Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Mandy ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73
11 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

Top Gun (Blu-ray)
$9.96

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Autism or not, many get suspended here by sometimes saying the wrong thing. Get over it. Do something else until your ban is lifted. Go outside. Get some fresh air. Dalek, if you cant function outside of blu-ray.com then the moderators are doing you a favor by forcing you to take a week's break from blu-ray.com. That's free therapy. The best medicine for behavior that gets too intense (such as having the need to express oneself on a forum) NEEDS to be broken up with another activity, such as going outside.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 PM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby is Q View Post
Agreed, but again it's about whether the person needs accommodation and then whether or not they would want to accommodate someone's specific needs. When it comes to online communities, it's easier to just ignore the problem and then if it becomes too much you just eliminate the source of that problem.
Yes, you are right. I think human nature and 'pack mentality' can be a difficult hurdle with Autism though. As soon as the guy posted his comment I instantly saw a ton of (in my opinion) mocking gif's show up in front of my eyes. They didn't take long to show up.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #23
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Yes, you are right. I think human nature and 'pack mentality' can be a difficult hurdle with Autism though. As soon as the guy posted his comment I instantly saw a ton of (in my opinion) mocking gif's show up in front of my eyes. They didn't take long to show up.
It's only a reflection on them when they post that stuff.
I mean when someone posts something personal, and they get mocked it's just poor taste. IMO.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008

Still with this

Old 03-15-2016, 12:12 AM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimmelBlau View Post
It's only a reflection on them when they post that stuff.
I mean when someone posts something personal, and they get mocked it's just poor taste. IMO.
Of course (IMO)

Old 03-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #26
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruswarrior View Post
Still with this
So you come into a thread you are sick of to post a comment?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #28
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
I may not be getting the right end of the stick, but do you really think it would help you if every time you got into some form of trouble, that you could then rely on your autism to get you out of trouble and you could continue posting in the same way?

Wouldn't you prefer it if you were treated like the rest of us and whenever we break the rules, we get punished for it, and then know not to do something like that again? I get that perhaps you struggle to get your point across, and that when you believe in a point you're making you'll fight adamantly for it. But when it gets to a point where you're arguing over several pages and you can't see other people's viewpoints at all, perhaps you need to hold off a bit.

Last time you were suspended, I got a suspension as well for the same amount of time, first suspension I've got in years. I don't believe I did anything wrong, but it's kept me a tad more in check. But what I didn't think was that I needed to retaliate, or to explain myself. I actually thought I was suspended longer than I thought, ended up being a couple days when I thought it was going to be for a week. I think a day or two time out when things become a little heated might do some good, especially if you struggle to tell when you may be taking things perhaps too far. Treat everyone as equal I say, and then things may progress.
My stance is I don't think it should be a 'Get Out Of Jail Free card' with a major issue like verbal abuse or (depending on the content) racism (if someone's being abusive or there's use of a racist word then it's unacceptable no matter what and if I used the 'N' word or was abusive towards a member I wouldn't want to argue against a suspension) but I think for something that is debatable like trolling there needs to be a system in place to find out why said person appears like they're doing it. Because if it's due to behaviour linked to a mental disability, how can it be trolling?

Trolling is also a good example because it's really nothing more than a witch hunt. There's no proof that somebody is trolling, only personal judgements.

If the moderators/admin can't allow suspended members to argue their case over PM, maybe they could have conversations before suspending people over it to find out why they're posting in a certain way?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalekbuster523Bluray View Post
My stance is I don't think it should be a 'Get Out Of Jail Free card' with a major issue like verbal abuse or (depending on the content) racism (if someone's being abusive or there's use of a racist word then it's unacceptable no matter what and if I used the 'N' word or was abusive towards a member I wouldn't want to argue against a suspension) but I think for something that is debatable like trolling there needs to be a system in place to find out why said person appears like they're doing it. Because if it's due to behaviour linked to a mental disability, how can it be trolling?

Trolling is also a good example because it's really nothing more than a witch hunt. There's no proof that somebody is trolling, only personal judgements.

If the moderators/admin can't allow suspended members to argue their case over PM, maybe they could have conversations before suspending people over it to find out why they're posting in a certain way?
How do you stop people from pretending they have a condition every time they are suspended?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #30
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
How do you stop people from pretending they have a condition every time they are suspended?
I'm not sure about other mental disabilities but with autism you can get a card from The National Autistic Society where its soul purpose is to show to people to prove you have autism.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #31
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Maybe we can make a special section of the forum for the autistic to troll each other freely

Thanks given by:
Sky_Captain (03-18-2016), xander (04-03-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Is there a multiple personality disorder thread? I would like to argue with myself and call myself a troll and hope to be banned.

I think internet forums should not be categorized - we are all equals here.

If someone had Torrett's Syndrome here, now that would be quite a problem.

Thanks given by:
Foggy (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #33
Banned

Sep 2014
Vegas

Quote:

You posted 85 times in one thread in one day, most of them variations on a theme. It doesn't matter what your intentions were, you were trolling/post whoring.

You were given a short suspension and then immediately created a socket puppet account and started complaining - publicly - about your suspension and how your behavior should be overlooked because of your "mild case of autism." You're the reason the suspension turned into a week. You knew - or should have known - that it's against the rules to create a sock puppet, especially to get around a ban. This has all been addressed already, in your "Feedback Forum" thread.

Just like in the real world, claiming you have autism is not going to give you carte blanche to do or say whatever you want. If it's really that difficult for you to behave yourself, maybe it's best that you're leaving. I mean, you've clearly learned nothing from the week's suspension (or the other thread you started in the Feedback Forum,) so there's no reason to believe anything will change.

You seem like a nice enough guy, but you still have a lot of growing up to do...

Thanks given by:
Blu Titan (03-15-2016), Sky_Captain (03-18-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #34
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:

Yeah, but in real life would someone be considerate of your condition if you behaved the same way as you do on here? Would someone really tolerate it? Understanding only goes so far until someone's patients can be worn out. At the end of the day, you won't be offered special treatment when applying to jobs, working with co-workers, speaking with other people. So why should you get special treatment from an online forum. You should learn from mistakes made on here. I know it's can be a difficulty when it comes to communicating and it can be frustrating when you feel unfairly persecuted. But you shouldn't expect to be treated any differently from everyone else, because you simply won't get that same treatment in real life.

What would you want if you could be able to argue your case to the moderators?

Thanks given by:
WhySoBlu? (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #35
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoBlu? View Post
You posted 85 times in one thread in one day, most of them variations on a theme. It doesn't matter what your intentions were, you were trolling/post whoring.
Except:

1. Trolling is nothing more than a witch hunt.
2. To troll, the intention of the poster has to be to troll a thread.
troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

and

3. Connected to the above, if the posts are a result of a mental disability and not trying to troll to deliberately provoke other members then by definition they are not trolling.

Quote:
You were given a short suspension and then immediately created a socket puppet account and started complaining - publicly - about your suspension
Only because there's no other way to argue your case if you believe you have been wrongly punished, which is what all this is about. Somebody needs to make a stand so this forum will be more accomodating to those with mental disabilities in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Yeah, but in real life would someone be considerate of your condition if you behaved the same way as you do on here? Would someone really tolerate it?
You're talking as if I came out with a load of verbal abuse. I didn't. And if people weren't to tolerate what I said on here in real life when that only highlights a current major issue with the world in that there's not enough disability awareness.

Thanks given by:
Himmel (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #36
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

I feel bad because i can understand your viewpoint. However the internet isn't free speech or anything like that. Forums have rules and everyone regardless of personal issues need to follow them. Rules need to be black and white. I can understand being frustrated over a permanent ban, but a week suspension can be a blessing honestly. I took about 2 years off from this place voluntarily and it was fantastic honestly. Now I'm back to having fun here.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
The Road to Nowhere.

By your own post it's says trolling is nothing more than a witch hunt.
So maybe we place a scarlet letter on said members so they can be singled out as such.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #38
Power Member

May 2015
-
-

Quote:
Except:

1. Trolling is nothing more than a witch hunt.
2. To troll, the intention of the poster has to be to troll a thread.
troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

and

3. Connected to the above, if the posts are a result of a mental disability and not trying to troll to deliberately provoke other members then by definition they are not trolling.
No. Rules are not set in stone on any domain on the internet. It is completely at the discretion of the owners. Just because they have a rule in place does not mean they have to follow it to a T. If you can argue "I didn't mean to" then that would allow trolls to pretty much do whatever they want and later argue "I didn't mean to."

Quote:
Only because there's no other way to argue your case if you believe you have been wrongly punished, which is what all this is about. Somebody needs to make a stand so this forum will be more accomodating to those with mental disabilities in future.
I can understand it being frustrating that you can't argue your case and it's probably something that should be addressed. However, they don't have to accommodate anyone's needs. There are no inherent rights on the internet. It is again at the discretion of those running the show if they want to actually accommodate anyone's specific needs.

Quote:
You're talking as if I came out with a load of verbal abuse. I didn't. And if people weren't to tolerate what I said on here in real life when that only highlights a current major issue with the world in that there's not enough disability awareness.
Except there isn't a major issue in the real world.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #39
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
If I equate the amount of pages that you take in arguments to hours, I think people would get very tired of communicating with you, regardless of disability or not. While I do agree mental health is in need of more coverage, progress and studies in autism itself has come across leaps and bounds in your lifetime alone, heck, when I was born, someone suffering with autism would be written off, they used to be sent to separate schools and segregated from most other students. One of my longest friends has suffered from autism probably stronger than your own and he nearly was forced to go separate schools, and even when he wasn't, he was under constant supervision. But now, being treated equally has offered opportunities up like going to University, getting higher education.

You didn't answer my question before though, what would you expect to achieve if you were able to contact moderators after a suspension?

Old 03-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #40
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2012
USA

It's also hard to know who to trust Dalek, make of that what you will.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages