Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Bourne Ultimate Collection… $19.99 (20 mins left)
Prime: How to Train Your Dragon: The … $11.99 (86% claimed)
Prime: Halloween $9.99 (1 hour left)
Prime: Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague $17.11 (10 mins left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Eurocrime Box (Blu-ray)
€34.97
6 hrs ago
Airwolf: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
€49.97
6 hrs ago
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€88.97
6 hrs ago
Bud Spencer & Terence Hill: 20er Mega Blu-ray Collection (Blu-ray)
€74.97
6 hrs ago
Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
€24.40
5 hrs ago
The 4400: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€49.97
6 hrs ago
Vampire gegen Herakles (Blu-ray)
€19.97
6 hrs ago
The Son: Season One (Blu-ray)
€10.97
6 hrs ago
Arrival + Life + Passengers 4K (Blu-ray)
€36.26

Child's Play (Blu-ray)
€23.99

I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
€19.97
6 hrs ago
The Boys From Brazil (Blu-ray)
€9.97
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #61
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

You can definitely see the compression artifacts on the US disc in the caps above. It's hard to tell if the US disc has more detail or not. My eyes tell it does, but I'm not sure. It looks list the DE disc has infinitely better compression, but it might also have some DNR too. Then there is the matter of framing. The DE is cropped tighter on the sides than the US disc. It's just unfortunate that Capelight saw fit to leave off the original audio, or I would've bought this for sure.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #62
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
England

Look at all that noise in the US caps though, horrible. It's not grain folks

The German is 31GB vs US 12GB

Compression is waaaay better on the German, trust me!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #63
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braktastic View Post
It's just unfortunate that Capelight saw fit to leave off the original audio, or I would've bought this for sure.
Same here. They lost that sale to me because of that.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #64
Power Member

Aug 2010

I watched the US bd last night, none of the issues that Capelight saw fit to fix are enough of a problem for me to spend the cash to upgrade. If it was a new scan, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, you can't polish a turd. I'll wait for a new edition properly done in the first place. It may be a while, but I'm ok with that.
Thanks given by:
Monroville (10-31-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #65
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
However, you can't polish a turd.
Actually, you can. They did it on Mythbusters.
Thanks given by:
Monroville (03-10-2015)
Old 10-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #66
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Is the 5.1 track on the German release a deal breaker? I would prefer the original mono audio really but does the remix (?) ruin the film or alter it irrevocably?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #67
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_Richie View Post
Is the 5.1 track on the German release a deal breaker? I would prefer the original mono audio really but does the remix (?) ruin the film or alter it irrevocably?
I wish I could tell you, but I still haven't gotten around to watching it all the way through. If I were you though, I'd hold off until we find out what the upcoming Japanese release looks like. It apparently will have both the mono and the 5.1 audio tracks.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #68
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
England

The 5.1 track is okay on the German release, would've been nice to have the original track but hey-ho.

As for the Japanese version, well unless they have found a perfect print or unearthed the original negative it will be taken from the only existing HD Master.

Happinet are known for using existing US transfers for their market, also a few 1080i and upscale releases in their catalogue.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #69
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickieduvet View Post
As for the Japanese version, well unless they have found a perfect print or unearthed the original negative it will be taken from the only existing HD Master.

Happinet are known for using existing US transfers for their market, also a few 1080i and upscale releases in their catalogue.
I've only heard about their Night of the Living Dead release,which everyone raves about. I'll try to keep my expectations in check, but I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:30 AM   #70

Nov 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickieduvet View Post
Believe me the Capelight is light years ahead of the US/Can version. It's not sharper it's just riddled with compression artifacts
Actually, judging from the screenshots, the U.S. disc IS sharper. Yes, you're right that it's riddled with compression artifacts, but the labels on the medicine bottles in that one shot are slightly more clear on the U.S. disc. The German disc has the same artifacts, they've just blurred it a bit so you don't notice it as much.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #71
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidClub View Post
Actually, judging from the screenshots, the U.S. disc IS sharper. Yes, you're right that it's riddled with compression artifacts, but the labels on the medicine bottles in that one shot are slightly more clear on the U.S. disc. The German disc has the same artifacts, they've just blurred it a bit so you don't notice it as much.
Watching both discs together (flicking from one to the other) it's obvious the German is superior, trust me. Screenshots are all well and good, viewing in motion is something else
Thanks given by:
originalHDphantom (03-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #72
Power Member

Oct 2013
UK

How does the new Scream Factory disc compare to this? Is there an improvement over the PQ/AQ?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 PM   #73
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsetSmiley View Post
How does the new Scream Factory disc compare to this? Is there an improvement over the PQ/AQ?
Yes, but with the caveat that it's just never going to look fantastic due to source limitations. It's just an old, soft, grainy movie. There's really no increase in detail, but the grain looks so much better. It has a similar, but slightly higher, bitrate, and it's a new scan of the negative. There's been some debate on the colors, as the SF is a bit warmer, but I thought it looked fine. Additionally, it includes the original mono, although you need to make sure that you have the fixed version (lots of sibilance on the original). It will say V2 on the disc, and there's a replacement program if it doesn't.
Thanks given by:
UpsetSmiley (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #74
Power Member

Oct 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockercub View Post
Yes, but with the caveat that it's just never going to look fantastic due to source limitations. It's just an old, soft, grainy movie. There's really no increase in detail, but the grain looks so much better. It has a similar, but slightly higher, bitrate, and it's a new scan of the negative. There's been some debate on the colors, as the SF is a bit warmer, but I thought it looked fine. Additionally, it includes the original mono, although you need to make sure that you have the fixed version (lots of sibilance on the original). It will say V2 on the disc, and there's a replacement program if it doesn't.
Nice one! Thanks for the info, really appreciate the response. As an owner of the German Blu, I'm not quite convinced it's time to upgrade.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #75
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsetSmiley View Post
Nice one! Thanks for the info, really appreciate the response. As an owner of the German Blu, I'm not quite convinced it's time to upgrade.
It's a personal call, but I consider the SF to be the definitive release (with Capelight as the runner-up). You can check out the caps here:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d...d2=9472&c=3828
Thanks given by:
UpsetSmiley (01-30-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #76
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Was going to order this from Amazon.de. I checked Amazon UK to see if it could be had even cheaper and saw that a UK version is to be released on Nov the 6th. Think I'll now wait to see which transfer is used on the upcoming UK release - I would prefer to own the more recent SF transfer (but am not region friendly).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany