Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Star Trek: The Next Generation… $24.49 (2 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Dumbo 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 10-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #61
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Sure does. Another case where one could base everything on screencaps and be totally wrong. But, he can stick with his Japanese Blu-Ray, lol...
In case you wondered, which of course you didn’t, you just jumped to conclusion to make your point, but still, I had both, and had a chance to compare them in motion, back to back. So I know what I’m talking about. I’ll stick with my Japanese blu ray, and you can stick with your German UHD. Everybody can stick to what they like best.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #62
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhoppel View Post
I prefere the UHD to the BD. The latter looks blurry in comparison and with worse colour.
Sure. There are some who prefer T2 UHD to 2015 blu ray, so to each his own.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #63
Power Member

Oct 2013
UK

Even with the DNR, and it is a plenty, the UHD has much better compression than the JP Blu. I suppose it's more of a pick your poison situation here.

This cap shows artifacting on the JP Blu

And look at the detail on the trees and greenery

Sometimes the JP Blu does come out on top, like this cap for example which looks like the contrast on the UHD has been turned up to 11. I personally like both for various reasons.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #64

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsetSmiley View Post
Even with the DNR, and it is a plenty, the UHD has much better compression than the JP Blu. I suppose it's more of a pick your poison situation here.

This cap shows artifacting on the JP Blu

And look at the detail on the trees and greenery

Sometimes the JP Blu does come out on top, like this cap for example which looks like the contrast on the UHD has been turned up to 11. I personally like both for various reasons.
UHD stills are always tonemapped so judging contrast/highlights is a gamble.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #65
Power Member

Oct 2013
UK

Quote:
UHD stills are always tonemapped so judging contrast/highlights is a gamble.
True that, but I don't think I've seen UHD caps look this intense. Maybe it's the DNR making things look extra bright.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:58 AM   #66

Aug 2013

I watched the UHD for the first time last night. Outside of a theater, this is the best the film has ever looked. Tykwer uses color, light, and shadow to great effect in this film, and all those elements shine with HDR. The colors did not have the oversaturated look that the online screencaps had. This movie looked great.

I did also compare to the included blu-ray to see the difference. The blu must have been an earlier restoration, as it had more print damage and noisy grain. I like film grain, but the blu-ray's grain was not pretty from what I could see. The 4K image didn't have a waxy look or loss of detail to my eyes, and the improvements in color and black levels more than made up for any loss in grain. The blu looks washed out in comparison, with night scenes looking more grey than black and colors not having the same pop. There is also more detail to be seen in the scenes in the 4K image. I've seen this film over 10 times and I noticed new things this viewing.

If you're a fan of this film, I highly recommend this 4K disc. It's a very obvious improvement over the blu-ray.
Thanks given by:
chucktatum (02-17-2019), DMRI2006 (02-17-2019), UpsetSmiley (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #67
Power Member

Aug 2008

I always feel compelled to prevent people from buying shitty discs, so have to make my point again.

I own the disc as well and I say avoid and stick with a BD. The UHD is DNRd to shit and therefore the movie looks like crap now IMO. (hyperbole, but maybe it'll get the point across)

Going by the caps and some comments, I hoped the DNR would be the exception back then, but it's the other way round. And don't let anyone tell you that this is some magic kind of DNR that works wonders and retains the filmic look as I do remember reading in a review.

So those who care about a filmic look, stay away, those who think T2 looks exccellent, go grab this. The HDR is questionable as well IIRC. (still own the disc, but filed it under crap immediately....)

The BD isn't perfect either, but it doesn't offend my poor eyes.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (02-17-2019), jerclay (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #68

Jan 2011

The UHD is no T2 for sure. I have seen both. I would have preferred a straight transfer from DI as well, or better, a new 4K scan, but as it is I prefer to the BD which looks blurry and drab in comparison. Some regraining and this would look very nice. I hope they revisit this some time for a definitive version.

Last edited by benhoppel; 02-17-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #69
Power Member

Aug 2008

I'd like to point out that I didn't say that it looks like T2, even though that comparison isn't that far fetched IMO. And the comparison does suit if one considers how it might've looked resp. it being a pity - I can see the potential of the source for sure, but they ****ed it up (same as T2).

Reg. there coming a proper version: I doubt it. Perfum was done by the same bunglers (Constantin) responsible for the Neverending Story wax parade and here's still waiting for a proper version of that one... (the "Extended" resp. proper German version that is)

EDIT: Since I know that I tend to have rather strong opinions reg. pq... Of course others may still prefer this over the BD (that's what I meant with my initial T2 comment). But I found the DNR to be worse in motion than I expected going by the caps and people that are as offended by DNR as I am should stay away. Objectively it is crap.

Last edited by andreasy969; 02-17-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:11 AM   #70

Nov 2016

Quote:
The original version is in English so no subtitles needed for native English speakers.
Wrong. I'm English speaking but always use English subtitles due to not good hearing.

The lions share of US releases for the US market with English language still have "English Sub-titles for the hard of hearing".

Other countries don't do this for the hard of hearing in their own markets?

QUESTION: Only German subs for the 4K, but does the BD have English subs?

Thanks, Chris
Old 05-07-2019, 02:38 AM   #71

Jan 2018
Switzerland
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotASpeckOfCereal View Post
Wrong. I'm English speaking but always use English subtitles due to not good hearing.
You're not alone of course. I should add that it's always good to have English subs on foreign-exclusive releases like Perfume 4K as a back-up even with good hearing. I would cite The Nut Job 2 3D which was only released on blu-ray in Germany, recently: the audio mix is messed up on that particular release in that the speech track is completely turned down and drowned out (as several others have also testified in the 3D thread), yet the disc also lacks English subs to make up for the issue. It's the only such situation I've heard of but proves that it can happen.

Quote:
Other countries don't do this for the hard of hearing in their own markets?
Sure, of course. For example Perfume 4K has German subtitles for the Hard of hearing ("Deutsche untertitel für Hörgeschädigte").

Major US studios will basically always include English subtitles (simple or Hard of Hearing) on international blu-rays of their English-language films, whichever territory they're being released in, as long as they themselves (or a major partner-distributor) is releasing the blu-ray.

In the case of Perfume, it's a German 4K blu-ray (produced by Constanin Film) of a German film (with distribution rights being messy elsewhere), so even though the film's dialogue is English, English subs on the discs was always improbable.

Quote:
QUESTION: Only German subs for the 4K, but does the BD have English subs?
Unfortunately not. Same exact audio and subs as the 4K.

For what it's worth, the diction of all the cast is clear and precise throughout the film, unlike most US film dialogue (Ben Whishaw's diction is some of the best in the industry. Oh and of course the legendary John Hurt who narrates, RIP!).

Thanks given by:
NotASpeckOfCereal (05-07-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies