Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
22 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
18 hrs ago
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
21 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Annihilation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Death and Return of Superman: The Complete Film Collection Giftset 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.01

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 03-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #41
Special Member

Apr 2012
Kentucky

I loved the book -- and loved the movie. Any changes from adapting book to film, I felt, worked really well and helped with the pacing issues that bogged down the novel at times. That being said, they are both really, really good, and the 4KUHD, I have extremely high hopes for, and look forward to getting it on Day 1.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #42

Aug 2017

Anybody who has seen it, would you recommend the 3D?
Ive been Dolby Vinema everything...but if its done well, i wouldnt mind checking it out in 3D

Asking for myself and a friend lol
Old 03-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #43
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaGGInTheShadows View Post
Ive been Dolby Vinema everything...but if its done well, i wouldnt mind checking it out in 3D

is that a video enema ?
Thanks given by:
Gogoplata1980 (04-01-2018), Rhino73 (12-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #44

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
is that a video enema ?
ONLY the best enema!!!!
Thanks given by:
Dubstar (03-30-2018), Rhino73 (12-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Does anyone really expect a movie based on a book to be exactly as they imagined? They are different mediums. The screenplay was written by the author himself so it's not like they took his material and changed it without his input.
Thanks given by:
EbonDragon (04-01-2018), Gogoplata1980 (04-01-2018), Joe Siegler (04-06-2018), Nothing371 (03-30-2018), SwaGGInTheShadows (03-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #46
Special Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:

3D works excellent in this film. It really helps it become more immersive, especially in the sequences that take place inside the OASIS. It’s almost like Spielberg was trying emulate VR with the way he used 3D here and it really works (which, I assume was intentional given the story). I think it definitely adds to the film the way 3D added to films like Gravity and Avatar.

If you’re able to watch it in 3D definitely do so. I watched it in Laser IMAX 3D yesterday and I’m hoping I can watch it again that way next weekend (if time allows).

I’m watching it in a Dolby Cinema tonight and while I don’t expect it to be as fully immersive as the Laser IMAX 3D presentation, I do expect it will allow me to process the film better as I’ll be more relaxed and less adrenaline-rushed, lol.

Great movie overall, IMO. Not perfect and maybe not Spielberg’s best but definitely a great film to experience on the big screen (and especially in 3D).

I’m thinking I’ll be buying both the UHD and 3D versions (which I hardly ever do) when it gets released on home video.
Thanks given by:
DADDYCOOL187 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillington View Post
I was under the impression that spoilers are expected in the Movie sub-forum, whilst in the various Blu-ray sub-forums spoiler tags were a common courtesy; since some readers may be interested in discussions on PQ/AQ and availability without wanting to spoil the film itself if they haven't seen it - especially when a film is still very new!
Agreed. I just go ahead and block them since they'll probably do it again with another movie.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #48

Dec 2012

So excited to see this movie!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Seeing this tonight in Dolby Cinema.
Thanks given by:
bradnoyes (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 PM   #50
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:

From the horse's mouth:

Pre-order Blu-ray now up:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ready-pl...?skuId=6228661
Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #51

Jul 2017

I would like to add my review on this one.
I went to watch this film expecting it to be good only because Steve directed it.
I was completely taken by surprise. The movie is action from beginning to end. "think Mad Max Fury Road"......... OK maybe not as much, but definitely enough to keep you entertained for the 2 hours & 20 minutes of run time.

The movie was excellent. The CGI reminded me of Avatar. The idea reminded my of a blend between The Matrix, and Tron Legacy.
The collaboration on all the pop culture you get here is awesome. So many things from the 80's-Present. Music, Movies, Video Games, References, Anime, and more.

I went to see it at the Dolby Cinema and IMAX 3D.
Here is my comparison.

IMAX 3D, the image felt brighter, but thats probably because it was presented in 3D.
Even though the sound was impressive in the IMAX, it was nothing compared to Dolby.

Dolby Cinema, the image felt like it had more color pop. I noticed this also when I went to see Blade Runner 2049. I saw both IMAX and Dolby presentations.
As for the audio, the Dolby Cinema just about leaves everyone else in the dust with this one.
The audio is so powerful, you feel it within the seats, which are also awesome !
The recliners that Dolby uses are different from your everyday recliners that other theaters use. Hard to explain, but the whole seat feels like it moves as a cradle. Tilting the whole chair at an angle.

UHD release? day 1 for sure. Cannot wait to hear and see this at home. There are so many sounds in this film, and music that rocks !
Thanks given by:
CYMBOL (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 12:00 AM   #52
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2011
Reading, England

i saw it last night!

god damn was it amazing. 10/10 . my fav movie this year so far
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:21 AM   #53
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1776 View Post
I would like to add my review on this one.
I went to watch this film expecting it to be good only because Steve directed it.
I was completely taken by surprise. The movie is action from beginning to end. "think Mad Max Fury Road"......... OK maybe not as much, but definitely enough to keep you entertained for the 2 hours & 20 minutes of run time.

The movie was excellent. The CGI reminded me of Avatar. The idea reminded my of a blend between The Matrix, and Tron Legacy.
The collaboration on all the pop culture you get here is awesome. So many things from the 80's-Present. Music, Movies, Video Games, References, Anime, and more.

I went to see it at the Dolby Cinema and IMAX 3D.
Here is my comparison.

IMAX 3D, the image felt brighter, but thats probably because it was presented in 3D.
Even though the sound was impressive in the IMAX, it was nothing compared to Dolby.

Dolby Cinema, the image felt like it had more color pop. I noticed this also when I went to see Blade Runner 2049. I saw both IMAX and Dolby presentations.
As for the audio, the Dolby Cinema just about leaves everyone else in the dust with this one.
The audio is so powerful, you feel it within the seats, which are also awesome !
The recliners that Dolby uses are different from your everyday recliners that other theaters use. Hard to explain, but the whole seat feels like it moves as a cradle. Tilting the whole chair at an angle.

UHD release? day 1 for sure. Cannot wait to hear and see this at home. There are so many sounds in this film, and music that rocks !
true, but IMAX-Laser 12 channel sound is no slouch, it's the next best thing AFTER Dolby Atmos sound.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:29 AM   #54
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1776 View Post

Don't Dolby theaters have subs underneath each seat?
Old 03-31-2018, 04:40 AM   #55
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Don't Dolby theaters have subs underneath each seat?
they move/vibrate when loss bass kicks in ~ I personally find it super obnoxious and distracting.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Saw this tonight.

Hands down some of the best virtual cinematography since 'Avatar', nearly ten years ago.

I've missed this version of Spielberg so much. While I appreciate his Oscar-bait films, I hope it doesn't take him another ten years to step back into the blockbuster style of filmmaking.

This film absolutely ruled.

Looked and sounded terrific in Dolby Cinema. But I should point out, that the HDR is a bit subtle, and not overly colorful or saturated, like some might expect given the abundance of colorful VFX in the film. Everything just looks well balanced and realistic, as it should.

This will look very nice on UHD.
Thanks given by:
Anthos (03-31-2018), Nothing371 (03-31-2018), portishead (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

Quote:
they move/vibrate when loss bass kicks in ~ I personally find it super obnoxious and distracting.
the ladies love it though.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #58
Special Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
true, but IMAX-Laser 12 channel sound is no slouch, it's the next best thing AFTER Dolby Atmos sound.
It definitely is. This newer version of IMAX has, as I understand it: Front left and right, center, center height, four surrounds, and four heights; hence 12-channels. The layout is essentially very close to an 11 channel home Atmos setup, except that you get the extra height channel from the center height. And, as with all IMAX’s, each speaker is its own sub.

I re-watched it in Dolby Cinema last night (Laser IMAX 3D the day before) and while the sound was slightly more immersive compared to Laser IMAX’s 12 channel sound (slightly better pannings and object placement), you sacrifice the immersion of 3D which I still think adds substantially to the film given the vital VR-element in the story (and VR by definition is 3D).

Honestly, if anyone had to pick between watching it in 2D Dolby Cinema and regular 5.1 but in 3D, unless fully immersive sound was very, very important to you, I would recommend the 3D showing over the 2D Dolby Cinema one. You’d be sacrificing Atmos for 5.1 sound but I really think 3D added more to the immersion factor than sound did in this movie.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
It definitely is. This newer version of IMAX has, as I understand it: Front left and right, center, center height, four surrounds, and four heights; hence 12-channels. The layout is essentially very close to an 11 channel home Atmos setup, except that you get the extra height channel from the center height. And, as with all IMAX’s, each speaker is its own sub.

I re-watched it in Dolby Cinema last night (Laser IMAX 3D the day before) and while the sound was slightly more immersive compared to Laser IMAX’s 12 channel sound (slightly better pannings and object placement), you sacrifice the immersion of 3D which I still think adds substantially to the film given the vital VR-element in the story (and VR by definition is 3D).

Honestly, if anyone had to pick between watching it in 2D Dolby Cinema and regular 5.1 but in 3D, unless fully immersive sound was very, very important to you, I would recommend the 3D showing over the 2D Dolby Cinema one. You’d be sacrificing Atmos for 5.1 sound but I really think 3D added more to the immersion factor than sound did in this movie.
Quick question, doesn't Dolby do 3D screenings in the US? (Saw this in Dolby Cinema 3D and thought the 3D wasn't that great, but I've seen some amazing presentations in the format).
Old 03-31-2018, 08:15 PM   #60
Special Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion Soldier View Post
Quick question, doesn't Dolby do 3D screenings in the US? (Saw this in Dolby Cinema 3D and thought the 3D wasn't that great, but I've seen some amazing presentations in the format).
Dolby got to build one theater with their new technology in LA before they did an exclusive contract with AMC theaters in which all new Dolby Cinemas would get installed in AMC theaters (I believe this is in the US only; don’t know how long that contract is for). Unfortunately, shortly afterwards AMC announced that their Dolby Cinemas would show movies exclusively in 2D. Interestingly, they did play Titanic in 3D in about half of the Dolby Cinemas here in the US during its re-release in December of last year. Not sure if that was an exception (it seems to be since no other films since then have played in 3D in Dolby Cinemas here in the US). I think James Cameron really pushed for it and somehow he got them to play it in 3D in some of the locations.

That single, non-AMC Cinema with Dolby Technology in LA has been known to show films in 3D (I know I read The Martian played in 3D there), but again, that’s a non-AMC location.

The good thing about Laser IMAX is that it’s very similar to a Dolby Cinema but with a bigger screen and they do play films in 3D: It has immersive sound (less channels, but still with height speakers and very capable) and the projection has near-infinite contrast with actual-black black levels like a Dolby Cinema. It is slightly less bright but the difference is hardly noticeable to the naked eye. So basically it’s HDR and immersive sound like a Dolby Cinema but with IMAX’s proprietary technology. And thankfully, they seem to alternate their showings with half being in 3D and the other half being in 2D so people can choose which one to go to and not be forced into one or the other. So at least here in the US, Laser IMAX locations are the only places where you don’t have to compromise to get HDR, 3D and immersive sound all at the same time (which IMO, provides with the most overall immersive experience that you can currently ge for movies).

I really wish IMAX would expand their locations with their new technology or have AMC’s Dolby Cinemas alternate between 2D and 3D showings like IMAX does. That’s why I usually prefer Laser IMAX when I know a film is getting released in 3D. Perhaps Cameron will get AMC to play his Avatar sequels in Dolby Cinema 3D .
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies