Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Apocalypse Now (Blu-ray)
€10.19
1 hr ago
The Lion King 4K (Blu-ray)
€33.99
10 hrs ago
Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
€24.40

Thor 4K (Blu-ray)
€26.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
€13.82
19 hrs ago
Hunter Killer (Blu-ray)
€8.99

Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
€29.99
16 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
€85.68
10 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
€27.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
€13.91

Lock Up 4K (Blu-ray)
€29.99

Us (Blu-ray)
€25.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 07-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #161

Feb 2012

Fox prepping a 4K HDR master of "Solaris". SS saw it three weeks ago.

https://filmmakermagazine.com/105670.../#.W1XjL8Inbcv
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (07-24-2018), Armchair NZ (07-23-2018), jamesdevil (05-10-2019), JimDiGriz (07-23-2018), PowellPressburger (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #162
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2016
New Zealand

^^ yay, sounds like there could be potential there for some more Blu-ray releases in future. Kinda glad I held off on getting this German one.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #163
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortmunder View Post
Fox prepping a 4K HDR master of "Solaris". SS saw it three weeks ago.

https://filmmakermagazine.com/105670.../#.W1XjL8Inbcv
Wow! Wasn't expecting that to be honest. I mean.. we waited years just to get this German one (which isn't perfect) but a properly restored 4K HDR one?! Damn...I'll be pre-ordering that. Should be a treat for the eyes and ears too.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:17 AM   #164
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013

In terms of those folks who own the blu ray of this film, is it an upgrade in terms of A/V quality, and worth the purchase?
Old 11-17-2018, 02:25 AM   #165
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
In terms of those folks who own the blu ray of this film, is it an upgrade in terms of A/V quality, and worth the purchase?
Most definitely. It seems to be the exact same transfer used for the DVD all those years ago, but it's in full 1080p, so there's far more fine detail.

Look at both George Clooney and also the pattern on the wall behind him in this shot:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...8&l=0&i=0&go=1

I feel this is one of the most beautiful studio films of the 2000s, so it's definitely worth the upgrade.

Be aware though, the German BD contains some sort of defect, and skips a single frame every few minutes. It wasn't that annoying to me, and it was worth it to see the film in HD, but others have found it more distracting.
Thanks given by:
Mystic (11-18-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 02:35 AM   #166
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

As far as Blu-rays go it's really bad, but it's a lot better than any DVD.
Thanks given by:
Mystic (11-18-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #167
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
As someone who watched the DVD yearly Id say definitely. But...seeing as a 4K transfer could be forthcoming I would definitely hang on unless you are desperate to see it soon.
Thanks given by:
Mystic (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 01:45 AM   #168
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Most definitely. It seems to be the exact same transfer used for the DVD all those years ago, but it's in full 1080p, so there's far more fine detail.

Look at both George Clooney and also the pattern on the wall behind him in this shot:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...8&l=0&i=0&go=1

I feel this is one of the most beautiful studio films of the 2000s, so it's definitely worth the upgrade.

Be aware though, the German BD contains some sort of defect, and skips a single frame every few minutes. It wasn't that annoying to me, and it was worth it to see the film in HD, but others have found it more distracting.
I think its criminal that such a visually striking film has yet to see a proper blu ray release in the US. So I thought I'd take a chance with the German blu ray release, and thought it would be worthwhile asking everyone about that release. From the sound of the comments that folks have posted in relation to my early post, it sounds like the German blu ray may be the best bet until a 4K release becomes available.

Last edited by Mystic; 11-18-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #169
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
I think its criminal that such a visually striking film has yet to see a proper blu ray release in the US. So I thought I'd take a chance with the German blu ray release, and thought it would be worthwhile asking everyone about that release. From the sound of the comments that folks have posted in relation to my early post, it sounds like the German blu ray may be the best bet until a 4K release becomes available.
Yep, and just because Fox has created a 4K master that Soderbergh signed off on, that's absolutely no indication of a forthcoming BD. One could be announced tomorrow, but just as easily, one might not come for years, if at all, especially with Fox about to be swallowed by Disney, which only wants it for its catalog to feed their streaming service, launching next year.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #170
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Yep, and just because Fox has created a 4K master that Soderbergh signed off on, that's absolutely no indication of a forthcoming BD. One could be announced tomorrow, but just as easily, one might not come for years, if at all, especially with Fox about to be swallowed by Disney, which only wants it for its catalog to feed their streaming service, launching next year.
Its annoying. Its precisely the sort of title that one of the boutique labels should be picking up like Arrow or Indicator. Hell, even Criterion. But I can still dream about a 4K release!
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (11-18-2018), Mystic (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #171
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013

Quote:
It's unfortunate that Fox was picked up by Disney. There's so many films that will probably never see the light of day on Blu ray now that Disney owns the company. The other frustrating thing about films like Solaris, is that while its been ignored as a candidate for a Region A release, so many other films see release after release on blu ray instead of films deserving of a first time release. I'd also like to see a blu ray of Soderbergh's other film, the Limey, which would look fantastic in high definition.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #172
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
I'd also like to see a blu ray of Soderbergh's other film, the Limey, which would look fantastic in high definition.
I'm frankly astonished The Limey hasn't had a Criterion release. They love him, and it's perfect for their line. The Limey and The Pianist are the two titles I'm perpetually shocked not so see with each monthly Criterion announcement.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 PM   #173
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013

Quote:
I'm frankly astonished The Limey hasn't had a Criterion release. They love him, and it's perfect for their line. The Limey and The Pianist are the two titles I'm perpetually shocked not so see with each monthly Criterion announcement.
I'm puzzled about that as well. These are two films that are very deserving of a quality blu ray release.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #174
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Soderbergh has also been talking up his recut version of Kafka for a number of years. The rights reverted back to him and he created a director's cut that's entirely dubbed into German, apparently. He has promised it will be released on BD with both cuts, I have to assume that'll be Criterion as well.

And his little experimental films have also reverted back to him (Full Frontal, Bubble, The Girlfriend Experience) I'd love to see a Criterion boxset of all of them. The theatrical cut of Full Frontal has never even been released on BD, only the extended cut.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #175
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013

I would be interested in Soderberg's "experimental" films if Criterion put together a nice box set of those films, I never cared for the more commercial films that he made such as Ocean's 11, etc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany