Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #81
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedRron View Post
But has it happened so far in the 4K era? i
t seems most of the discussion in this thread is only about Hunger Games DE vs US with no clear cut winner.
So it would seem even if different distributors create their own masters, they all use the same source and pretty much do a flat copy-paste without too much tinkering otherwise I assume there would be more discussion and examples no?
The examples I gave earlier are all from the 4K era. General consensus, Geoff D notably excepted, is that Paramount's 4K of BRAVEHEART is superior to Fox's and Universal's GLASS is superior to Buena Vista's. It's a split vote between Sony's and StudioCanal's respective versions of CLIFFHANGER, as well as Paramount's and Sony's takes on ARRIVAL. Lionsgate's HALLOWEEN [1978] seems to handily trump Concorde's.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #82
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Has anyone actually compared the two versions of Glass for themselves though FM? Just because the US one has a higher bitrate that doesn't automatically mean it's the winner.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #83
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
When more than one studio owns the home video rights? I would say you are mistaken, though there are various cases where that it true (Buena Vista providing a master for THE PRESTIGE to Warner Bros. coming to mind, as well as StudioCanal sharing the RAMBO and THE DOORS masters with Lionsgate). In the majority of split-ownership, each studio takes their own "crack" at it which, frankly, I'm a fan of because if one region provides a subpar product, it gives us consumers another chance at it being done right elsewhere.
FYI it was the other way around with The Prestige, Warners handled everything from the transfer to the authoring, all Disney did was distribute it themselves in the US. And StudioCanal didn't just share the masters with LG for those films you mention, in some cases they are the EXACT same discs eg T2 and Evil Dead 2, and in the case of the Rambos they authored North American-specific discs for Lionsgate.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #84
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Has anyone actually compared the two versions of Glass for themselves though FM? Just because the US one has a higher bitrate that doesn't automatically mean it's the winner.
Just the sense I got from the GLASS-specific thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
FYI it was the other way around with The Prestige, Warners handled everything from the transfer to the authoring, all Disney did was distribute it themselves in the US. And StudioCanal didn't just share the masters with LG for those films you mention, in some cases they are the EXACT same discs eg T2 and Evil Dead 2, and in the case of the Rambos they authored North American-specific discs for Lionsgate.
Forgive the muddling of who did what, but the greater point remains that sometimes one studio shares with another (or concedes the responsibility to another), but many times, each studio takes its own respective crack at a transfer.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:41 PM   #85

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
The examples I gave earlier are all from the 4K era. General consensus, Geoff D notably excepted, is that Paramount's 4K of BRAVEHEART is superior to Fox's and Universal's GLASS is superior to Buena Vista's. It's a split vote between Sony's and StudioCanal's respective versions of CLIFFHANGER, as well as Paramount's and Sony's takes on ARRIVAL. Lionsgate's HALLOWEEN [1978] seems to handily trump Concorde's.
OK, so in all the cases you mention, the US discs are superior to the imports.
Any imports that are superior to their US counterparts that I need to be aware of?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 AM   #86
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedRron View Post
OK, so in all the cases you mention, the US discs are superior to the imports.
Any imports that are superior to their US counterparts that I need to be aware of?
The only one that comes to mind is the international Sony edition of BLADE RUNNER 2049, which is superior to the filtered U.S. Warner Bros. version.
Thanks given by:
ratedRron (06-07-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies