Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Zombieland 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49
9 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Dumbo 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 04-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #721
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
HDR can greatly exacerbate noise, so what seems like a thin layer of grain/noise in x source can become a raging firestorm of it in HDR.
You and Ruined keep saying this, but I have to say other than a couple titles like Ghostbusters I've never really seen this as an issue. Usually grain looks more refined to me, not exacerbated. I even liked the grain in Ghostbusters honestly, but I'm a grain lover I guess.

And surely the answer would be a more subtle HDR grade rather than DNR? DNR is never the answer, IMO, and I'd rather subtle or even no HDR grading rather than DNR. I guess I just feel the more this gets said and accepted the more common DNR on UHD will be, and if it's gets more common I'll likely be sticking with BD more often.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #722
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Dry County

What's to keep them from DNR'ing blu-rays? Do you think this is an issue that will be only left on the UHD front? More and more people (especially those growing up now) are wanting that digital, no grain look. Studios are going to give them that. Whether it's on blu-ray or UHD.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:05 AM   #723
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
You and Ruined keep saying this, but I have to say other than a couple titles like Ghostbusters I've never really seen this as an issue. Usually grain looks more refined to me, not exacerbated. I even liked the grain in Ghostbusters honestly, but I'm a grain lover I guess.

And surely the answer would be a more subtle HDR grade rather than DNR? DNR is never the answer, IMO, and I'd rather subtle or even no HDR grading rather than DNR. I guess I just feel the more this gets said and accepted the more common DNR on UHD will be, and if it's gets more common I'll likely be sticking with BD more often.
Of course you don't, because there's been a lot of 'grain management' going on to keep a lid on it, not necessarily on Sony stuff (though Cliffhanger says 'hi there!') but on most of the other studios' gear for sure. And given how several recent shot-on-film 4K masters have had varying degrees of fudgery (Grease, Gladiator, Gump, the Nolan UHDs, Alien, as well as digitally shot shows like Deadpool and 10 Cloverfield) then I think the DNR apocalypse is already upon us. It's nice to have some negativity from you though, given how you were complaining in another thread that it was getting you down when other people were persisting with their own complaints on a movie you thought you looked fine. The foot's on the other hand now!

You'll probably think I'm treating you like an idiot (again) by saying this but with HDR you are literally exposing areas of the image that were otherwise clipped away before, those areas contain grain just like any other part of the image as captured. I can force HDR on my TV and/or player (HDR10, DV, HLG) and when done to most SDR content it amps the grain up like a mother****er. But note that I said it CAN have that effect in my previous post, it won't have this effect all of the time but when it does we've just gotta hope they get it right if/when they choose to DNR it.

BTW would you say there was more visible grain or less visible grain in Ghostbusters 4K when compared to the Mi4K 1080p Blu-ray?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:17 AM   #724
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Fair points. I guess I'm saying it's been rare to see DNR that bothered me on UHD, until now. The scenes in Batman Begins and Cliffhanger surely, and of course T2, but I haven't seen grain OR noise reduction as a big issue with the format before recently. Noise reduction only bothers me when it gives that waxy smooth non-film-like look, and I saw that look a lot in Winter Soldier.

I thought the UHD of Ghostbusters had more grain, yes. I'm a grain lover and ate it up like a sirloin steak but that's one rare disc where I "get" why people complained.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #725
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Anyone notived banding on few scenes (mainly on the walls). Example: the scene where Stark meets Parker in his home. Overall PQ is average with few standout scenes Cap trilogy on UHD has been a disappointing experience for me when compared to Avengers and Ultron. The entire trilogy looks as if they took the BD and applied HDR grading using software presets.

Someone here said they liked the PQ of CA2 over the rest and I kind of agree.

Last edited by lgans316; 04-28-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #726
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I noticed some banding in Winter Soldier when Cap and Widow go to the army base at night, but my Samsung seems to have more banding than some other setups so I didn't harp on it.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #727
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I noticed some banding in Winter Soldier when Cap and Widow go to the army base at night, but my Samsung seems to have more banding than some other setups so I didn't harp on it.
I remember seeing that on my LG C8 OLED. Noticed banding in 2 places on this disc (one where German special forces get upstairs to grab Winter Soldier in the flat and the scene in Parker's flat where Stark meets him).
Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #728
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018

No banding I saw, Sony set and Panafonics player
Thanks given by:
Fat Phil (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #729
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS.T.G. View Post
No they sounded solid. Nothing great but solid.
I think people are hearing the original mixes mixes for near field and finding out what I have said for years.
Disney Atmos mixes are crap in cinemas well before they got home.
Thanks given by:
ROSS.T.G. (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #730
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
No banding I saw, Sony set and Panafonics player
Interesting. I will let you guys know the exact time window tonight. It only appears for couple of seconds though and is quite easy to.miss.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:51 AM   #731

Feb 2019

Any news on Iron Man 1-3 in 4K?
Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #732
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSullivanTV View Post
Yes, I believe I heard August, with the THORs in September (or maybe it was the other way around). Basically, late summer.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #733

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSullivanTV View Post
There's already another thread for this...

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=317066
Old 04-29-2019, 11:18 PM   #734
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

I have a B6 OLED and OPPO UDP-203, no banding on my set.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:23 PM   #735
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

No banding on the walls here either.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #736

Feb 2011

I've just ordered the 4K version of this movie. The 4K version has no IMAX for the airport fight. Is it also worth getting the 3D version because of the IMAX for the airport battle?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #737

Feb 2018
Default 4k

Ant-Man, Guardians 1 and Doctor Strange have just been confirmed for UHD BluRay release 10/10 in Germany.

https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-news/...4k_erhaeltlich
Thanks given by:
B72 (06-05-2019), TheDarkBlueNight (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #738
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I've just ordered the 4K version of this movie. The 4K version has no IMAX for the airport fight. Is it also worth getting the 3D version because of the IMAX for the airport battle?
Not really. The airport battle only really benefits from the IMAX AR when
[Show spoiler]Ant-Man becomes Giant-Man
(which is like five minutes of screentime at the most).

The 3D overall is pretty good though, it's just not worth it if you're only buying it for IMAX.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #739

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Not really. The airport battle only really benefits from the IMAX AR when
[Show spoiler]Ant-Man becomes Giant-Man
(which is like five minutes of screentime at the most).

The 3D overall is pretty good though, it's just not worth it if you're only buying it for IMAX.
I remember being underwhelmed with the 3D. Was taking my glasses off to check if the image was 'blurry' because of the weak to medium 3D. I don't recall the aspect ratio change at all so couldn't have left much of an impression on me.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #740
Power Member

Apr 2011

Can anyone with the US version say if their disc includes the proper HDR metadata MaxFALL/MaxCLL?

I know the other titles don't, up to and including Captain Marvel. I noticed the Captain America discs that I have do include the metadata. I was wondering if this is something Disney is finally starting to do (odd they would omit CM, though), or maybe if it's because I got the UK Trilogy release? If it's the latter, does anyone know if their releases of other titles include the metadata?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies