Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Das Boot (Blu-ray)
€34.97
17 hrs ago
The Neon Demon 4K (Blu-ray)
€12.97
17 hrs ago
Louis de Funès - Die Gendarmen-Blu-ray-Box (Blu-ray)
€24.97
17 hrs ago
The Running Man (Blu-ray)
€14.97
17 hrs ago
Babylon Berlin Collection Staffel 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
€26.97
17 hrs ago
Bud Spencer & Terence Hill: 20er Mega Blu-ray Collection (Blu-ray)
€74.97

Hunter Killer (Blu-ray)
€8.97
17 hrs ago
Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
€24.40

Captain Future Komplettbox (Blu-ray)
€42.97
17 hrs ago
Lock Up 4K (Blu-ray)
€29.99

Billy Wilder Filmkollektion (Blu-ray)
€29.97
17 hrs ago
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€88.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 10-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #21

Jul 2010

It is rare on German discs but 88 Minutes and The Mothman Prophecies both have forced German subtitles -

Less of an issue but.........

Some films have forced German captions on specific scenes like Mr Brooks ( the blackmail/newspaper cuttings) and The Hunted (The Serbian soldiers dialogue scene).

Sometimes English language prologue or concluding text is replaced with German text like Mr Brooks or All Beauty Must Die (aka All Good Things)
Old 10-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #22

Jun 2012
Germany

oh yeah, burnt in German subs can be an issue for some people I guess. 'The Guard' has some during a certain dialogie scene.

Also, the movie 'Perfect Sense' apparently uses a German master and there's some German burnt in subs in it I believe and a scene where there's a German word on a TV screen where there should not be one, I believe.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #23

Jun 2012
Germany

not a German release but an Austrian one. 'I spit on your grave (2010)' by Illusions is quite terrible. Ordered that as ordering the Australian release would have been a bit too risky. And I gotta say: Holy hell. Illusions put the movie on a 25GB disc with a disappointingly low bitrate, using the MPEG2 codec. Wrong aspect ratio too. It looks really aweful. This might just be the worst Blu-ray in my collection. It's almost hard to find a spot without artifacts Oh well, might import the Australian release sooner or later after all.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #24
Power Member

Sep 2010

Paranormal Visitors is a straight dvd upscale. No original audio with English subtitles but it has the English dub, the problem is that the dub is horrible, so you'd be better off finding a disk with the Swedish audio and downloading subs for it.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #25
Expert Member

Oct 2009

How does The Yards look? Is it in scope? I want to import this to the US but need to know first.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #26

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post
How does The Yards look? Is it in scope? I want to import this to the US but need to know first.

Thanks,
Tom
The Yards is definitely worth a purchase - it's in the correct aspect with the two cuts of the movie presented (although there is not much difference between the cuts).
Old 10-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #27
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblearch View Post
The Yards is definitely worth a purchase - it's in the correct aspect with the two cuts of the movie presented (although there is not much difference between the cuts).
Thanks!

I will include it in my order.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #28
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Does anyone have Halloween H20? The release in the States is awful but I see it's available in Germany. I don't know if it's OAR and how the picture compares to other it's other releases around the world.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #29
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Having bought Needful Things i would not recommend this one - really poor quality.

The Ascot Elite transfers of The Gift and Rules of Engagement are also sub standard. There is a much better blu ray of The Gift released in Denmark. Maybe now Warners have access to the Paramount vault they will release a better quality disc of Rules of Engagement.

A Bronx Tale - even the various dvd releases were shoddy - The German blu fares no better - i think that Studio Canal used this lame transfer for the UK release - both versions should be avoided.
I'm in the US and would like to import The Gift Denmark release. Where can I import it from?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #30

Jul 2010

Quote:
Does anyone have Halloween H20? The release in the States is awful but I see it's available in Germany. I don't know if it's OAR and how the picture compares to other it's other releases around the world.

Thanks,
Tom
Yes the US release is poor- as was The Yards - i have the French release of H2O from Studio Canal which i believe is the same as the German one - aspect ratio is correct and picture quality is very good
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #31

Jul 2010

Quote:
I'm in the US and would like to import The Gift Denmark release. Where can I import it from?

Thanks,
Tom
i ordered through a seller from Sweden via Amazon UK - was a bit pricey but as i dont buy too many Sweden/Denmark discs i took the hit - was worth it as the pq is excellent - way better than the German blu
Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:

Thanks,
Tom

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...?hd_multiID=40 French and German are identical, Spanish has slightly different colour timing and brightness
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #33
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Thanks for the information guys.

Tom
Old 11-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #34
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
I imported this to the US and it arrived yesterday. I'm REALLY regretting buying it. The transfer is quite nice but when playing in english, I can't get rid of the foreign language subtitles. I can't read the menus so I selected the subtitle button and select subtitles off but it says "operation blocked by disc". Is there any possible way to shut them off? If this doesn't get solved, I'm done importing from a non english speaking country. I can't afford mistakes like this.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #35

Jul 2010

Quote:
I imported this to the US and it arrived yesterday. I'm REALLY regretting buying it. The transfer is quite nice but when playing in english, I can't get rid of the foreign language subtitles. I can't read the menus so I selected the subtitle button and select subtitles off but it says "operation blocked by disc". Is there any possible way to shut them off? If this doesn't get solved, I'm done importing from a non english speaking country. I can't afford mistakes like this.

Thanks,
Tom
I'll have a look at the disc when i get home form work but from memory the subtitles can be disabled through the disc menu screeen - The disc will default to display subtitles but when subtitles on the disc main menu is selected there is an on/off option there.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Code 46 - Opening informational text screens, giving a great deal of important exposition about the future world of the film, are in German, not the original English.

Also the English audio track is out of sync by a noticeable and distracting amount.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #37

Jul 2010

Quote:

Thanks,
Tom
Tried the disc and here's how to get round this Tom - load disc with the German menu . Select Sprachen/Ton - then it prompts you to select the theatrical or directors cut - when you select which version you want choose language option English 6.1, the subtitle options then appear - French, German and an x symbol in a box- the x symbol is for no subtitles - hit the x and it takes you back to the main menu - film starten begins the movie subtitle free.

Last edited by marblearch; 11-11-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add select language
Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #38
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Tried the disc and here's how to get round this Tom - load disc with the German menu . Select Sprachen/Ton - then it prompts you to select the theatrical or directors cut - when you select which version you want choose language option English 6.1, the subtitle options then appear - French, German and an x symbol in a box- the x symbol is for no subtitles - hit the x and it takes you back to the main menu - film starten begins the movie subtitle free.
Wow, thanks for going to so much trouble to help me. I'm blown away by your kindness.

I just tried it and it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no way I could have figured that out without your help.

Does H20 have this kind of setup as it is Studio Canal as well?

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 11-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #39

Jul 2010

Quote:
Wow, thanks for going to so much trouble to help me. I'm blown away by your kindness.

I just tried it and it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no way I could have figured that out without your help.

Does H20 have this kind of setup as it is Studio Canal as well?

Thanks again,
Tom
Happy days Tom.

Yes for H2O similar set up - slightly less convoluted as there is only one cut of the movie, Choose the German menu and Sprachen/Ton again, select English soundtrack and then on next screen hit the x - then it returns you to the main menu to start the movie.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #40
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Happy days Tom.

Yes for H2O similar set up - slightly less convoluted as there is only one cut of the movie, Choose the German menu and Sprachen/Ton again, select English soundtrack and then on next screen hit the x - then it returns you to the main menu to start the movie.
Thanks!

Just placed my order.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany