Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$29.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$19.99

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94

LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
LEGO Marvel Collection (PS4)
$19.99

Ni No Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom Collector's Edition (PS4)
$49.97

Warhammer: Chaosbane (PS4)
$29.99

Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98

God of War (PS4)
$19.99

Anthem (PS4)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
Default The Uninformed Gaming Community

I hope that these retail stores do a good job of educating there customers about these new game systems. Today on my local sports am radio show somehow they got into a discussion about Xbox One and Ps4. They of course complained about the price, and equated it to someone buying a TV or Radio back in the day. Once caller said it was Ps4 that had all the gaming restrictions, thankfully someone called and corrected him. Another said ppl were upset because both consoles are 600 dollars, and another called and complained they have to "update" there gaming system every 2-3 years.

Even after someone did correct and say it was Xbox One with Kinect pissing everyone off people still got it wrong and the hosts began making fun of gamers. This does not bode well for this generation of gaming consoles.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

Ex sport jocks making fun of gamers? Never....

But I do agree the communities are extremely uninformed. I have know I had to correct a lot of friends and co-workers the past two days on exclusivity, system policies, etc.

Honestly I can not blame people for being misinformed right now. The info coming out is all over the place.

Last edited by RaijinUT; 06-12-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

Aug 2009

F 'em. If they can't take the time to educate themselves on a $400+ purchase, they deserve all the misery they get if it's not what they wanted. There's plenty of time between E3 and release to get the info.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas. Muggy & Hot 24/7/365

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
I hope that these retail stores do a good job of educating there customers about these new game systems.
Who's going to do that? The 19 year olds that retailers hire?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

this is why i'm on a forum like this!!

i'll ask all my questions here......there is more than enough info on these boards to make the right decision (ps4)

the internet is a wonderful thing!!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilips View Post
F 'em. If they can't take the time to educate themselves on a $400+ purchase, they deserve all the misery they get if it's not what they wanted. There's plenty of time between E3 and release to get the info.
+1. If your dumb enough to just blind buy ANYTHING without researching it you deserve what you get. I never buy anykind of expensive item without doing my own research first.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
Who's going to do that? The 19 year olds that retailers hire?
The retailers should be informing there employees. Hell my job is tech based and I keep up on most technology because I am asked about it constantly.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodintentions View Post
+1. If your dumb enough to just blind buy ANYTHING without researching it you deserve what you get. I never buy anykind of expensive item without doing my own research first.
How would you guys feel if it was your niece or nephew that got hoodwinked into buying something that was not good because of a bad customer service rep or marketing ploy. I am simply stating that saying screw them they deserved it is not a proper thing to say IE HDDVD/Blu-Ray, this is a similar situation where we as informed consumers and retailers need to properly educate those that need it.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008

Quote:
Today on my local sports am radio show...

Headline: Almost a dozen people were given incorrect information regarding gaming consoles.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008

Quote:
The retailers should be informing there employees. Hell my job is tech based and I keep up on most technology because I am asked about it constantly.

I need to inform you that the correct word to use in that situation is "their" and not "there". Normally I wouldn't care, but the irony of you consistently making that mistake in posts about people giving misinformation was to, err two, err too much to bare, err bear.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus

Quote:
How would you guys feel if it was your niece or nephew that got hoodwinked into buying something that was not good because of a bad customer service rep or marketing ploy. I am simply stating that saying screw them they deserved it is not a proper thing to say IE HDDVD/Blu-Ray, this is a similar situation where we as informed consumers and retailers need to properly educate those that need it.
Then it would go double for them because being related to me then they really should know better. I dont feel bad for people who just want to look cool saying thwy have something that they know nothing about
Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Good customer service comes at a price.

Maintaining informed employees who are interested in passing knowledge along to customers is more expensive than keeping clerks who just take your money. I would wager that 99% of you would not spend $10 more on your console to buy it from a knowledgeable and helpful sales clerk.

It doesn't matter anyway. People believe who and what they want to believe.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #13

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
Good customer service comes at a price.

Maintaining informed employees who are interested in passing knowledge along to customers is more expensive than keeping clerks who just take your money. I would wager that 99% of you would not spend $10 more on your console to buy it from a knowledgeable and helpful sales clerk.

It doesn't matter anyway. People believe who and what they want to believe.
It does go both ways... was in line at Best Buy yesterday for the first time in like a year and had 2 of the dumbest customers I've ever seen trying to return things they didn't understand when they bought them.

One was returning Geek Squad installations and warranties for her entire home theater (because her son set it up for her - um, maybe you could have asked him BEFORE you spent $1000s on unnecessary BS). The other was returning a Pacific blu ray set because it "wouldn't play on her DVD television" - said it wasn't clearly marked, though the giant blu ray logo on it was a probably a clue.

Consumer electronics purchases should not be done lightly or by the uneducated, but they all want that stuff without doing any of the legwork. We complain about terrible employees (rightfully so), but there are more terrible customers.

Last edited by jedilips; 06-12-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilips View Post
It does go both ways... was in line at Best Buy yesterday for the first time in like a year and had 2 of the dumbest customers I've ever seen trying to return things they didn't understand when they bought them.

One was returning Geek Squad installations and warranties for her entire home theater (because her son set it up for her - um, maybe you could have asked him BEFORE you spent $1000s on unnecessary BS). The other was returning a Pacific blu ray set because it "wouldn't play on her DVD television" - said it wasn't clearly marked, though the giant blu ray logo on it was a probably a clue.

Consumer electronics purchases should not be done lightly or by the uneducated, but they all want that stuff without doing any of the legwork. We complain about terrible employees (rightfully so), but there are more terrible customers.
Well said, agree 100%! I work in a bank sorting customer complaints and you would not believe some if the stuff I have to deal with!

Sorry a bit off topic!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Dude View Post
Headline: Almost a dozen people were given incorrect information regarding gaming consoles.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
While I agree with the overall sentiment that retail employees should be informed and give the customer the proper info, the other thing to consider is that for better or worse, retail outlets have a vested interest to sell everything that they have in stock to the best of their ability.

While you and I would like to see an informed sales clerk steer people in the direction of PS4, and I'm sure at least some will (whether it's by knowing actual facts or by way of their own ignorance by luck swinging a customer in favor of PS4), the problem is that ultimately the retailer wants to sell both systems to keep stock moving. So if they see the Xbox One systems not moving as well, they'll probably try to push their employees to push them more on customers, which of course sucks.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

I know it. The majority of people have access to the internet now days, and are using it. All one has to do is type what they're interested in into their little search engine there. And there you go. All the information there is about said item pops up for you, lol.

People often mistakenly believe store clerks know what they're talking about. Sometimes they seem to think they do, and tell you things that are outright false. I actually had to learn the hard way myself.

One example of many I've had at Best Buy. I wanted to buy a web cam. I didn't look up web cams and read about them. I just went into Best Buy and started looking at them. I asked the guy working in that area what the difference between cams was, and which ones were better? His answer. "There is no difference, they are all the same."

I'm thinking that seems weird since there are so many different price ranges. Since they are all the same I'll just get the cheapest one lol. So I did and what a piece of crap, total garbage picture quality.

So of course after that I looked into it online and found out Logitech makes some good cams. Went and returned that piece of crap and paid a little more to get a lower end Logitech. Turned out to be a good cam with great picture quality. Though it doesn't have a real wide view. But like I said, it's a lower end Logitech. I think it was like $40

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 06-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
I know it. The majority of people have access to the internet now days, and are using it. All one has to do is type what they're interested in into their little search engine there. And there you go. All the information there is about said item pops up for you, lol.

People often mistakenly believe store clerks know what they're talking about. Sometimes they seem to think they do, and tell you things that are outright false. I actually had to learn the hard way myself.
People who always believe sales clerks also believe everything they read on the internet. It's not a very good solution for those people.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Dude View Post
I need to inform you that the correct word to use in that situation is "their" and not "there". Normally I wouldn't care, but the irony of you consistently making that mistake in posts about people giving misinformation was to, err two, err too much to bare, err bear.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
People who always believe sales clerks also believe everything they read on the internet. It's not a very good solution for those people.
That is a good point. But they should be able to look up the actual products, and get some better info on what it is they are trying to purchase. If I can do it anyone should be able to, lol.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4