard way myself.
People who always believe sales clerks also believe everything they read on the internet. It's not a very good solution for those people.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #19
My_Two_Cents My_Two_Cents is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
My_Two_Cents's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....
40
20
490
19
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Dude View Post
I need to inform you that the correct word to use in that situation is "their" and not "there". Normally I wouldn't care, but the irony of you consistently making that mistake in posts about people giving misinformation was to, err two, err too much to bare, err bear.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #20
Lovemy3D Lovemy3D is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Lovemy3D's Avatar
 
May 2010
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
People who always believe sales clerks also believe everything they read on the internet. It's not a very good solution for those people.
That is a good point. But they should be able to look up the actual products, and get some better info on what it is they are trying to purchase. If I can do it anyone should be able to, lol.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 AM.