Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99
 
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Hitchcock: British International Pictures Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49
 
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$56.99
 
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Holiday (Blu-ray)
$29.39
13 hrs ago
A Discovery of Witches (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Female Prisoner Scorpion: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.05
13 hrs ago
The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Opips2 Opips2 is offline
Special Member
 
Opips2's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
6
175
10
1
Question Please Stop Being Addicted To Emotiva!!!!

I heard people said Emotiva Amplifier is so awesome. it's better sound.



still same as other a brand company amplifier?

for example
rotel, outlaw audio, and JBL amplifier etc......same enchanced sound???

YES or NO?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
sheedoe sheedoe is offline
Senior Member
 
sheedoe's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Brooklyn, New York
28
133
4
Default

Actually Emotiva doesn't sound enhanced at all. It sounds very neutral, as quality amps are supposed to .

Its the amps in the low-end receivers that sound enhanced, especially on the high end frequencies to give you a "wow" effect. They are compensating for their lack of raw power. Emotiva does not!

Last edited by sheedoe; 02-06-2009 at 06:49 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Opips2 Opips2 is offline
Special Member
 
Opips2's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
6
175
10
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe View Post
Actually Emotiva doesn't sound enhanced at all. It sounds very neutral, as quality amps are supposed to .

Its the amps in the low-end receivers that sound enhanced, especially on the high end frequencies to give you a "wow" effect. They are compensating for their lack of raw power. Emotiva does not!
thanks,

People are hype about Emotiva!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
sheedoe sheedoe is offline
Senior Member
 
sheedoe's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Brooklyn, New York
28
133
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opips2 View Post
thanks,

People are hype about Emotiva!!!
And their pricing is also a factor. I bought my IPS-1 for ~$1200 last year. You can now get the UPA-7 for half that. Thats a steal @ that price!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Many manufacturers such as the companies listed in the Amplifier Manufacturers make great amplifiers. What makes Emotiva unique is that their amplifiers are very good and cheap. The reason they are cheap is because Emotiva only sells their products through the Internet. You cannot buy Emotiva amplifiers in stores.

Emotiva is not better than other amplifiers. Many people buy Emotiva amplifiers because they are cheaper, not because they are better.

People on this forum sometimes make exaggerated claims about their purchases and push them on everybody. The problem is that most of them have purchased their first amplifier, receiver, speakers, or TV and they need to justify the expenditures.

We have the same problem with Elemental Designs subwoofers. There are many other companies that make great subwoofers. However, ED is all that we hear about. You can find some great subwoofers from these Subwoofer Manufacturers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
Opips2 Opips2 is offline
Special Member
 
Opips2's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
6
175
10
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe View Post
And their pricing is also a factor. I bought my IPS-1 for ~$1200 last year. You can now get the UPA-7 for half that. Thats a steal @ that price!
WHAT?!?

funny world funny people funny life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
aramis109 aramis109 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
aramis109's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI
10
360
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Many manufacturers such as the companies listed in the Amplifier Manufacturers make great amplifiers. What makes Emotiva unique is that their amplifiers are very good and cheap. The reason they are cheap is because Emotiva only sells their products through the Internet. You cannot buy Emotiva amplifiers in stores.

Emotiva is not better than other amplifiers. Many people buy Emotiva amplifiers because they are cheaper, not because they are better.

People on this forum sometimes make exaggerated claims about their purchases and push them on everybody. The problem is that most of them have purchased their first amplifier, receiver, speakers, or TV and they need to justify the expenditures.

We have the same problem with Elemental Designs subwoofers. There are many other companies that make great subwoofers. However, ED is all that we hear about. You can find some great subwoofers from these Subwoofer Manufacturers.
Very true. The other problem here though is that for many (including myself!) it's their first real foray into home theater audio. So... of course it blows away the TV speakers, or the HTiB system they had before, or the Emotiva will sound better (due to the power handling) than their low-end receiver. As such, you get a review without any kind of tempered look at other products. It's why I'm always very careful to relate my experiences with what I've heard and what I own.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Halcro 1 Halcro 1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Halcro 1's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Everywhere
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opips2 View Post
thanks,

People are hype about Emotiva!!!
Im not .. Im shure most people like em because . They are better than a reciever .....And most probabally never heard anyother HT amp of higher quality...Classe, McIntosh, Tag Mclaren ,,Theta ,, and < Parasound ,, and of course my favorite Halcro .... I had a Musical Fidelity HT-600 and a Parasound (Kind of overrated) Then my Halcro .... So for the Money the Emotiva is a very big bang for the buck product , so thats why people like it , just like the ED A300 sub .... People like it because for the money its an overachiever ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Halcro 1 Halcro 1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Halcro 1's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Everywhere
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Many manufacturers such as the companies listed in the Amplifier Manufacturers make great amplifiers. What makes Emotiva unique is that their amplifiers are very good and cheap. The reason they are cheap is because Emotiva only sells their products through the Internet. You cannot buy Emotiva amplifiers in stores.

Emotiva is not better than other amplifiers. Many people buy Emotiva amplifiers because they are cheaper, not because they are better.

People on this forum sometimes make exaggerated claims about their purchases and push them on everybody. The problem is that most of them have purchased their first amplifier, receiver, speakers, or TV and they need to justify the expenditures.

We have the same problem with Elemental Designs subwoofers. There are many other companies that make great subwoofers. However, ED is all that we hear about. You can find some great subwoofers from these Subwoofer Manufacturers.
Couldent have said it better ...BRAVO
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Purplegrasshopper Purplegrasshopper is offline
Expert Member
 
Purplegrasshopper's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Las Vegas, NV
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Many manufacturers such as the companies listed in the Amplifier Manufacturers make great amplifiers. What makes Emotiva unique is that their amplifiers are very good and cheap. The reason they are cheap is because Emotiva only sells their products through the Internet. You cannot buy Emotiva amplifiers in stores.

Emotiva is not better than other amplifiers. Many people buy Emotiva amplifiers because they are cheaper, not because they are better.

People on this forum sometimes make exaggerated claims about their purchases and push them on everybody. The problem is that most of them have purchased their first amplifier, receiver, speakers, or TV and they need to justify the expenditures.

We have the same problem with Elemental Designs subwoofers. There are many other companies that make great subwoofers. However, ED is all that we hear about. You can find some great subwoofers from these Subwoofer Manufacturers.
Here's the problem with your post though. Many, and I'd even venture to say the majority, of people reading these threads (myself included) are new to HTs. They might have a little bit of knowledge here and there, but are for the most part armatures, more so with audio I think than video. When you throw a list of what, 200+ (I didn't count them all) manufactures of subs and amps, that is a little bit intimidating. I don't know anyone who has the time to click on every single one of those links and research every single sub and amp out there. So what ends up happening is that people gravitate towards products that are getting the most attention (i.e. Onkyo, Polk, ED, Emotiva, etc.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegrasshopper View Post
Here's the problem with your post though. Many, and I'd even venture to say the majority, of people reading these threads (myself included) are new to HTs. They might have a little bit of knowledge here and there, but are for the most part armatures, more so with audio I think than video. When you throw a list of what, 200+ (I didn't count them all) manufactures of subs and amps, that is a little bit intimidating. I don't know anyone who has the time to click on every single one of those links and research every single sub and amp out there. So what ends up happening is that people gravitate towards products that are getting the most attention (i.e. Onkyo, Polk, ED, Emotiva, etc.)
I understand what you are saying. I only gave those two Manufacturers threads as an example. Normally, I don't do that. I created those threads for reference purposes only.

God knows how many times I have tried to give people different options on speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and subwoofers. Every time, you get countless posts from people with limited knowledge who try to push their own equipment. Even when it comes to technical questions, it is amazing the amount of incorrect information that spreads around like a virus.

I have been using amplifiers and subwoofers for over 30 years. There is not a single instant where I have tried to push my own equipment. When people ask me about them, I provide them with information. Some of the members who do not want to be overwhelmed by incorrect information send private messages to me and ask their technical questions. My PM inbox is getting filled up very quickly. Most people do not realize that I do this as a volunteer. I spent a lot of time creating all the threads with sticky for the benefit of the members. My only compensation comes from their satisfaction.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
Intamin Intamin is offline
Power Member
 
Intamin's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Houston
35
318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Many manufacturers such as the companies listed in the Amplifier Manufacturers make great amplifiers. What makes Emotiva unique is that their amplifiers are very good and cheap. The reason they are cheap is because Emotiva only sells their products through the Internet. You cannot buy Emotiva amplifiers in stores.

Emotiva is not better than other amplifiers. Many people buy Emotiva amplifiers because they are cheaper, not because they are better.

People on this forum sometimes make exaggerated claims about their purchases and push them on everybody. The problem is that most of them have purchased their first amplifier, receiver, speakers, or TV and they need to justify the expenditures.

We have the same problem with Elemental Designs subwoofers. There are many other companies that make great subwoofers. However, ED is all that we hear about. You can find some great subwoofers from these Subwoofer Manufacturers.
Very well said! The lack of originallity, or the unwillingness to audition and listen to different speakers/amps/receivers is sort of disheartening when you figure how much money will be spent on these purchases and how long they are meant to last. I'm not trying to slam emotive/polk/ed, but some originallity would be nice around here. I think there are a lot of other great companies that many people are over looking simply due to the fact that all that can generally be found here is the same few brands. All of the companies mentioned above do make good products, but I believe, and I'm sure there are plenty of others that would agree, that there is better to be had for a little more, or even the same price if you shop the used market.

The other thing to remember with Emotiva is that a lot of people haven't exactly heard other amps, so they don't have a way to compare them. Obviously a 200wpc amp will have more dynamics/bass than a 100wpc receiver, hence why a lot of people go nuts and say it's such a great amp, just due to not hearing anything else. I would say take a lot of reviews with a grain of salt. However, there are a few emotiva owners on here that have tried all sorts of amps, so I don't want to make a blanket statement saying that all people who own emotiva are new to amps. I guess what I'm getting at is just do some research before jumping on board with the rest of the members here and do realize there are a lot of great amp/speaker manufacturers out there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #13
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I understand what you are saying. I only gave those two Manufacturers threads as an example. Normally, I don't do that. I created those threads for reference purposes only.

God knows how many times I have tried to give people different options on speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and subwoofers. Every time, you get countless posts from people with limited knowledge who try to push their own equipment. Even when it comes to technical questions, it is amazing the amount of incorrect information that spreads around like a virus.

I have been using amplifiers and subwoofers for over 30 years. There is not a single instant where I have tried to push my own equipment. When people ask me about them, I provide them with information. Some of the members who do not want to be overwhelmed by incorrect information send private messages to me and ask their technical questions. My PM inbox is getting filled up very quickly. Most people do not realize that I do this as a volunteer. I spent a lot of time creating all the threads with sticky for the benefit of the members. My only compensation comes from their satisfaction.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
Blu-Dog Blu-Dog is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu-Dog's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
9
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intamin View Post
Very well said! The lack of originallity, or the unwillingness to audition and listen to different speakers/amps/receivers is sort of disheartening when you figure how much money will be spent on these purchases and how long they are meant to last. I'm not trying to slam emotive/polk/ed, but some originallity would be nice around here. I think there are a lot of other great companies that many people are over looking simply due to the fact that all that can generally be found here is the same few brands. All of the companies mentioned above do make good products, but I believe, and I'm sure there are plenty of others that would agree, that there is better to be had for a little more, or even the same price if you shop the used market.
I live in Southern California - home of lots of media companies, and tens of millions of consumers - and it's still not easy to get an unbiased listen to audio equipment. Retailers are not close to each other, prices are astronomical, and most of the retailers are not eager to spend time with people learning about high end audio.

Once outside of Southern California, it's nearly impossible to audition high end gear personally. The idea of blind-buying gear on from used gear venues is completely intimidating, even to me, and I have some idea of what I'd like to get.

I walked into an "ancient name" audio store in Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley, and couldn't get the time of day. Two physicians (the salesman was respectfully referring to both as "Doctor Whozis" and "Doctor Pompous" and doing everything except strewing rose petals at their feet) were being introduced to some sterling combination of Macintosh and Sonus Faber, which did sound very nice. I waited patiently while they talked, not being pushy.

So for some reason, my presence seemed to interrupt the sales guy's flow of blather, and he looked at them with the "let me dismiss this fellow" look and asked, very condescendingly, if there was something I wanted.

Yes, I said, I'd like the JL Audio Fathom subwoofer, if you have it in stock. Blew him away.

So he runs off to get it, and I wind up chatting with these two guys, who knew zilch point squat about real high end audio; they were just getting into it. So we talked about Sonus Faber, and Vienna Acoustics, which I already owned, and Macintosh, which I don't, and how much these things should cost.

Here's the point. When it comes to high end audio, the price of admission asked by these venues approaches ridiculous levels. I'd bought my way in by purchasing high end gear. If I had asked this sales turkey which of the high end amplifiers would be best with my Polk speakers, he'd have dismissed me like a servant that needed a haircut. I mention an expensive subwoofer, and he drops one wing and flutters in circles. This is disconcerting to a newbie just trying to figure out where he or she wants to go with this stuff.

Anyway, the guy comes back with my sub in this massive box, all frantic for this sale, and we're looking at him sweating like a coolie. The two docs say, thanks for helping us, we were just looking, and they split. So he was ignoring me, sucking up to them, and I wound up being his payday. It just stops making sense when folks looking for information go to some of these places. And there aren't many of them.

So looking at gear on line, then sending requests for info here to this website, may ironically be one of the best venues for people who can't spend the time going to see this stuff personally without great effort. It's a long drive to go see it, and when you get there, you might wind up being treated like a buffoon or worse...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
sokrman14 sokrman14 is offline
Special Member
 
sokrman14's Avatar
 
Mar 2006
Omaha, NE
9
32
1
1
Default

I love when we get threads like this. I only recommend an Emotiva to someone who wants an amp for under $1k, but if they are going to venture into the $2k, and above, Emotiva is out of the question. I agree with Purplegrasshopper that companies like Onkyo, Polk, Klipsch, Emotiva, etc are getting too much attention on these forums. They are all decent at best, good performance for a good price. not great performance. I love when we get threads like this because it brings some of these companies back to reality a little bit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
Intamin Intamin is offline
Power Member
 
Intamin's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Houston
35
318
Default

Blu, I've had a similar experience when I went to a local shop that carries high end gear, and it's unfortunate, although I'm sort of used to it now being that I'm only 21 most people just figure some kid wasting my time with no money. Anyways, I agree that it is intimidating going into those stores. Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post, but what I was trying to get at is that there are a lot of great companies out there, and people should research them as well and do the research on audio in general before making a purchase. I feel like what happens a lot of the time is people see the threads regarding ed/emotiva and just go, "oh, hey, that's great. I'll take it." and then make their purchase without ever listening to anything or looking at anything else. And yes, it does seem that audio retailers are a dying out. It's a shame.

Last edited by Intamin; 02-07-2009 at 03:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
STARKILLER--1138 STARKILLER--1138 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Emotiva is not better than other amplifiers. Many people buy Emotiva amplifiers because they are cheaper, not because they are better.
Right. Emotiva may not be better; but, they are just as good as the amps I've used from B&K, Rotel, Outlaw, Parasound, etc. It's not unreasonable to show a manufacturer that can provide an equal product at a better price a whole lotta love.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
Blu-Dog Blu-Dog is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu-Dog's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
9
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intamin View Post
Blu, I've had a similar experience when I went to a local shop that carries high end gear, and it's unfortunate, although I'm sort of used to it now being that I'm only 21 most people just figure some kid wasting my time with no money. Anyways, I agree that it is intimidating going into those stores.
Irritating to me, more than intimidating; snobbery seems a strange way to rank customers as they come in. I've seen stoney broke 21 year olds come in to places, look around, leave, then come back with clueless parents who listen to the kid's directions on what big-money purchase to make. I don't understand it when sales folks aren't 100% egalitarian, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intamin View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post, but what I was trying to get at is that there are a lot of great companies out there, and people should research them as well and do the research on audio in general before making a purchase. I feel like what happens a lot of the time is people see the threads regarding ed/emotiva and just go, "oh, hey, that's great. I'll take it." and then make their purchase without ever listening to anything or looking at anything else. And yes, it does seem that audio retailers are a dying out. It's a shame.
I get your point, it's a good one. In this forum, there are people coming into audio and video all at once - in a rough financial time. If they're new to all this, confidence building from hearing a concensus is a huge factor in making that leap, and concensus is generally on the higher end of the decision scale.

It had been quite some time since my last burst of audio purchases when I got into Blu-Ray, and I began at the lower middle end of gear when I began considering what to get. This was serious money, so I had my wife come along to evaluate what I was looking at.

Her standards were tougher than mine. Not only did it have to offer audio value; it had to have proper esthetics (we'd just moved into a new home, and she wasn't big on compromise) and she rejected the lower tier of equipment out of hand. It didn't look nice enough.

She also prefers to buy something of real value for more money, if it's possible to buy it at all. As a result, our standards went up, and we bought excellent equipment that looked and sounded like it was worth the expense.

I know not everyone is in a position to do this; and I look for value, too. Emotiva has excellent specs, but I can't hear it, and I dislike mail order on principle. But it's a good alternative to equipment costing three to five times as much. It's a tough call to make.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #19
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Louie View Post
Right. Emotiva may not be better; but, they are just as good as the amps I've used from B&K, Rotel, Outlaw, Parasound, etc. It's not unreasonable to show a manufacturer that can provide an equal product at a better price a whole lotta love.
There is no doubt that Emotiva provides consumers with very good value. However, you can make the same argument for almost any product. For example, Chevrolet versus Mercedes Benz or a Chevy Corvette versus Ferrari or Lamborghini.

This same argument can be made about a high-end Nikon or Canon versus a $100 point & shoot camera. I am not saying that Emotiva is like a P&S camera. I am just using that as an example.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #20
STARKILLER--1138 STARKILLER--1138 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
There is no doubt that Emotiva provides consumers with very good value. However, you can make the same argument for almost any product. For example, Chevrolet versus Mercedes Benz or a Chevy Corvette versus Ferrari or Lamborghini.

This same argument can be made about a high-end Nikon or Canon versus a $100 point & shoot camera. I am not saying that Emotiva is like a P&S camera. I am just using that as an example.
I don't know. I've never driven a ZR1 or F60. I have, however, driven a Shelby GT500 and would put all that I listed in that catagory. Except, we get GT500 performance at a Honda Civic price with the Emo.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Addicted!!! Newbie Discussion kdawq 131 08-23-2013 03:25 PM
Anyone else addicted? General Chat Dsella 18 01-23-2010 09:35 PM
Are you addicted to Blu??? Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology WaRe 11 11-16-2007 09:50 PM
Ok, so I'm addicted. PS3 Cyorg 29 09-14-2007 08:21 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29 PM.