Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€88.97

Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
€24.40

Airwolf: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
€49.97

Bud Spencer & Terence Hill: 20er Mega Blu-ray Collection (Blu-ray)
€74.97

Eurocrime Box (Blu-ray)
€34.97

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Blu-ray)
€7.00
13 hrs ago
Child's Play (Blu-ray)
€23.99

The Son: Season One (Blu-ray)
€10.97

Arrival + Life + Passengers 4K (Blu-ray)
€36.26

The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
€13.85
8 hrs ago
Earth: One Amazing Day 4K (Blu-ray)
€18.99

The 4400: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€49.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 07-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

The longer 126 min cut of Deep Red is excellent.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #42

Jan 2013
Sweden

Nice. I have that version on my disc.
Thanks given by:
SymbioticFunction (07-12-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while but it seems to have crept up in price.

Is the consensus that the German disc is the best one to get? Has it always been a single disc release?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #44

Jun 2017
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
I've been meaning to pick this up for a while but it seems to have crept up in price.

Is the consensus that the German disc is the best one to get? Has it always been a single disc release?
Yes and yes
Thanks given by:
Ste7en (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

Nice, thanks. Wish I'd ordered it earlier now
Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #46

Jan 2011

Mother of Tears makes a whole lot more sense now. Sure its still low budget, indifferently staged and underrealized, and it certainly is not the same film it would have been had it been made in 1982, but the ideas that Argento is throwing around are totally relevant to todays times. I appreciate now what he was going for more then i did a few years ago.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #47
Power Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Maters View Post
Mother of Tears makes a whole lot more sense now. Sure its still low budget, indifferently staged and underrealized, ...
Aside from the American screenwriters involved on this (why?), that's my main problem with it. The locations looked shockingly amateurish, especially the scenes shot in Rome look ordinary. Ironically they used CGI for the final location which does not work, same for the CGI ghosts.

It still has the obligatory formula nods to Suspiria and Inferno and somehow it does feel related, it just lacks the drive of those movies. And it's really a shame given he came off two great Masters of horror episodes!

Last edited by Bumblefeet; 09-20-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 PM   #48

Jan 2011

Yes , to be more specific to quote Argento about the film
Quote:
with MOTHER OF TEARS?

DARIO ARGENTO: This time the story is put in the real world. Not closed in a house or in a museum. This is everywhere: in the airports, in the train station, on the streets – everywhere. There is something real. To show how life is under bad powers. We don’t understand, but it’s real. Bad powers – maybe it’s with the mask of politics, but these are bad powers, too. People are crazy, and the city explodes
So while the film came off as a little too "real" and unstylised, I appreciate the film for having quite a bit of social ressonance ten years on.

Last edited by 3Maters; 09-21-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblefeet View Post
Aside from the American screenwriters involved on this (why?)
Because they'd written Tobe Hooper's enjoyable Toolbox Murders remake. Which notably (and successfully) used ideas that had appeared in Dario Argento's Inferno.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

I think that people should really give Mother of Tears some significant slack as the budget and shooting schedule was a very different situation to either Suspiria or Inferno. This was a tough production.

It's also interesting to note that the film's Mater Lachrymarum death has significant impact when viewed on the cinema screen. It doesn't come across anywhere near as well on home cinema.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:58 AM   #51

Jan 2011

I really wanna see a negative 4k restoration since the DI was DNRed and edge enhanced. Having a more fimic image really benefits the picture. Even though the 35mm prints were struck from the grainremoved Di, it still gave it a more cinematic quality (at least thats how i remember it from 2008)

Last edited by 3Maters; 09-21-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #52
Power Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Because they'd written Tobe Hooper's enjoyable Toolbox Murders remake. Which notably (and successfully) used ideas that had appeared in Dario Argento's Inferno.
I actually saw Hooper's version screened at a filmfestival and given that movie's obvious lack of budget, I still liked it for its B-movie qualities. Compared to Hooper's early works it is thrash of course.

Perhaps unfair of me to single them out for their work on Mother of Tears, as so many other elements fail to impress; the cinematography which oddly looks devoid of color, let alone go for realism. The casting and acting, though that should be no surprise with Argento but the guy playing opposite Asia is a total bore as are the scenes with his kid.

Even Mater Lachrymarum with her fake boobs was a poor substitute for the magnificent cameo we got in Inferno. And the finale was a poor man's "Lord of illusions" rip off.

There is just something about Mother of Tears that makes it feel off and silly. Non Ho Sonno had an amazing chase sequence on the train whereas this has a silly chase scene ending in a book store. It's a world of difference to me in terms of quality.

And Asia Argento should have never starred in it. She was amazing in Stendhal, but with Mother her character is not that well defined, the backstory is silly and it's feels like one movie too many for Argento to cast her.

The one thing I did like from Mother was the monkey and the cult members, but they appear mostly at the beginning before the movie loses itself in exposition scenes.

I'd really have to think over upgrading this one for a new master lol.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #53

May 2011
Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyfa666 View Post
I didn't really like Suspiria or Inferno. This one is the same; not very good IMO.

I'm giving Dario Argento 2 more chances (Deep Red and Tenebrae); then he's off my list permanently. :-/
Then I would recommend the more straight stuff... Tenebrae or Opera.

If you didnīt like Suspiria or Inferno then you would probably feel that Deep Red is too slow.

Personally, I like all of them!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #54
Special Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

The piece with the witches going through Termini station was particularly embarrassing, with the intended air of blissful breaking of social norms just looking like a party of drunken women on their way to a Spice Girls reunion concert.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #55

Oct 2017
Rosenheim, GER

testing, testing, 1, 2
Old 12-12-2017, 01:10 AM   #56

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
The piece with the witches going through Termini station was particularly embarrassing, with the intended air of blissful breaking of social norms just looking like a party of drunken women on their way to a Spice Girls reunion concert.
And a man!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2017
Nashville

I enjoy the film. It's far from perfect, but there is a legitimate creepiness to it, and some of the gore pieces are very well crafted. It starts strong but it does unravel, and the ending is poor, but I recently bought the German mediabook Blu-ray and I'm glad to own it. I've rewatched it several times, and it remains a good entry. Up to the standards of Suspiria? Of course not; that was a film of its time, and will never be replicated. But interesting nonetheless.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Texas

Any chance or rumblings of this coming to Blu-ray in the U.S.?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Texas

My husband and I watched my DVD last night since I don't have the OOP Blu-ray. We've recently watched the trilogy because of the new Suspiria coming soon.
Anyway, it was the first time seeing Mother of Tears since it's original release. It has some good moments and the music score is good. I did find that it used nudity too much for no reason whatsoever.....which it didn't need. And the ending, my husband said, the Mother of Tears was probably called that because she was crying at her minuscule screen time.
And the very end with Asia and Micael's characters' laughing seemed so out of place. After going through what they just went through, you're gonna laugh like it was nothing?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #60
Special Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPat View Post
My husband and I watched my DVD last night
How did you like the appearance by Obi-Wan Nicolodi...?

own.jpg
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany