Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$29.99

Rage 2 (PS4)
$39.99

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$19.99

LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
LEGO Marvel Collection (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$49.94

Ni No Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom Collector's Edition (PS4)
$49.97

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$49.94
23 hrs ago
Days Gone (PS4)
$39.98

NBA 2K19 (PS4)
$14.99

Anthem (PS4)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 06-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Default Wow! Sony is poised to unleash the Kraken!

In a statement releasted today, Sony has given Gamestop the green light to take an "unlimited amount of pre orders" for the PS4! They must be pretty damn confident that they can keep up with demand!

http://n4g.com/news/1288128/sony-to-...ystem-reserves

Last edited by Steelmaker; 06-21-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Could be a marketing ploy. If MS has limited pre-orders, and PS4 is unlimited, if you are one of those on the edge between Xbone and PS4 without an emotional connection to either party, you're obviously going to order the console you can order. Even if they can't fulfill it when launch day comes, you're still more likely to get it before you can get the other console, since you have a pre-order, and you won't change your mind.

It might not be a good thing for the manufacturer to be under enormous pressure create volum. Quality control might suffer.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
Could be a marketing ploy. If MS has limited pre-orders, and PS4 is unlimited, if you are one of those on the edge between Xbone and PS4 without an emotional connection to either party, you're obviously going to order the console you can order. Even if they can't fulfill it when launch day comes, you're still more likely to get it before you can get the other console, since you have a pre-order, and you won't change your mind.

It might not be a good thing for the manufacturer to be under enormous pressure create volum. Quality control might suffer.
Well I don't know if these "unlimited pre orders" are supposed to be launch guarantees or just holiday. Still, you would have to think that Sony wouldn't do this unless they were confident they could handle it. They are riding such a wave of positive PR right now surely they wouldn't jeopardize that by risking QC would they?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post

Wait ... I thought it was limited quantities that created demand?

Which is it then?

As per the news, it is in line with the recent news that Sony was gearing up for a 1 million PS4 a month production until the end of the year.
This (if real) just seems to confirm that the prodution process is running smoothly.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

Will just create a 3-6 month backlog like the 360 had.

Not loving that move... No one wants an x-mas PS4 "gift card" that they can redeem in 2 months.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaijinUT View Post

Not loving that move... No one wants an x-mas PS4 "gift card" that they can redeem in 2 months.
Well if the demand is there, what's the difference? If people WANT a PS4 and are willing to wait for it, better to go ahead and get them to financially commit to it. The odds of them switching to the competition go way down when that happens.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

There's a big difference between a "pre-order" and a "launch day acquisition".

I've actually never really understood why in the past they stop pre-orders at some point. If I'm in line for three years, then so be it...why am I not allowed to still pre-order?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Well if the demand is there, what's the difference? If people WANT a PS4 and are willing to wait for it, better to go ahead and get them to financially commit to it. The odds of them switching to the competition go way down when that happens.
Can back fire on them... A PS4 console backlog could be months, while an Xbox1 could be in stock.

Most consumers have a money to burn/I want it now approach. Yes, the consumer could want a PS4... but when a Xbox1 is sitting on a store shelf, then they are likely to buy the Xbox1 if they know they will not be able to get a PS4 for months.

Plus current released games will come into play... exclusive launch title like Killzone would not stop most consumers from not buying a Xbox1 if the Xbox1 was in stock and the PS4 had a month waiting list. Fanboys would wait... but your avg consumer wouldn't. The consoles are just too similar now and the Xbox1 looks to have better exclusives from the get go.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

Sony's design team absolutely smashed it this time. No PS3 style production issues or expense. Amazing job by Cerny!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Can back fire on them... A PS4 console backlog could be months, while an Xbox1 could be in stock.

Most consumers have a money to burn/I want it now approach. Yes, the consumer could want a PS4... but when a Xbox1 is sitting on a store shelf, then they are likely to buy the Xbox1 if they know they will not be able to get a PS4 for months.

Plus current released games will come into play... exclusive launch title like Killzone would not stop most consumers from not buying a Xbox1 if the Xbox1 was in stock and the PS4 had a month waiting list. Fanboys would wait... but your avg consumer wouldn't. The consoles are just too similar now and the Xbox1 looks to have better exclusives from the get go.
I guess I'm still missing your point Raijin. If the PS4 backlogs, it's going to do so regardless of whether pre orders are taken or not. Availability is what it is. Not allowing preorders doesn't help PS4's supply flow. My point is that if Sony can go ahead and get their customers to commit to pre ordering the unit, the odds of that customer switching to the competition go down immensely, even if they have to wait a while.

Having said that, I'd say Sony wouldn't be doing this if they weren't confident that they can keep up with demand.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Sony's design team absolutely smashed it this time. No PS3 style production issues or expense. Amazing job by Cerny!
That's awesome to hear Maximus!

If the PS4 ends up doing as well as I think it will, I foresee Cerny moving up the Sony corporate ladder FAST! That is if he wants it.

I loved Cerny on Fallon the other night. As soon as he opened his mouth he states "Okay so, this is the most powerful console ever designed."

LOL! It was priceless! He said it with such brashness yet with such humility! He comes across as like the nicest guy in video gaming. Sort of a Mr Rogers meets Shigeru Miyamoto!

Last edited by Steelmaker; 06-21-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Sweet! Hopefully this means they will have a ton of them available! Since I'm only preorder #4 at my local Sony store, this bodes well.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #13

Aug 2009

hopefully this puts the Slickdeals flipper scum out of the market.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Knoxville, TN

Ordered mine on Day One just to be safe!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Savannah GA

Quote:

Thats why I bought 2. 1 for me and one to try and sell for 800.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Wait ... I thought it was limited quantities that created demand?

Which is it then?

As per the news, it is in line with the recent news that Sony was gearing up for a 1 million PS4 a month production until the end of the year.
This (if real) just seems to confirm that the prodution process is running smoothly.
Do we have any way of finding out if they are currently producing these at that rate? I remember reading the same thing about 1 million a month but I thought it wasnt until September. If they could have say 6 million units available for launch that would be fantastic.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris60119 View Post
Thats why I bought 2. 1 for me and one to try and sell for 800.
Smart man. I have a launch edition Xbox1 pre-ordered that I am going to try to do that with.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Just cause Sony let people order an 'unlimited' amount, doesn't mean there won't be some type of wait for some people if demand is high as expected. In fact, if Sony can only have 4-5 million units in time for worldwide launch and demand was say 10, then that just shows that it was so damn popular that they can't keep up with demand even at full production capacity.

That is both a good and bad thing. Some people may not want to wait and get something else, but at the same time, some people are so determined they'll wait it out.

The bottom line is though, that is you're a company and you literally sell everything, then you're not doing anything wrong, it's just that you can't meet the highly overflowing level of demand in the marketplace. A total worldwide sell out would rejuvenate the industry imo at this point, and Sony is most likely to achieve it. Xbone however is likely to achieve it due to 2 factors, one is the 180 they pulled AND the second, because they seem to be having very large production issues and won't be able to produce as many consoles to sell. That is an artificially created shortage imo when you're selling out due to production issues not allowing enough consoles to be produced, compared to Sony producing at full capacity.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #19
Power Member

Nov 2010
Jackson, MS

Thats what I like to hear. Gives me the assurance I'll get one on launch day
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-
-

I hope they have enough. Yahoo! is saying that at one point during E3 the PS4 and XBOX One were being preordered at a rate of 2,500 per minute!
LINK They won't break down the numbers but it is pretty obvious which was higher.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4