Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: A Dog's Purpose $8.99 (77% claimed)
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (4 hours left)
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (17% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Thor 4K (Blu-ray)
€26.99
54 min ago
Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
€24.40

The Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
€14.46
14 hrs ago
Hunter Killer (Blu-ray)
€8.99

Lock Up 4K (Blu-ray)
€29.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
€27.99

Sauerkrautkoma (Blu-ray)
€8.99

Freaks of Nature (Blu-ray)
€3.00

The Huntsman: Winter's War (Blu-ray)
€4.27

The Musketeers Season 3 (Blu-ray)
€7.99

Us (Blu-ray)
€25.97

The Musketeers Season 2 (Blu-ray)
€7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 11-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #21

Jun 2016

Well I wrote I am just plain honest here. Apologies if the straight wording sounds harsh. It's a release for the German market which hasn't seen any of the films released, except for the original. So we're doing a box set only. The Blues Brothers e.g. got the collectible release for the Deluxe Edition, plus two trimmed down versions, but not a vanilla release.

To be frank again: What I dislike is pushing someone with the threat that something illegal is going to happen if one does not do as recommended. That is never the basis for a discussion at an equal footing. It's like telling someone the car is going to be stolen if the price does not come down.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (11-08-2018), Andrew354 (11-08-2018), Babu93 (11-08-2018), dawnofthediscs (11-08-2018), Douglas R (01-22-2019), greyhound1 (04-26-2019), Jar Jar Stinks (12-02-2018), lemonski (11-17-2018), Leslie Dame (11-08-2018), Reduman (03-05-2019), walkabout (02-21-2019)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #22

Jan 2012

turbine, will there be English subtitles for all the six features? And can you tell us the size of the box?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #23

Nov 2018

Please let This have English audio and english subtitles
Old 11-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
Power Member

Jun 2010

DTM lowered the price to 129.99€.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine View Post
Well I wrote I am just plain honest here. Apologies if the straight wording sounds harsh. It's a release for the German market which hasn't seen any of the films released, except for the original. So we're doing a box set only.
Like I said, it's your choice entirely. I don't understand it, but it's yours. Nothing anyone here can do about it. Companies rarely listen to the consumer voice once they get an idea in their head.

Quote:
To be frank again: What I dislike is pushing someone with the threat that something illegal is going to happen if one does not do as recommended. That is never the basis for a discussion at an equal footing. It's like telling someone the car is going to be stolen if the price does not come down.
I guess that was my turn to be frank, then. But like you, I'm just being honest. You WILL lose a significant volume of sales. I don't want it to be that way. I WANT to give you my money! But because I (and plenty of Germans, I'm sure) don't want an entire box set, you're not interested in it (I mean, completism aside, there are more poor Psycho films than good ones -- but that's besides the point).

Your equivalency isn't really fair either.

It would go something more like this...

Customer: I'd like to buy this BMW for €30,000.

Dealer: Certainly, Sir. That'll be €175,000.

Customer: Wait, what?

Dealer: It's a package. You get the BMW, the Ferrari, and the Volvo.

Customer: But I only want one car.

Dealer: Sorry, Sir. We don't sell single cars. You have to buy all three. That's how we do it in Germany.
Thanks given by:
Your pal, Jim (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #26

Aug 2014
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaysaysHAHA View Post
Does anybody know what region this will be?
Answered further up:

Quote:
It's a joint release by Turbine & Universal and will therefore be ABC.
Thanks given by:
shaysaysHAHA (11-13-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014

This looks really sweet, and I’ll definitely consider picking it up, though I guess it’s possible we could get the uncut version separately ourselves at some point? Also, I guess this won’t have Scream Factory’s extras for II, III, and IV.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #28
Power Member

Jun 2010

No info on extras yet except that it's 12 hours of them...
Old 11-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

I can understand Markgway's frustration with the release model. I can understand Turbine wanting to maximise sales of this release.

Maybe this uncut version will be released in a cheaper version down the line, maybe it will get licenced out to another label in another market. It certainly deserves to be seen.
Thanks given by:
1234567? (11-15-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #30
Special Member

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
Of course you're perfectly entitled to put out these titles as you wish, but there's a touch of arrogance in your stance and tone.

You do realise the lack of an individual release will not only diminish sales but encourage bootlegs?

That's money you could be making.

If PSYCHO (uncut) was €20 solo, just 50 sales (which you would get from this thread alone) would be a €1,000.

Instead you miss out on €1,000 and create 50 new torrent users.

Do I want PSYCHO? Yes. Am I paying €150 for a box set I don't want ? No. But then you know your market, right?
Is that how it works though? Is that how these scumbag pirates are created?
If there's something I want a physical copy of, I'm not going throw a hissy fit and try to torrent it online.
I'll wait until somebody gets the rights to it and buy it from them.

Last edited by dawnofthediscs; 11-08-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Thanks given by:
1234567? (11-15-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #31
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Well I wrote I am just plain honest here. Apologies if the straight wording sounds harsh. It's a release for the German market which hasn't seen any of the films released, except for the original. So we're doing a box set only. The Blues Brothers e.g. got the collectible release for the Deluxe Edition, plus two trimmed down versions, but not a vanilla release.

turbine is the remake remastered ? is it the same one from the Box set in Australia ? The italian one is pure hack job
Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #32
Special Member

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaysaysHAHA View Post
Does anybody know what region this will be?
All region
Old 11-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #33

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
Also, I guess this won’t have Scream Factory’s extras for II, III, and IV.
You will. They're included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHutt View Post
No info on extras yet except that it's 12 hours of them...
Well, erm, yeah, if you'd let me answer instead of guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drush9999 View Post
I can understand Markgway's frustration with the release model. I can understand Turbine wanting to maximise sales of this release.
Well yes and no. Yes, it's been a year and lots of work so yes, we go for the full monty first. But the process wasn't just the digital bits and pieces, but also tracking down really good photos, artworks, etc., so it's going to be one giant coffee table thing. I thought someone asked about size... This has about A4 or letter size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drush9999 View Post
Maybe this uncut version will be released in a cheaper version down the line, maybe it will get licenced out to another label in another market. It certainly deserves to be seen.
This is a Turbine & Universal joint product, and it's locked from int'l sublicensing for quite some years. If there'd be plans for products b and c, and I'd be free to talk, I would. But I haven't even seen plans. We've all been working on this; in fact, while I am writing this, my machine is rendering some audio files. We've tracked down some nice audio tracks, e.g. multi channel audio, where older / other releases only had mono etc.

So for clarification... ALL discs are fresh discs, no ready-made discs have been used. Every single film is newly authored and compressed. Also the remake (but I am going to double check).
Thanks given by:
1234567? (11-15-2018), Andrew354 (11-08-2018), Douglas R (01-22-2019), drush9999 (11-08-2018), GeoffOliver (11-09-2018), knives>ramona (12-05-2018), latehong (11-09-2018), Leslie Dame (11-08-2018), postmodel (11-09-2018), XGEEKEDGERX (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #34
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Okay! Okay! Okay! Okay!

Thanks given by:
1234567? (11-15-2018), startrekkin58 (11-10-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #35
Special Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
You will. They're included.

Well yes and no. Yes, it's been a year and lots of work so yes, we go for the full monty first. But the process wasn't just the digital bits and pieces, but also tracking down really good photos, artworks, etc., so it's going to be one giant coffee table thing. I thought someone asked about size... This has about A4 or letter size.

This is a Turbine & Universal joint product, and it's locked from int'l sublicensing for quite some years. If there'd be plans for products b and c, and I'd be free to talk, I would. But I haven't even seen plans. We've all been working on this; in fact, while I am writing this, my machine is rendering some audio files. We've tracked down some nice audio tracks, e.g. multi channel audio, where older / other releases only had mono etc.

So for clarification... ALL discs are fresh discs, no ready-made discs have been used. Every single film is newly authored and compressed. Also the remake (but I am going to double check).
Will Psycho Uncut have the original mono audio?
Old 11-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #36
Expert Member

Feb 2015
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Turbine,

Thank you for taking the time (and having the patience) to answer all our questions.

If I may also ask...

Will your set include 'The Psycho Legacy' feature-length documentary that the Australian set had ?

And can you confirm that all the films will include the original English language audio (in addition to German dubs / subtitles).

Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

I wonder if this will retain thr DNR of the Universal BD.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
And can you confirm that all the films will include the original English language audio (in addition to German dubs / subtitles).
That is safe to assume. Turbine always has English audio on English-languaged movies.
Thanks given by:
Andrew354 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofthediscs View Post
Is that how it works though? Is that how these scumbag pirates are created?
If there's something I want a physical copy of, I'm not going throw a hissy fit and try to torrent it online.
I'll wait until somebody gets the rights to it and buy it from them.
I think we're not talking about "pirates" in the traditional sense. When I was younger pirates would hard copy stuff and then sell it. That was a very common thing. I mean, loads of people would buy exact copies rather than originals just to save a couple of quid. Today the internet has reduced that sort of piracy to a minimum and the debate is more nuanced. You simply don't need pirates anymore. You just need one person to share a file (usually for free) and the user does the rest. The only thing that costs is a blank disc.

If you want to wait for a legit release (that may or may not come along) that's absolutely fine. But I think that puts you in a minority (in the real word if not perhaps this forum). Life's too short to miss out on something because a company wants to control what you buy, when, and how. Yes, they have the legal right. But are we really surprised if many people don't accept that argument?

As it happens I already have a custom of the uncut Psycho. I would like to buy a legit a copy but I won't play ball. The company made its decision, I've made mine. But if I didn't have the film at all and wanted it would I wait on the off chance of someone else (Shout for example) making it available? Honestly, no I wouldn't. Life's too short and at the end of it no one's going to pat you on the back for all the films you didn't download.

Yes, I'm cynical, but Turbine's own frankness deserves similar frankness from me. I doubt I'm saying anything they don't already know, but rather I'm speaking an uncomfortable truth, one that perhaps others would agree with but prefer not to say.

EDIT:

Quote:
This is a Turbine & Universal joint product, and it's locked from int'l sublicensing for quite some years.
There you go. Straight from the horse's mouth. Enjoy the wait.

I find it funny that some people actually thanked this post, but whatever...
Thanks given by:
1234567? (11-15-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:18 AM   #40

Apr 2010
UK

From my perspective, Universal haven't bothered to put out an uncut version themselves after all this time, so it's down to a label like Turbine to show the initiative. Sales of physical media are dropping so we should expect to have to pay more for worthwile projects like this, and Turbine rightly want to maximise the return on their investment to start with. The release may cost more than I'm willing to pay, but that's fine, it needs to be out there. Based on previous releases from Turbine and other German distributors, I suspect this won't be the only release this gets and we may see more affordable options in the future. If so then great, if not this will be one that got away. I'm resigned to not being able to own every disc that I want.
Thanks given by:
dawnofthediscs (11-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany